Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2012, 17:10   #2086
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Here's few pics of my Jaisalmer trip with the monster.Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_0011.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_0024.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_0042.jpg

Name:  IMG_0043.JPG
Views: 8174
Size:  94.0 KB

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_0044.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_0045.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_0049.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_0112.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_0114.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_0113.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_0153.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_0162.jpg

Mods: Since i don't have a travelogue thread and don't have time to open one, hence pasting few pics here.

Last edited by GTO : 6th March 2012 at 15:55. Reason: We do NOT allow pictures of speeding on public roads. Thanks
nitinralli is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2012, 21:10   #2087
BHPian

Any information on when the W8 AWD version bookings would start? I'm sure the AWD system will also bring its share of niggles.
Old 4th March 2012, 01:22   #2088
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing those pictures Nitin,
That 30kmph looks to be merely at 2500rpm, thats very encouraging. I'm sure you have had great time during the trip.

Please find some time and post a trip log or even a picture-log with your long drive experience will be helpful.

Wish you many more safe and fun miles with your ride!
Old 4th March 2012, 22:10   #2089
Senior - BHPian

Thought of sharing a good video. I don't know if it has been shared here -

Mods, delete if such a post already exists.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2012, 23:00   #2090
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Received one refund of 80K on 2nd Mar. The other is awaited.
Old 5th March 2012, 00:21   #2091
Senior - BHPian

Ok now comes the experience with the monster on open highways.

As you might know, rajasthan roads are simply awesome. It doesn't feel as if its part of india. With open roads, no traffic and no human beings crossing the roads, you can just floor the pedal of your cars and zoom on. Thats what i did with the monster too. Most of the time the cruising speed was around 120 kmph and once touched 170 with wife coming in between to stop me to go over that speed. I could have easily done 190 + but then sense prevailed and i stopped at 160.

Since i did this trip last year in Fiesta, hence i could relate it her. I could feel the difference between a sedan and an SUV. One thing that straight away came to my mind was that for these kinda roads, sedans are best suited. Reason: Sedan like Fiesta, has complete control with driver at high speeds giving precise feedback through steering, braking and body roll. Suv's are not meant to do these kinda roads and XUV is not an exception here. It's not that it was bad but since as i said i had been here with Fiesta, hence everything i did with XUV, i was comparing it with her.

With XUV, there is a bit of body roll with uneven roads. And stretches from Bikaner to Jaisalmer has few of them and they come without any warning. Being and SUV, i had to slow down to take care of them. Times when i failed to do so, there was an extreme roll making me feel as if i was driving Scorpio. No doubt she can eat bad roads with potholes like a tiger on a sheep, but it struggles to handle on uneven roads. There is too much body roll.

Brakes: Now this is something that i wasn't happy from day one. They are too vague and not at all precise. It does not give that feedback that you want. But mind you, they are pretty effective when it comes to stopping. Now you might be wondering what the heck is this guy talking. Well what i meant to say is, that breaks are effective no doubt, but the feel is missing. Dont know how i can put this, but people who drive Fiesta should take a test drive of XUV and then they will know what the hell i am talking bout:-P. No doubt they are effective when it comes to stopping the car, specially at high speeds, thanks to all wheel disk brake, but the feel is missing. Let me try to put this in this way (hope i make sense, if not, who cares:icon_mrgreen When in traffic and you are getting late and want to drive like a rally driver, then XUV brakes does not make you confident as there is hardly and feedback and then suddenly you realize that you have applied too much brakes resulting in a fender bender from the back ( and thats exactly what happened to me some time back while going to office if you guys remember).

Now comes the turbo lag. XUV does have one and it can create problems if you drive cars like Fiesta which does not know what turbo lag is. I did had few scary moments while over taking trucks and i had to really push XUV to get ahead. It takes time to do her bit, but mind you, when she does, she can realy kick anyone's :buttsway:. Its just that mahindra could have worked on turbo lag then she would have been a real monster. You have to be in a range of 1500 - 1700 RPM and above to get her going. Below that, just forget it (unless you want to be a poster in front of a truck coming from the other side).

Now you guys must be wondering there is so much negative in XUV, but its not. When you compare with other SUV or MUV's, she can can kick any ones :buttsway:. I had few inova's and safari's trying to compete with me on this trip. And trust me, she killed them all. With the 4th gear, you can do wonders with her. She go's from 40kmph to 140 in no time. And with 6th gear, she can cruise at 140 at 2500 RPM, giving you best of mileage. XUV is meant for highway driving as she eats up all kinds of roads and gives you good mileage. But since i was comparing it with Fiesta, hence all this negative feedback. People with experience with SUV's with love her no doubt. She can do 120-140 without any issues and makes you feel safe as well.

My RM told me that there are new brake pads that coming in few weeks times and he will keep one pair just for me so hope things will get better when there are changed.

All and all, i loved driving her all this 2200 kms trip and loved it a lot. Just these few things that bothered me. But i guess it was more related to comparing to Fiesta. But if it would have been any other SUV, then i am sure she would have come out as a winner.

Lastly, my alloys were appreciated a lot ( i mean a LOT). I had people literally shoving there heads in wheels and appreciating those alloys. I guess i have to put a black ticka on them:icon_mrgreen:
nitinralli is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 08:39   #2092
Team-BHP Support

Hi Nitin!

Thanks for your honest feedback on XUV's driving abilities & limitations (expected of a high GC vehicle)

What fuel economy did you achieve? What FE can be expected with speeds around 100kmph and inside city confines? (mix conditions)

Those alloys have really enhanced the XUV's looks further.

Thanks

EDIT: Any idea as to when one can book an XUV & get it in a month's wait, or max two?
Old 5th March 2012, 19:47   #2093
BHPian

Any idea about the Floor Mats - are the ones provided by M&M ok to use or not worth the money they are charging ?
Old 5th March 2012, 20:04   #2094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenchhillar
Any idea about the Floor Mats - are the ones provided by M&M ok to use or not worth the money they are charging ?
Not sure how much do similar mats cost in the market, but from a quality perspective, the designer mats given by Mahindra look as well feel good. It also enhances the interiors as well
Old 5th March 2012, 20:26   #2095
BHPian

Here's an update on our first brush with the Mahindra *** w.r.t XUV 500.

It's been a couple of months since we took delivery of our W8 FWD and have hardly driven about 1100kms (work pressure hardly permited any travelling). Incidently I hve been following this thread closely and keeping myself updated with issues regarding brakes, software upgradation, noises etc and decided to get these issues checked at our nearest ***.

Went in on saturday and was immdly attended to by the technical manager (RM was on leave) whom I spoke about the following:

- A knocking noise from under the dashboard as if a plastic part is touching another part.
- Hanging up of ICE on frequent basis.
- A slight bubbling at low speeds of upto 20-30kmph.
- Brake pads replacement (for select VIN nos)
- General Check Up of all engine and suspension mounts.
- Gear shifting not as slick (2nd gear)

The car was immdly taken for a TD (without the requisite paperwork) and was promptly advised to bring it in on monday for attending all the above issues. The software upgradation, Brake Pads replacement and Wheel Balancing was confirmed by the TM on the spot.

The car was sent in today at about 11AM and was attended to promptly. The following was done:

1. Brake Pads were replaced (Front Only)
2. ICE Software was reloaded with upgradations.
3. Wheel Balancing.
4. The antenna located under the dashboard was refixed as the sound was supposed to have been coming from that point.
5. Gear Caliberation.
6. General check up for all engine/suspension mounts.
7. Washing/Cleaning.

The car was recieved back at 4:30PM, totally spic and span. Am yet to drive it extensively to check if all the above have made noticiable differences.

Shall check and advise during next few days.
RickyC is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 20:30   #2096
BHPian

First of all, Congratulations to all the proud owners. I am eagerly awaiting for an AT version of the beast to be available in the near future. Any idea/scoops on the availability of an AT beast?

Graatcie, and have fun Y'All...
Old 5th March 2012, 20:58   #2097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenchhillar View Post
Hey, good that you asked before buying. Don't buy the black rubber mats provided by M&M.

There are two problems. The driver side mat is not designed to fit into the foot well perfectly. The mat will bulge up near the dead pedal. I had to cut it with a knife to accommodate the dead pedal.

The other problem is in the back. There are 3 mats for the middle row. There is absolutely no grip for the 3 pieces and it floats around the flat floor like ice sheets on a lake. Never stays on its place.

Go for a better fitting mat with more grip. I'll look for the 3D Kagu mat or similar very soon. Any idea if they're available for XUV?
Old 5th March 2012, 21:21   #2098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenchhillar View Post
I have heard that the company ones have an issue with the driver side mat. They tend to come over the side foot rest. This was reported by someone, dont know who. But i would suggest that you get them from outside as you might get them cheaper. I too got them from outside, though they were free
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Hi Nitin!

Thanks for your honest feedback on XUV's driving abilities & limitations (expected of a high GC vehicle)

What fuel economy did you achieve? What FE can be expected with speeds around 100kmph and inside city confines? (mix conditions)

Those alloys have really enhanced the XUV's looks further.

Thanks

EDIT: Any idea as to when one can book an XUV & get it in a month's wait, or max two?
Thanks bro. As for the FE, i get around 13+ in city but my office is in outskirts of delhi hence my driving is mostly on highway. So i guess you should get around 12 in city with traffic.
Old 5th March 2012, 23:29   #2099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
beautiful pics! I always thought Black & Grey will look really good on XUV & I love these two colors! More comparo pics with the Fortuner would have been a bonus though! You have a link to your ownership report ?
I don't yet have an ownership report thread as yet!Will soon post a 10,000km ownership report.But here are some more pics including a comparo with the T-Fort!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-dsc_02721.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-dsc_02891.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-dsc_02761.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-dsc_00061.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_44801.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_46081.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_49391.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_50121.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-dsc_00441.jpg  

gubbi555 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2012, 13:09   #2100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubbi555 View Post
I don't yet have an ownership report thread as yet!Will soon post a 10,000km ownership report.But here are some more pics including a comparo with the T-Fort!
Going by the teaser pics, I guess there is a LOT to look upto your ownership thread! Is there a plastic cover on the GPS screen ? And as I said earlier, grey on XUV is SOLID COOL!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks