Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2013, 17:59   #256
BHPian

Re: Honda Brio (Automatic) : Official Review

I fail to understand what exactly folks at Honda are doing these days. They have a production capacity of around 1lac vehicles/annum.

No Jazz, Civic or Accord. CRV sales is barely moving. Even City is not flying off the shelves and with Brio long waiting periods.

Are they so amazed with Amaze that everything else is on standby ? Maruti/Hyundai has double the no. of models in their portfolio and they are still not giving astronomical waiting periods. What's wrong with Honda?

I got my Brio s(O) MT in a week flat, eventually it should get better. I don't think Brio has been any astounding hit which can cause gap between supply an demand nevertheless being a very nice car to drive.
Not sure of whether they are high or low on confidence.

Last edited by Shiv_1984 : 15th April 2013 at 18:01.
Old 25th April 2013, 23:27   #257
BHPian

Got a call from Meerut Honda dealer that they got 2 AT Brio for customers and if i want, i can have a test drive of it. Brio AT is available after 15-20 days of booking as per the sales officer. Will plan a visit soon for test drive.

Last edited by superbhikari : 25th April 2013 at 23:31.
Old 26th April 2013, 03:16   #258
Senior - BHPian

How is that possible? We are still waiting to hear for an allocation for the Brio AT that we have booked. What are the waiting periods elsewhere? Is my dealer taking me for a ride?
Old 30th April 2013, 18:34   #259
BHPian

My thoughts exactly !! My sales guy has promised delivery by July mid for a V-AT. Reading the above posts wondering why the huge delay with no Civic, Jazz and slow sales of Accord & CR-V resulting in sudden desire towards the new VW Polo GT!!
Old 30th April 2013, 18:42   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnishanth View Post
the SA there was mentioning that Honda is planning to introduce automatic in the lower end variant E or EX. Anyone has any idea as to how far is this true?
When I booked The Brio AT, I asked for the S(O) AT model since it only lacked the alloys, an extra horn, fog lamps, and silver garnish on the vents. The price difference was about Rs.28,000.

Figured I could get all this and even better alloys and still save around 7k. But the sales guy said its just in the brochure and Honda is not making this variant. Didn't believe him but if its true guess there is no E or EX variant coming anytime soon!!
Old 3rd May 2013, 08:07   #261
Senior - BHPian

One quick question gentlemen - Does the Amaze/Brio AT have any sort of Hill Hold function? I didn't pick that in the review and still waiting for a TD.
Old 3rd May 2013, 09:56   #262
BANNED

@microaubin; The salesman is correct. Now only the V remains for the AT. There may be a higher minor variant coming.

@roy_libran; At this price point I will not expect it, but then a AT is derived (originally) from the Civic which has it.

Last edited by sgiitk : 3rd May 2013 at 09:59.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2013, 12:21   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@microaubin; The salesman is correct. Now only the V remains for the AT. There may be a higher minor variant coming.

@roy_libran; At this price point I will not expect it, but then a AT is derived (originally) from the Civic which has it.
Thanks Sir. So how does a new driver prevent the car from rolling back on a gradient? I'm considering this for my wife.
Old 3rd May 2013, 12:32   #264
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Thanks Sir. So how does a new driver prevent the car from rolling back on a gradient? I'm considering this for my wife.
Use the brake (hand and/or foot - depends)! I had Santro and before that Zen ATs and my wife managed pretty well. So no real issues, but then Kanpur is flat!!
Old 3rd May 2013, 14:42   #265
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Using the Brake.

Actually in some vehicles if one brakes on a slope the slight +ve acc in forward direction compensates for the pull to roll down the slope and the vehicle stays where it is roughly. Am referring to cars without Hill Hold Function. (This though is not the recommended way of handling a stop on a slope. We are expected to use the brakes - foot or hand. If hand then just give the acc a slight rev while releasing the hand bake a spilt second later.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2013, 21:31   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Use the brake (hand and/or foot - depends)! I had Santro and before that Zen ATs and my wife managed pretty well. So no real issues, but then Kanpur is flat!!
Yes Sir. Kanpur is flat but that is the least of its problems. It's roads are epic.
I'm also from Kanpur btw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

Using the Brake.

Actually in some vehicles if one brakes on a slope the slight +ve acc in forward direction compensates for the pull to roll down the slope and the vehicle stays where it is roughly. Am referring to cars without Hill Hold Function. (This though is not the recommended way of handling a stop on a slope. We are expected to use the brakes - foot or hand. If hand then just give the acc a slight rev while releasing the hand bake a spilt second later.
Thanks for this tip. I'll need to try this out myself. I also agree that using the brakes are better but given that my wife will be driving I wanted to know if there is some backup in case she forgets!
Thing is that I never ever looked at this type of cars and especially automatics (save some brief experiences abroad) and was always into trucks. Now I'm forced to spend on something like this for my wife. :(
Old 4th May 2013, 21:37   #267
Senior - BHPian

I test drove both Brio and Amaze today. The car does not roll back due to the positive action. Thanks ACM.
The BRIO-V is 7.03 on road and the Amaze-S is 7.64. I'll probably pick the Amaze for the utility of the boot.
Just need to TD the VW Polo GT before plonking my money.
Old 6th May 2013, 11:18   #268
BHPian

Quote:
May main issue is with the agricultural, ancient 3+1 AT box. I have lived it in my Santro for 7+years. I was shocked to see Maruti offering not a proper 4-speed as in the AStar but another 3+1 in the Dzire eCS AT. Also the habit of Hyundai dealerships to cheat with additional charges.

I also find the rear wiper handy on my Santro. With an all glass rear hatch I can understand that it is not possible on in the Brio.
Sorry, I know its a little too late in the day for this quote but i thought it might be helpful to some.

The Santro AT and the I10 AT are both 4 speed automatics and not 3+1 as its being put. Also they are NOT the same gearbox.

Surprisingly the Santro AT and the Maruti A-Star AT are the exact same gearbox.
Both Hyundai and Maruti source the gearbox from Jatco, the gearbox model being JF405E. Jatco also supplies AT boxes to Mazda ,Nissan, Chevrolet ,Renault and others.

Hyundai, when it launched the Atos (Santro as we know) in the late 90s probably dint have their own gearbox for a car that size. So they just like the other manufacturers sourced it from Jatco.

On the other hand the I10 AT box, model being 4F12, is a newer generation 4 speed gearbox developed by Hyundai Powertech (which is Hyundai's own gearbox R&D and manufacturing company).

Please feel free to let me know if u guys think i am missing something, as my research was very brief to help me decide between the Brio AT and the I10 AT.

I eventually bought the I10 sportz AT as the waiting period was just too much.
abhijitnallani is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 12:49   #269
BHPian

I thought i ll share my experience between the Brio AT and the hyundai I10. Before i bought the I10 i test drove both the automatics in the month of Jan.

I must add that i immediately felt at home when i test drove the Brio AT. The ergonomics are spot on, the steering felt great. Overall the car felt like a much smaller version of the Honda City AT with all the harshness associated with the Brio, off course minus the boot. The NVH of the car is pathetic. U can actually feel the engine sound at idle.
The extra gear definitely helped the engine keep lower rpms. The Steering is very precise just the City .The ride though was quite harsh and bouncy.

The thing that was a put off was the fact that the Brio feels extremely poor in terms of equipment for a car that's almost Rs.7.30 lacs in mumbai. The rear design and the boot space is quite horrible ,but thats just my opinion.

I was ready to overlook some of the earlier points if the car had no waiting period. The real deal-breaker was the extremely long waiting period, absolutely arrogant dealership ( they were actually trying to convince me to buy a second City AT ). They were not offering any discounts what so ever. So for a car thats 7.30lacs on road it was absolutely no value for money. Also this one thing that really put me off was the the Gear Shift is not illuminated. Man how much cost cutting for some led bulbs that cost less than 100 rupees.

Now for the Hyundai I10 AT. I test drove the AT I10 and immediately i felt that the steering is not as precise as the honda. Its very light and easy but dint have the feeling like in the brio. The seat height position is a lot better than in a brio. Getting in and out of the car was a breeze because of the tall boy nature.The NVH is a lot better than in the brio. Overall at speeds below 70kmph i10 feels plusher than the brio.

The I10 absorbs bumps and cracks and potholes much much better. There is a bit of vertical bumpy motion while driving fast of concrete roads. The brio also had the same vertical bumpy motion. The i10 kappa 2 engine is a gem. Its quite silent and sometimes its hard to hear the engine at idle.The AT gearbox is a 4 speed. Its not like the 5 speed brio, but it makes up by downshifting at lower rpms. The Shifts are very smooth just like the Honda. You are in overdrive (4th gear) at 40kmph with the engine running at 1100 to 1400 rpm. The 4th Gear is quite tall as it should take the i10 all the way to its top speed.

The I10 Sportz comes quite loaded. For starters the dashboard feels like a dashboard and not something that came out of a truck.The Gear Shift is Illuminated. It has a cd player which a brio doesn't.
The boot door has a defogger and a viper, the boot space is illuminated as well besides the fact that the boot is also bigger than the brio. There are two 12 volt charging ports,one in the front and one for the rear.
The Brio has airbags and ABS standard on the AT. But since the I10 was to be driven in the city, it along with the other cons of the brio just dint justify the price and off course the long waiting period.

The I10 Spotz AT was readily available. and i was quite happy with the discounts i got, on road price came to just under 5.75 lacs with almost 40k discount. thats almost a lac and half cheaper than the brio.

Its been a month and a half since i bought the i10 and i dont regret the decision at all. On some research i found that Hyundai India offers upto a 5 year warranty on the i10 AT for some 12-13k but i need to reconfirm that.
Old 7th May 2013, 10:43   #270

After 4-5 months of thinking about it, finally booked the S(O) AT on April 1. No discounts. Dealer salesmen warned that it will be at least one month, possibly two months. The lack of discounts and waiting had almost made me consider buying a brio stickshift, but a quick thought to my gruelling drive to office (22 km over 1.5 hrs) brought me back to the AT.

Another Honda dealer had said 3 months minimum. Went with the previous guy (i trust him, bought my City from him earlier, and experience has been good, and he's 5 mins from where I live, including workshop)

Dealer confirms car will be dispatched from Noida this week and be with me next week :-) However - there is no sign of S(O) anymore. He's been telling me that the VX (a more enhanced version of the V) is on the cards for the last month, and now he finally confirms it. As per him, only the VX is now available, the V and the S(O) are gone, at least temporarily. The VX is like the V, but with height adjustment for drivers seat and rear defogger.

I'm quite OK with that. The timelines were as promised to me, and the two new features are extremely useful as my driver, husband and I are completely different heights. On road price is a bit higher now - 7.41L (Mumbai).

On the Brio vs. i10 debate, even though I found the handling on the test Brio AT to be superb, I was quite willing to buy the i10 sportz since it was so much cheaper and a tried and tested AT model being used by many colleagues, and was available much sooner UNTIL I found out why it was cheaper. No airbags and no ABS! Thats not acceptable to me, so ended up booking the S(O). Now of course, I'll end up paying some more money for the VX, but I guess the two new features are worth it (I dont care about allow wheels and all that)

So I agree the price is steep, but as with all things - you have to prioritize whats important to you as an individual, out of the limited choices available. I'm just glad that I'm finally going to get the car now - I will update here once I do.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks