Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2016, 19:25   #2776
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by naut View Post
Hey BD,

Yes, this is possible. I have done this myself for my Ertiga. You can refer to my post on the NCB thread and posts leading up to this post to get some idea. Hope it helps!
Very useful post and thread. I had read parts of that thread, but had not seen your post.

What I didn't completely understand is whether there was a period after buying your new car, that it had no insurance ? I was told by a sales guy that you cannot take the car out of showroom without an insurance. This is the time before you buy insurance for your new car, using the old car's NCB.

Also, if the old car is part of an "exchange" deal with an authorized dealer (S.a. Maruti True Value), I believe that they don't actually transfer the vehicle to their name, but only give some kind of undertaking. Only after they find a buyer, do they effect the registration change etc. Any idea on this ?
bdutta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 19:40   #2777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post
Very useful post and thread. I had read parts of that thread, but had not seen your post.

What I didn't completely understand is whether there was a period after buying your new car, that it had no insurance ? I was told by a sales guy that you cannot take the car out of showroom without an insurance. This is the time before you buy insurance for your new car, using the old car's NCB.
Sales guy is right! You can't take the car out on the road without insurance.

Quote:
Also, if the old car is part of an "exchange" deal with an authorized dealer (S.a. Maruti True Value), I believe that they don't actually transfer the vehicle to their name, but only give some kind of undertaking. Only after they find a buyer, do they effect the registration change etc. Any idea on this ?
Yes. I also sold my Fusion to True value. So, I had wait till a buyer came by for it, which took quite some time.

So, what I did was, pay the full insurance for the first year without NCB (Had no choice!). During the first year of ownership of my new car, my previous car was sold. So, got the NCB letter from the previous insurer after the car was sold and using that got the NCB discount for the second year of insurance of my new car. Hope that explains.

However, there's one thing that you could try. If your current car insurance is up for renewal, change it to third party insurance and then ask the insurance company to hand you the NCB letter (as NCB discount is not provided for 3rd party covers). This will enable you to get the NCB letter and you could directly get the new car insurance with NCB benefit.

May be, you can try this even if the insurance is not due for renewal. Just show up at the insurer and ask them to suspend the current insurance policy and issue a new third party policy. (Note: This will mean, assessment of your current car for insurance which will be charged to you, and technically, your car would be out of cover between the brief period of policy suspension and when the new TP policy comes into effect! May be for a day or so.) I reckon, they may have a provision to refund some amount to you on pro-rata basis for the suspended cover which you would have paid in full. However, I am not very sure about this.

Although I tried the above, at the time of insurance renewal of my previous car, I was not successful in getting it done. However, the NCB thread does list examples of bhpians who've managed to pull it off with some private insurers. So, if you can pull it off. Nothing like it. All the best!

Last edited by naut : 29th April 2016 at 20:07. Reason: edits
naut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2016, 11:16   #2778
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Didn't realize that the MGA roof carrier was detachable. Last time I visited the showroom (3 months back), they showed me a roof carrier that was supposed to cost 9K INR, and it was not easily detachable (needed skills and screwdriver to detach/re-attach).

Any chance you post a photograph ?
Allen Key + 15 minutes and you can remove/attach the carrier. I keep the carrier in balcony most of the time and attach it when I go on long trips.
mobix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2016, 12:02   #2779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naut View Post
So, what I did was, pay the full insurance for the first year without NCB (Had no choice!). During the first year of ownership of my new car, my previous car was sold. So, got the NCB letter from the previous insurer after the car was sold and using that got the NCB discount for the second year of insurance of my new car. Hope that explains.
Pretty clear now. However the same insurance company gave you NCB benefit for same policy during renewal? Not a new policy with "loading" applied, right?
Old 30th April 2016, 17:28   #2780
BHPian

Quote:
Pretty clear now. However the same insurance company gave you NCB benefit for same policy during renewal? Not a new policy with "loading" applied, right?
Not sure if I understood your question correctly. I renewed the insurance for Ertiga (for the second year) from Maruti Insurance (Iffco Tokio) from whom I had taken the cover for the first year as well. At the time of renewal, I asked them to give quotes for with/without 50% NCB just so that I can compare it against competition. I had to provide the original NCB letter as proof to claim the NCB. Hope that clarifies.
naut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2016, 13:37   #2781
BHPian

I have a question for the petrol Ertiga owners. What is the fuel economy you are getting for the petrol, in city with a/c on, and on highways?
Old 2nd May 2016, 10:49   #2782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
@Ertiga Diesel Owners: I have seen many Ertigas with one common complaint in MASS. There is sudden loss of power and car goes into limp mode. It is accompanied by SVS light in few cases which shows error code of high boost pressure. Maruti is correcting the issue by EGR solenoid replacement/reflashing of ECU map/turbo change. I want to know if anybody here in Team-Bhp encountered this problem? I had same problem in my SX4 and turbo was replaced.
I have driven my new ERTIGA DIESEL SHVS for last 2 months with 2100kms on ODO, I haven't come across any issue as above. In fact, no issues so far observed (touchwood!).
GetLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 20:31   #2783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
I have a question for the petrol Ertiga owners. What is the fuel economy you are getting for the petrol, in city with a/c on, and on highways?
Wide range of figures seen. There's a long thread on another automobile-discussion site, where majority seem to indicate a median of 12kmpl in city, even lower in congested cities with 100% AC (saw figures of 9kmpl), though someone (just 1 or 2 people) talk of getting up to 15kmpl (not clear if city or highway). One thing seem to be consistent is that when FE issue is discussed with MASS folks, they promise increase after every service, for first 3 services.

This is really disappointing as I was planning to mo from petrol Logan to Ertiga (actually keeping the Logan, but using Ertiga for long trips), but with those performance figures, Logan in spite of being a heavier vehicle, has much better FE.
bdutta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 21:58   #2784
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Wide range of figures seen. There's a long thread on another automobile-discussion site, where majority seem to indicate a median of 12kmpl in city, even lower in congested cities with 100% AC (saw figures of 9kmpl), though someone (just 1 or 2 people) talk of getting up to 15kmpl (not clear if city or highway). One thing seem to be consistent is that when FE issue is discussed with MASS folks, they promise increase after every service, for first 3 services.

This is really disappointing as I was planning to mo from petrol Logan to Ertiga (actually keeping the Logan, but using Ertiga for long trips), but with those performance figures, Logan in spite of being a heavier vehicle, has much better FE.
Hi,

I am owner of a Petrol Ertiga. Already crossed 45000KM mark till now.

I am getting around 11 to 13 kmpl with 100% AC in pune city. 15+ kmpl on highway with 100% AC.

Ertiga petrol model do not have any mileage and power issue at all.

Just for your information my ownership thread is here :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...iga-zxi-8.html
KALINGA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 12:25   #2785
BHPian

Quote:
My Ertiga ZXi+ gives around 13 in the city with around 2 on board. (rarely 5). I used to get the same on my A Star.

Last weekend I went on a 700km+ round trip to Munnar with a full load of 7 passengers and a boot full of luggage. Even with all the uphill driving, AC usage, full load of passengers and all roads being two lane or single lane, I got a mileage of 15kmpl tankfull to tankfull.

The car crossed 2000km during the trip.

Pretty decent I think.

Last edited by Ramon : 3rd May 2016 at 12:26.
Ramon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 20:11   #2786
Distinguished - BHPian

Attention all Swift/Dzire/Ertiga/New Baleno Owners!!

Was going through the latest accessory brochure which my MASS got today. Two of the most sought after accessories, for which often the owners turn towards online "universal" options, are now available as MGA

1. Front Armrest(Black for Swift,Baleno, Beige for Ertiga and Dzire)
2. Rear foldable Sunshade

Attaching the images of the brochure which carries the part numbers/prices for easy reference and visualization.

1. Brochure Image(Click to ZOOM)

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-20160505_182019.jpg

2. Armrest

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-20160505_182044.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 19:36   #2787
BHPian

Would be happy to delete this post if this is considered as unsuitable here, but I am seeking opinion and viewpoints of 2 sets of people, to help me converge on a decision.

I am divided (50:50) in my inclination to go for Ertiga and Lodgy (at comparable price bands, though going for Lodgy I'd be streching my original budget by about 1.5L). I'm hoping to hear from:
  • Ertiga owners who've considered Lodgy and then decided
    • NOT to go for it (Lodgy)
    • to go for it (Lodgy)
  • People who've (recently) considered both Ertiga and Lodgy and then decided on one of them
Hoping to hear why / why-not they picked one over the other, or did/did not consider switching from Etriga to Lodgy ?

Some of my personal findings/observations so far:
  • Having test-driven both, I found -
    • Lodgy to be somewhat more comfortable ride (both as driver and passenger, including on 3rd row). Felt more planted, and gentle over rough-patches. The 3rd row, with a cushion to raise height, seemed to make it a very usable 3rd row, and reasonably comfortable for 2 adults (unless they were taller than 5'-11").
    • Lodgy definitely felt more powerful (I test rode 85PS, 110PS and Ertiga ZXi all on same day), but that is evident from theoretical torque/power figures
    • Lodgy's body seemed to be slightly more robust, s.a. door-closing with a good "thud", compared to closing with a lighter "thunk". I've been afflicted with rusting and easy (light) dimples/dents on a previous car, and thus noticed it.
  • However, there's been zero production of Lodgy since last Oct(2015), and until now discounts upto 3.5Ls are being offered for total stock clearance. After an initial strong sales figures at launch, surprisingly it dropped quite heavily! Not sure why!
  • Perhaps there are not enough Lodgies in the resale market (obviously, given it's rather recent launch), but the few that are... seem to demand rather high resale price. Not sure what the real depreciation has been, or to be expected. Compared to that, 3yr Erigta seems to have had 40% depreciation (in resale price, may not be absolute). There are lot of original yellow-board Ertigas available on Quickr! 2012 seems to be the good year.
  • Finally, what is the future of Diesel vehicles, say in 7-10yrs from now. In 5yrs if govt regulations turn highly unfavourable for diesel vehicles, the resale value too would plummet.
Once again, if someone feels that this post has a better home (thread), kindly guide.

regards,
BD
Old 9th May 2016, 21:58   #2788
BHPian

What are the accessories to be purchased from showroom? Which ones can I purchase outside for Ertiga? This is my first new purchase from showroom.

The Maruti dealer is quoting Rs 8100 for art leather seat covers. They are also suggesting side beadings, full mat, carpets etc. Full mat is transparent and doesn't look like it actually covers everything.

Also for my Vxi, I was thinking of getting a touch screen music system (Sony, Maruti GA) and reverse camera. The showroom is quoting Rs 19000 for touchscreen music system and Rs 4300 for reverse parking. Is that too high? Can I get them installed somewhere outside ? Will it break any warranties? Any recommendations in Hyderabad as I am new here?
Old 10th May 2016, 09:25   #2789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What are the accessories to be purchased from showroom? Which ones can I purchase outside for Ertiga? This is my first new purchase from showroom.

The Maruti dealer is quoting Rs 8100 for art leather seat covers. They are also suggesting side beadings, full mat, carpets etc. Full mat is transparent and doesn't look like it actually covers everything.

Also for my Vxi, I was thinking of getting a touch screen music system (Sony, Maruti GA) and reverse camera. The showroom is quoting Rs 19000 for touchscreen music system and Rs 4300 for reverse parking. Is that too high? Can I get them installed somewhere outside ? Will it break any warranties? Any recommendations in Hyderabad as I am new here?
In general accessories from showroom will be costly compared to aftermarket. Ask few reputed accessories shop in your neighbourhood on pricing and then negotiate with your dealer. Accessories is where sometimes dealers give discount compared to cash price of the car. IMHO if you are planning to buy a touch screen unit, get a rear camera installed; with that your need for parking assist sensors will be greatly reduced.

My suggestion will be to get any accessories where painting is involved at the dealer (say the side beading and you want to paint it); rest all can be purchased outside if the price difference is high.

Regarding the SONY touch screen - find out the model number from your dealer and again do an online research to find what is the market price. Also note that a speaker upgrade is needed to extract maximum out of your new headunit.

Last edited by arjithin : 10th May 2016 at 09:28.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 23:48   #2790
JLS
BHPian

I am planning for 40 K KM service on my Ertiga ZDI.
Any specific points to suggest to A.S.S?

Also, had a typical issue, which was sorted out during 30K service - after couple of unsuccessful attempts.
There was slight additional noise, as if engine was straining - when car would reach 80 kmph in 5th gear @around 1800 rpm. After some setting with clutch and when it was not successful, they changed clutch plate set (under warranty) and the issue is largely taken care. There is only very slight whining that I can hear if I am too careful at around 80 kmph in 5th gear - much reduced from earlier and hardly noticeable, but it is there.
Also, technician told me while taking test drive after fixing the issue, that clutch plates were worn very unevenly and there were dark spots/stains on clutch plates, which is not normal and hence they changed under warranty.

I had read in few of the earlier posts in this thread that synchro ring failure causes a) gear shifting issues b) vibration/whining type noise and c) unevenly worn clutch plates.
And members have changed it under warranty

Now, from the above a) gear shifting is largely ok - not butter smooth, but I am able to manage just fine. b) noise is heard only to trained ears and that too if you are expecting to hear and c) clutch plates were worn unevenly.

Is it recommended to ask A.S.S to check synchro rings? If it is too complex and if one has to open whole gear box etc, is there a risk that a untrained technician may not fix it back properly and some new issue is added.
Suggestions are welcome.

Regards,
JLS

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks