Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2016, 09:47   #2551
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Dear All,
I am facing a peculiar problem since last evening. I parked the car after a longish run (30 mins or so) ,switch off the ignition, take out the key and lock the car. The radiator fan is still going on. I can hear the sound loud enough, although the key is not in the ignition. This was gong on for at least 3 minutes after I locked the car. I had to insert the key in, turn it half (till the lights came up) and then switch it off again. The fan stopped.

I opened the bonnet last evening, but was not able to check what was running. It sounded like the fan for sure and was properly audible. Anyone else faced a similar issue in their car or any other car? Will this drain into battery, since the engine is off when the fan is running?
Old 4th November 2016, 10:03   #2552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Dear All,
I am facing a peculiar problem since last evening. I parked the car after a longish run (30 mins or so) ,switch off the ignition, take out the key and lock the car.

Hi hrman,
Its perfectly normal for the radiator fan to run for a few minutes after you switch off the car. It is controlled by ECU and it depends on engine temperature. This behaviour is also metioned in the car manual. Nothing to worry about.
Cheers,
Kiran
Old 4th November 2016, 10:55   #2553
BHPian

Quote:
Dear All,
I am facing a peculiar problem since last evening. I parked the car after a longish run (30 mins or so) ,switch off the ignition, take out the key and lock the car. The radiator fan is still going on. I can hear the sound loud enough, although the key is not in the ignition. This was gong on for at least 3 minutes after I locked the car. I had to insert the key in, turn it half (till the lights came up) and then switch it off again. The fan stopped.

I opened the bonnet last evening, but was not able to check what was running. It sounded like the fan for sure and was properly audible. Anyone else faced a similar issue in their car or any other car? Will this drain into battery, since the engine is off when the fan is running?
This is perfectly normal. Once the Engine is heated up, the ECU has to make sure it brings down the temperature of the engine to prescribed temperature by running the Radiator unit, irrespective of whether the car is running or not.

OT: In fact, few of the modern liquid cooled bikes also behave in this way like the Mahindra Mojo in which the radiator keeps running for a while even after you have taken out the key. This is essential for the longevity of the engine and other components.

Last edited by Funny : 4th November 2016 at 10:57.
Old 4th November 2016, 11:32   #2554
Senior - BHPian

Update: I checked the coolant and it had run dry. Need to source some coolant and fill it up. Also need to visit the service center to check if there is any leakage in the coolant pipe.
Old 4th November 2016, 14:33   #2555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update: I checked the coolant and it had run dry. Need to source some coolant and fill it up. Also need to visit the service center to check if there is any leakage in the coolant pipe.
Topping up water will just do fine if you plan to visit the service centre soon.
In any case, coolant has to be mixed with water before pouring it in (generally it is 1 part coolant and 2 parts water)

EDIT: I believe Rapid does not come with temperature gauge. Good thinking on your part for checking the coolant level when you heard the radiator fan operating for more time than usual.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 4th November 2016 at 14:35.
Old 14th November 2016, 16:30   #2556
BHPian

Hi,

I just purchased old (now old) Skoda Rapid Diesel Manual. I have few questions that I need answers to from fellow BHPians

1. Does Rapid come with factory done underbody coating?
2. If yes, does it make sense to go for underbody coating offered by 3M?
3. If no, is it worth going for underbody coating provided by 3M? I was given a quote of about 4500 INR, so want to make sure before I take the plunge.

Thanks,
Raj
Old 14th November 2016, 16:54   #2557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj.bhalla View Post
Hi,

I just purchased old (now old) Skoda Rapid Diesel Manual. I have few questions that I need answers to from fellow BHPians

3. If no, is it worth going for underbody coating provided by 3M? I was given a quote of about 4500 INR, so want to make sure before I take the plunge.

Thanks,
Raj
1. No, Rapid does not come with Underbody Coating. But due to our Road conditions, it has Rough Road package which basically is that the entire underbody is covered, thereby protecting it from foreign elements.

2. Underbody Coating has 2 advantages AFAIK, one is the protection & the other being lowered NVH.
Since the Cabin of Rapid is well insulated, and fact that you're location shows Bengaluru, it doesn't make that sense. If you were staying in Coastal Area, it would have made sense due to mineral content & also moisture. If you still want it, you can get it done at 3M Store or any other Professional Automotive Garage.
Old 14th November 2016, 17:10   #2558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
1. No, Rapid does not come with Underbody Coating. But due to our Road conditions, it has Rough Road package which basically is that the entire underbody is covered, thereby protecting it from foreign elements.
Thanks Nish,

Regarding rough road package, I got to know that full underbody is not covered. That is what I got to know at dealer. I think I might as well go with it as at least I will have some peace of mind after spending a good amount on the car itself.

Any idea if Rs. 4500 approximate is fair price for this? And what are the alternatives apart from 3M?
Old 14th November 2016, 18:06   #2559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks,
Raj
If I remember correctly, the Rapid does have underbody protection. When I took the Vento to the 3M outlet, they advised against the underbody coating as VAG cars have standard protection apart from the rough road package.

Or better, just call up the Skoda Helpline. They'll know for sure.
Old 17th November 2016, 19:40   #2560
BHPian

Hi All,

I am driving 2012 rapid elegance and is under extended warranty, can anyone please help me know if the music system is covered under the warranty as the volume and power knobs are not functioning properly. I have asked the service guys to check it during service but the issue still persists.
Old 20th November 2016, 22:32   #2561
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks,
Raj
Any VAG car comes with 6year anti rust warranty and 3 year paint protection warranty. Volkswagen talks and advertises about the same in bold letters. Skoda on the other hand are not so vocal about it but since the process and quality standards are same both the anti rust & paint protection does exist on Rapid as well.

You can even check vento's brouchure. I guess these are mentioned and since both rapid and vento are manufactured in the same factory on the same production line you can be assured that you don't need to do any other anti rust coating

Last edited by MadAbtCars : 20th November 2016 at 22:33.
MadAbtCars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 08:51   #2562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sree5999 View Post
Hi All,

I am driving 2012 rapid elegance and is under extended warranty, can anyone please help me know if the music system is covered under the warranty as the volume and power knobs are not functioning properly. I have asked the service guys to check it during service but the issue still persists.
I am not sure about warranty, but I have one Skoda Rapid's HU lying idle at home. I have replaced it with a DVD unit in the first year. I will be more than happy to pass on to you free of cost. The only issue is I stay in Bangalore.
hillsnrains is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 18:39   #2563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
I am not sure about warranty, but I have one Skoda Rapid's HU lying idle at home. I have replaced it with a DVD unit in the first year. I will be more than happy to pass on to you free of cost. The only issue is I stay in Bangalore.
Thank you so much for the offer "hillsnrains" I can ask my friend to pick it up from you if my music system is diagnosed faulty and not covered under warranty.
I have visited the Skoda workshop today and they have asked me to visit Ritesh enterprises, Somajiguda, Hyd who will check the system but asked me to wait till tomorrow as they need to confirm if the system is covered under extended warranty so as to avoid any warranty issue once the system is opened.
Old 28th November 2016, 00:47   #2564
BHPian

hi

I am facing an issue with my Rapid TDI (2012). My car is usually parked for 15-20 days at a stretch and today when I tried starting the car it didn't start at the first attempt. The second attempt took a long crank to fire it up. I drove around for 6-7 kms and then tried to switch to restart the car after turning it off. It started normally. This has never happened before even though the usage pattern has been the same.

The car still has the original factory which means its 4.5 years old now. However, I checked for errors on the VCDS scan and there were non recorded. Also measured the battery voltage through VCDS with the car running and it was between 13.8-14.0 which I think is normal. I didn't take the reading with the engine turned off though.

Could it be the battery or something else?
Old 28th November 2016, 10:12   #2565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
hi

I am facing an issue with my Rapid TDI (2012). My car is usually parked for 15-20 days at a stretch and today when I tried starting the car it didn't start at the first attempt. The second attempt took a long crank to fire it up. I drove around for 6-7 kms and then tried to switch to restart the car after turning it off. It started normally. This has never happened before even though the usage pattern has been the same.

Could it be the battery or something else?
This is a battery issue, nothing to worry. The battery have a life of around 45K-48K kilometers if driven daily or a period of 4 years if driven occasionally.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks