Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2015, 14:14   #1996
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

The sales adviser of Tafe says that the reverse parking camera is not an authorized fitment approved by Skoda for Rapid. If the same is fit, it will void the warranty of the car. I am not aware of this. Does someone have any information on the same?

Plus can someone tell me whether adding alloys will also affect warranty of the car. I am not changing the tyres, it is only alloys upgrade from rims.

I am more concerned, because it is Skoda
Old 19th January 2015, 14:52   #1997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
The sales adviser of Tafe says that the reverse parking camera is not an authorized fitment approved by Skoda for Rapid. If the same is fit, it will void the warranty of the car. I am not aware of this. Does someone have any information on the same?

Plus can someone tell me whether adding alloys will also affect warranty of the car. I am not changing the tyres, it is only alloys upgrade from rims.

I am more concerned, because it is Skoda
Did you already got it installed from outside? If yes, did they splice the wires near tail lamp to power the camera unit? if your answer is yes to the second question means; your car's warranty on electrical's is only void. Not on other components like engine, a/c etc.

3rd party alloys installation will void warranty of suspension as per Skoda. I think that is some 10K kms or so. This won't be a big concern according to me, because you will cover 10K kms less than year. More over there are quite a few fellow members who are using 3rd party alloys with out any issues.

P.S: I have installed reverse sensors and camera, Audio HU from outside and no complaints till date.
Old 19th January 2015, 23:05   #1998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
Did you already got it installed from outside? If yes, did they splice the wires near tail lamp to power the camera unit? if your answer is yes to the second question means; your car's warranty on electrical's is only void. Not on other components like engine, a/c etc.

3rd party alloys installation will void warranty of suspension as per Skoda. I think that is some 10K kms or so. This won't be a big concern according to me, because you will cover 10K kms less than year. More over there are quite a few fellow members who are using 3rd party alloys with out any issues.

P.S: I have installed reverse sensors and camera, Audio HU from outside and no complaints till date.
No I haven't installed reverse camera. Infact I wanted tafe guys to do and above was the reply from the dealer.

I couldn't understand your reply regarding alloys, can you explain.

I was told by the dealer that 15 inch alloys if installed after market will not affect the warranty. Any size above 15 inch will void the warranty for suspension.
Old 20th January 2015, 08:50   #1999
BHPian

Quote:

I couldn't understand your reply regarding alloys, can you explain.

I was told by the dealer that 15 inch alloys if installed after market will not affect the warranty. Any size above 15 inch will void the warranty for suspension.
I was told by the dealer that installing after market alloys of any size will void warranty. The reason he gave is they are not designed properly and also recommended by Skoda

However Skoda warranty for suspension is only for the first 10K kms, which is minuscule/negligible. If Tafe guy says, 15 inch alloys doesn't void warranty then why are you worried dude. I personally don't advise to change the rim size, i.e stick to 15 inch.
hillsnrains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 12:37   #2000
BHPian

Quote:
Folks Today I am visiting Skoda Ass on the following issues
1. Steering kat-kat noise on full turn (column gone?), does anybody sorted out this recently? My car is under 4th year extended warranty and hope they don't create a fuss to repair this under warranty.
2. Suspension squeaking after landing from a speed breaker, a month back or so I have complained the same.
Now a days I am visiting Skoda ASS very frequently. on avg once in three months in last 1 year
Here is update from my visit to ASS on 19/1/2015.
While showing the white fumes emitting from dipstick pipe/passage, I noticed engine cover is loose. When I checked infront of engineer to my shock, one hook/holder is broken (refer the image below)
Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-engine_cover_hook.jpg
This is definitely done by ASS guys, during my last visit or so and did not disclose to me. This is expected from Skoda ASS, they damage/change parts and don't reveal to customers. In the end they put blame on poor customer.

Regarding white fumes from Dipstick:
When engine is idling fumes from crankcase will come and it is there in all Skoda cars, however the magnitude of fumes will vary between cars. Engineer also said VAG scan does not show any errors in terms of cylinder pressure etc. Conclusion is no problem with car.

other complaint resolutions
1. They concluded that steering column is perfectly ok.
2. They say lubrication/greasing is fine to solve this issue. However I have to visit them for regular service with in 3K kms, so I will complain them again if issue arises.
3. When we have opened the bonnet and later engine cover, to my shock there is a leakage from both ends of the hose (they are calling this as breather hose). See the picture below
Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-leakage.jpg
They say problem is with hose and needs replacements (same story: rubber hoses are not covered under warranty ). One more location/area where Rapid owners need to look out for.

In the last one year my car was with ASS guys for 6 days. Skoda/VW guys used to say needs to visit service center only once in a year or 15K kms. Now this is a myth because of the following reasons.
1. For resolving small issues also ASS needs the vehicle with them for 2 days (this is minimum). I have taken prior appointment for this visit and not an impromptu.
2. Even if you give for regular service like oil/filter changes also they will keep the vehicle for two days which is same as 2 visits of Maruti/Hyundai guys in a year.
3. Between the 15K or 1 yr service, one has to go (recommended by Skoda) for intermediate/regular checkup after 7.5K kms. So where is the point of yearly once service.
4. Skoda keep on selling vehicles w/o increasing in neither dealers/ASS centers nor expansion of existing facilities.

Last edited by hillsnrains : 20th January 2015 at 12:39.
hillsnrains is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 14:29   #2001
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the update. At least now we shall worry less about fumes.

Quote:
1. For resolving small issues also ASS needs the vehicle with them for 2 days (this is minimum). I have taken prior appointment for this visit and not an impromptu.
It depends on the severity of issue. You need to push them to check your vehicle on priority basis using VAG-Com machine and giver their findings ASAP.

Quote:
2. Even if you give for regular service like oil/filter changes also they will keep the vehicle for two days which is same as 2 visits of Maruti/Hyundai guys in a year.
When ever I too give my Vento TDi for service, they too ask for 2 days. But I put my foot down that I need my car by evening and they do it. You just got to be bit rigid and they will relent.

Quote:
3. Between the 15K or 1 yr service, one has to go (recommended by Skoda) for intermediate/regular checkup after 7.5K kms. So where is the point of yearly once service.
There is no need for 7500 kms checkup. It was introduced as a free service to new owners for a point of parity between other manufacturer. You only need to visit them once at 15000 Kms or 1 year which ever comes first.

Quote:
4. Skoda keep on selling vehicles w/o increasing in neither dealers/ASS centers nor expansion of existing facilities.
That's sadly true. Maybe people don't take dealership due to high cost involved in setting up and they would think that VW & Skoda sell less car monthly so we will have lesser car to service compared to Suzuki & Hyundai. Also later have more frequent service interval.

I too have a single workshop for the whole town of Navi Mumbai but the dealer has doubled the workshop space.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 11:36   #2002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
It depends on the severity of issue. You need to push them to check your vehicle on priority basis using VAG-Com machine and giver their findings ASAP.
I agree with you to some extent but not completely, you can push once or twice when there is genuine need for the vehicle but not every time you visit. There is one more risk with these infamous ASS guys, if you don't give their sweet time they won't do good job. For example during my 30K service, they have billed for alignment and balancing but not done. Since then I will get only those tasks which cannot be performed by outsiders

Quote:
There is no need for 7500 kms checkup. It was introduced as a free service to new owners for a point of parity between other manufacturer. You only need to visit them once at 15000 Kms or 1 year which ever comes first.
For those who can't clean air and a/c filters and check the fluid levels, i would suggest to get these things done by ASS @7.5K kms. This is mainly because 15k is too much for our Indian environmental conditions(read hell lot of dust in the air). More over cleaning the air filter is quite tricky as the screws used by Skoda are not the regular ones and you need to visit some neighbour hood garage.
hillsnrains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 10:30   #2003
BHPian

Quote:
the reverse parking camera is not an authorized fitment approved by Skoda for Rapid. If the same is fit, it will void the warranty of the car.
While getting the car out of the showroom(Vinayak, Sadashiva nagar), I wanted to change the HU as well to Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835. The accessory guy asked if could like to go for the camera as well and I just said unless it voids the warranty. My car now has a camera as well as the sensors connected to Philadelphia.

Do check with him as he deals with the accessories there,
Suresh -9900033439.
lakshman1067 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 10:50   #2004
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Regarding white fumes from Dipstick:
When engine is idling fumes from crankcase will come and it is there in all Skoda cars, however the magnitude of fumes will vary between cars. Engineer also said VAG scan does not show any errors in terms of cylinder pressure etc. Conclusion is no problem with car.
Did you check if the fumes go off when you rev the engine? As suggested earlier in another post?
Old 24th January 2015, 12:08   #2005
BHPian

I took delivery of my Rapid 1.5 TDI Ambition plus white color yesterday. I will spend more time with the car during the weekend and update.

I need to get used to all the interior controls etc, because almost everything in terms of switches and controls are different when compared to any typical Indian cars.

In terms of initial run in for the first 1000 kms, I will not exceed 80kmph and 2.5k rpm. Is this fine?

Last edited by rki2007 : 24th January 2015 at 12:34.
Old 24th January 2015, 13:13   #2006
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
I took delivery of my Rapid 1.5 TDI Ambition plus white color yesterday. I will spend more time with the car during the weekend and update.

I need to get used to all the interior controls etc, because almost everything in terms of switches and controls are different when compared to any typical Indian cars.

In terms of initial run in for the first 1000 kms, I will not exceed 80kmph and 2.5k rpm. Is this fine?
congrats ! wish you many happy miles
I am on a similar boat - I got the delivery of 1.6TDI amb+ in October (when the discounts were on) - although modern engines do not need a strict "run-in", I have been restricting myself to 90 with occasional climbs to 100 (in the 1.6TDI, 100 is achieved ~2250 rpm) - however, it's hard to restrain yourself with the sheer "go" of this engine - from 50/60 to 100 is pure bliss (my comparison standards are pretty low, since my earlier car is a K10 estilo)
I will be keeping to 90 until the 7500 check-up (done 4.5k now)
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2015, 16:19   #2007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Did you check if the fumes go off when you rev the engine? As suggested earlier in another post?
Those fumes does not totally go off but reduces significantly, after raising the engine rpm. This check is done after regular 15-20 km runs. I need to check the same after long run, say 100+ kms.
Quote:

Congrats mate on your new beast and I wish you many happy miles!
Regarding the engine run in 2.5k kms is fine and you need to vary the rpm in between. Just follow the Team BHP run in procedure here

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
I will be keeping to 90 until the 7500 check-up (done 4.5k now)
Mate running in for 7.5K kms is very long. As you have covered already 4.5K kms, just enjoy the car.
hillsnrains is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 22:12   #2008
BHPian

Few pics of my white beauty

Tyre upgrade has become a neccessity now. When I saw the car in the stock yard, it had come with Apollo Alnac tyres with OEM alloys. I had not opted for alloys. I was shocked to see JK tyres being fitted to the car on the delivery day. This is not acceptable is what I felt. But I thought within myself how can a dealer of Skoda, that too Tafe not have a foul play. Indeed they are famous for that. I argued with the sales guys, but they were least bothered and they gave me an answer that only OEM alloys come with Apollo Alnac and all rim wheels come with JK Tyres!!!. I know that it is cock and bull story.

Delivery process was not a great experience. Even after several reminders, saying that I would reach the showroom exact at 5pm and want to take delivery of my car by 6pm, the Tafe guys messed up. They were still cleaning the car and it was already 5.30pm and in addition to that there was a small chip of paint gone on the left wheel arch and a blackish mark on the bumper. With all these things I would say I really did not have a great experience.

Initially I was breaking my head whether to upgrade the tyres are not considering that I would be getting the Apollo Alnac and based on advise from the tyre masters, I finally decided to live with Alnac.

But now having got the JK tyres, I think i have no option other than to get rid of this real crappy thing on earth. Also look at those stupid design of wheel caps, I feel it is really spoiling the elegant look of the car. As decided earlier, I would be getting a good set of alloys soon.

So wallet will become more thinner now!!
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-wp_20150124_001.jpg  

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-wp_20150124_002.jpg  

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-wp_20150124_003.jpg  

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-wp_20150124_005.jpg  

Last edited by rki2007 : 25th January 2015 at 22:29.
rki2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2015, 15:34   #2009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But now having got the JK tyres, I think i have no option other than to get rid of this real crappy thing on earth. Also look at those stupid design of wheel caps, I feel it is really spoiling the elegant look of the car.
Congratulations on your new car. My advice from owning Vento TDi for nearly 4 years would be too
1. Get extended warranty
2. Extended road side assistance

Now coming to JK tyres. My car too came with those. I too had decided to change them but it was wise not to. They are very good tyres and hold great in wet conditions & high speed driving. Also they are made in technical collaboration with Continental Germany.

Yes, but you do need to get alloys, those wheel caps are definitely spoiling the looks of the car.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 11:22   #2010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Few pics of my white beauty

But now having got the JK tyres, I think i have no option other than to get rid of this real crappy thing on earth. Also look at those stupid design of wheel caps, I feel it is really spoiling the elegant look of the car.
Congrats rki2007 on your latest pick and wish you many happy motoring miles.

I don't remember which tires my GT TDI came with as OEM, but I upgraded them to 205/55 rubber the very next day and I can vouch by my decision, that its probably one of the most important changes needed.

And those wheel caps look like they came from PREMIER RIO !!

Since you have already started looking for alloys, please get the right tire size and you will never regret your decision. Please post the ownership report of your car.

P.S - I believe your Rapid is a TDI, since I don't see your mentioning it anywhere.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 27th January 2015 at 11:23.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks