Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2017, 16:45   #2701
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Folks I need help,

My 2011 make Rapid completed ~96,000 kms and started feeling the Clutch and Suspension setup performance degradation (they are stock except suspension bushes). Here are the symptoms
Clutch: I started noticing some clutch slippage coupled with significant mileage drop
Suspension: Lot of squeaking from rear suspension (after climbdown of huge Bangalore speed/bone breakers). Suspension became lot softer when the vehicle is fully loaded.

I am planning to continue the car for another ~2 years, so should I go ahead and update/repair clutch, suspension and timing belt?
Any pointers to the damage expected to pocket?
Any competent FNG workshops in B'lore who can do the whole or part of the above job?

Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd August 2017, 16:34   #2702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik View Post
Need help guys! I have booked the Rapid Ambition DSG today - but while paying the booking cheque, I asked them that I will be replacing the HeadUnit with a TouchScreen system and install Reverse Camera.

I expected them to throw warranty tantrums and they did. They are only willing to install Touch-screen + reverse camera system (Motevo) from their accessory list. I told them it is a deal-breaker for me if I can't get touchscreen. They came back with a big discount but insist I have to install Motevo system (40k for the system plus camera).

I told the manager I won't be cutting any wires for installation and he said it's not only about that but when the car comes for servicing/warranty repair, they are asked if there are any external fittings and they have to report it. For all purposes, warranty is void if I fit the system outside the dealership.

Now I know this is a typical scare tactic but I absolutely do not want to risk my warranty especially for a Skoda Car. Please suggest what I should do.

I am in a similar dilemma. I have the Ambition TDI DSG model and want to upgrade the HU. Both the dealerships in Bangalore (TAFE and Vinayak) have explicitly told me to not get the HU fitted from outside as it will void the 4 year warranty. Tafe has given me the option to install a My AVN (?) system with reverse camera for 40K. I am not sure how this system is but from pics it seems to fit flush and looks like the OEM unit. I am not keen to lose the 4 year warranty for any reason and am leaning towards giving (sacrificing ) 40K to Tafe.
Peregrine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 10:03   #2703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I am in a similar dilemma. I have the Ambition TDI DSG model and want to upgrade the HU. Both the dealerships in Bangalore (TAFE and Vinayak) have explicitly told me to not get the HU fitted from outside as it will void the 4 year warranty. Tafe has given me the option to install a My AVN (?) system with reverse camera for 40K. I am not sure how this system is but from pics it seems to fit flush and looks like the OEM unit. I am not keen to lose the 4 year warranty for any reason and am leaning towards giving (sacrificing ) 40K to Tafe.

Not sure if you can make his happen, but I got the HU fixed at the dealer's place by the dealer's person before I took delivery of the car. Back in 2012 the ambition did not have any HU, so I bought one, asked the dealer to fit it before delivery by his people and asked him to seal and sign the copies of HU bill stating they have fixed it. I even got my reverse parking sensor fitted!
This was with Vinayak Skoda, Bangalore.
Old 25th August 2017, 12:34   #2704
BHPian

Guys any idea what is the model number of the HU that comes with 2017 TDI DSG Style LE Rapid? Is it RCD 330G or 330Plus? It doesn't have Navigation and no apple play but its got mirrorlink and static parking lines for the reverse camera? I checked for model number in settings section but didn't find the model number.
Old 25th August 2017, 16:28   #2705
RMB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadier View Post
Guys any idea what is the model number of the HU that comes with 2017 TDI DSG Style LE Rapid? Is it RCD 330G or 330Plus? It doesn't have Navigation and no apple play but its got mirrorlink and static parking lines for the reverse camera? I checked for model number in settings section but didn't find the model number.
It is RCD 330 plus with 6.5inch display. Unfortunately this model is not available as an accessory with Skoda india. I had recently called TAFE in Bangalore. They dont have this option.
Old 30th August 2017, 13:27   #2706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
Folks I need help,

My 2011 make Rapid completed ~96,000 kms and started feeling the Clutch and Suspension setup performance degradation (they are stock except suspension bushes).
Quoting my own post to give an update.

Initially I thought of getting these things done at an FNG. I have personally visited Fortune Motors - KR Puram & Bosch Service Center - Electronic City to see how they are equipped and competent to do this kind of stuff. Fortune Motors guys seems capable but do not have good equipment. Bosch-E City guys are very poor in diagnosis itself, which put me off. For these reasons, I decided to go ahead with Skoda ASS. The cost benefit I might have got is around 6K (for a repair bill of ~40K).

Finally after lot of confusion, I dropped the car at Vinayak Skoda ASS, KR Puram on 28th August and got back on 29th. Both clutch assembly and front suspension is overhauled completely. Now both my car and left leg got a new life. The new clutch is super soft (~1/3 of effort is required than before) and front suspension takes road undulations quite comfortably. The damage to the pocket is 40K. I will post the cost breakup in couple of days.

Thanks to Pritvhi/Anitha (SA's) for all the hard work. Prithvi is taking care of my Rapid for last 4+ years and I would recommend him to fellow BHPian's. Now Vinayak Skoda guys are charging 2% extra for both debit and credit card payments. It's really annoying, my grocery shop fellow will accept credit card for anything more than Rs. 100. I don't know when these guys learn/understand customers. They offer packaged mineral water/juice etc. to the customer but charge for paying bill through card.
hillsnrains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 16:16   #2707

On the 2% charge for credit cards it is the same story here in Chennai Gurudev motors as well. Also they provide packaged water here :-) . So maybe it is a Skoda thing, the overall service experience i mean.

Quote:
Quoting my own post to give an update.

Initially I thought of getting these things done at an FNG. I have personally visited Fortune Motors - KR Puram & Bosch Service Center - Electronic City to see how they are equipped and competent to do this kind of stuff. Fortune Motors guys seems capable but do not have good equipment. Bosch-E City guys are very poor in diagnosis itself, which put me off. For these reasons, I decided to go ahead with Skoda ASS. The cost benefit I might have got is around 6K (for a repair bill of ~40K).

Finally after lot of confusion, I dropped the car at Vinayak Skoda ASS, KR Puram on 28th August and got back on 29th. Both clutch assembly and front suspension is overhauled completely. Now both my car and left leg got a new life. The new clutch is super soft (~1/3 of effort is required than before) and front suspension takes road undulations quite comfortably. The damage to the pocket is 40K. I will post the cost breakup in couple of days.

Thanks to Pritvhi/Anitha (SA's) for all the hard work. Prithvi is taking care of my Rapid for last 4+ years and I would recommend him to fellow BHPian's. Now Vinayak Skoda guys are charging 2% extra for both debit and credit card payments. It's really annoying, my grocery shop fellow will accept credit card for anything more than Rs. 100. I don't know when these guys learn/understand customers. They offer packaged mineral water/juice etc. to the customer but charge for paying bill through card.
Old 3rd September 2017, 00:52   #2708
BHPian

Hello,

I am noticing a faint creaking noise on pressing and releasing the clutch pedal on my 1.6TDI.

The clutch operation is otherwise perfectly normal. I don't feel any unusual heaviness or anything else. It's just the noise which can be heard on depressing and releasing the clutch even on a stationery vehicle.

Any idea what could be causing this noise?

Thanks!
Old 3rd September 2017, 19:49   #2709
BHPian

Noise may be due to release bearing. Not sure whether lubrication will solve this. BTW how many KMS on the ODO?
Old 3rd September 2017, 20:38   #2710
BHPian

Quote:
Noise may be due to release bearing. Not sure whether lubrication will solve this. BTW how many KMS on the ODO?
No, not the release bearing. The noise is probably from the slave cylinder I guess. Release bearing noise is very different.
The car has done 77k.
Old 3rd September 2017, 22:14   #2711
BHPian

Hi,

You can check the clutch pedal spring/mounting and grease it.
Old 3rd September 2017, 22:40   #2712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
Hi,

You can check the clutch pedal spring/mounting and grease it.
Yes I am getting it checked on Tuesday. Will update. It's a creaking noise so might very well be the spring.
Old 8th September 2017, 22:13   #2713
BHPian

Hi, Just like to know from recent rapid owners how many air bags do Rapid come equipped with ( For the top end style variant). My friend is contemplating getting the TDI DSG style. In todays local papers, there is an add saying 2018 model rapid with 4 air bags. Can anyone confirm it who have gotten delivery recently ?

thanks.
Old 19th September 2017, 15:15   #2714
BHPian

Hello,

My 2014 Rapid (1.6 TDi) has clocked 55100 kms in the past 3 years and 6 months. I feel that the battery is dying. It has not conked off yet, but the cranks are bit long, I could feel it. Got the regular service done yesterday in the A.S.S and the SA was also of the same opinion. He suggested to get the battery replaced outside as it will be costly with Skoda (~ 7800) and no exchange. I would have prolonged the decision to change the battery but for the below reasons.
  1. A long (~ 2000 kms) road trip with the family is coming up this month end. Will be mostly travelling the forested and ghat sections with limited road side support. Do not want to get stranded mid way with elderly parents and 1 year old kid.
  2. The SA is genuine and if he wanted to fleece me, he would have asked me to change the battery with them. Instead, he advised to get it changed outside and that too only after I mentioned about the trip. Else, he said the existing battery might cover few 1000 kms more.
  3. The battery report did show some health issues with the battery (according to SA).

Can someone comment on what is the average life expectancy of the Skoda OEM battery? I read elsewhere that it had lasted for 6 years even (approx 1L km on ODO). My Fabia's battery lasted for 45k kms.

Batterybhai quotes approx 5.5k for Amaron and 5.8k for Exide and both are after exchange of old battery. Is there a possibility of getting a better quote elsewhere? I suppose Rapid comes with 60Ah battery. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 19th September 2017, 15:57   #2715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989 View Post
Hello,

My 2014 Rapid (1.6 TDi) has clocked 55100 kms in the past 3 years and 6 months. I feel that the battery is dying. It has not conked off yet, but the cranks are bit long, I could feel it. Got the regular service done yesterday in the A.S.S and the SA was also of the same opinion. He suggested to get the battery replaced outside as it will be costly with Skoda (~ 7800) and no exchange. I would have prolonged the decision to change the battery but for the below reasons.
  1. A long (~ 2000 kms) road trip with the family is coming up this month end. Will be mostly travelling the forested and ghat sections with limited road side support. Do not want to get stranded mid way with elderly parents and 1 year old kid.
  2. The SA is genuine and if he wanted to fleece me, he would have asked me to change the battery with them. Instead, he advised to get it changed outside and that too only after I mentioned about the trip. Else, he said the existing battery might cover few 1000 kms more.
  3. The battery report did show some health issues with the battery (according to SA).
Can someone comment on what is the average life expectancy of the Skoda OEM battery? I read elsewhere that it had lasted for 6 years even (approx 1L km on ODO). My Fabia's battery lasted for 45k kms.

Batterybhai quotes approx 5.5k for Amaron and 5.8k for Exide and both are after exchange of old battery. Is there a possibility of getting a better quote elsewhere? I suppose Rapid comes with 60Ah battery. Correct me if I am wrong.
3.5 years is a sufficiently good life for any battery. Replace it without any second thoughts as it might leave you stranded anytime. Though I can't recall how much I paid for Amaron, but it was surely within 4-4.5k. Check with physical stores for better prices.
ScorpMan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks