Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2012, 16:08   #2236
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

XUV5oo bookings starting tomorrow again?
I got a call from Koncept Mahindra asking me if I would be interested again in booking the car. Seems like the initial enthusiasm has died down.

And to consider I got my DD amount back just couple of weeks ago. Wonder what has changed?
Dieseling is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 16:48   #2237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_sin View Post
As u have Added a Sound processor it implies the Unit on XUV does not Amp Output... ?

I was also thinking about adding a rear bull bar and sidestep for making getting in and out easier.

What do u think i should in invest in as off just now?

I was also thinking about HID but warranties issues stops me from that..... Had my fair share of burnt bulb holders(even for the holders with relay)...
Side Steps are really not required, as it is not that tough to get in the car (unless you have some real elder people onboard).

HIDs again - not required, because stock lights are more than what you get in any other car. Brilliant, I must say.
naveenchhillar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 17:09   #2238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseling View Post
I got a call from Koncept Mahindra asking me if I would be interested again in booking the car. Seems like the initial enthusiasm has died down.

And to consider I got my DD amount back just couple of weeks ago. Wonder what has changed?
Based on what I understood from the dealer, this is opened only for those who did not get it during the second phase of booking. Guys with unlucky lotteries.
Old 10th April 2012, 18:02   #2239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

This forum has been extremely helpful for me since 2007.I had bought a SwiftD and a Honda City Auto through the reviews on this forum. Yet Again i need help from the Gurus here. I am getting my XUV - W8 on Sunday(15th April) and have a few Questions:

1. How are Tyres of the stock vehicles, I mean is 235 R17 sufficient or i will need to upgrade. I would be driving mainly on tarmac in Delhi - NCR. With minor offroading.
2. Should i install Bull Bars?
3. How is Speaker quality? I mean i don't expect them to be state of the art, but are they livable for the time being as i am currently budget strapped.
4. Can I fix a Gear lock on in the vehicle, I mean the internal single bar one?
5. Any other thing with current owner need to advice?
1. XUV is more a crossover and not a proper Offroader like Jeeps and Gypsys. Even if you W8 is an AWD there are limitations to its offroad capability. For this limited use, the stock tyres are sufficient. Even if you upgrade to BFG Tyres, it would not add a wee bit to your offroading.

3. There are incidents of stock speakers jarring but are replaced under warranty. This is sufficient to Non-Enthusiast. If you are an Audiophile, you need to upgrade them.

4. Yes - Gear lock can be installed on any vehicle. Try Xenos for a head start. The gear lock generally bolted to the frame of the vehicle.(Please go through threads on this forum)

5. There are many niggles with the XUV as reported by members. Be Mentally prepared for some niggles, however most of them are solved by the A.S.S and your CRM. Rear-most seat suited only for children.

Last edited by GTO : 13th April 2012 at 11:43. Reason: Please do NOT make irresponsible statements about pedestrians on this forum. These kind of posts will NOT be tolerated.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 18:29   #2240

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
1. XUV is more a crossover and not a proper Offroader like Jeeps and Gypsys. Even if you W8 is an AWD there are limitations to its offroad capability. For this limited use, the stock tyres are sufficient. Even if you upgrade to BFG Tyres, it would not add a wee bit to your offroading.

2. There are many views on the forum that do not support the use of a bullbar owing to pedestrian safety. I personally value my bumper more than a pedestrian, since Indian law does not penalize Jaywalkers and bikers who hit your rear bumper. If you hit a jaywalking pedestrian at a signal, where its green for you and you are wearing your seatbelt and are within the permissble speed limits, Still 99% of the cases the indian law would term you guilty. I would suggest you to install a bull-bar if you value bumper more than anything else. This is just my view and not mean to hurt people who think otherwise.

3. There are incidents of stock speakers jarring but are replaced under warranty. This is sufficient to Non-Enthusiast. If you are an Audiophile, you need to upgrade them.

4. Yes - Gear lock can be installed on any vehicle. Try Xenos for a head start. The gear lock generally bolted to the frame of the vehicle.(Please go through threads on this forum)

5. There are many niggles with the XUV as reported by members. Be Mentally prepared for some niggles, however most of them are solved by the A.S.S and your CRM. Rear-most seat suited only for children.
Thanks for the valuable info: scopriobharath

To some extent i do agree with your views on Bullbars, if i find a rite match i might install in front also. Can you please post a photo/give link the bull bar you installed? I havent been able to find the right match for the front bull bar to the XUV.

Also what do u mean by bolted to the frame of the vehicle, should i search in this thread or teambhp forum as a whole.
Old 10th April 2012, 20:25   #2241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath
2. There are many views on the forum that do not support the use of a bullbar owing to pedestrian safety. I personally value my bumper more than a pedestrian, since Indian law does not penalize Jaywalkers and bikers who hit your rear bumper. If you hit a jaywalking pedestrian at a signal, where its green for you and you are wearing your seatbelt and are within the permissble speed limits, Still 99% of the cases the indian law would term you guilty. I would suggest you to install a bull-bar if you value bumper more than anything else. This is just my view and not mean to hurt people who think otherwise.
Bull-bar is a big no-no not only for pedestrian's safety but for your own safety as well. Installing bull bar does impact the crumple zones and in case of high speed head-on collision, due to bull-bars, the crumple zone will not work as they are intended to and chassis will get direct impact. I would be rather happy to fix scratched bumper rather than having to deal with chassis and other body integrity issues due to head on collision.

I would not install bull-bar at all but it's your opinion.
Nitrous Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 20:48   #2242
BHPian

^^along with crumble zone effect, there were even discussion regarding airbag's not getting deployed due to Bull-bar installation. If the vehicle is equipped with airbags, please avoid bull-bars. I think we spend the money on cars to keep us safe, not to keep the bumper safe. :-)
Ford_madhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 21:36   #2243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseling View Post
I got a call from Koncept Mahindra asking me if I would be interested again in booking the car...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Based on what I understood from the dealer, this is opened only for those who did not get it during the second phase of booking. Guys with unlucky lotteries.
Looks like M&M dealers are contacting those who had made the booking but lost in the draw. I guess this is due to the extra bookings done by the same people & based on the cancellations from those who won multiple entries. Those who lost out last time, why don't you call up the dealership and try to get into the top list? You might be lucky if you take the initiative once again!
Old 10th April 2012, 21:41   #2244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Looks like M&M dealers are contacting those who had made the booking but lost in the draw. I guess this is due to the extra bookings done by the same people & based on the cancellations from those who won multiple entries. Those who lost out last time, why don't you call up the dealership and try to get into the top list? You might be lucky if you take the initiative once again!
I did.
Dealers dont seem to have confirmed information on this yet. Dealer at Delhi is more informed than ones here. They may still be waiting for information from their zonal/regional office it seems.
Not sure if tehy have chosen a set of people out of the rest in 2nd phase, not sure if they would be able to take bookings for all who did not get selected.
Old 11th April 2012, 08:53   #2245
BHPian

During this week, its the second time I am seeing XUV traveling in a rescue truck. Both vehicles didn't seem to have any external damages, so assuming that they were break-down cases.

I had taken 2 lotteries during the second phase, I didn't get a booking, was planning book again during third phase. Now skeptical about the quality of the vehicle in long run. Posting one of those pictures I have taken using mobile camera from a moving vehicle. This one seem to be an AWD version from the sticker on boot lid. Apologies for the poor picture quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0129.jpg  

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 11th April 2012 at 09:07.
Old 11th April 2012, 10:14   #2246
Senior - BHPian

^I understand, I was a bit taken aback with the issues being reported. I also heard from a couple owners (at work who got it during the first phase of booking) that its a problem free experience for them except a small USB plug-in issue so far. So, overall there are enough issues been reported where one needs to re-think about it. With those reviews and issues reported, I also started looking out for Scorpio and another vehicle that I wish I can buy, but nothing really worked out for me and I still have this image of XUV as a product with good core capabilities that one would want from a highway tourer and one of the most important thing I have been observin is the attitude of M&M towards fixing these issues being reported by owners and their success in achieving that so far. Those two things are something that I'll go for.

Its confirmed, either today or tomorrow, they may start taking the booking. However, they may go by some sequence and doesnt look like its a first come first serve basis here. They are prioritizing the 2nd phase booking applicants who didnt get it during that phase. By end of April, one may have the delivery dates which may span over next 4 months like other phases of the booking.
One will have to go with the same dealer as he booked with during the second phase and can change the color and vairent if needed - No AWD again. I hope they have more niggles fixed with this lot.

Last edited by Ketan : 11th April 2012 at 10:15.
Old 11th April 2012, 10:43   #2247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
During this week, its the second time I am seeing XUV traveling in a rescue truck. Both vehicles didn't seem to have any external damages, so assuming that they were break-down cases.

I had taken 2 lotteries during the second phase, I didn't get a booking, was planning book again during third phase. Now skeptical about the quality of the vehicle in long run. Posting one of those pictures I have taken using mobile camera from a moving vehicle. This one seem to be an AWD version from the sticker on boot lid. Apologies for the poor picture quality.
Not necessary buddy. Yesterday I saw a brand new Swift Dzire being towed. I did have a reg. number. I was about to click a pic when luckily the car came to a halt at a signal. Externally the car was spotless & did not look like it had any accident. So most probably it was a break down case. I asked the guy sitting at the wheel of the Dzire as what exactly happened. He said that a huge iron rod has punctured the car's fuel tank! It was being towed to the A.S.S. to get the fuel tank replaced.
Old 11th April 2012, 11:47   #2248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post

I hope this is a typo or you are being flippant, this view is frankly insane! We can't have a society where people value plastic bumpers more than human life and claim to be civilized, views like this reduce everyone existence. I know in India we tend not to value life much but this is the most brazen unapologetic display yet. Civilization places a responsibility on you, to respect human dignity and life.

Last edited by raul : 11th April 2012 at 11:51.
raul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 13:00   #2249
BHPian

xuv bookings have started again got this sms today morning

we thankyou for participating in the XUV 500 Draw Process.We are extremely happy to inform you that the unsuccessful applicants of the draw now have opportunity to book XUV 500.for more information please eel free to contact Mr.Avinash 8652223646,Mr.Dinesh 8652223626 & Mr.Imtiyaz 8652223628.or else you can contact G3 MOTORS LTD Kandivali west.
Old 11th April 2012, 16:17   #2250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the valuable info: scopriobharath

To some extent i do agree with your views on Bullbars, if i find a rite match i might install in front also. Can you please post a photo/give link the bull bar you installed? I havent been able to find the right match for the front bull bar to the XUV.

Also what do u mean by bolted to the frame of the vehicle, should i search in this thread or teambhp forum as a whole.
Oops - I dont have an XUV but was just planning for one. The plan is now shelved as i am expecting a transfer to another state in my job. Given the Indian motor vehicle / RTO & Policing scenario, I am better off buying a vehicle post my transfer. There are Authorized Mahindra Bullbar in the XUV Site.

The Gear Lock assemble is bolted on to the frame of the vehicle and the bolt-heads are sheared / shaved so that a car thief cannot just dismantle the lock. One would need to "ramp" the car and drill a hole through the bolt using a HSS Dril bit. It is a Professional job and not for a petty thief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
I hope this is a typo or you are being flippant, this view is frankly insane! We can't have a society where people value plastic bumpers more than human life and claim to be civilized, views like this reduce everyone existence. I know in India we tend not to value life much but this is the most brazen unapologetic display yet. Civilization places a responsibility on you, to respect human dignity and life.
I certainly respect Human life but the way I (Also A human) are treated by the Automobile scoeity (Other road Users in General) is so pathetic that i am frustrated about other things. Take asimple case, if i stop at a red light, Many fellow motorists shout and use bad words at me, eventhough its a law to stop at red light. Even when i stop at a signal, bikers crash on to my rear bumper and even if i call the police, they support the biker only. As mentioned in XUV Thread, If i hit a jaywalker, The court still terms me guilty in India. In Dubai / US / UK if you hit a jaywalker you are let go Scott-Free. It is not so in India. Once Indian Law learns to respect people (not only the victim as in most cases) probably i will concur with you and remove bull bars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks