Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2014, 23:25   #1546
Senior - BHPian

I was on a long trip recently and experienced very obvious "shuddering" when i slowed down from high speeds like 120-140 or so. There was quite a bit of noise from the steering wheel too. I had a similar experience when I had done about 9k on the ODO and that time vinayak skoda changed the brake discs and pads citing that the scouring marks in the brake discs could be the cause. Later I wrote to skoda arguing that such parts cannot have a life of just 9k kms. And they reimbursed the value of the discs. Now I have just covered another 6000 kms after this brake disc change and it looks like a very similar problem. Any similar experiences? Or does the car really shudder when you try to brake slowly from high speeds? Could it be the puny 175 stock apollos?
Old 22nd April 2014, 23:41   #1547
Senior - BHPian

I recently drove a vento trend line TDI for a very short distance and I was surprised by some very apparent differences between the rapid.

Engine noise seemed quieter in the vento, I actually thought that the rapid has better insulation, but this was a brand new vento, could that have made a difference?

The steering felt very light, much lighter than the rapid, almost like a swift.

Some how the interior quality seemed a little inferior, more to do with power window buttons etc. I could be wrong since I drove the vento for a very short distance. Anyone noticed such glaring differences?
Old 23rd April 2014, 01:26   #1548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I was on a long trip recently and experienced very obvious "shuddering" when i slowed down from high speeds like 120-140 or so. There was quite a bit of noise from the steering wheel too. I had a similar experience when I had done about 9k on the ODO and that time vinayak skoda changed the brake discs and pads citing that the scouring marks in the brake discs could be the cause. Later I wrote to skoda arguing that such parts cannot have a life of just 9k kms. And they reimbursed the value of the discs. Now I have just covered another 6000 kms after this brake disc change and it looks like a very similar problem. Any similar experiences? Or does the car really shudder when you try to brake slowly from high speeds? Could it be the puny 175 stock apollos?

Seems to be a common problem!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ds-brakes.html

My car faced the same issue got my brakes replaced.
Still not convinced of the solution.
Old 23rd April 2014, 07:02   #1549
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
The last update I received was, it is really the Gear Shift cable which is damaged and they currently do not have stock. It might take about 10 working days for the part to arrive.
Need some suggestions here.. As it might take about 10+ working days, I have some questions,
1. Is it advisable to leave the car at Skoda A.S.S till then?

2. Should I ask for replacement (not sure if this is the right word to use) car till then?
Old 25th April 2014, 16:18   #1550
BHPian

Yesterday happened to be both good and bad for me and my Rapid. Let me talk about the good thing first.

I received the extended warranty certificate and an intimation that the RC book is ready. Till I received the certificate, I was of the opinion that the extended warranty is for 2 years in addition to the standard 2 years making it a 4 year warranty. But when I saw the extended warranty certificate, it was mentioned that it is a 3 year plan and the extended warranty is for 1095 days . Now I have peace of mind till March 2019.

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-ext-warranty.jpg

Coming to bad news now.

As I have already mentioned in my review, there are few plastic parts in the car which are really flimsy owing to the cost cutting measures. One such part which I overlooked is a part of driver arm rest. It is a small plastic cover present at the elbow joint of the arm rest and aids in adjusting the height. While cleaning the car yesterday, I lifted the arm rest and the cover just broke . To make things worse, it went inside the arm rest and locked itself. I was not able to adjust the height and the default one was too high.

This is how it should be. The plastic I am talking about is marked in red rectangle:
Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-how-shud-luk.jpg

After the lock broke, the plastic cover went inside (arrow mark) and I could not get it out:
Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-after-breaking.jpg

Lost my sleep yesterday and the first thing this morning was to take the car to the workshop. The sales guys had already informed the service people but in spite of that they were not ready to take in the vehicle. They asked me to come on Tuesday but I refused and insisted that a technician take a look. They relented and technician came over to take a look and access the damage.

This is the conversation with the technician

Tech: The lock is broken and we need to change the assembly.
Me: Assembly in the sense the complete arm rest?
Tech: Guess yes. Need to check completely to find out. We have to take the car in.
Me: Boss, first retrieve the part which is inside and then let us talk about replacement.
Tech, after taking out the cover: The lock is broken, I will fix it temporarily now and it should not come off. If it comes off, let us take it up further.
Me: Thanks

Till now the juggaad is working fine. According to me, its not the lock which broke, but a small hinge which connects the cover to the arm rest. Here is snap after the juggaad

If I am not wrong, the small white spec (circled in red) is broken and should be connected to where the arrow is marked. If it connected, the cover will work flawlessly. In that case, I can use some adhesive and stick it.
Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-how-.jpg

Any other suggestion friends?
Old 26th April 2014, 20:00   #1551
BHPian

I am planning to change my car and am vacillating between the Skoda Rapid and the new Honda city.
Although I am currently in Pune, but my job requires me to be at different locations all throughout the country.
I am more concerned about the after sales service and wanted some advice from the Team BHPians.
P.S- I am going for a petrol car only.
Old 26th April 2014, 23:55   #1552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nda992 View Post
I am more concerned about the after sales service and wanted some advice from the Team BHPians.
Since your requirement is a petrol car and hassle free ownership nothing beats Honda City.

But if you decide to explore what true cars are and what pleasure a German sedan give then there is no better option than VW Vento 1.2 TSi.

Advantages
1. Small displacement, more power & torque per cubic capacity.
2. Fun to drive car.
3. 7 Speed DSG, driving in city traffic would be bliss.
4. DSG gives better economy compared to stock manual or even CVT.
5. Extended warranty on Vento 2+2 years which is hassle free.
6. Vento is almost 5 yr old product wherein almost all problems have been ironed out and technicians know to work on it.

Test drive a Vento 1.2 TSi and City 1.5 CVT back to back on highway & street roads and decide what works best for you.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 12:00   #1553
BHPian

Not sure where else I can post though!

As my car still at Skoda Service Center (its been more than a week now) and they are still waiting for the part to arrive.

I am pushing Skoda for loaner car in the mean while. They mentioned it will be a Taxi and all the expenses will be reimbursed. And they will confirm by today evening.

Wanted to check with others, if they have used loaner vehicle earlier and any advices on it.
Old 2nd May 2014, 00:18   #1554
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_convert View Post
Seems to be a common problem!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ds-brakes.html

My car faced the same issue got my brakes replaced.
Still not convinced of the solution.

Thanks for the above link. I emailed skoda and the dealer about this repetitive issue. Later I went down to the service centre and the technician acknowledged the issue. They apparently got a go ahead from skoda to change the brake discs and pads once again free of cost. Initially the dealer told me that they would charge me for the labour, but I refused to give in. I had paid labour charges when they changed the discs earlier and I had also paid for Brake cleaning and testing just a week back. Finally they did not push the labour charges and delivered the car in 2 days time. So there you go, this is my 3rd set of brake discs and pads in a matter of 2 years, and I have driven just 17000kms. While I'm satisfied with the level of support provided by skoda and the dealer, I'm not sure if the problem is resolved completely. If the issue arises once again then I would have to pay on my own. I'm surprised that not many vento owners have noticed such issues and it seems to much more prevalent in the Rapids.

It's a shame really, such a fantastic car except for this issue.

Last edited by motorworks : 2nd May 2014 at 00:20.
Old 2nd May 2014, 06:22   #1555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I'm surprised that not many vento owners have noticed such issues and it seems to much more prevalent in the Rapids.
Intriguing indeed, essentially both are same cars, and if Vento does not have this problem, why not replicate it on this? No wonder Vento sells much more than this even though its not that VFM.
Old 2nd May 2014, 22:57   #1556
BHPian

Hi

I am looking for the wiring diagram of Rapid. Basically need it for the headlights. As I had mentioned earlier, I have sourced the projector units coming in the new models and want to install the same in my 2012 car.

Due to certain functionality problems, I wanted to go through the wiring diagrams of both the models, the new(with projectors) and the old(without projectors) one.

Could anyone be having the diagram or the workshop manual of both the models?

Thanks
Old 3rd May 2014, 02:44   #1557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nda992 View Post
I am planning to change my car and am vacillating between the Skoda Rapid and the new Honda city.
Although I am currently in Pune, but my job requires me to be at different locations all throughout the country.
Guess you'll be doing a lot of highway driving, on surfaces whose conditions vary from slick to cratered. The City IMO is true to its name: it is not a highway car, skinny tyres, feather light build, light steering, weak-ish braking.

The Rapid diesel should tempt you though, except that I think the new Fiat Linea t-jet is the IDEAL petrol car for your needs. It has more power and torque than the city and even the vento tsi (though the latter has the USP of the DSG transmission), awesome ground clearance, ride, handling, steering and braking. And the new interiors are groovy, and high quality.

I'd strongly urge you to check it out. And the new Fiat dealerships in Pune are alright, from what I hear. Let us know what you decide.

[Disclosure: I have a linea for the last four years. Happy with it, so much so that have gone in for the new t-jet, even as I am going to hold on to the older car for a while longer since it has aged better than its owner! So my advice is what you might call 'rationally biased'!]
desdemona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 17:36   #1558
BHPian

Škoda Auto India is offering free summer service with 16 point check up from May 2nd-31st. I am availing this service in the coming week
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 18:30   #1559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Škoda Auto India is offering free summer service with 16 point check up from May 2nd-31st. I am availing this service in the coming week
Yeah.. Heard of this offer on Radio.

Any details on what 16 points they are talking?

Last edited by 500ContyCruiser : 6th May 2014 at 18:33.
Old 7th May 2014, 11:55   #1560
BHPian

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Is there a downside to shifting early on a diesel car?

The Rapid easily picks up in the third gear and in traffic that is a lot of help.

Does it affect the clutch plate?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks