Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2012, 17:29   #2131
mxx
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Ok, all this is great. But, why mahindra is not taking new AWD bookings? the jan lottery did not have option of awd right?
Old 10th March 2012, 18:04   #2132
BHPian

Thank you, will start the ownership thread after i get to try out the awd. The air pressure is as per company recommendation- 32 psi front and 30 psi rear. I have switched to nitrogen for they tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Awesome car! Please start an ownership thread too, we are yet to see an AWD thread I guess! I LOVE that chrome bit on the fog lamps - Looks SUPERB!
The air pressure is correct in all tires?
Old 11th March 2012, 01:32   #2133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Going by the teaser pics, I guess there is a LOT to look upto your ownership thread! Is there a plastic cover on the GPS screen ? And as I said earlier, grey on XUV is SOLID COOL!
Hi,yes!There is a plastic cover on the GPS!The Grey looks nice I must agree.An update,more of a bad update is that the car took a hit at the rear lefthand side.The driver whilst taking the car in reverse bumped it into a truck!The car's being sent to the bodyshop next week.Will post the picture.But yes,definitely feels bad.Will start an ownership thread,or contribute to the other AWD ownership thread if started as being discussed. :-)
Old 11th March 2012, 10:52   #2134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Ok, all this is great. But, why mahindra is not taking new AWD bookings? the jan lottery did not have option of awd right?
As per M&M they have not completed the AWD delivery from 1st booking. I believe this is true since one of my friends is still waiting for his AWD to arrive.
-HCP
Old 11th March 2012, 15:52   #2135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubbi555 View Post
An update,more of a bad update is that the car took a hit at the rear lefthand side.The driver whilst taking the car in reverse bumped it into a truck!The car's being sent to the bodyshop next week.Will post the picture.
Oops, thats B-A-D! I request you to keep the pics for later, am sure none of us like to see dents on a brand new car. Please post all other pics initially that will make all happy.

You can make a report of the dent & fix along with the costs, quality of job etc and post it later, in the ownership thread, but not in the first page at-least.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2012, 23:31   #2136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubbi555 View Post
Hi,yes!There is a plastic cover on the GPS!
Peel off the plastic cover and replace it with a scratch guard instead. The display is more clear, brighter and most importantly touch screen is more responsive.
Old 12th March 2012, 12:02   #2137
BHPian

Friends,
Just completed 500kms on my Black W6.

Small observation though:

1. When I play songs using a pen drive in Random Mode (Folder/ All) - it somehow doesn't pick songs beyond serial no. 200. However, my pen drive contains almost 500-700 songs. Insane. If I play them in series - it is ok.

2. Somehow, I don't know what is the reason. Earlier, when car was restarted - Music player used to start from previous song that was played before car STOP. But, now it is starting with 1st song in the playlist :(
Old 12th March 2012, 16:04   #2138
BHPian

Guys an update, my XUV odo now reads 8300kms, and apart from a few niggles, I am overall quite happy with my experience so far.

Now for the horror story, for some of you may remember my XUV started spilling diesel from a cut on its main fuel line on 4th Feb, the car was stationary for more than 18hrs, and i had just last day got the tank full. The leak wasn't major, so only lost around 5-7 litres of fuel, but the leak itself was enough to scare me and make me go running to the M&M CC to sort it out. Since I noticed the leak only in the evening (after 6PM), it was extremely courteous of Indraprastha Auto to take my car in and temporarily tape the leak, and attend to the same the next morning. Well long story short, the workshop insisted that it is due to a damage caused from the outside, but I didn't agree as there was no logic to it, and they happily changed the part under warranty. The damage was on the mainline, quite near to clips which hold the pipe to the underbody of the car.

Fast forward, 9th March, Friday, while driving into work, I again get the tank full, and park the car in my designated parking in the Underground car park , right next to a guard post. I park my car in the spot at around 10AM, and return in the evening at 7PM and I find, again a puddle of diesel underneath the car and drops at every 4seconds, coming from almost the same area as before. Again call up Indraprastha and they oblige, this time I am well aware of the action plan, so I waste no time, and drive to the workshop around 30km away. I reach at about 8:30PM, they have asked for a technician to stay back, he quickly takes the car in, put it on the lift and get underneath to see once again cracks in the main fuel line again just at the point where the clip is. He quickly applies black electrical tape and plugs the crack and assures that they have the part in stock and would be changed in the morning. The car has till now, not lost more than 2 litres of fuel in total, the fuel gauge still showing a resilient full tank.

I get the call again next morning, that according to the workshop, they again feel there has been a foul play and someone has deliberately tore the line enough for a few drops. I laugh it out, and tell them to get it change soon, and I am on my way to the workshop. I reach the workshop, and by now I know most of the staff working on my XUV, and there seems to be an air of suspense and excitement, as they are all coming up with theories of what could have happened. Well needless to say, they keep up with their story and I keep up on my side, insisting that there is no one foolish and jobless enough to fiddle with the fuel line after getting underneath the car, only to the extent that there is a drop-drop leak. In their hearts they realize its silly to imagine that, and promptly replace the part.

But this time, I am baffled what is happening. I enquire around to see if they have heard of another case like mine, twice in 2 months. The answer is a resilient no, with theories coming from each on what might have happened. I politely told the SM, the characteristics and build quality of the main fuel line must be same all across M&M, which are driven on the harshest of terrains in India, and how could he expect that a stone, or something else hitting the underbelly, would have done the damage twice on the almost smooth tarmac of Delhi. I also persuaded him to use a hammer on the damage line to show him how resilient this part is, and it is unlikely that a underbody scrape / bump did it. But since, they have no clue of what could be the real reason, they thus maintained to their story. I decided it was enough and understood there is no shortcut here, and I will have to report the same to M&M.

I get my car delivered back, its all fine, again the fuel gauge is still on F, but this time my confidence is a bit shaken.

Guys, I am baffled with whats happening, and can think of no explanation myself, does anyone has a theory? Anyone else experiencing anything similar (I hope not)?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img00159201203091901.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img00160201203091901.jpg  

Old 12th March 2012, 16:43   #2139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
Guys an update, my XUV odo now reads 8300kms, ...
Guys, I am baffled with whats happening, and can think of no explanation myself, does anyone has a theory? Anyone else experiencing anything similar (I hope not)?
uploading the videos from the 2 incidents,

the one in which tape is being put is the latest one, where the M&M guy is taping it up, so it can be looked into the next morning

the other one, is where they are taking the tape off, to analyze the leak..(first incident)
Old 12th March 2012, 16:46   #2140
Senior - BHPian

It is indeed quite baffling to say the least. If we rule out the theory of someone tampering that part deliberately & it getting an underbody hit, the only source I can guess is a nuisance creature, a rodent. As you might be aware a rat's teeth are always growing & they try to nibble at whatever they get. By any chance your office parking has any of these creatures? Did you observe any nibbling marks around the clip/pipe that had the leak?

I had a case of leaking diesel in my Indica when car had run around 87K kms (exactly in the same fashion as yours, I saw a puddle of diesel collected underneath the car in the car park, when it was parked there overnight). Later when I went to the service centre & the car was raised on a ram, the diesel was found to be leaking around the centre seam of the fuel tank near the holding bolt (note that old Indica tanks were built in two halves having seamless welding all around the peripherry). I had no other option but to replace the tank. It could have been fixed by proper welding, but didn't want to take any risk with the tank. Since then have driven 21K kms, no issues whatsoever.
Old 12th March 2012, 17:28   #2141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
It is indeed quite baffling to say the least. If we rule out the theory of someone tampering that part deliberately & it getting an underbody hit, the only source I can guess is a nuisance creature, a rodent. As you might be aware a rat's teeth are always growing & they try to nibble at whatever they get. By any chance your office parking has any of these creatures? Did you observe any nibbling marks around the clip/pipe that had the leak?
AutoIndian, I had suspected a pest, but the marks do not resemble nibbling, they are 1 inch long scratches / cuts, which could have been from a dog's teeth, if that. However, I am prstty positive that it is not from a dog as well, as both incidents happened at different places: the first one at my home, and the second one at my office.

The common factors from both these however, was these happened after I have got the tank full and happened just around the clip area. The only theory that I could formulate, is that on tank full, the pipe has excessive pressure, and since the clip, sort of squeezes the pipe, the excess pressure over a few tank fulls are leading to a wear around the clip area, leading to the leaks.

However, if this was the case, there would have been a lot more cases of similar incidents. Something must be wrong pertaining to my car. Thus according to my theory something is malfunctioning creating excessive pressure on the pipe, which may be fuel parts leading to/from the pipe.

I didnt wanted to mention my theory, as I didnt wanted to sidetrack the discussion? Any other theories are welcome.

Last edited by AGwagon : 12th March 2012 at 17:31. Reason: misspelt the name of another member
Old 12th March 2012, 18:43   #2142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
AutoIndian, I had suspected a pest, but the marks do not resemble nibbling, they are 1 inch long scratches / cuts, which could have been from a dog's teeth, if that. However, I am prstty positive that it is not from a dog as well, as both incidents happened at different places: the first one at my home, and the second one at my office.

The common factors from both these however, was these happened after I have got the tank full and happened just around the clip area. The only theory that I could formulate, is that on tank full, the pipe has excessive pressure, and since the clip, sort of squeezes the pipe, the excess pressure over a few tank fulls are leading to a wear around the clip area, leading to the leaks.

However, if this was the case, there would have been a lot more cases of similar incidents. Something must be wrong pertaining to my car. Thus according to my theory something is malfunctioning creating excessive pressure on the pipe, which may be fuel parts leading to/from the pipe.

I didnt wanted to mention my theory, as I didnt wanted to sidetrack the discussion? Any other theories are welcome.
Dont worry bro, you are not alone in this

If you go back in this thread, you can find my post with Pics relating to same issue. I too had this same issue when i got the tank full for the first time right before going out to Ranthambore, and this happened at night. So i had to wait till diesel stopped leaking and went ahead with the trip. Made sure that i didnt fill up to top. After coming back from the trip went to service station and reported the same. They told me it was the clip leading to the tank that was loose and had to be replaced. Initially i thought the tank had a crack or something but it was the clip that was the culprit.

Well till now i have not faced the same problem after the replacement, though i tend not to fill her up to full all the time (something at the back of the head tells me not to)
Old 12th March 2012, 19:19   #2143
BHPian

If the cuts in the pipe are around the area where the clips are applied then the only reason i can think of is the clips have been excessively tightened causing the pipe to develop cracks.
Old 12th March 2012, 19:29   #2144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
If the cuts in the pipe are around the area where the clips are applied then the only reason i can think of is the clips have been excessively tightened causing the pipe to develop cracks.
Given my Scorpio experience M&M pipes (including the wire housings) have a tendencey to degrade and crack at regular intervals. I never faced these issues with a Maruti (WagonR) and Tata (Estate).
Old 13th March 2012, 10:45   #2145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
After 5 months or waiting finally got delivery of my W8 XUV500 AWD at Sireesh Auto Bangalore. Some photos of the delivery and drive back to Mangalore
Congrats Anand!

It was a long wait, wasn't it.

Wishing you safe and happy miles ahead.
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks