Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2015, 21:36   #2581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishhm74 View Post
Update: My Ertiga repair work is finished and the replacement of broken crankshaft is done. I am unable to attach the pics of the broken parts.
Is it the crankshaft or the camshaft ?
Old 4th November 2015, 21:50   #2582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
Is it the crankshaft or the camshaft ?
It is the camshaft which was broken into 3 pieces.
Old 8th November 2015, 12:51   #2583
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Have anyone faced any issues regarding noises emanating from rear bake shoes ? Kind of a 'ghyazzz ghyazzz ghyazzz.. ' noise whenever the brake is depressed regardless of vehicle speed .
I sent my car for service and accompanied it about a week back. There was no sound before that. Rotation was done,front disc brake was cleaned and at 19,000+ kms the brake pads were found to be worn out,and hence were replaced stat. Also the rear drum and shoes were cleaned and lubed. My drive to Durgapur,about 180 odd kms was a day later.
No sound in the morning when I started but sound started after driving some kilometres. Then it intensified. No driving or braking issues though.
A day later it was again brought to the service centre and both rear wheels removed and entire drum and assembly checked and again well lubed.
The moment I drove out and started driving at 50 kms /hr + speeds and braked,the same sound was back from the rear left wheel. Previously also it was rear left wheel only.
My mechanic who is the best at that After Sales Service outlet had told me,'sir we have to change the shoes , if the noise remains'. 'This has happened in many Ertigas as well,and also replacing of various parts of brake and wheel have not rectified the noise' !!

Now,have any of you Ertiga owners faced this 'ghyazzz ghyazzz..' sound as you have braked ?
Just ordinary braking,not hard braking or something.
Also this wasn't there,but has only started after getting the car service,so what might be wrong ?
Lastly, does a 20,000+ kms run car need brake shoe replacement , or any replacement for that matter ? I saw and discussed regarding the rear shoes,and my mechanic whom I trust for last 10 years , told me that the brake shoes are ok for next 15,000 kms or more. So why should I changed it now ?

Last edited by ultimatechamp : 8th November 2015 at 12:54.
Old 9th November 2015, 11:38   #2584
BHPian

Took delivery of my Ertiga ZDi+ on Friday.
First impression
* The engine offers adequate power below turbo zone and it has good power available while in the turbo range. Turbo lag is noticeable and apart from the SHVS light coming on and off there is no real feeling of a supplementary motor working.
* My first keyless entry vehicle. Loving it and never thought it can be this useful.
Will write in detailed ownership report soon. Meanwhile will be happy to answer any specific questions you may have.
ViMo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 14:31   #2585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
Have anyone faced any issues regarding noises emanating from rear bake shoes ? Kind of a 'ghyazzz ghyazzz ghyazzz.. ' noise whenever the brake is depressed regardless of vehicle speed .
I sent my car for service and accompanied it about a week back. There was no sound before that. Rotation was done,front disc brake was cleaned and at 19,000+ kms the brake pads were found to be worn out,and hence were replaced stat. Also the rear drum and shoes were cleaned and lubed. My drive to Durgapur,about 180 odd kms was a day later.
No sound in the morning when I started but sound started after driving some kilometres. Then it intensified. No driving or braking issues though.
A day later it was again brought to the service centre and both rear wheels removed and entire drum and assembly checked and again well lubed.
The moment I drove out and started driving at 50 kms /hr + speeds and braked,the same sound was back from the rear left wheel. Previously also it was rear left wheel only.
My mechanic who is the best at that After Sales Service outlet had told me,'sir we have to change the shoes , if the noise remains'. 'This has happened in many Ertigas as well,and also replacing of various parts of brake and wheel have not rectified the noise' !!

Now,have any of you Ertiga owners faced this 'ghyazzz ghyazzz..' sound as you have braked ?
Also this wasn't there,but has only started after getting the car service,so what might be wrong ?
Lastly, does a 20,000+ kms run car need brake shoe replacement , or any replacement for that matter ? I saw and discussed regarding the rear shoes,and my mechanic whom I trust for last 10 years , told me that the brake shoes are ok for next 15,000 kms or more. So why should I changed it now ?
Appears to be a common problem in the earlier lot of Ertigas. I had the rear brake shoes changed for reasons similar to yours a few months earlier.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-ertigas.jpg  

Babuda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 14:38   #2586
BHPian

Quote:
I have never faced any such issues in my Ertiga (2012 December). Replaced the rear brake shoes at 94K when it started giving grinding noise
denver85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 20:20   #2587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViMo View Post
Took delivery of my Ertiga ZDi+ on Friday.
First impression
* The engine offers adequate power below turbo zone and it has good power available while in the turbo range. Turbo lag is noticeable and apart from the SHVS light coming on and off there is no real feeling of a supplementary motor working.
* My first keyless entry vehicle. Loving it and never thought it can be this useful.
Will write in detailed ownership report soon. Meanwhile will be happy to answer any specific questions you may have.
Many congratulations ViMo and you seem to be the first owner of Ertiga ZDi+ SHVS at least here on TBHP. I was looking forward to the same car to adorn my garage, but destiny had some different plans. It was the TUV3OO, which I settled for finally. How much did the ZD+ cost you on road? Did you get any freebies/ accessories along with the car?
Old 10th November 2015, 10:41   #2588
BHPian

Along with extended warranty and other basic kit it costed me 1170K on the road.
Highway characteristics are yet to be known, but from my small spin on the NICE road it seems Ertiga will be a comfortable cruiser on the planes. Eagerly waiting for the run-in period to complete to explore further.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-20151109211017.jpg  

ViMo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 08:18   #2589
BHPian

Folks,

It's time for renewing my Ertiga's insurance. I am finding that Maruti insurance quotes are quite competitive. For an IDV of 7,13,000/- I am getting a quote of around 18000/- for a Zero Dep cover.

With 50% NCB transferred from my old car, the quote is coming to 13777/-.

Does this sound reasonable? What has been the experience of other Ertiga ZDi owners? At this point, I am considering renewing the insurance with Maruti as it would give me peace of mind at the time of claims (if any). Any suggestions/thoughts on the price are very welcome!

Naut
Old 13th November 2015, 10:45   #2590
Senior - BHPian

Re: Question of Turbo charger not effective

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Update:
I think this may issue may be related to bad fuel. I filled a full tank diesel from a pump which i don't normally visit and now I realized the issue started observing after the fill. After my tank was half empty, i filled from a regular pump and the turbo started showing its power. I filled two more times ( ~2000 km over from the possibly bad fuel filling), the turbo kick is back to 75% of what I used to observe.

Now everytime I can feel turbo in second gear, most of the time in 3rd and 4th. But the vibrations just before the turbo spooling is still there( 60kmph @4th gear, 80kmph @5th gear).

I am not able to find a logical explanation on how this issue is connected to fuel yet; the pump in question is a large one in the outskirts of Bangalore.

The service advisor is unable to get a feel of the vibrations as no roads (with a smooth surface) within 10 km of the service station (Bimal whitefield) can give a smooth road where I can accelerate to turbo zone smoothly like we do in a 4 lane highway!!

The worn out look of the hose that I posted was due to lot of dust accumulation. I cleaned that with a small long stick.
I have been getting the same vibrations in my Swift Diesel now, accompanied by a resonating vibrating sound. The entire clutch needs a change as my situation started exactly how your's did and over the kilometers turned into what it is now, which is quite bad. I am planning o get all of this done in a months time when I will give my entire car a once over with anything that needs changing will be changed. It stands at 1 lakh 16 thousand kilometers now.
humyum is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 10:51   #2591
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Now everytime I can feel turbo in second gear, most of the time in 3rd and 4th. But the vibrations just before the turbo spooling is still there(60kmph @4th gear, 80kmph @5th gear).

I am not able to find a logical explanation on how this issue is connected to fuel yet; the pump in question is a large one in the outskirts of Bangalore.
Nothing much to worry, Humyum is correct. He and I have gone through these vibrations for long time. Same is the case with BHPian Potenza.

I have changed the following:

1) Clutch plate ;
2) Pressure plate and
3) Clutch release bearing.

All of the above would cost 6K and gear oil too in case it wasn't changed since long.

After these parts change, the vibrations vanished for the good. Now it is a smooth drive and it is almost 20K kms since the change.

There is a separate thread running on this vibrations issue and you can find it in my ownership thread too (Swift ZDi).

Here's the link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3717995

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I am planning o get all of this done in a months time

Last edited by a4anurag : 13th November 2015 at 10:57.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 12:58   #2592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Nothing much to worry, Humyum is correct. He and I have gone through these vibrations for long time. Same is the case with BHPian Potenza.

1) Clutch plate ;
2) Pressure plate and
What a coincidence I noticed the same noise from my Ritz today.

Apart from a new battery, I have to spend another 6K for the parts mentioned above, sigh!
Old 13th November 2015, 17:47   #2593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1) Clutch plate ;
2) Pressure plate and

All of the above would cost 6K and gear oil too in case it wasn't changed since long.

After these parts change, the vibrations vanished for the good. Now it is a smooth drive and it is almost 20K kms since the change.
As per the inputs from the director of Maruti Service Zone - Autoteam , it's not at all necessary to replace the clutch release bearings. You can save 3,000 INR by not replacing that.

Quote:
There is a separate thread running on this vibrations issue and you can find it in my ownership thread too (Swift ZDi).

Here's the link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3717995
I've updated the details and the logic on why the bearings shouldn't be replaced on the other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
What a coincidence I noticed the same noise from my Ritz today.

Apart from a new battery, I have to spend another 6K for the parts mentioned above, sigh!
You can save 3000 INR by not replacing the bearing and still fixing this problem.

Last edited by amalji : 13th November 2015 at 18:06.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2015, 21:06   #2594
BHPian

Quote:
My brake pad was replaced at 20000kms. I am also not sure whether that was required. This replacement added 3k to my 20k service totally to Rs. 14k.

And about the ghyazz sound, I too experienced this sound from rear brake pads on light braking on my last trip to Coorg from Bangalore. However I did not worry much since she is due for service.

My ertiga is at 30k and heading for service tomorrow at Pratham Bangalore. I will check the above with SA tomorrow and have the following concerns to address :-
1) right power window glass trembling while going up
2) front suspension is making a huge huge tuk tuk sound. looks like lower arm sound (typical maruti)
3) 1st and 2nd gear are slightly hard to slot
4) rattling on the rise!!!

However now to bring smile, my Bangalore city mileage (75% ac on) is around 17 kmpl and the REASON - I started changing gears at 1500rm earlier I used to get only 15.5.

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 15th November 2015 at 21:08.
Old 17th November 2015, 23:17   #2595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
My brake pad was replaced at 20000kms. I am also not sure whether that was required. This replacement added 3k to my 20k service totally to Rs. 14k.

And about the ghyazz sound, I too experienced this sound from rear brake pads on light braking on my last trip to Coorg from Bangalore. However I did not worry much since she is due for service.

My ertiga is at 30k and heading for service tomorrow at Pratham Bangalore. I will check the above with SA tomorrow and have the following concerns to address :-
1) right power window glass trembling while going up
2) front suspension is making a huge huge tuk tuk sound. looks like lower arm sound (typical maruti)
3) 1st and 2nd gear are slightly hard to slot
4) rattling on the rise!!!

However now to bring smile, my Bangalore city mileage (75% ac on) is around 17 kmpl and the REASON - I started changing gears at 1500rm earlier I used to get only 15.5.
My 20k service charge was limited to Rs 8500.I changed a wiper blade too. I am not convinced that my brake shoes need to be changed,but surprisingly,after a 1000 kms+ road trip from 4rth to 7th November,2015,it seems the 'ghyazz ghyazz..' sound has diminished as well !

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver85 View Post
I have never faced any such issues in my Ertiga (2012 December). Replaced the rear brake shoes at 94K when it started giving grinding noise
You are lucky I guess denver85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babuda View Post
Appears to be a common problem in the earlier lot of Ertigas..
Exactly.My mechanic at Maruti After Sales service said the same thing. He said he has seen quite a number of Ertigas and Dzires coming back after 15-20k kms with rear brake shoe problem,recurrent grating noise persisting even after changing nearly everything related to rear drum brakes,and worried customers. But Maruti mechanics haven't been able to solve the problem

Most Viewed