Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2017, 00:28   #2686
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish_veera View Post
Quick question. Is Paint Protection from 3M for new car worth? I am going to take a delivery of white Skoda Rapid today. Would like fellow members opinion on paint protection and underbody coating.
Thanks,
Veera
I would recommend that you avoid it. It barely lasts a month on the paint and needs to be re-applied frequently. You could buy a better sealant or wax and apply yourself for under 1.5K
Old 14th August 2017, 01:19   #2687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
I would recommend that you avoid it. It barely lasts a month on the paint and needs to be re-applied frequently. You could buy a better sealant or wax and apply yourself for under 1.5K
Which sealant do you recommend that is easy to apply? Yeah I am a bit lazy
Old 14th August 2017, 07:06   #2688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadier View Post
Which sealant do you recommend that is easy to apply? Yeah I am a bit lazy
Many. Start with a spray sealant or spray wax as they are the easiest to apply. Ultima paint guard or Optimum car wax are both good. I personally use Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer. Google for sellers in India, there are a few.
Old 14th August 2017, 09:01   #2689
BHPian

Quote:
I also have a 2014 Swift Zxi, so my review of the suspension setup will be compared to my Swift. I found the suspension setup in Rapid a tad too soft. Its not a bad handling car, but my swift has hard suspension as compared to Rapid, so swift handles a bit better. But the ride quality in Rapid is totally plush. My parents liked the suspension and ride quality instantly.
Also the stock tires were Apollo Alnac 4G, and at just 1,000Km exact, the side wall of rear left wheel got ruptured.
Thanks for the feedback. I found the vento tdi suspension even more soft. I always felt that rapid had a very good balance between ride and handling in city. So, just thought of checking your feedback with the new 16" alloys. A great looking car with good ride, good build and with DSG makes it an extremely good car for city driving. This car should have sold more if Skoda had a good reputation of service. But, I hear that they are improving.

Stock tyres are generally not good and always get it changed in the new car. Yoko Earth1 is good balance between economy and comfort. Michelin is any way a great choice. Enjoy!

Last edited by sups : 14th August 2017 at 09:03.
sups is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 22:19   #2690
BHPian

Need help guys! I have booked the Rapid Ambition DSG today - but while paying the booking cheque, I asked them that I will be replacing the HeadUnit with a TouchScreen system and install Reverse Camera.

I expected them to throw warranty tantrums and they did. They are only willing to install Touch-screen + reverse camera system (Motevo) from their accessory list. I told them it is a deal-breaker for me if I can't get touchscreen. They came back with a big discount but insist I have to install Motevo system (40k for the system plus camera).

I told the manager I won't be cutting any wires for installation and he said it's not only about that but when the car comes for servicing/warranty repair, they are asked if there are any external fittings and they have to report it. For all purposes, warranty is void if I fit the system outside the dealership.

Now I know this is a typical scare tactic but I absolutely do not want to risk my warranty especially for a Skoda Car. Please suggest what I should do.
pathik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 23:11   #2691
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik View Post
Now I know this is a typical scare tactic but I absolutely do not want to risk my warranty especially for a Skoda Car. Please suggest what I should do.
You can get them to install the unit for you. They may charge you extra for the fitting, but you will have your peace of mind. If you have already tried this approach, try escalating this to some higher ups in Skoda. If even that doesn't work, the ball is in your court.

Personally speaking, if the dealer doesn't agree, you should go ahead with what the dealer is offering you.
Old 15th August 2017, 07:14   #2692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

First mistake, you shouldnt have told them that you are considering the installation.

Now that the damage has been done, you have two options

1. Ask them which other players they have apart from Motevo, and check if you can get something like Pioneer etc.

2. Take the delivery without any accesories and install them later after few months from the dealer. Then they may agree for other players
Old 15th August 2017, 09:42   #2693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
You can get them to install the unit for you. They may charge you extra for the fitting, but you will have your peace of mind. If you have already tried this approach, try escalating this to some higher ups in Skoda. If even that doesn't work, the ball is in your court.

Personally speaking, if the dealer doesn't agree, you should go ahead with what the dealer is offering you.
I gave them the option to install the unit but it was rejected. I have asked for the demo of Motevo, so post that I will ask them once again. If not, I am going to cancel the booking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
First mistake, you shouldnt have told them that you are considering the installation.

Now that the damage has been done, you have two options

1. Ask them which other players they have apart from Motevo, and check if you can get something like Pioneer etc.

2. Take the delivery without any accesories and install them later after few months from the dealer. Then they may agree for other players
Honestly, I just wanted to make sure they don't cry later after I have installed. Do you have any good recommendations for systems (main requirements are Capacitive and good quality touch screen, decent UI, Navigation, Mirror Link or Android Auto, Reverse Camera) available in India which can be fitted into Skoda Rapid?

I have seen Blaupunkt Philadelphia been recommended on other thread but frankly the Chinese looking UI looks terrible on it.

Last edited by pathik : 15th August 2017 at 09:49.
Old 15th August 2017, 13:30   #2694
BHPian

Quote:
I gave them the option to install the unit but it was rejected.
=========
I have seen Blaupunkt Philadelphia been recommended on other thread but frankly the Chinese looking UI looks terrible on it.
I have seen that Motevo touch screen head unit. The dealer gave me a demo of it last month when I bought Rapid dsg. I couldn't make out much difference in sound quality but it had mirror link and Apple car play( don't remember exactly about Apple) and it also had navigation. I didn't buy it as my Style LE already has a decent touch screen unit. If I want to improve sound quality I would rather upgrade the speakers to something like Focal or infinity rather than buying this Motevo head unit for 50K. They should have kept more options like Blaupunkt or Pioneer, if they expect to buy from Skoda dealership only. I have not heard of this brand Motevo before.
Old 15th August 2017, 14:21   #2695
BHPian

Quote:
I have seen that Motevo touch screen head unit. The dealer gave me a demo of it last month when I bought Rapid dsg. I couldn't make out much difference in sound quality but it had mirror link and Apple car play( don't remember exactly about Apple) and it also had navigation. I didn't buy it as my Style LE already has a decent touch screen unit. If I want to improve sound quality I would rather upgrade the speakers to something like Focal or infinity rather than buying this Motevo head unit for 50K. They should have kept more options like Blaupunkt or Pioneer, if they expect to buy from Skoda dealership only. I have not heard of this brand Motevo before.
For me it's not about Sound quality to be honest. The Ambition variant comes with a two din non touch system hence the need to upgrade. How is the UI and touch response like - did it look like a cheap chinese system (3d colourful icons, horrible fonts and animations)?
Old 15th August 2017, 17:53   #2696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Honestly, I just wanted to make sure they don't cry later after I have installed. Do you have any good recommendations for systems (main requirements are Capacitive and good quality touch screen, decent UI, Navigation, Mirror Link or Android Auto, Reverse Camera) available in India which can be fitted into Skoda Rapid?
Ask them to install the standard VW headunit RCD 330G , there is a thread on this unit. If he is giving choice of Pioneer etc, nothing like it.
Old 15th August 2017, 18:07   #2697
BHPian

Quote:
For me it's not about Sound quality to be honest. The Ambition variant comes with a two din non touch system hence the need to upgrade. How is the UI and touch response like - did it look like a cheap chinese system (3d colourful icons, horrible fonts and animations)?
Yes, the interface was looking cheap like you said. What company is this by the way, Motevo?
Can you check if you can buy and install the head unit from Style LE edition or the 330G?
I am not sure which model is mine, on the 2017 Rapid Style LE.
But I think you should not cancle your booking for just this reason as this car with 1.5TDi and DSG combo is really good. The mid range is what I liked the most and makes me smile everytime I hit the boost region.
Brigadier is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 19:18   #2698
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the interface was looking cheap like you said. What company is this by the way, Motevo?
Can you check if you can buy and install the head unit from Style LE edition or the 330G?
I am not sure which model is mine, on the 2017 Rapid Style LE.
But I think you should not cancle your booking for just this reason as this car with 1.5TDi and DSG combo is really good. The mid range is what I liked the most and makes me smile everytime I hit the boost region.
I would like to go ahead with the booking. The DSG is indeed a dream to drive (if you discount the initial turbo lag). But, for me, having a good touch-screen system is a must when you are buying the most expensive car in your life. Also, the leaked pics of Verna doesn't help. The exterior styling of the leaked Verna looks pretty great

I did give them an option to install the same unit as Style but I don't think they have such a system in stock to install. Perhaps if they realise they are looking at a canceled deal, then they might rethink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Ask them to install the standard VW headunit RCD 330G , there is a thread on this unit. If he is giving choice of Pioneer etc, nothing like it.
I will ask but I am not positive they will agree. Besides I think the Style variant comes with a system that looks very identical to RCD 330G Plus (I guess it is the same system but can't say for sure)

Last edited by pathik : 15th August 2017 at 19:19.
Old 15th August 2017, 20:16   #2699
BHPian

Quote:
I would like to go ahead with the booking. The DSG is indeed a dream to drive (if you discount the initial turbo lag). But, for me, having a good touch-screen system is a must when you are buying the most expensive car in your life. Also, the leaked pics of Verna doesn't help. The exterior styling of the leaked Verna looks pretty great

I did give them an option to install the same unit as Style but I don't think they have such a system in stock to install. Perhaps if they realise they are looking at a canceled deal, then they might rethink.

I will ask but I am not positive they will agree. Besides I think the Style variant comes with a system that looks very identical to RCD 330G Plus (I guess it is the same system but can't say for sure)
Well, on the looks part, I know it's subjective but I don't quite like the way the new Verna looks. Looks a bit cheesy. I for one, like classic and understated designs which I think only VW/Skoda offer. And with the facelift the new front end looks quite classy on the new Rapid.

Well my dealer gave me the option to buy back the stock touch screen system for Rs10k and get that Motevo for Rs50K instead of Rs60K. There was no way I was going to do that! So you can check with dealer if someone has sold his stock Style LE head unit and if you could buy that.
Brigadier is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 15:33   #2700
BHPian

Quote:
Need help guys! I have booked the Rapid Ambition DSG today - but while paying the booking cheque, I asked them that I will be replacing the HeadUnit with a TouchScreen system and install Reverse Camera.

I expected them to throw warranty tantrums and they did. They are only willing to install Touch-screen + reverse camera system (Motevo) from their accessory list. I told them it is a deal-breaker for me if I can't get touchscreen. They came back with a big discount but insist I have to install Motevo system (40k for the system plus camera).

I told the manager I won't be cutting any wires for installation and he said it's not only about that but when the car comes for servicing/warranty repair, they are asked if there are any external fittings and they have to report it. For all purposes, warranty is void if I fit the system outside the dealership.

First of all congratulations for booking the skoda rapid. After reading your post I could feel the frustration that one gets after getting answers like these from the dealership. This has happened to me as well when I was booking my polo.

First you can order your RCD 330 G from Aliexpress. The link for the rcd 330g with Apple Car play is https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orig...f-d558de414d34

There is a dedicated thread on the player as well.

Second concern is regarding the warranty issues. The warranty issues are primarily targeted towards cutting of wires. You can use couplers to avoid cutting of wires and these are easily available online as well local car audio shops.

If you really don't want to take any chance keep the stock head unit with you and when you are giving your car for service simply take out the rcd 330 and install the stock radio. It is not a difficult job can be done in 10 minutes with the help of simple torx screw driver set.
sunilsoft is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks