Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2012, 11:12   #1456
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Thanks

Hi guys,

I am now the proud owner of an XUV500 W8 AWD....I guess this would indeed be the first AWD on the forum !?

Took delivery on December 30, did a detailed PDI a day before (used a checklist some member had uploaded on this thread earlier...quite extensive..many thanks).

First impressions/observations:

1. It had done just about 7km at time of delivery, was showing a mileage of 9....I have since driven about 150km and average has steadily climbed up to 10.8. Havent had the chance yet to do a old fashioned tank-up calculation...so lets see

2. All electronics/mechanicals etc are running fine. Just one small irritant..

3. I am hearing a 'khat/khat' noise somewhere from the rear RHS suspension. Will have to get that checked. Maybe a week of driving to office @Gurgaon will expose other niggles....so waiting a week before going to the service station

4. Yet to engage the AWD lock....which is perhaps when I will notice the real difference (if any) in normal driving conditions between FWD and AWD

5. Took it to Reliance Autoworld over the weekend....got films on all windows and front screen (Vkool on sides, Llumar on front....cost a bomb...but then...) and DuPont paint protection done.

6. I'm still a little anxious about security...not v sure about a gear lock (this one takes a U-type thats so ugly that I cant bring myself to do it yet)....but more importantly, need something for a car-jacking situation (maybe those SMS based ones...where an SMS can immobilise the vehicle?)....please share experiences if any on those

7. Seems the chrome kit is quite popular....almost everyone was getting it...though I'm still leaning towards the original look...and since I have a Grey, the original black and grey looks quite nice. I was thinking about this rear bullguard (quite popular again)...it is very practical, saving the rear bumper (and its sensors) from scratches and dents...but the ugliness factor again...

8. The creaking noise when you open the rear boot door....yes its there....and its there in every other XUV at the dealership...I pointed it out (even referred to this being an 'actuator' fault, as someone had mentioned earlier on the forum), but the dealership guys saying its a normal opening sound and every XUV has it. Has anyone actually got this rectified?

9. Took it to my in-laws place over the weekend...never had such pleasure showing-off as I did there...LOL !!

10. Planning a trip to Shimla later in Jan...perhaps the AWD will come into proper play then...will post details after I return

11. I have a good insurance policy from TATA AIG...zero-dep plus with NCB protection (very cool rider)...I transferred a 65% NCB from my previous car...so saved a lot on this one !!

12. Few things I will install in the near future...(1) Illuminated scruff plate (2) Some SMS based security system (again...experts/seniors...please advise) and (3) Reverse camera as soon as Mahindra get it (or should I go for some other brand from outside? will they know how to wire it?)

Coming back to work after the festive/holiday season on a Monday morning at the start of the year wasnt as traumatic this time...LOL !!!

Hi Nitin...who is your RM? I guess the Koncept folks have two that they appoint alternatively...Is it Anil Varghese for you? Heard he is better of the two

Last edited by GTO : 3rd January 2012 at 15:05. Reason: merging posts. Please use edit option if posting within 30mins.
JeepSomeday is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 11:57   #1457
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepSomeday View Post
Hi guys,
Dear Jeepsomeday,

Congratulations on your new AWD. It surely must be a first on the forum, they hadnt started deliveries for a long time I guess. Good, good.

On the security point, I am fully with you on the point that the existing gear locks do look quite ugly, I had a look at one while window shopping for my XUV which is due this Feb, and I didnt like what I saw. Here's the deal. Go to this site: Microvbb.net. These guys are the best for sms based alerts and GPS tracking kinda stuff. Have a look! This is where they sell it :http://www.microretail.biz/

I guess its time to move on to sophisticated security gadgetry for an expensive vehicle like the XUV. And yes, go for the workshop once you have noticed all the niggles. No point touring them back and forth.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Infiniti.Rahul : 2nd January 2012 at 12:04.
Old 2nd January 2012, 12:14   #1458
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

I am now the proud owner of an XUV500 W8 AWD....I guess this would indeed be the first AWD on the forum !?

Coming back to work after the festive/holiday season on a Monday morning at the start of the year wasnt as traumatic this time...LOL !!!
Congratulations on becoming the first proud owner of W8 AWD on the TeamBHP forum!!!

> What is the month of manufacturing?
> How comfortable are the clutch and gear? I read some owners complaining about heavy / springy clutch and notchy gears.

Please do start a ownership thread!
Old 2nd January 2012, 12:37   #1459
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

!
hi
congratulation for your new ride
Can you send us pictures of AWD version with interior if there is any change ,AWD lock , AWD Monogram at rear ,AWD lock Display at Dial or In ICE?
thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 12:52   #1460
BHPian

How many people out there felt that the steering wheel rod touches your left foot; specially while making U-turns ??

Mentioned this to the SA & he showed his left shoe to me that was kind of chiseled from front just because of those 2 nuts that are on steering rod.
Old 2nd January 2012, 12:59   #1461
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi guys,

First impressions/observations:

...7. Seems the chrome kit is quite popular....almost everyone was getting it...though I'm still leaning towards the original look...and since I have a Grey, the original black and grey looks quite nice. I was thinking about this rear bullguard (quite popular again)...it is very practical, saving the rear bumper (and its sensors) from scratches and dents...but the ugliness factor again...

I'm glad that you lean toward the original look. The chrome may be in little sprinkles around, lightly garnishing the nose, but that doesn't take away the fact that it looks way too gawdy. Personally, it would have looked better without the LED DRL's too.

I suggest you avoid installing bull-bars. They don't respect the pedestrian-safety norms, and is never a good addition on a cross-over SUV like the XUV. It's just my personal opinion. Also, a rear bull-bar would probably foul with the sensors if not placed correctly.

And I believe bull-bars completely spoils the look of many SUVs around. While some can carry it off well, I highly doubt the XUV can. The front looks imposing as it is and very striking, despite the unshaven look.

Congratulations on having acquired the forum's first AWD W8.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenchhillar View Post
How many people out there felt that the steering wheel rod touches your left foot; specially while making U-turns ??

Mentioned this to the SA & he showed his left shoe to me that was kind of chiseled from front just because of those 2 nuts that are on steering rod.
I'm sorry for being a little juvenile, but that was hilarious!

Jokes apart, are you saying that your shoe will wear in that region with time and use?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd January 2012 at 13:11.
Old 2nd January 2012, 13:04   #1462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenchhillar View Post

Hey Naveen, Yes it does rubs through toe and already informed to my SA but it seems Mahindra doesn't have a solution for it till now. To avoide chiseled toe, I changed my habbit while pressing the clutch.
Old 2nd January 2012, 13:16   #1463
BHPian

Hi Jeepsomeday,
Many Congratulations on your delivery of AWD.
Quote:
Hi guys,
Took delivery on December 30, did a detailed PDI a day before (used a checklist some member had uploaded on this thread earlier...quite extensive..many thanks).
I am glad to know that the detailed checklist was helpful to you.
Wish you a long and joyful riding experience with your cheetah

Quote:
Few things I will install in the near future...(1) Illuminated scruff plate
I think the illuminated scuff plates should have been of Red color to match the theme of lounge/mood lighting. I am also thinking of putting them in my XUV but the blue color is what holding me off buying them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I suggest you avoid installing bull-bars. They don't respect the pedestrian-safety norms, and is never a good addition on a cross-over SUV like the XUV. It's just my personal opinion. Also, a rear bull-bar would probably foul with the sensors if not placed correctly.
And I believe bull-bars completely spoils the look of many SUVs around. While some can carry it off well, I highly doubt the XUV can. The front looks imposing as it is and very striking, despite the unshaven look.
When I went for filming I had got the rear bumper protector bar installed but then it was looking so 'out of place' with overall looks that I asked him to take it off. Now my search continues for good looking rear bumper protector

Last edited by DigitalSoul : 2nd January 2012 at 13:34. Reason: adding few more comments
Old 2nd January 2012, 14:18   #1464
BHPian

Folks, I went to the dealer yesterday to talk about finance and insurance processes. Although I didn't ask for a test drive, he offered one. Obviously I was happy to take one more and decided to check the issues reported by members here.

The test vehicle was showing about 2500 on the Odo.

1. Sound during braking - No issues on this. I didn't do real hard braking, but on normal braking no sounds were heard.

2. Door closing problems - None. All doors closed properly.

3. Infotainment system touch response - Ok. No freezes during the drive.

4. Getting GPS signal was fast. No issues.

5. Gear shift - Ok. No problems in putting to 1st and 2nd as people have experienced. But I won't still call it smooth.

6. Clutch - This is the bad part. When I released clutch first time it jumped forward suddenly. Needs to get used to it. Should have been smoother.
tachobells is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 14:43   #1465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
Folks, I went to the dealer yesterday...

6. Clutch - This is the bad part. When I released clutch first time it jumped forward suddenly. Needs to get used to it. Should have been smoother.
Hi Tachobells, Thanks for sharing your test drive experience. Please can you clarify the 'clutch' issue. Is it heavy to press down or too pushy to hold down and release? When I took my last test drive about a month ago, I felt the clutch to be somewhat smooth to press down, but while releasing after engaging the gear, I found it to have some sort of kick back. I agree with you, it needs some 'getting used to'.
Old 2nd January 2012, 15:07   #1466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smopuri View Post
Hi Tachobells, Thanks for sharing your test drive experience. Please can you clarify the 'clutch' issue. Is it heavy to press down or too pushy to hold down and release? When I took my last test drive about a month ago, I felt the clutch to be somewhat smooth to press down, but while releasing after engaging the gear, I found it to have some sort of kick back. I agree with you, it needs some 'getting used to'.
Yes, I had the same observation. It's while releasing. Felt like some force needs to be applied to release it smoothly. Also, there seems to be a point where the car jumps forward and stalls.

I've not driven SUVs so much so that I can't understand if this is ordinary behavior. But definitely the clutch action is different from the hatches or sedans I've driven.
tachobells is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 15:14   #1467
Senior - BHPian

First casualty of all the issues / glitches in my circle, when a friend of mine cancelled the booking lask week and booked the facelifted Fortuner. He was supposed to get the delivery of the W8, AWD on 18th Jan, but all the negative vibes made him jittery.

I for one was eagerly waiting for his vehicle before I took the plunge myself (last time around I brought the Scorpio first and he followed based on my initial feedback)
Old 2nd January 2012, 16:01   #1468
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
4. Yet to engage the AWD lock....which is perhaps when I will notice the real difference (if any) in normal driving conditions between FWD and AWD
Congrats JeepSomeday:

Please note that AWD Lock is meant to use only to extricate yourself if the vehicle is stuck. It is not meant to be used on the road. Anways, the software will disable AWD Lock after about 15 kmph or so.

Please review the relevant chapter of use manual before using AWD Lock.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 16:05   #1469
BHPian

QUERY -> I booked a W8 moondust silver color and the expected delivery date is early Feb. Trying to change the color to dolphin grey. Any idea if that can be done without undue delay or booking cancellation? Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd January 2012, 16:40   #1470
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
Hi All,

Actually this behaviour of the clutch is very typical to all vehicles equipped with a Dual-Mass-flywheel. It does have a slight tendency to stall if you are not used to the Clutch engagement zone and don't rev the engine slightly. This is visible in both our Skoda Yeti and our XUV5OO. The benefits of a DMF are : smoother idling and lower noise levels, improved fuel economy and quicker engine response (RPM increase), compared to engines without a DMF.

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks