Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2013, 15:34   #2701

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

3 Questions to my buddy TBHPians:
1) Did anyone find the K&N Filter for the Duster yet?
2) How much did it cost?
3) Can we use any that fits Mahindra Logan/Pulse etc...with same 1.5 Diesel DCi engine?
Old 12th July 2013, 17:04   #2702
Senior - BHPian

Thye duster doesnt even have a 4x4 then why does one need an Ironman suspension upgrade kit in India ?

As for K & N filters, if there is a model that fits inside the Filter box its fine to use. If a Pre charger kit is available for it even better. It is also useful to keep a K & N filter cleaning kit.
Old 12th July 2013, 17:14   #2703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyengineer View Post
I took a TD of Duster today. All my dream wrt this car came crushing down to earth.

- I had requested the TD of 85PS but the guy came with 110PS model (From Andheri Showroom).

- The vehicle wasnt registered and was carrying a TC plate.

- The odo was at 16000+ when asked about he said they dont register the vehicle later they sell the vehicle and get good price as the vehicle gets registered for first owner.

- The masking on the gear lever well was missing. When asked he said sir nikal gaya hai.

- The front driver door lock was missing. When asked he said sir toot gaya hai.

- The vehicle was totally shabby and the inside cabin looked to me like a real deal breaker.

- The clutch was so hard that when I asked him about that he said sir vehicle is due for servicing. Dont know how these two are related.

- The car wasnt pulling even over 3500+ rpm. Mind you this was a 110PS.

I just spent 15 mins with the vehicle and concluded saying if you can bring 85PS do let me know. He said will check and let me know.

Looking at the interiors I felt my Santro cabin looks better. God knows who sends such vehicles for TD. This was mainly because it wasnt maintained well I guess.

I am now seriously rethinking my decision even to take this deal further.

Owners please help me to decide on buying.

Thanks
geekyengineer.

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.
Looking at the conditions of some of these vehicles across dealerships ( all brands ) it is not a good idea to attempt to buy a test drive discounted vehicle at all. They are very badly driven, often abused, not so much by the intended customer but more by the dealership staff themselves.

Short term ownership reports of these supposidly discounted vehicles have more often than out turned out to be absolutely woeful.
Old 12th July 2013, 18:00   #2704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdman View Post
Thanks I am looking for a rubber boot mat. But the dealerships do not have any. Can you post a photo of what the Verna mat looks like inside the Duster?
You can see the farthest end fits snug with the boot line; the both sides flaps curl over the wheel arches. Based on last few months use, the mat appears to be custom-made No it does not go out of place and did not feel the need to fix a Velcro even. I don't know if Verna and Accent boot sizes are identical; this one I re-used from my Verna. Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-boot_mat1.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-boot_mat2.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-boot_mat3.jpg  

Waxeloquent is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 21:03   #2705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Looking at the conditions of some of these vehicles across dealerships ( all brands ) it is not a good idea to attempt to buy a test drive discounted vehicle at all. They are very badly driven, often abused, not so much by the intended customer but more by the dealership staff themselves.

Short term ownership reports of these supposidly discounted vehicles have more often than out turned out to be absolutely woeful.
I am not buying this vehicle. I am intending to buy a fresh new vehicle. But I guess it is not too hard for them to turn the ODO back to zero and re-register to sell it to a noob.

Anyways Duster is out of my list already.
Old 17th July 2013, 09:43   #2706
BHPian

I want to change the original horn of my Duster (way too less sound for Indian conditions). The ASS is refusing to change it saying that they cannot replace original equipment but I did not ask for replacement I asked for additional horn and even then they disagreed to do it also

My question to fellow members is whether the warranty gets affected, if I get an additional horn fitted from an external place ? I saw in the threads that some of the members have added extra horns, what is their view and experience in this regard.
Old 17th July 2013, 09:49   #2707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurha View Post
Can you please share the place from where did you it?
Hi , I got it from Jai Auto in Karol Bagh, Delhi
Old 17th July 2013, 11:53   #2708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabash View Post
My question to fellow members is whether the warranty gets affected, if I get an additional horn fitted from an external place ? I saw in the threads that some of the members have added extra horns, what is their view and experience in this regard.
You can easily get an aftermarket horn fitted that will suit your needs. A Hella, for example. Either you can purchase it online and fix it yourself, or you can visit a car accessories shop and buy it who'll fix it for you.
As long as the horn is the same colour as the original and doesn't have too much bling, I don't think anyone is going to notice.

Or else you could replace the horn back to OE whenever you take the car for service.

Last edited by EagleEye : 17th July 2013 at 11:58.
EagleEye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 14:42   #2709
BHPian

Expensive labor

Hi Folks,

A friend of mine rear-ended a sumo in peak hour traffic, and had the headlamps, grills misaligned apart from ~3 inch dents in the hood and bumper.

His Duster was given for service and received the following quote for repair :
1 R/R FRONT BUMPER - 550.00
2 R/R HEAD LAMPS - 200.00
3 R/R RADIATOR GRILL - 150.00
4 R/R HOOD - 550.00
5 TINKERING HOOD - 1200.00
6 PAINTING FRONT BUMPER - 3780.00
7 PAINTING HOOD - 5355.00
TOTAL PROVISIONAL LABOUR - 11785.00
SERVICE TAX @ 12.36% - 1457.00
TOTAL LABOUR - 13242.00
TOTAL PARTS - 53329.00
TOTAL - 66571.00

This looks like daylight robbery and I would like to hear from You guys on how to proceed further. I don't have the price breakup for the parts, though.

Help please.

Thanks,
Rocky.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 17th July 2013 at 14:44.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 12:37   #2710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
On paper at least, 235/60 R16 for Duster is available from both Michelin and Bridgestone.
In michelin it is Latitude tour HP http://www.michelin.in/tyre/viewall/188 and in bridgestone it is dueler D687.
http://www.bridgestone.co.in/SelectT...atio=60&dia=16

However rim width for Duster is 6.5J whereas recommended rim width for 235/60 R16 is 7J. So, a wheel disc upgrade is also needed.
I have already upsized my alloys to 7J and using the OE MRFs. Iam wearing down the Kms before I can upsize to 235/60.
What happened to your tyre upgrad, Neil? I got stuck well and good in wet mud with the stock MRF and had to be towed out. I'm also looking to change the tyres to something better.
What is your take on the Michelin LTX A/T2 ?

Your feed back will be very useful......thanks

Regards,

Rajesh
Old 18th July 2013, 13:09   #2711
Senior - BHPian

Re: Expensive labor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Hi Folks,

A friend of mine rear-ended a sumo in peak hour traffic, and had the headlamps, grills misaligned apart from ~3 inch dents in the hood and bumper. TOTAL - 66571.00

This looks like daylight robbery and I would like to hear from You guys on how to proceed further. I don't have the price breakup for the parts, though.
Rocky.
Seems pretty steep one of the downsides of owning a European brand. How much is the insurance picking up ?
Old 18th July 2013, 13:11   #2712
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
However rim width for Duster is 6.5J whereas recommended rim width for 235/60 R16 is 7J. So, a wheel disc upgrade is also needed.
You could have used the wider tyres on the stock rims.
A tyre has a range of rim sizes that it can be used on. One of the sites I can think of that gives this detail is Yokohama - check the tyres for application/ by car type, and it will give you the information about which tyres can be used for which size rim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcrawler View Post
I got stuck well and good in wet mud with the stock MRF and had to be towed out. I'm also looking to change the tyres to something better.
I dont think Changing tyres will help you in such a situation.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 13:17   #2713
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Seems pretty steep one of the downsides of owning a European brand.
Though part of the rate may be due to the 'European brand' thing. Usually repair / maintenance of European brands are due to higher cost of spare parts. Here I feel the labour charge for this repair is way too high (13K).

Most of the parts seems repaired (Hood, bumper painted) then what was the parts replaced for Rs:53329 ?
Old 18th July 2013, 13:24   #2714
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Most of the parts seems repaired (Hood, bumper painted) then what was the parts replaced for Rs:53329 ?
The Head Lamp Cluster may be a costly affair if you have to change the whole thing. That too its a double barrel head lamp.
And the chrome grill may be another thing.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 13:26   #2715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
You could have used the wider tyres on the stock rims.
I dont think Changing tyres will help you in such a situation.
Thanks condor, I know that changing of the tyre itself may not be of much help but you should have seen the grooves on my tyres. They were completely filled with wet mud and it appeared more like a tyre with a completely worn tread. I was thinking if I could find a tyre with the treads like the Bridgestone Dueller D689 might be a tad more grippy

Most Viewed