Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2012, 18:30   #466
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastsmoke View Post
I've got sick of the attitude of Skoda to Kerala. Booked a Rapid November and still haven't got the car. I've let go of Rapid and am thinking booking a Nissan Sunny Diesel. What say you ?
I haven't driven the Rapid, but if you are an enthusiastic driver, my opinion is that you should stay away from the Nissan Sunny.
Old 25th February 2012, 14:07   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky

I haven't driven the Rapid, but if you are an enthusiastic driver, my opinion is that you should stay away from the Nissan Sunny.
Thanks Starry Sky, after driving it, I was all for the Rapid but the nightmare through which the dealers took me through even before delivery has convinced me that it's better to compromise driving thrills to peace of mind. Rapid has been crossed out. The most annoying aspect was the stock reply that I got from Skoda when I wrote to them to redress my grievances. Even after cancelling my order the dealer has been delaying refund giving all kinds of vague excuses. I've learnt my lesson.
Old 25th February 2012, 14:40   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastsmoke View Post
I've got sick of the attitude of Skoda to Kerala. Booked a Rapid November and still haven't got the car. I've let go of Rapid and am thinking booking a Nissan Sunny Diesel. What say you ?
You might face issues with the dealers but rest assured Rapid would bring a smile to your face when you drive it. So if you are looking for peace of mind don't go for Rapid but if you can get through that pain Rapid is a good deal.
Old 27th February 2012, 10:30   #469
Senior - BHPian

I took a test drive of Rapid last Saturday, driven 10+ hms on Highway and rough rural roads.

It was a total surprise to me that It didn't stand to my expectations. The acceleration was so poor which I considered missing totally in a Skoda product. This was my first test drive of any Skoda product, and I heave heard enough good things above their 4 cars. I can't believe it has 105BHP. The engine was too noisy both inside and out.

It struggled to pick up initially and also over taking was a big challenge.

Feature-wise it was not exciting too an driver seat isn't enough for tall-fat guys.

The only think I liked is the the build quality, suspension and the rear seat. I've tested Sunny on the same day - many of you dislike this - But this is true based on my own test drives - Sunny is a much better product in terms of Power (less than 100 BHP though, Space and features).

Last edited by agbenny : 27th February 2012 at 10:38.
Old 27th February 2012, 10:57   #470
Distinguished - BHPian

@agbenny - you surely have TDed a faulty car. ask for a different car, and if they don't have another car, head to a VW showroom to understand what the hype is all about, both are the same car.

The Sunny is nowhere close to the Vento/Rapid in terms of power.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 16:44   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
I took a test drive of Rapid last Saturday, driven 10+ hms on Highway and rough rural roads.

It was a total surprise to me that It didn't stand to my expectations. The acceleration was so poor which I considered missing totally in a Skoda product. This was my first test drive of any Skoda product, and I heave heard enough good things above their 4 cars. I can't believe it has 105BHP. The engine was too noisy both inside and out.

It struggled to pick up initially and also over taking was a big challenge.

Feature-wise it was not exciting too an driver seat isn't enough for tall-fat guys.

The only think I liked is the the build quality, suspension and the rear seat. I've tested Sunny on the same day - many of you dislike this - But this is true based on my own test drives - Sunny is a much better product in terms of Power (less than 100 BHP though, Space and features).
I might have a bias as I have booked a Rapid but I was completely floored by its performance. Sunny was not even a comparison and was miles behind in terms of performance. And this was when I test drove the cars, a bit cautiously.

And then the Skoda sales executive took the Rapid to its limits. I was absolutely floored and thrilled. No car in the sub 10 lakh range gave such a performance while providing absolute control to the driver.

On another note - went to the dealership today. My car is in transit and is expected to be delivered in this week itself - within just 2.5 weeks! Got the VIN and Engine Number.
The VIN report (thanks to Wildon) shows a manufacturing date of 20 February 2012.
Old 27th February 2012, 17:01   #472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jods View Post
I might have a bias as I have booked a Rapid but I was completely floored by its performance. Sunny was not even a comparison and was miles behind in terms of performance. And this was when I test drove the cars, a bit cautiously.

And then the Skoda sales executive took the Rapid to its limits. I was absolutely floored and thrilled. No car in the sub 10 lakh range gave such a performance while providing absolute control to the driver.

On another note - went to the dealership today. My car is in transit and is expected to be delivered in this week itself - within just 2.5 weeks! Got the VIN and Engine Number.
The VIN report (thanks to Wildon) shows a manufacturing date of 20 February 2012.
I am not a race driver or a driver by profession or a professional tester, But I drive car for the last 14 years, driven 20+ cars, owned 6 cars so far, I convince myself that I might not be wrong.

I drove a 4500+ Km driven Rapid, and a 14 Kms driven Sunny last Saturday. I absolutely didn't like Rapid, It has nothing to do with performance, It was sluggish and struggling - The engine noise was beyond tolerable.

After 1.5 hrs I had a Sunny on my hands. It was amazing, the performance was thrilling. I can'r recommend any one a Rapid after I tested Sunny, since both are in the same price bracket.

Buying a car is absolute a personal experience. I know many might not like the Scorpio that I drive.

Since you are already waiting eagerly for your Rapid, you can ignore comments like mine, Be happy and I wish you all the best for your purchase. The build quality, breaks and interiors are definitely better than Sunny. :-)

Have safe drive buddy!

Last edited by agbenny : 27th February 2012 at 17:03.
Old 27th February 2012, 17:05   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
@agbenny - you surely have TDed a faulty car. ask for a different car, and if they don't have another car, head to a VW showroom to understand what the hype is all about, both are the same car.

The Sunny is nowhere close to the Vento/Rapid in terms of power.
This could be a valid reason, But I wouldn't want to test drive it again, as after 3 calls 3 days of drive they gave a TD with a much hesitation. Also, My friend, for whom we have taken the TD, is happy and settled with Innova, which we TDed earlier.
Old 27th February 2012, 17:12   #474
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I drove a 4500+ Km driven Rapid, and a 14 Kms driven Sunny last Saturday. I absolutely didn't like Rapid, It has nothing to do with performance, It was sluggish and struggling - The engine noise was beyond tolerable.
Is this the diesel or petrol Rapid? Your experience sounds very very different than ours.
Old 27th February 2012, 17:14   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Is this the diesel or petrol Rapid? Your experience sounds very very different than ours.
It was a Diesel. Unless if its a faulty car, I am sure my experience was correct. I could call them again and check the vehicle, But my initial calls for TD wasn't so nice. So, I do not think I would do it. :-)
Old 27th February 2012, 17:26   #476
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It was a Diesel. Unless if its a faulty car, I am sure my experience was correct.
Then it is very clear, you had a faulty car. The Diesel Rapid is the performance king of the segment. Try again at a different dealership if you can.
Old 27th February 2012, 18:26   #477
BHPian

Insurance for Skoda Rapid

Fellow owners, which insurance plan did you take for Skoda Rapid?

I feel the dealer quote of Rs 38,000 is a bit excessive as compared to the market quote of Rs 28,000 by ICICI Lombard.

Please suggest!
Old 27th February 2012, 19:29   #478
Senior - BHPian

@agbenny - I assume you are talking about the TDI and yes your experience seems to be with a car that's not serviced/isnt in good shape. Agreed that it is noisy, seat width is little narrow, but the best thing about both rapid and vento are its diesel engines. They have minimal turbo lag and acceleration is strong right from 1500 RPM when the turbo spools up. Try a pedal to metal run in the third gear and you'd know what we are talking about.

Going by your description looks like the TD car has a clogged air filter. Do you recollect how much the odo reading was?

Edit - Just realized all these were already said before. Didn't refresh the page before posting, please ignore. I see the point has already been made.

Last edited by bala80 : 27th February 2012 at 19:31.
Old 6th March 2012, 19:25   #479
BHPian

Rapid : Elegance or Ambition ? Ambition is seemingly the right choice.

But : Automatic Climate control, Passenger Airbag & Multi Functional Display - does this justify the Elegance ?
Moreover, with the Elegance, One might have to dump the Audio Player & Alloy Wheels (?) for something better.

A friend is in a fix now. I will be(in the same fix) by end of the year . Help/Opinions appreciated.

@mods : Tried my best to post this in the most appropriate thread.
Old 7th March 2012, 00:52   #480
BHPian

You should look at this in this way - If you are not travelling alone every single time, the life of your co-passenger should be as important as yours. Automatic Climate Control, MFD and alloys are just additional freebies you get with the Elegance model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon View Post
Rapid : Elegance or Ambition ? Ambition is seemingly the right choice.

But : Automatic Climate control, Passenger Airbag & Multi Functional Display - does this justify the Elegance ?
Moreover, with the Elegance, One might have to dump the Audio Player & Alloy Wheels (?) for something better.

A friend is in a fix now. I will be(in the same fix) by end of the year . Help/Opinions appreciated.

@mods : Tried my best to post this in the most appropriate thread.
jods is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks