Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2016, 20:56   #2731
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

My Ertiga is at 37K odo now. Last friday I was driving to Kerala and my car started developing some tic tic sound from engine bay at low speeds when driving over uneven road.
Since it was already past midnight and I had a gut feeling that it could be some issues with Suspension which hopefully wont strand me in the middle of road, I continued driving for another 300 km with the sound. Next day shown the car to my service advisor and he promptly diagnosed it as a failed stabilizer end link. Replaced the right side link for Rs 600 and the sound is gone.

Now I hear a different noise from front right wheel while coming back
When the car is at high speed (say 80 kmph+) and hit a uneven section of the road which makes the suspension travel down significantly; I hear a vibration kind of sound coming from the wheel. Once the suspension is back to normal, sound disappears ! ( which will happen in a second max).

I checked if wheel is touching anywhere on the wheel well, and that is not happening.
Suspension on the stationary vehicle is working fine, no sounds or squeaks.

Any idea what can be the problem?
Old 13th March 2016, 00:12   #2732

I am thinking of going in for Ertiga VDI very soon and fit it with Reverse Parking camera. I am also thinking of removing the 3rd row completely. This is to increase the book space without compromising in leg room of 2nd row.

Has anybody tried to remove the 3rd row completely and cover the floor with mat and carpet?
Old 13th March 2016, 10:19   #2733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASNAGOUDA View Post
I am thinking of going in for Ertiga VDI very soon and fit it with Reverse Parking camera. I am also thinking of removing the 3rd row completely. This is to increase the book space without compromising in leg room of 2nd row.

Has anybody tried to remove the 3rd row completely and cover the floor with mat and carpet?
Removing the 3rd row shouldn't be a major issue. if you search this forum you can find information on how someone made the old ertiga 3rd row split into 50-50. That post had photos of 3rd row removed.

3rd row is kept flat almost all the time in my car. I removed the headrest and put the 3rd row flat, hence the impact on second row leg room is minimal

Is your need a 5 seater with large bootspace, you may want to check options like S cross as well?

Last edited by arjithin : 13th March 2016 at 10:23.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2016, 18:19   #2734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
My Ertiga is at 37K odo now. Last friday I was driving to Kerala and my car started developing some tic tic sound from engine bay at low speeds when driving over uneven road.
I had a similar problem and after lots of tweaks here and there, finally my entire steering unit was replaced under warranty (10k cost). I had luckily extended my 3rd and 4th yr warranty This issue is very rare with Ertiga but service center says it does happen. I am not sure if yours is the same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASNAGOUDA View Post

Have you tried removing the plastic tray sitting in your boot? I removed it after seeing someone do it on Ertiga in team-bhp and it has resolved my boot space issues to a huge extent. If you haven't done that please try that first. Bcoz once you get that 'depth' you can store more things - a medium size stroller bag or 3-4 small bags
sam_sant2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2016, 20:23   #2735

Thank you arjithin and sam_sant2005.

Booked Ertiga ZDI+ today by paying 5K booking amount at Kalyani Motors, Banaswadi, Bangalore. The waiting period told to me is 3 and half months (14 weeks), but they will let me know tomorrow if there is any vehicle available in case of any cancelled booking. I have told them I am in no hurry and chosen Granite Grey colour.

They have quoted me 11,67,000 minus 10K cash discount = 11,57,000/-.

My better half and F-i-L have not liked the idea of removing the 3rd row after seeing that there is enough legroom in second row after collapsing the third row . But I will give it a try sometime in future if not immediate. I might have to build a wooden box (deep enough with cushioning on top to match the height of collapsed middle row), instead of just mat and carpet, in that space to hold luggage inside and for 2 persons to sit on it and for ease of getting in and out from rear door.

We all liked the idea of collapsing the 40% seat in second row along with collapsed 3rd row and use it for a single person to sleep or stretch legs. My teen age son cannot sit for long when on long drives
Old 13th March 2016, 21:57   #2736

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
Have you tried removing the plastic tray sitting in your boot? I removed it after seeing someone do it on Ertiga in team-bhp and it has resolved my boot space issues to a huge extent. If you haven't done that please try that first. Bcoz once you get that 'depth' you can store more things - a medium size stroller bag or 3-4 small bags
I am yet to get my Ertiga, and this is a good option to try out for luggage space. I have seen the snap that vinodv001 has shared in his post "DIY: Increasing the Maruti Ertiga's Boot space".

But if the height of luggage increases, then it is going to hamper moving in and out from rear door.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Removing the 3rd row shouldn't be a major issue. if you search this forum you can find information on how someone made the old ertiga 3rd row split into 50-50. That post had photos of 3rd row removed.
Yes, I have seen it in the same post of vinodv001 (mentioned above). That post is very helpful for any newbie.

Quote:
3rd row is kept flat almost all the time in my car. I removed the headrest and put the 3rd row flat, hence the impact on second row leg room is minimal
I am in sync with you on keeping the 3rd row flat all the time. It is just the thought of utilizing the seat space for luggage, by replacing it with a box which I will be giving a try sometime in near future. If it does not appeal, I will throw the box away .

Quote:
Is your need a 5 seater with large bootspace, you may want to check options like S cross as well?
Reasons for not going in for S-Cross:
1) S-Cross 1.3 Zeta and Alpha are both costlier than Ertiga ZDI+. S-Cross 1.6 is not in my budget.
2) S-Cross is new and its sales volume is still low, availability of spares and resale value depends on sales volume. S-Cross still has not proved its worth in the market and this will or may take time (concept of time tested vehicle).
Old 14th March 2016, 16:20   #2737
BHPian

On a recent drive my son and his friend got a little boisterous in the 3rd row and were practicing some good natured wrestling moves. The end result is that the last row does not fold down fully. It seems to get stuck at around 85% of the fold angle. I checked for any displaced bolts etc. but could find none. The base of the seat is sliding normally. Can anyone offer any suggestions on what could have gone wrong ?
Old 21st March 2016, 19:44   #2738
BHPian

Since the Dzire AMT Diesel has been launched a couple of months back, I was wondering if the Ertiga would also be launched in the AMT avatar?!

Also since there is news that the Renault Lodgy will also come with AMT, I think market leader Maruti Suzuki may not be too far behind. Does anyone have any news about an impending launch of the Ertiga AMT Diesel?!

Regards,
Varun
Old 23rd March 2016, 17:34   #2739
BHPian

[quote=Ramon;3910963]Had the same issue with my A Star Zxi. Reason is the clockspring going kaput. A straight warranty replacement (if you are under extended warranty).

If not cost is somewhere around 4500-5000 (for A Star). Maybe more for Ertiga due to steering mounted audio controls.

Hi thanks for the information. For me, the problem was Rats which bite the airbag sensor cable and horn cable Called the Maruti mobile service guys.They removed the bumper and replaced the cable. All well after that.
Old 24th March 2016, 12:11   #2740

Need v/s Want. Ertiga CNG VXI or ZXI+?

Hi Guys.

I have been postponing buying a new car since quite some time now as there are new models coming every now and then.

The family really liked the way Creta looked, but the price just slipped outside my budget (Budget maxed out @ Rs 9-10L). Waited for the Vitara Brezza and was disappointed on the space.

While I went to check out the Brezza, we had a look at other cars as well. There were a lot of discounts on offer for the Ciaz but after having the Honda City, we don't prefer going in for another sedan.

Then we were shown the Ertiga. We are a family of 4 only (Seldom accompanied by a chauffeur or an extra passenger). We instantly liked the car as it fell in our budget, Maruti's reliability and Ertiga is already an established and trusted brand.

What we also liked about the car was the flexiblity that it gave us on seating options, we know that the third row seat will be pretty much useless. However it can be utilised for keeping luggage handy.

Plus, the reclining 2nd row seats when slid back to the extreme come out as a blessing or rather supreme luxury for the passengers at the rear.
In short, the Ertiga was finalized.

Now here the problem begins. I don't have a running more than 1500 kms a month and occasional trips of 300-500 km every 6 months.

What I am not able to decide on is if I should go for the VXI CNG Model (which lacks features like Rear Wiper, Defogger, Height Adjustable Driver Seat) but has a very big advantage of a company fitted CNG kit that makes driving the car a very economic affair and brings down the costs considerably

OR

The ZXI/ZXI+ which might increase the initial investment by a few thousand rupees but comes with all bells and whistles (Navigation, SmartPlay System, Keyless Entry, Push Button Start etc) but does not have the CNG thus fractionally increasing running costs.

Please help guys.
Old 24th March 2016, 14:08   #2741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmitJobs View Post
Hi Guys.

I have been postponing buying a new car since quite some time now as there are new models coming every now and then.

The family really liked the way Creta looked, but the price just slipped outside my budget (Budget maxed out @ Rs 9-10L). Waited for the Vitara Brezza and was disappointed on the space.

While I went to check out the Brezza, we had a look at other cars as well. There were a lot of discounts on offer for the Ciaz but after having the Honda City, we don't prefer going in for another sedan.

Then we were shown the Ertiga. We are a family of 4 only (Seldom accompanied by a chauffeur or an extra passenger). We instantly liked the car as it fell in our budget, Maruti's reliability and Ertiga is already an established and trusted brand.

What we also liked about the car was the flexiblity that it gave us on seating options, we know that the third row seat will be pretty much useless. However it can be utilised for keeping luggage handy.

Plus, the reclining 2nd row seats when slid back to the extreme come out as a blessing or rather supreme luxury for the passengers at the rear.
In short, the Ertiga was finalized.

Now here the problem begins. I don't have a running more than 1500 kms a month and occasional trips of 300-500 km every 6 months.

What I am not able to decide on is if I should go for the VXI CNG Model (which lacks features like Rear Wiper, Defogger, Height Adjustable Driver Seat) but has a very big advantage of a company fitted CNG kit that makes driving the car a very economic affair and brings down the costs considerably

OR

The ZXI/ZXI+ which might increase the initial investment by a few thousand rupees but comes with all bells and whistles (Navigation, SmartPlay System, Keyless Entry, Push Button Start etc) but does not have the CNG thus fractionally increasing running costs.

Please help guys.
If CNG is high on priority, go for a factory fitted kit. Seat height adjust seat can be fitted afterwards by purchasing the higher model seat.

The other features I'm not sure if they can be fitted aftermarket. Ask the dealer if its possible.

Its all about priorities. And that's for you to decide.
Old 24th March 2016, 16:25   #2742
BHPian

Re: Need v/s Want. Ertiga CNG VXI or ZXI+?

Well considering your running I don't think the CNG kit should be first in your bucket list. I think you just just go for the top variants. Execially cause you mentioned that you will prsonally be driving the car. Driver seat height adjustment is such a blessing to have over those long drives. And so are many other features that cannot be added in the after market. Well just my suggestion in the end it all comes to your prorities.
Old 24th March 2016, 23:52   #2743
BHPian

@SmitJobs. ZXI/ZXI+ if possible mate. Looks like you are more interested in features which I do not think defines a car. Do not get me wrong but I guess the safety features like airbags, ABS with EBD, rear wiper and defogger will be of more use than gimmicky features.

Smartphones can double up as navigation device and investing around 1K would get a good mobile phone holder.

There will be ICE system which can pair with either IOS or Android and will give you similar functionality as Smart Play. The options will be less now but in 6 months to a year market will be flooded with such devices.

Keyless entry/Start Stop really? How much time does it take to press a key on the key fob or to put the key in ignition hole and start it?

You can mostly have all gimmicky stuff installed after market. But I don’t think either airbags or abs can be retrofitted.

Besides if you choose ZXI/ZXI+ you will get all the safety features along with the rest of the feature.

Choosing VXI just for the CNG means that you are losing almost all safety features.

With estimated usage of close to 1500 kms you can very well choose diesel as well. But with de regulated fuel prices a petrol would do fine as well.

Each of these safety features are worth more than all the comfort features and CNG put together.

Choice is yours mate. Good luck and happy car hunting.
nibedk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 09:52   #2744
BHPian

I bought an Ertiga Zxi + in December. Though the plan was to get an Zxi, I was forced to go for the Zxi+ due to non availability of Zxi.

The additional features you get would be touch screen stereo, request sensor for keyless entry, start stop button, reverse camera.

For the touchscreen stereo and reverse camera you will get far better options in the open market. Only thing is make sure you get a number plate mounted one which gives a view of the bumper too.

Keyless entry entry is very convenient. But same can't be said about start stop button. If you reach a long signal in the key type system you can bring the ignition directly to position where the stereo will be on. But here you have to switch off the vehicle and then press the button twice to get your stereo switched on.

Another drawback is in the key system when you take the key out from its slot, the doors unlock automatically. Here you have to use the central locking button to manually unlock doors.

The Vxi missses in rear defogger, wiper, alloys etc but has dual airbags and ABS.

My advice would be to get the Zxi, go for a touchscreen stereo and reversing camera immediately. (That was my plan).

Later when warranty is over if you feel the need you can go for a sequential CNG kit.
Old 25th March 2016, 22:51   #2745

Finally got to test drive of Ertiga Facelift ZDI+ after 2 weeks of followup, for good 18-20kms on ORR from Banaswadi junction to Hebbal flyover and back. But the vehicle which was supposed to come at 11:30am, finally turned up at my house at 5pm .
Glad that the TD promise of today was still kept .

Along with the representative, we were 6 adults (including my 14 yr son weighing 70kgs), a 5yr old kid and one baby. Pretty loaded, right?

We all felt that there is less space in 3rd row in seating position for 2 people to sit comfortably (impossible for 3) and therefore decided to collapse it.

2 adults in front, 2 adults and a baby in middle row, 2 adults and one 5yr kid on 3rd row collapsed. Baby was exchanged with one adult in 3rd row in the middle of the test drive.

We all were comfortably seated. The last row especially with 3 people was not cramped. It had good enough space, including the headroom, for 2-3 people to sit (may be even four when circumstances demand). Note that there was no luggage with us. We just spread a thin bed over the collapsed last row seats.

The drive itself, I felt was much better than the old petrol Esteem that I have with me. AC was ON all the time. I did not feel the need to downshift from 3rd gear to 2nd gear most of the times, when the vehicle came to low speeds and then needed to speed up again. Downshifted to 2nd gear couple of times just to see how much pickup improves when revved up in 2nd gear. Need to rev up hard in 2nd gear if you want a quick acceleration. I did not find 1st gear helping its cause, does not accelerate in 1st gear :(. In 3rd gear till 4th gear, from a starting low speed of 20 or 30kmph till RPM reaches 2K, for the car to pickup speed, takes quite some time, and a person will need to have patience and still the best gears (3rd and 4th) to drive in city. However RPM of 2K onwards, the vehicle gets a major jump in acceleration. Did not get chance to drive in 5th gear for long time, only for short stretches, thanks to Bangalore traffic. Above 2K RPM and 5th gear, Ertiga is on roll and drives pretty fast, touching 80kmph from 50kmph very quickly.

Rode on the bumpy service road opposite to Manyata Tech Park and none of the passengers felt uneasy over the uneven service road. The bumps were absorbed quite efficiently by the vehicle.

The vehicle did not loose momentum while climbing the flyovers in 4th gear.
The pickup was quite good when driving on the flyover before Manyata, which was the one flyover where we were standstill most of the times while climbing and coming down, and did not feel like the vehicle was fully loaded. Vehicle was able to cruise effortlessly. But as I said, first gear does not help much. It is 2nd gear which helps you get the acceleration.

AC performance was quite good and was in 2nd blower position all the time. But it was evening time. So, I have requested another short test drive during noon time to check AC performance.

Overall satisfied with Ertiga's performance when fully loaded. I am sure it will be luxurious drive when we are only 3 or 4 people in it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks