Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2011, 15:45   #1336
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
What 50,000? Has the price hike for XUV been announced? Did I miss the news?
There was a report in TOI that Mahindra will increase prices of all its vehicles by 2-3% from Jan. I think this is what our friend below is referring too.

Since the current XUV prices are introductory ones, we can expect the XUV prices to be increased by 50k - 1L when bookings reopen.
pamishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 15:52   #1337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
What 50,000? Has the price hike for XUV been announced? Did I miss the news?
Mahindra to hike prices of all models by up to 3 pc from Jan

The author has posted comments on this articlePTI | Dec 15, 2011, 11.43AM IST

NEW DELHI: Auto major Mahindra & Mahindra today said it will raise the prices of its entire range of vehicles by up to 3% from January 1 due to rising input costs.

Mahindra & Mahindra (M&M) "would be raising the prices of its products by up to 3%, depending on models", the company said in a statement.

The upward price revision will be effected due to rising input costs over the last few months, it added.

Source - Mahindra to hike prices of all models by up to 3 pc from Jan - The Times of India

That is approx 12,82,000 x .03 = 38,460+Increase in road tax & Insurance.

Last edited by Crazy4Power : 20th December 2011 at 15:55.
Crazy4Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 20:55   #1338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefreak View Post
I picked up my XUV W8 about 10 days back and since then I've been besotted by its looks.
I'm a doctor by profession but an artist at heart
I was itching to shoot my handsome beast but was just not getting the time.
This Sat evening I finally took the XUV and my cam and clicked a few pics.
The pics are taken with a 550 D, the basic kit lens (18 - 55 mm) & a tripod
Wasn't so happy so I took it again on Sun morning and shot some more.
This set was taken with a hand held 550 and another basic zoom lens (55 - 250 mm)
Some enhancement (brightness / contrast / crop / resize) has been done in Microsoft Office Picture Manager.
Great pics Doc, Thanks for sharing

I would be looking forward to your ownership report
Old 20th December 2011, 23:02   #1339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Or maybe I should upload these on the XUV facebook page before anyone else does
Please do!

Quote:
BTW, if I write the text on a corner, can it not be cropped ?
The main reason why I suggested NOT to waste your time watermarking the pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohi_rao View Post
doctor saab your XUV500 pics are now on Mr Anand Mahindra's iPhotos.

@anandmahindra
anand mahindra
Outstanding! Have saved them to my iPhotos “@sratishs: @anandmahindra You will LOVE these! :-) Please take a look. team-bhp.com/forum/official…”
Quote:
Thanks for bringing it to my notice Rao.
It's indeed an honor that Anand Mahindra actually saw my pics and appreciated them (Which also means he's reading this thread !!! )
CONGRATS doc!

Not sure whether Anand Mahindra reads this thread! But I took the liberty of tweeting your pics to him without your permission. I am sure this is one of the finest way to "emotionally blackmail" you for more wonderful pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipun dhingra View Post
...At the time of booking I clearly explained them that I need the biling address to be of Amritsar to which they agreed ...

But now they are saying that they need any NCR address.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenchhillar View Post
I can book it in Gurgaon Sterling but, can only give my residence proof as of Rohtak (Haryana).
You guys can work out the temporary registration route right? Take a temp registration at the place of delivery, drive it to your native and register it there!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 20th December 2011 at 23:10.
Old 20th December 2011, 23:32   #1340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.D
4. Enginebay - rattles/clunking noise only at times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by o.D
The noise so far has been noticeable while being on the move and has been normal on starts.
Clunking noise on the move and not during start/stop? Can you attribute any pattern to it, like only while going over a bump, pothole, etc., or only while changing gears, etc?

In any case, please take it to the service station and get it checked. It could be as simple as a forgotten spanner under the bonnet or something more serious that needs a thorough inspection. Please post your findings either here or under a new ownership thread (please do give a link here).
Old 21st December 2011, 00:36   #1341
Senior - BHPian

Just came back from a long trip to Ranthambore. For the first time i got the tank filled completely and look what surprise i got from a 13 lakh car:

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-photo.jpg

The entire tank started spilling from the top. Couldn't figure out if it was the tank that was leaking or a pipe, cause initially it was very bad and must have leaked out atleast 2 liters in few minutes. Gradually after 40-45 minutes, it stopped. Almost 4-5 liters must have spilled.

Things didn't stop here. While coming back from Ranthambore, left side window glass came lose and refused to close. While pulling mirror up, it was bending forward towards the dashboard, hence it didn't go up as it was not in line window frame. My wife had to pull the mirror towards it original place while i pulled power window switch. Only then i was able to close it. Then had to put the child lock on for the mirrors so that we done open it again by mistake.

This was the most embarrassing moment for me as there were few friends with me on this trip and they all were as excited as i was to go for a trip on XUV. But it turned out to be a horror for us. I really doubt if this is a car of the year. People are just voting it as its just a VFM and now they can buy a SUV in 12-15 lakhs that looks good (and that's exactly the mistake i did). No doubt looks are great and engine is superb, but what about rest of the package. Either don't provide things that you cant take care of, but if you do, then make sure they work. What were they doing for 3 years testing it all around? My cruise control and voice command worked just once since i bought the car and now this. Did i pay 13 lakhs to visit Mahindra's workshop?

If Anand Mahindra is following this thread for Pics, then he should follow for issue's as well.
nitinralli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 01:22   #1342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli
Just came back from a long trip to Ranthambore. For the first time i got the tank filled completely and look what surprise i got from a 13 lakh car:
Oh, that's really bad. We are starting to hear more-n-more niggles from the early owners now.

Nitin, by any chance you tanked up in a pump under hot sun? Did the pump attendant close the cap properly and pressed the air release button as well?

Well, on the window panes not closing, the glass would have jumped out of it's guide. Did you go over any particularly bumpy terrain? Also was the door panel / glass removed and re-fixed at any point of time?

I understand the sentiments with new car - especially when it's XUV, however, am just trying to eliminate obvious reasons.

Last edited by GunMo : 21st December 2011 at 01:24.
Old 21st December 2011, 09:37   #1343
BHPian

Should I be concerned about too much electronics in my car?

It’s impossible to buy an automobile these days that has no electronics in it. Usage of electronics range widely based on segment, manufacturer, price, features, comfort, safety, etc. What exactly instigated this write-up? I booked an XUV W8 FWD for its value-for-money before even I took a test drive, but my mind started to take over soon after. The first thought that came to mind after the test drive was the possibility of electronic failure. Since the Electronics was my biggest concern, I attempted to quantify Reliability concerns (please allow me to caution you upfront that I made quite a few assumptions in my analysis and some of them could be way off – but it’s an honest attempt to convince myself).

Quality - How well a product conforms to its rated specs at time zero.
Reliability - How well a product conforms to its rated specs over time (Quality over time).

Usually manufacturers’ warranty covers Quality related issues. What if I’m provided 3 years / unlimited km warranty? What if the initial niggles are being sorted out at a rapid pace? It’s a very good reactive approach, but how about testing them in the first place before the product leaves the plant (proactive measure)? Looking at number of initial complaints posted here, one would wonder if the electronics are tested in the production line at all! While these niggles are pain value, by itself it shouldn’t be a deal breaker. Quality related issues surface typically in the first few months and they get fixed as part of warranty any way (It’s just pain value going to ASC).

What about reliability? Usually reliability of electronic components (semiconductor ICs) is specified in FIT rate(number of failures per billion hours). The failure rate follows what is known as a ‘bathtub’ curve. It simply means, the failure rate is high in the beginning and quickly comes down in the initial usage period stays constant for the next several years and finally goes up steeply towards the end of product life cycle. In plain English, if an electronic component works well in the first few months, then it continues to work well for many years without problems. Most of the tier-1 electronic component suppliers provide less than 10 FIT rate on their latest technology products. Assuming that the vehicle has about 40 electronic components (taking a ‘wild’ guess) and assuming 100 FIT rate (conservative estimate), the probability of an electronic component failure after 5 years is 0.66% and after 10 years is 1.32% !!! In other words, there is about 1 in 150 chance that you will replace an electronic component after 5 years. Is it so bad? Just like one needs to change consumables, tires, brake pads, clutch pads, etc during the course of automobile life, the electronic component replacement can also be added in. However the purpose of this calculation is to highlight the probability of any such replacement. You are welcome to play around with the reliability calculator to find out reliability trends (see attached xls file).

Is W8 worse than W6 when comes to Failure due to Electronics? If I assume 10 ‘extra’ electronic components in W8 version as compared to W6 version, then the actual probability of an electronic component replacement after 5 years goes up from 0.66% to 0.83%. So, the risks associated with electronic component replacement in W8 is not significantly higher than W6. But if you weigh in the safety features (ESP) of W8, the fractional drop in the reliability may be well worth it (at least in my view).

With all due respect, if the experts on this forum challenge or dispute this simplistic view that I expressed, it will be taken positively. Ideally speaking, if car manufactures publish their component failure rates (aka ongoing reliability monitors) as the electronic component manufacturers do, lot of these assumptions could be validated. Assuming that the car manufacturer sourced their electronics from tier-1 suppliers, the reliability, even with high number of electronic components is not so bad after all. Is it too good to be true? Perhaps not, as the reliability of electronic components is getting better and better – read 10 FIT (10 fails in 1,000,000,000 hours !!!).

Key Assumptions:
1. All electronic components (including sensors) have similar failure rates (< 100 FIT).
2. Number of electronic components in the car assumed to be 40 to 50 (actual number unknown).
3. The electronic system design conforms to the auto industry standards. (but looking at initial niggles, I have some doubts here)
4. All electronic components in the system operate within device specifications. (A best quality part when used in a poorly designed system may not be reliable).
5. Any system malfunction indicators (lights on the dash) get serviced without much delay.

Are all my concerns removed?
1. Not fully. My analysis is based on a lot of assumptions and I could be way off.
2. How well the electronics tested in production?
3. Though electronic components by themselves are very reliable in isolation, a ‘small weak link’ (design flaw or untested manufacturing defect) in the complete system can compromise overall reliability.
4. How well the ASC and technicians equipped to debug / fix issues related to electronics?
5. What fail-safe mechanisms are provided (in case of safety system failures)?
6. Electronics are subjected to extreme conditions in automobiles (temperature, moisture, shocks, etc…), so actual reliability could be much worse than what my simple excel analysis says.

Big Question: Am I still keeping my W8 booking? Yes for now (as the value for money proposition, though not as high as I initially thought, is still there).
Attached Files
File Type: xls CarComponentReliabilityCalc_rev1.xls (32.0 KB, 381 views)
smopuri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 09:53   #1344
SDP
Team-BHP Support

The issue with the glass pane is unfortunate and definitely not expected. For the fuel spilling issue, please find out what is the cause. I doubt, its a manufacturing or QC issue. There must be a simpler explanation.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 21st December 2011 at 11:50.
Old 21st December 2011, 10:06   #1345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Nitin,

Extremely sorry to read what you wrote. I fully agree to the point that if a malfunction occurs when you have just bought a new car and take a few friends out on the trip, its doubly demoralising. No two ways about that. having said that, I think that the fuel leakage issue should be 99.9% on account of some thing that you couldnt catch a s a run of the mill problem than a manufacturing defect. It shouldnt ideally be a pipe leakage ( else the fuel would have leaked earlier as well) or a tank leakage (Unless there is some leakage at a high point in tank whose effect became telling only when the tank was full to the brim).

The mirror story is disconcerting. why could this have happened? Strange, to say the least. I fully concur with you that when XUV was brought out as a VFM package, full attention should have been paid to the minutest of details. Instead, we have small time niggles cropping up which sometimes ruin the pleasure of driving a brand new car. I guess let guesswork be left around the corner and you should show this to the dealer workshop today or by the weekend- lets hear what they say.

Cheer up, I hope and wish that these are the first and last niggles you end up facing in the XUV.
Old 21st December 2011, 10:07   #1346
Senior - BHPian

Going through all the pages on this thread and all the pages on Ownership threads, it seems like M&M has made some 'gottcha!' mistakes in the first lot of XUV. Be it electricals, window panes, fuel/oil spilling from nowhere, etc.

M&M must tackle these issues ASAP before opening the next round of bookings for XUV. Its a nice product and the best ever from them. They need to handle the beauty with care.
Old 21st December 2011, 12:19   #1347
BHPian

Quote:
You guys can work out the temporary registration route right? Take a temp registration at the place of delivery, drive it to your native and register it there!
Yea, I did the same thing when I bought my Royal Enfield Classic 500cc from Chandigarh with temporary registration & then, got it registered in my native town. However, not sure if it will work in this case as well.

PLUS - biggest concern coming these days is about the reliability of our "best VFM SUV" - some random issues coming up on almost daily basis now. Please be advised here that only a few people post it on T-BHP. Rest of them (no so internet savy janta) dont know where to post it, except going to service station everytime. Such a pain to know about it. I now wonder that even Scorpio & XYLO are a better bet than XUV now as their initial niggles have been sorted out.
Reminds me of one famous line "pehle lene waalon ne kya paap kiye hain" :(

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 21st December 2011 at 16:12. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 21st December 2011, 13:26   #1348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Going through all the pages on this thread and all the pages on Ownership threads, it seems like M&M has made some 'gottcha!' mistakes in the first lot of XUV. Be it electricals, window panes, fuel/oil spilling from nowhere, etc.

M&M must tackle these issues ASAP before opening the next round of bookings for XUV. Its a nice product and the best ever from them. They need to handle the beauty with care.
With the number of issues being reported here (I am not sure how many unreported by owners who are not a member here) seems that this vehicle is going the original Skoda / Safari way .

The issues are enough to scare away a lot of potential buyers who may have to ome out of the euphoria of a VFM product to buy a niggle ridden product.

M&M needs to do do something concrete & fast to change this situation, price, marketing & RM's can sustain the sales for only a limited period time.
Old 21st December 2011, 14:20   #1349
BHPian

Hi...my AWD is now ready for delivery, but I was hoping to pick it up in Jan week 1 (so 2012 registration) instead of now. However, the dealer has cautioned me on two things:

1. There is some road tax increase for diesel cars (in Delhi) coming up that will increase on-road price for AWD by almost 50k
2. M&M are increasing prices too

Questions:

1. Are both of these expected to happen on Jan 1?
2. If M&M increase prices, will it affect us too - those who booked in the first lot (I did On Oct 3)
3. Or is this some ploy to get as many as possible to buy it before Merlin comes out

Does anyone have any insights on this, or suggestion for me?
Old 21st December 2011, 15:23   #1350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepSomeday View Post
Hi...my AWD is now ready for delivery, but I was hoping to pick it up in Jan week 1 (so 2012 registration) instead of now.
Don't wait, the prices @the time of delivery will be applicable & secondly you are lucky for getting AWD in Dec.

What was your earlier promised date ??

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks