Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2011, 11:17   #1381
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Other TBHP members deserve to know the reality and such a leakage issue is a critical problem and can be a major fire hazard. Why it is so scary is that the leaking fuel if ignited (though Diesel is less flammable than petrol), will take less than 60 secs to burn the whole car down and in this time it may not even be possible to get out of the car in time.

Regards,

Behemoth
Behemoth,

Diesel is not a flammable liquid and much safer than petrol. Even a blowtorch throwing flames will need some time to ignite Diesel, unlike petrol where just a small spark would be good enough to light the fire.

Having said this, above mentioned issues are unpardonable on Mahindra's side and shouldnt have happened.

Last edited by deepaktpatil : 23rd December 2011 at 11:21.
Old 23rd December 2011, 11:18   #1382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenchhillar View Post
one silly question apart from these initial niggles.

What is the interior color scheme of Grey Color XUV - is it the same as Silver ones ? Or something different.

I know Black & White comes with Beige interiors. So, just want to know if Grey comes with some "third" option of color scheme ?

More interested in Grey; only reason to incline towards White is the interior color.
Grey XUV would come with black & maroon interiors, beige is not an option.

Even I am in the same dilemma, I like a grey XUV but with beige interiors.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 11:41   #1383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenchhillar View Post
one silly question apart from these initial niggles.

What is the interior color scheme of Grey Color XUV - is it the same as Silver ones ? Or something different.
As far as my understanding goes, Grey has the same interior color scheme as Silver. Only Black and White colors have Beige interiors. Rest all Black/Plum interiors.
smopuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 12:07   #1384
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
Behemoth,

Diesel is not a flammable liquid and much safer than petrol. Even a blowtorch throwing flames will need some time to ignite Diesel, unlike petrol where just a small spark would be good enough to light the fire.

Having said this, above mentioned issues are unpardonable on Mahindra's side and shouldnt have happened.
Maybe we can clarify to all other members on this aspect!
All volatile liquids, be it diesel / petrol / ethanol, are measured for flammability on two aspects: Flash point and Autoignition temperature.
The flash point is the temperature above which it evaporates and forms an explosive mixture with air. The Autoignition temperature is the temperature at which the mixture ignites and actually burns. Typical values for these are given below for diesel and petrol.
Fuel Flash point Autoignition
temperature
Gasoline (petrol) −43 °C (Flashpoint) 246 °C (Autoignition temp)
Diesel >62 °C (Flashpoint) 210 °C (Autignition temp)

What this means is that petrol, even in low ambient temperatures, forms an explosive mixture, which just needs one small spark to ignite.
While Diesel will need to be heated to at least 62 Degrees to form an explosive mixture, which needs a spark / heat of 210 Degrees to ignite. Hence Diesel is safer in this aspect. But, in reality it could come very easily in contact with hot exhaust pipes and become volatile and ignite.
Behemoth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 19:31   #1385
BHPian

I have driven it for 5000 km by now and so far esp etc has always come to rescue. The it problem seemed initially was the tyre tronics that is yet to resurface after the first service that was done a week back.
Car is good no compromise whatsoever. Good product and they are going extra mile to rectify any problem if at all that owners are experiencing.
Service experience however was average.
rohitbagai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 21:32   #1386
BHPian

Today I drove my W6 thru Delhi's Gandhi Nagar, Laxmi Nagar, Chandni Chowk, Darya Ganj, Saket, Chirag Delhi and thru Nizammudin bridge. People living in Delhi/NCR will agree that these areas are notorious, highly traffic congestion areas but when I returned home I am as fresh as ever.

I never felt so fresh after driving almost 100 Kms. in Delhi, while driving my Santro. Santro is a wonderful car but XUV is just too GOOD.

My expectations from M&M is that if niggles appears, those should be resolved effectively and in quick time.
Joy73US is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 22:09   #1387
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I just hope that these major issues dont crop up like this and that too when its needed the most, rest all these gimmicks of voice command,start stop etc can be dammed.
Nitin, any update on the leakage? Did you got a chance to get it checked?

Rohitbagai, Joy73US,
Thanks for sharing positive reassuring updates about the XUV. For people like me who are waiting for the bookings to open, every time a new issue gets reported, the heart sinks and the brain starts questioning the heart. When we read reports like yours, the heart scolds the brain for being too paranoid.
Old 23rd December 2011, 22:35   #1388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Nitin, any update on the leakage? Did you got a chance to get it checked?

Rohitbagai, Joy73US,
Thanks for sharing positive reassuring updates about the XUV. For people like me who are waiting for the bookings to open, every time a new issue gets reported, the heart sinks and the brain starts questioning the heart. When we read reports like yours, the heart scolds the brain for being too paranoid.
Nope not yet as i have been busy with my office work. As i have the entire week off from monday, so will take it to the station on monday as it would be less crowded and would get everything checked. Lets see what they have to say. Will post whatever happens.
Old 23rd December 2011, 23:09   #1389
BHPian

Quote:
Nope not yet as i have been busy with my office work. As i have the entire week off from monday, so will take it to the station on monday as it would be less crowded and would get everything checked. Lets see what they have to say. Will post whatever happens.
Maybe I missed it - but how did you get home? Just never filled the tank full there after?

Since the day I took delivery - I have filled my tank full four times (not that Ive run it till empty ever time) and touch wood - never felt /smelt fuel leak- except when the attendent overfilled it the once.

Well regarding other issues just keeping my fingers crossed. As so far i'm still enjoying the vehicle.

Last edited by Gerardfdz : 23rd December 2011 at 23:29.
Old 23rd December 2011, 23:21   #1390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardfdz View Post
Maybe I missed it - but how did you get home? Just never filled the tank full there after?

Since the day I took delivery - I have filled my tank full four times (not that Ive run it till empty ever time) and touch wood - never felt /smelt fuel leak- except when the attendent overfilled it the once.

Well regarding other issues just keeping my fingers crossed. As so for i'm still enjoying the vehicle.
HOME!! i went to Ranthambore (380 kms from delhi) after this happened
As the leakage was from top of the tank, hence i waited till it stopped leaking and then did some testing too to make sure it doesn't leak anymore (by shaking the car and applying hard brakes). Once i was sure that it not happening anymore, i started my journey. I couldn't have canceled the trip as i was really looking forward to it, and of course, i had an image to take care too in front of my friends after this tragedy.
Old 23rd December 2011, 23:38   #1391
BHPian

Quote:
HOME!! i went to Ranthambore (380 kms from delhi) after this happened
As the leakage was from top of the tank, hence i waited till it stopped leaking and then did some testing too to make sure it doesn't leak anymore (by shaking the car and applying hard brakes). Once i was sure that it not happening anymore, i started my journey. I couldn't have canceled the trip as i was really looking forward to it, and of course, i had an image to take care too in front of my friends after this tragedy.
Well good to know you were shaken but nor Stirred!!
I too have done one "long" trip of 280kms one way - but a lot of ghat road - Went up to Mahableshwar- then further down to Tapola (not shown on the GPS-(MapmyIndia) but on Google!) real winding roads -So far done only 1400kms.
You really need to have it checked. Feel it may be a hose connection -return line most probably.
All the best and Keep us posted.
Old 24th December 2011, 15:07   #1392
BHPian

I've received my pearl white cheetah 3 days back! done 300+ KMs so far. Still getting acquainted with all the features but I must say I am impressed with this beauty so far.
Old 25th December 2011, 22:25   #1393
BHPian

Quote:
Just came back from a long trip to Ranthambore. For the first time i got the tank filled completely and look what surprise i got from a 13 lakh car:

The entire tank started spilling from the top. Couldn't figure out if it was the tank that was leaking or a pipe, cause initially it was very bad and must have leaked out atleast 2 liters in few minutes. Gradually after 40-45 minutes, it stopped. Almost 4-5 liters must have spilled.

Things didn't stop here. While coming back from Ranthambore, left side window glass came lose and refused to close. While pulling mirror up, it was bending forward towards the dashboard, hence it didn't go up as it was not in line window frame. My wife had to pull the mirror towards it original place while i pulled power window switch. Only then i was able to close it. Then had to put the child lock on for the mirrors so that we done open it again by mistake.

This was the most embarrassing moment for me as there were few friends with me on this trip and they all were as excited as i was to go for a trip on XUV. But it turned out to be a horror for us. I really doubt if this is a car of the year. People are just voting it as its just a VFM and now they can buy a SUV in 12-15 lakhs that looks good (and that's exactly the mistake i did). No doubt looks are great and engine is superb, but what about rest of the package. Either don't provide things that you cant take care of, but if you do, then make sure they work. What were they doing for 3 years testing it all around? My cruise control and voice command worked just once since i bought the car and now this. Did i pay 13 lakhs to visit Mahindra's workshop?

If Anand Mahindra is following this thread for Pics, then he should follow for issue's as well.
Hope u have identified the cause of the leak. I had anticipated some such problems during my initial look at the vehicle. See the link below:-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2546242

If it is really due to external object puncturing the tank you may need to fit some metal guards to protect it.
Old 26th December 2011, 09:27   #1394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefreak View Post
I picked up my XUV W8 about 10 days back and since then I've been besotted by its looks.
========
Some enhancement (brightness / contrast / crop / resize) has been done in Microsoft Office Picture Manager.
What awesome set of pics!!! Visual aesthetics of XUV 500 redefined in my head
Old 26th December 2011, 16:22   #1395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Maybe we can clarify to all other members on this aspect!
All volatile liquids, be it diesel / petrol / ethanol, are measured for flammability on two aspects: Flash point and Autoignition temperature.
The flash point is the temperature above which it evaporates and forms an explosive mixture with air. The Autoignition temperature is the temperature at which the mixture ignites and actually burns. Typical values for these are given below for diesel and petrol.
Fuel Flash point Autoignition
temperature
Gasoline (petrol) −43 °C (Flashpoint) 246 °C (Autoignition temp)
Diesel >62 °C (Flashpoint) 210 °C (Autignition temp)

What this means is that petrol, even in low ambient temperatures, forms an explosive mixture, which just needs one small spark to ignite.
While Diesel will need to be heated to at least 62 Degrees to form an explosive mixture, which needs a spark / heat of 210 Degrees to ignite. Hence Diesel is safer in this aspect. But, in reality it could come very easily in contact with hot exhaust pipes and become volatile and ignite.
As you said accidents can happen and what I was trying to say is that relatively diesel is a safer fuel. Please have a look at these two videos to understand my point. Still this doesnt mean that one can play with diesel in a careless manner.

Suggest we conclude this discussion here as its an OT and I dont want to hijack this thread away from the actual problems people are facing.
deepaktpatil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks