Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2013, 12:37   #961
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
And here is the fluid change interval for the Etios/Liva

...In Nippon Toyota, Cochin, they also have leaflets explaining what design features on each Toyota component makes it last so long..
Now I understand why the service costs are low! All the more respect for Toyota!
Old 15th February 2013, 20:06   #962
Distinguished - BHPian

Mazda rebadges Ertiga as VX-1.

Quote:
The Madza VX-1 is essentially a rebadged Maruti Ertiga, exclusive to Indonesia.
The Suzuki Ertiga is enjoying a very good demand in Indonesia and it’ll be interesting to see how much of it is going to be diluted by the Mazda VX-1. Even if the unforeseen eventuality of the VX-1 beating the Ertiga comes to pass, Suzuki is the ultimate winner.
http://indianautosblog.com/2013/02/m...ndonesia-63760
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2013, 20:24   #963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
And here is the fluid change interval for the Etios/Liva
  • Engine Oil - every 10,000 kms
  • Gearbox/Transmission oil - No periodic replacements needed. Just inspection and topup
  • Coolant - First change at 1,60,000 kms ( I did not add the extra zero by mistake. It's 1 lakh 60 thousand kms. Toyota call this coolant - Toyota Super long life coolant ) and then every 80,000 kms
  • Brake fluid - every 40,000 kms
And here is the filter replacement intervals

• Oil Filter - every 10,000 kms
  • Fuel filter - every 80,000 kms ( They use Denso lifetime filter. As per the engineers in Denso, it lasts for the lifetime of the vehicle and needs to be changed only if the ECU shows a reduction in fuel pressure near the outlet of the filter )
  • Air Filter - every 40,000 kms
In Nippon Toyota, Cochin, they also have leaflets explaining what design features on each Toyota component makes it last so long.

I also got information that Toyota uses piezo electric injectors on the Etios.

I'm curious as to why Maruti makes its customers replace components every 20,000 kms! Either they are
  • under-estimating the quality of their own filters/fluids or
  • they are using lower quality components
  • using it as an opportunity to create more revenue.
It could be a mix of all, but, I firmly believe that it is more about the last point than anything else.
Amalji sir, I think this is the schedule for Etios/Liva Petrol version. Fuel filter of Etios/Liva petrol is good till 80000 kms (thats for all petrol cars anyway). For previous year service costs of Toyota vehicles till 1.6 Lakh kms please see this post of mine:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2845773

Current prices have increased by some amount. I was at Toyota service center just few days back to schedule a service for our Altis Diesel. I will update soon as the car gets serviced.
Old 16th February 2013, 20:59   #964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
Amalji sir, I think this is the schedule for Etios/Liva Petrol version. Fuel filter of Etios/Liva petrol is good till 80000 kms (thats for all petrol cars anyway). For previous year service costs of Toyota vehicles till 1.6 Lakh kms please see this post of mine:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2845773

Current prices have increased by some amount. I was at Toyota service center just few days back to schedule a service for our Altis Diesel. I will update soon as the car gets serviced.
  1. Comparisons involves Etios Diesel ( not Petrol ). Everything is taken from my manual.
  2. With fuel filters, I went wrong. 80,000 is for Petrol. But, no replacement interval is mentioned for the Diesel Fuel Filters as well. When I inquired about it, the information I got was that it is equipped with Lifetime fuel filter from Denso and hence doesn't need to be replaced till the fuel flow sensor detects a lowering of fuel flow pressure .
  3. The prices you gave on the Corolla service doesn't match that of the Etios. Etios 10,000 service costed around 1,800 and the 20,000 around 2,200 odd ( if we use mineral oil )

Last edited by amalji : 16th February 2013 at 21:24.
amalji is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 13:07   #965
Senior - BHPian

Thats one brilliantly written review covering all the aspects of the Ertiga.
Initially looking at the price and it being a 7 seater, looks very desirable. But the review definitely shows its not a proper 7 seater or even a conmortable 5 seater.
I am actually in search of a new 7 seater SUV/MUV, but will not consider it as a choice.
Instead i would opt for the Innova, which is a brilliantly MUV.
I searched for the Innova review, unfortunately couldn't the proper Team-BHP style official review of the Innova. I know everybody knows what Innova is and offers, but hope Mods consider this as a request review Innova also. It will help a lot of buyers who are in hunt for a SUV/MUV.
sridhar24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 18:22   #966
Senior - BHPian

Ertigans, do I have to do wheel balancing and alignment after every 10k kms? Because the manual states that I do it only when I feel a wobbly steering at speed. As of now the car goes in a straight line without steering input so I thought I'll give it a pass. What do you guys reckon? Basically I don't want those mechanics driving my car in the name of testing! I'm a noob when it comes to letting anybody else to drive my car and yeah I don't do valet parking for that reason!
Old 26th February 2013, 19:05   #967
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
As of now the car goes in a straight line without steering input so I thought I'll give it a pass. What do you guys reckon? Basically I don't want those mechanics driving my car in the name of testing! I'm a noob when it comes to letting anybody else to drive my car and yeah I don't do valet parking for that reason!
Balancing issues will usually result in wobbles at speeds in excess of 90-100kmph

Alignment issues will cause the car to pull towards one particular direction on a flat road surface.

Basically, it is a good practice to get the alignment done on a periodic basis at every 5000 kms (along with wheel rotation).

Balancing can be done anytime when you face wobbling at high speeds

NOTE: Assuming that everything else related to suspension and steering is in good condition.

Last edited by paragsachania : 26th February 2013 at 19:07.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 19:09   #968
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Ertigans, do I have to do wheel balancing and alignment after every 10k kms? Because the manual states that I do it only when I feel a wobbly steering at speed. As of now the car goes in a straight line without steering input so I thought I'll give it a pass.!
Usually my cars do not have any sort of pulling problem when I go for alignment. However, on the machine, I do find out small offsets. Its better you get it done periodically and as frequent as possible(depending upon how bad the roads are) so as to avoid tyre wear. The alignment guy said in some cases, tyres can go bad in 1k kms if the alignment has been affected. So, prevent periodically than to cure.

Regarding balancing, wobbling is again felt if the wheel is severely unbalanced. Else you may find some minor vibration. Any sort of imbalance is not good for the steering and suspension components, more than your hand. Hence, get balancing done at least 20k kms once.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2013, 15:38   #969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Usually my cars do not have any sort of pulling problem when I go for alignment. However, on the machine, I do find out small offsets. Its better you get it done periodically and as frequent as possible(depending upon how bad the roads are) so as to avoid tyre wear. The alignment guy said in some cases, tyres can go bad in 1k kms if the alignment has been affected. So, prevent periodically than to cure.
I have learnt from ignorance. In the Uno as well as the Innova that I have owned over the last 15 years, I stopped doing balancing / alignment after the car had done 40k on a set of tires (usually I replace the tires around 45k mark) ..in both the cars, the tires were ok till about 46-47k and withing one major trip ...around 1000 kms, the insides of the tires wore out! It happened on a trip to Hyderabad - Mahabaleswar on the Uno and Hyderabad - Ooty on the Innova.

No damage caused as they were due for replacement anyway but just sharing an experience.
Old 1st March 2013, 10:59   #970

Hello to all Team-BHPians. @paragsachania, I would completely agree with you. Balancing, alignment and all 5 tyre rotation should be done at 5000 kms, especially if you driving is long and regular daily. We all are aware of how 'GOOD' our country's roads and traffic is. Balancing and alignment does not cost much, but does help a lot. I have a Wagon R CNG 2003, run 1,05,000kms. I have Regularly done the balancing alignment and tyre rotation, and faced no issues. My first set of tyres lasted for 55,000kms.
Old 2nd March 2013, 12:22   #971
BHPian

Today I have given my Vdi for the 10000km service, to Kalyani motors. They gave me choice of going for normal oil or synthetic oil. They say that if I go for synthetic oil, oil change is not required at 20K service, can be done only during 30K service. But they insist that it is better to service the car every 5000km, even though the manual recommends every 10k km only.
Old 2nd March 2013, 16:48   #972
BHPian

20k interval for synthetic would be too much.which oil have you opted for?
Old 2nd March 2013, 16:52   #973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad75 View Post
20k interval for synthetic would be too much.which oil have you opted for?
I have opted for synthetic oil.
Old 2nd March 2013, 20:17   #974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Today I have given my Vdi for the 10000km service, to Kalyani motors. They gave me choice of going for normal oil or synthetic oil. They say that if I go for synthetic oil, oil change is not required at 20K service, can be done only during 30K service. But they insist that it is better to service the car every 5000km, even though the manual recommends every 10k km only.
That 5k interval is typically for general inspection and cleaning of air filter and wheel rotation etc.

If you are ok doing all of these at outside, you can stick to 10k interval.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 10:21   #975
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Somehow feel that an Oil Change (along with filter/s) cleans up the engine and getting the car to the service centre for this also ensures other checks are performed. So in case of my Aria were 15,000 kms interval is given and where the SA does offer the option of Synthetic Oil I prefer to always get the car serviced between 7500 - 10,000 kms but use natural oil rather than synthetice as I am selecting a shorter interval. Saves money overall and actually feel am driving a freshly serviced car more often (longer period overall). Suggest this option for all cars where the company does not make synthetic oil compulsory.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks