Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2015, 15:00   #1966
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Gave my car to Vinayaka's Okalipuram service center today for 2nd annual service, car has run 21,000kms. The initial estimate given for the regular service (changing oil, filters and air filters if needed) is Rs.10,000.
I am experiencing shuddering of the steering and brake pedal when braking from over 100kmph recently. SA has inspected and informed me that the brake disc has some 'lining' but the brake pads themselves are OK and expected to last atleast 6000 more kms. He recommends fixing the issue later, maybe after 6 months.
If I ask for a replacement now, he would be changing both the discs and the brake pads (apparently only discs cannot be changed) and would be cost me ~Rs.8000 more. I am opting to defer the replacement, hoping the brakes hold up for 6 more months.

Last edited by nma83 : 12th January 2015 at 15:01. Reason: typo
Old 12th January 2015, 18:20   #1967
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

^^^^
I have a dumbo question -

the pad & disc (pad & drum, in case of drum brake) are made of different metallic compounds, so that only one of them wears considerably ?
The cheaper one is the less hard one, to keep replacement cost down ?
For pad-disc combo, which is harder ?
For pad-drum combo, which is harder ?
Old 13th January 2015, 09:52   #1968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
^^^^
I have a dumbo question -

the pad & disc (pad & drum, in case of drum brake) are made of different metallic compounds, so that only one of them wears considerably ?
The cheaper one is the less hard one, to keep replacement cost down ?
For pad-disc combo, which is harder ?
For pad-drum combo, which is harder ?
Pad wears considerably in both cases.
Old 13th January 2015, 11:00   #1969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Pad wears considerably in both cases.
In that case I wonder how the discs have some irregularity while pads are fine in my car. It could be the issue plaguing early 2012 model Rapids, I have to check my VIN now (purchased Dec '12).
Old 13th January 2015, 11:06   #1970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
In my case, the glow plug symbol was followed in quick succession by CEL.

They have not given this in writing. Neither are they giving the error codes.
Hi Deepfusion

what is the update on this. Has Skoda agreed to do it under warranty or are they still refusing?
Old 13th January 2015, 11:33   #1971
BHPian

Sorry for the delayed update.

Met the seniors at Giriraj Motors on Sunday. Tried arguing with them that the malfunctioning of the diesel filter had caused the common rail/fuel system to fail, but they did not listen.

Whats more, they even declined giving me a loaner, saying since it was ONE TIME FAVOUR being given to me, no loaner could be provided to me, and whatever has been approved will be the BENEFIT PROVIDED TO ME.

Dissatisfied with the reply, I have escalated the matter to Skoda India.
Old 13th January 2015, 11:52   #1972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
In that case I wonder how the discs have some irregularity while pads are fine in my car. It could be the issue plaguing early 2012 model Rapids, I have to check my VIN now (purchased Dec '12).
Uneven wear on Pads which is very much there is not visible to you. Uneven wear of disc normally happens due to wrong fixing / alignment (which is very rare), or sub standard quality of the disc. Normally after 2-3 sets of pads change over require 1 set of discs change.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 23:50   #1973
Senior - BHPian

Folks, I am in the market for a new car and basically it can be anything from 8-15 lac bracket. Main criteria is something that excites. I have always liked Rapid over Vento and despite all the scary Skoda stories i went to a showroom recently to take a test drive. Due to my low running diesel is not a requirement and I already have a Figo diesel and replacing my aging Ikon. I managed a 1.5D test drive as petrol was not available. I loved the interiors on the top end model, but came back really disappointed from an engine standpoint. It has virtually no bottom end to talk about and complete lack of any kind of turbo kick. I get linear power delivery but didnt feel the pick up was good enough. My figo seems better in driveability in first 3 gears in the city. Your thoughts? I am going to TD the petrol car as well soon.
Old 15th January 2015, 09:24   #1974
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Folks, I am in the market for a new car and basically it can be anything from 8-15 lac bracket. Main criteria is something that excites. I have always liked Rapid over Vento and despite all the scary Skoda stories i went to a showroom recently to take a test drive. Due to my low running diesel is not a requirement and I already have a Figo diesel and replacing my aging Ikon. I managed a 1.5D test drive as petrol was not available. I loved the interiors on the top end model, but came back really disappointed from an engine standpoint. It has virtually no bottom end to talk about and complete lack of any kind of turbo kick. I get linear power delivery but didnt feel the pick up was good enough. My figo seems better in driveability in first 3 gears in the city. Your thoughts? I am going to TD the petrol car as well soon.
While the rapid/vento NA petrols are competent ones, I don't think you will find them exciting to drive. I suggest you look at the vento tsi. The tsi engine combined with the dsg should give you that fun factor you are looking for.

Another option you can look at is the linea tjet.
Finally since your budget can go to 15 L. Maybe worth checking if there is any stock of the jetta 1.4 Tsi available. Although the actual price I think is 17-18L on road, you can potentially get big discounts since the facelift is around the corner.

Note: these posts prob need to be moved to the what car at 10L thread. Mods please move of needed.
Old 16th January 2015, 19:10   #1975
BHPian

Can someone explain how exactly the cruise control function work in Rapid MT and DSG
Old 16th January 2015, 20:36   #1976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post

If you are looking for driving pleasure, look no further than a used Laura Tsi.
You get an amazing engine, a capable dynamic ability and a plethora of mods to suit your taste. Don't forget, the Laura has a proven reliability track record.

Additionally, if you'd like to buy something new, I would recommend the Polo TSi over the rapid for the simple fact its more fun to drive. Also, a Polo will demand a better resale value.
Old 16th January 2015, 23:20   #1977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Can someone explain how exactly the cruise control function work in Rapid MT and DSG
In the manual I believe the cruise control can be used from 30 km/hr and above. I usually use it when I am in the 5th Gear cruising around 70-80 Km/hr.

What I usually do is, Once I reach 80km/hr I ON the cruise control(I usually keep it off) and the press(Just once and not hold) the Res+ to set the speed. Then on the cruise control takes over. You can use the lever itself to decrese and increase the cruise control speed using the Res+ to increase and Set- to decrease(You need to hold them here and a press wont work till you reach the desired speed when increasing and decreasing the speed).

You can also leave the cruise control ON all the time and it gets activated when you press Res+ with the previous speed you had maintained.

The Cruise control does gets turned off when you brake and it can be resumed by just pressing the Res+(Cruise control needs to be ON).
Old 16th January 2015, 23:31   #1978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
If you are looking for driving pleasure, look no further than a used Laura Tsi.
Kindly Correct me if I am wrong mate, I believe you are talking about the Octavia.

Yes if petrol was the option my preference would be the Vento TSI and the Octavia 1.8 TSI to be more specific just because of its multi link suspension.But I am not sure if it comes under 15L bracket.

Regarding the Rapid 1.5 TDI, It is very linear. You wont feel the turbo kicking in any off the gears unless you are flooring the accelerator. Initially I also felt the same thing. But later, even though I was chaniging the gears at their normal RPM(2-2.5) and Speed the change can be felt when you look at the IRVM. I see other cars a bit slow in picking up. The first 3 gears are indeed good enough to be driven in the city(I used to own a Figo as well )
Old 16th January 2015, 23:54   #1979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakshman1067 View Post
Kindly Correct me if I am wrong mate, I believe you are talking about the Octavia.
The Octavia OTR costs ~20 lakh, which is above Supertinu's budget. Supertinu has a low running, so a diesel wouldn't make too much sense, considering the narrowing gap between the two fuels. The Vento being a heavier car than the Polo, doesn't provide the sheer agility and chuckability that it's smaller cousin the Polo provides. The 1.2 TSi engine is very drivable, and can be extremely satiating even for an enthusiast. However, the outright power that the Laura TSi has is hard to beat, plus getting a used one can save you some Moolah for Modding the car further.
Old 17th January 2015, 00:04   #1980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
The Vento being a heavier car than the Polo, doesn't provide the sheer agility and chuckability that it's smaller cousin the Polo provides. The 1.2 TSi engine is very drivable, and can be extremely satiating even for an enthusiast. However, the outright power that the Laura TSi has is hard to beat, plus getting a used one can save you some Moolah for Modding the car further.
First of all my sincere apologies for missing "used Laura" in your previous comment and secondly I would definetly agree that Polo TSI is more fun to drive than the Vento TSI . Considering Supertinu budget I personally wouldnt go for a hatch in that kind of budget. But again its just my personal view.

Have you or anyone tried the Rapid DSG. I like manuals and prefer them, hence I never gave a shot to any of the DSG / TSI.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks