Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2012, 15:20   #166
BANNED

Re: Honda Brio (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
Will put up a review soon with pics. Finally got the rear parcel tray and mats for free. As per him, there are no freebies on AT's from Honda since everyone wants to cash in the Diwali fever.
I think the rear parcel tray is part of the S(o) and V versions. Badly missing the Dead Pedal. No place to rest my foot. Even my lowly 2005 Santro has it!

One small observation - the transmission seems to have a bit of a cold spot.
Old 2nd November 2012, 17:01   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
4. Engine cover with Brio AT on it ( still do not know how the MT and AT engines differ unless the gearbox mounts are different which is very unlikely)
The engine mounts are indeed different. Have a look at the official review of the Brio AT and there is a pic specifically showing the engine mounts for the AT, with an AT branding on them.
kmadhok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2012, 00:15   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
I think the rear parcel tray is part of the S(o) and V versions. Badly missing the Dead Pedal. No place to rest my foot. Even my lowly 2005 Santro has it!

One small observation - the transmission seems to have a bit of a cold spot.
What is the cold spot sir, I am sorry I could not understand. I am very much interested in buying the Brio AT and am waiting for this Diwali to be over , hence some offers from thee dealer.
Old 4th November 2012, 11:18   #169
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajanvr View Post
What is the cold spot sir, I am sorry I could not understand.
Essentially the same as a flat spot. After you press the pedal sometimes it seems to wait for a moment.

As for discounts, seems Honda are selling well. I went to the dealer to collect my Registration receipt and plates (HSRP is still a bit off in UP). It was a Saturday and surprisingly there was a lot of frenetic activity about cars being readied for delivery. I asked - 13 cars delivered that day! From Accord to Brio.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 08:14   #170
BHPian

Test drove the Brio AT yesterday, with some really enthusiastic driving by simply flooring the pedal, in D mode, the engine simply revs with no power to the wheels and then shifts...
Old 5th November 2012, 09:14   #171
BANNED

Quote:
Test drove the Brio AT yesterday, with some really enthusiastic driving by simply flooring the pedal, in D mode, the engine simply revs with no power to the wheels and then shifts...
Normal behaviour of almost all ATs. To get the best press hard but not too hard.

According to Renuka (of ACI) transmission becomes much sharper in D3 - have not tried it yet.
Old 5th November 2012, 09:25   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Enthusiastic driving in an AT is NOT flooring the pedal. ATs do not work like Manuals. Gears will automatically change beyond a certain RPM and you will not see constant power surges as in Manuals as rpm will fall.

You need to turn to S mode if you want to hold gears longer. In some ATs that are equipped with manual overrides like Triptronic or paddle shifters etc you can use them to hold on to gear of your choice. Still you will not be able to redline.
Old 5th November 2012, 09:35   #173
BHPian

Totally agree, that's why I never love AT, manual is best, I am planning to buy this Car, so life becomes a little easy for me in the city. Moreover my wife can also drive a little.

Is there any technical difference between the GB of the ATs today, I mean between the A Star, i10 and Brio, apart from additional gear, are all Torque converters or are any of these CVT.

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread.

Last edited by .anshuman : 5th November 2012 at 11:20. Reason: See note in post
Old 5th November 2012, 09:45   #174
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
You need to turn to S mode if you want to hold gears longer. In some ATs that are equipped with manual overrides like Triptronic or paddle shifters etc you can use them to hold on to gear of your choice. Still you will not be able to redline.
I am afraid thr S mode is not there in the Brio AT. There are D3, 2 and 1. If you do not want to shift manually just go down to D3. One consequence is that you do not any direct access to 4 & 5. In any case I doubt whether 4 and 5 will activate in normal City driving. So the D3 makes it a slick 3-speed AT, with some engine braking!
Old 5th November 2012, 10:50   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Instead of flooring and holding the pedal there, if you go on depressing the pedal incrementally, it should hold to the gear you are in rather shifting up.

Last edited by Guna : 5th November 2012 at 10:53.
Old 5th November 2012, 11:52   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Totally agree, that's why I never love AT, manual is best, I am planning to buy this Car, so life becomes a little easy for me in the city. Moreover my wife can also drive a little.

Is there any technical difference between the GB of the ATs today, I mean between the A Star, i10 and Brio, apart from additional gear, are all Torque converters or are any of these CVT.
Well you gotta understand the AT behavior and learn to drive accordingly. Then it can give you pleasure similar to a manual.

Think of it like this. Suppose you were very good at playing Badminton. Would it mean you could play Tennis also as well without changing your technique? To need to play Tennis you'd need to learn to play that and then probably you could play Tennis also as well. But if you were to keep playing Tennis like Badminton, you'd end up frustrated very soon.

Generally AT cars beyond a certain budget come with much more technology and that can bring the driving pleasure very close to Manual car. But obviously we cant expect those on smaller/cheaper cars.

I think all three of those are normal torque converter type ATs. There was some talk of Brio having a CVT. Maybe sgiitk can confirm/correct this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am afraid thr S mode is not there in the Brio AT. There are D3, 2 and 1. If you do not want to shift manually just go down to D3. One consequence is that you do not any direct access to 4 & 5. In any case I doubt whether 4 and 5 will activate in normal City driving. So the D3 makes it a slick 3-speed AT, with some engine braking!
Yes I am aware Brio does not have the S mode. But I thought D3/2/1 might act as S mode only (gear shifts happening in higher rpms than pure D) or am I wrong to assume that. I gotta visit the Honda showroom sometime.

Last edited by joslicx : 5th November 2012 at 11:53.
Old 5th November 2012, 14:16   #177
BANNED

Tried D3 when returning from home after lunch. Unless you try for kickdown the lag disappears. Even in kickdown the lag is reduced a lot. Engine braking is there, but nothing to write home about.
Old 5th November 2012, 14:38   #178
Senior - BHPian

Test drove the AT on Saturday. The car moves like a breeze and I did not experience any discomfort while the gears where shifting. I say this in comparison to the AT 6th Gen Civic that I owned in the US for 2 years. The EPS feels a tad too light for me and the feedback is not as precise as what I get from my HPS Civc and Esteem. May have to get used to it I guess. The OTR in Chennai is 7.01 lac and the dealer is willing to throw in some freebies in the form of seat cover, floor mats, sunfilm (not the black ones) and an exhaust trim. I am just waiting to see how the year end is going to be like and any offers that may come up as am not in a great hurry to buy the car.

OT: While I was there in the showroom for the test drive, stumbled upon a USDM Civic HYBRID with a chennai regn TN04AJXXXX that had come for some quick service. It caught my attention since the rear of the USDM model is different from that of the JDM model. What puzzles me is that a LHD vehicle having got registered in India. I have read elsewhere and also in the forum that LHD vehicles cannot be imported and registered in India.
Old 7th November 2012, 10:17   #179
BHPian

I currently use the Brio in D3 mode only in city driving; Gear shifts are smooth so far. Have planned a short trip in coming weekend, will try to gauge the overall response of the car in D mode as well as an estimate of the popular question "milega kitna ? "
Old 11th November 2012, 21:28   #180
Senior - BHPian

Simply love the looks of this thing especially in blue! If it were launched with a conventional cvt it might have made a better if not a tad more expensive buy no? Would it be wrong to wish for an electric version even if it is priced a little higher? :P that would make the ideal second car or city runabout

Most Viewed