Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2019, 18:29   #6001
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by agt7 View Post
Yes, this is what the service guy told me today morning i.e. leakage from brake cylinder. He also reported that brake liners have come off completely.
Thanks
This Brake liner failure is a known issue in few of the cars, its been reported by few owners. It seems to be an issue with the quality of rivetting of the pads with the liners in the reported cars. The pad comes off from the liner and the pad is still intact and no issue with pad wear off too.
Old 26th August 2019, 20:17   #6002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
In that case the brake on the other side could also fail, have they checked it?

What they might be trying to do is blame the whole thing on a wear and tear prone part (brake shoe) so that they have no liability for repair under warranty.
Yes, both the brakes had failed actually and they replaced the entire brake set of both rear wheels. As rightly pointed out by you, they termed it as a wear and tear incident not covered under warranty.

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
This Brake liner failure is a known issue in few of the cars, its been reported by few owners. It seems to be an issue with the quality of rivetting of the pads with the liners in the reported cars. The pad comes off from the liner and the pad is still intact and no issue with pad wear off too.
Yes, the same had happened in my case. The pads were in pretty good condition but had come off completely from the liners. Quality certainly seems to be an issue here. Although the brake assembly/liners and cylinder were BOSCH made. What to say...

Sorry for a late reply. Thanks

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th September 2019 at 09:24. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 6th September 2019, 09:16   #6003
BHPian

So finally hit 200k km in my April 2015 duster 85 Rxl in approximately 4 years and 4 months. The ownership has been phenomenal to say the least. The duster is one amazing work horse, it has not left me stranded even once, touchwood and with almost zero downtime.
Doing consistently 3.8k kms every month is no small order!

Crossed over my first 200k kms in any vehicle, previously I had run my aunt's m800 for 85k kms, then a santro xing for 115k kms, then swift dzire vxi for 120k kms(this car is still in family run by dad and occasionally me chugging nicely at 140k kms) and then this duster.

Looking for a new car for highway duties and makes ne wonder if any other car can take the use, the abuse, with low maintenance costs, decent fuel efficiency and above all absolute reliability that the duster has been( not selling the duster, just replacing the swift dzire)

Completed the 200k with a one day 600km odd trip to mysore, returned pretty good fuel economy too, maintained a steady below ton speed for it
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-20190905_225608.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-20190905_225624.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-20190905_225547.jpg  

Last edited by mh09ad5578 : 6th September 2019 at 09:17. Reason: Added stuff
mh09ad5578 is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 09:55   #6004
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh09ad5578 View Post
Crossed over my first 200k kms in any vehicle, previously I had run my aunt's m800 for 85k kms, then a santro xing for 115k kms, then swift dzire vxi for 120k kms(this car is still in family run by dad and occasionally me chugging nicely at 140k kms) and then this duster.
Remarkable numbers from each of those cars mate. Congratulations for the 200k Duster & for the previous numbers too. You've been really a mile muncher & I envy that! The Duster really is one superb vehicle that just keeps going. Its a shame that this K9K engine never got its dues in the era of the 1.3MJD sadly. The superb engine never got mated to a good enough car except the Duster. And it will vanish from the showrooms come April2020 sadly. Really disappointed about that. Wish you many more miles ahead mate!

As for the next car - well given your needs for a DZire replacement, the first car that comes to my mind is the Ford EcoSport TDCi. Takes all that our roads have to throw without complaints, has comparable rear bench space like previous gen DZire, good load of safety kit & much larger storage space compared to the DZire. Very easy to drive around too. If you want to stick to the S badge while replacing the current car - I'd suggest you quickly snap the S-CROSS DDiS. Its a gem of a car with superb package of comfort and goodies. Has been known to munch miles. Excellent offers going on it right now. Do check.
Reinhard is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 20:28   #6005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Remarkable numbers from each of those cars mate.
well given your needs for a DZire replacement, the first car that comes to my mind is the Ford EcoSport TDCi.
thanks for the kind words, the running is an occupational hazard.

Actually the Duster will switch duty with Dad and wify and do mostly local running and occasional backup duties once the new car comes in. Hence was looking for a comparable sized SUV with good space for 5 and large boot(my family packs king size) to do long runs with the family of about 1200 kms once a month. Hence ruled out all the compact SUVs. Had liked the Nexon but ruled it out only due to boot space.

The cars being considered are Diesel under 12.5 lakhs on the road here in Karnataka being Seltos 1.5 HTE, Creta 1.4, Nissan Kicks and Facelifted Duster in that order.

Sorry no Maruti for us. The Duster was brought in because of a spree of 4 different accidents in near family and acquaintances in swift/dzire's and the resulting harm and mortality witnessed as a safer alternative to it.(Realized later the low scores of the Duster in NCAP) .
Old 7th September 2019, 12:50   #6006
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Completed the 200k
Wow! That is some intense and consistent driving. Congratulations.

Two days ago I sat in the Harrier, Seltos and Hector (even drove it).

Seltos has lesser space than the Duster at the back. It also looks smaller on the inside. Rear legroom is good. The car feels immensely more premium in comparison.

Harrier looked like an upgrade in terms of interior space both length and width-wise. It can seat 5 in as much or a bit more comfort as the Duster. Rear seat is a bit higher and offers better frontal visibility than the Duster. Backed by a poor warranty scheme only up to 3 years.

The Hector surprised me by its package. The ride was mature, legroom was abundant, more than the Harrier. Excellent package with loads of features which make it a sensible VFM upgrade. I drove the Hybrid Petrol which felt quite adequate for the Vehicle. Boot space is compromised. Regenerative braking makes the brakes more effective and lends them a distinct bite point. NHV was amazing compared to the Duster. 5 years unlimited km warranty on offer.

Had planned to see the new Duster too. Backed out since the three cars mentioned above are quite far ahead in terms of refinement, passenger space management and premium-ness.
Tgo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 13:17   #6007
BHPian

Quote:
So finally hit 200k km in my April 2015 duster 85 Rxl in approximately 4 years and 4 months. The ownership has been phenomenal to say the least. The duster is one amazing work horse, it has not left me stranded even once, touchwood and with almost zero downtime. Doing consistently 3.8k kms every month is no small order!
Whoa! Congrats on 200K, that's a big milestone

I am terribly jealous of that fuel efficiency you get. My petrol cvt duster barealy makes 10kmpl on good days. Nevertheless its an absolute work horse one can rely on upon anytime.

I am not sure if you can wait for another year or so, but the updated Duster should arrive by end of next year. Doubt if any other SUV can match the ruggedness of Duster below 15Lacs price tag. However XUV500, TUV300 can be a good match in that order.
ndp88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 19:47   #6008
BHPian

Quote:
Two days ago I sat in the Harrier, Seltos and Hector (even drove it).
I've test driven the harrier and hector too, harrier feels like a proper luxury car, rides great. But I found it too huge to maneuver.

Hector is good too, loved the flat rear floor but thought it was too narrow, strictly a four seater, also overall too blingy.

Will check the seltos and kicks next week when visiting Bangalore.

Due to to my high running have ruled out both harrier and hector as I know my budget will jump 50 percent and also running costs due to lower fuel efficiency and higher maintenance cost.

My logic is at end of 5 years ( assuming another 200k km run) let me make a 12 lakhs car worth 5 lakhs than a 18 lakh car worth 5 lakhs
mh09ad5578 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2019, 21:58   #6009
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My logic is at end of 5 years ( assuming another 200k km run) let me make a 12 lakhs car worth 5 lakhs than a 18 lakh car worth 5 lakhs
Love your logic.

Since you love driving I think the Ecosport would fit the bill perfectly.

Let us know what you move on to.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2019, 22:00   #6010
BHPian

Had a very very expensive 60 K service. Total bill came to ~37k. Apart from the regular service which included replacing all oils, filters and accessory belt, Front disks and pads and rear brake cylinders were also replaced.

SA also wanted to change one of the injectors (it's leaking as per him and costs 27k) however, I refused as I could not find any FE drop, change in engine sound or power.

Any suggestions for a good FNG at Ernakulam? I would like to get the injectors checked and probably move out of Renault A.S.S in future.
DieselLover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 14:54   #6011
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
Had a very very expensive 60 K service. ... rear brake cylinders were also replaced.
Could you share the invoice here for the cost of rear brake cylinders and part numbers?
Old 19th October 2019, 14:25   #6012
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Have been having a peculiar problem with my 2012 110PS 2WD Duster.

It was sent for the 170k scheduled service. Two days before sending it to the ASC the engine had erratic acceleration. The check engine light and ignition system fault light showed up along with the issue. On starting-up, it would take longer than usual (battery replaced last year not suspecting it).

It has been a week and the car is at the service center. They said that quite a lot of diagnostics has been carried out on the car and they had traced it to a faulty flywheel. Which was replaced with a new one for trial. The issue went away in the trial. (We voluntarily went in for a clutch replacement owing to the high mileage on the original clutch since the bell housing had been opened anyway).

In a final test drive before billing, with the new flywheel and clutch etc., the issue came up again.

The symptoms and fault codes are of ECM (Engine Control Module) not getting correct crank angle position readings and as a result it messes up the cylinder firing. But the problem is that the issue is cropping up randomly. Its not continuously there. They have checked all the wiring, swapped all related sensors with known to be good ones, swapped the ECM etc.

Snip from an old service manual for Diesel injection System of K9K engines.
Renault Duster : Official Review-sensor.jpg

Has anyone faced something like this before? Any leads?
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 01:25   #6013
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

We’ve taken back the car for some more driving to determine what driving conditions trigger the engine fault.

Current status is described here:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4680946 (ECM changed, now what?)

Anyone with info on ECU tuning / coding please help or suggest something.

I have 3-4 days to take a call on the new ECM.
Old 26th October 2019, 13:35   #6014
BHPian

Hi,

I want to exchange my 2016 Duster OEM Alloys (Running on RXZ AMT - 3.5 years old, excellent condition), pls message me if anyone is interested to swap your after-market Alloys. I am ok to pay on top of exchange depending on Alloys condition (with or without tires).
Old 26th October 2019, 23:27   #6015
BHPian

Quote:
I have 3-4 days to take a call on the new ECM.
What about the alternator and the power supply condition, i am suspecting a power supply issue from the alternator and the ecu.
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks