Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2013, 19:56   #1786
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Have you considered possibility of paint damage due to scratches from feet/wheels of luggage ?

Few years back Concord used to have a nice aluminium luggage rack for safari's similar to one in picture posted below in their showroom.
The difference was that the clamps and bolts used to be fitted exclusively on roof rails without touching painted portion.

Check out from Tata dealer just in case they still sell them.
In addition to paint damage, one also has to think about the strength of the steel. Everyone must have seen what happens to cars' roofs if a couple of dogs jump on it. The Safari sure has stronger sheet metal, but still, putting weight directly onto the roof steel is not considered during the structural design.

The roof rack properly distributes the weight into the body frame & the pillars. Also, the racks provide multiple points to secure the luggage with harnesses. So, don't even think about carrying luggage on the roof directly. Its highly unsafe in addition to being harmful to the car.
Old 9th November 2013, 13:17   #1787
Senior - BHPian

Guys
Are the ski racks on the Storme mounted on the roof through bolts or pasted with adhesive ?
Old 9th November 2013, 15:25   #1788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Guys
Are the ski racks on the Storme mounted on the roof through bolts or pasted with adhesive ?
Must be bolted bro. Very solid. No way could any adhesive take the full weight of big heavy guys grabbing it to hold on (like we do while standing on the footboards to wash the top of the roof etc.). On the ceremonial Safaris used for the Prime Minister, President etc. on parades, the security guys also stand on the foot boards and hold on there while the vehicle is on the move. Why do you ask?
Old 9th November 2013, 18:57   #1789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Why do you ask?
ebonho - reason for asking is because the roof carrier would have to be mounted on it since there is no other place on the roof and wanted to know how sturdy it is. Normally most vehicles have a solid steel member going along the sides of the roof where the roof carrier is mounted. The Storme is designed a bit different on this aspect
Old 9th November 2013, 23:34   #1790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
Some help would be appreciated,

Service interval is 1yr/15k kms. check your owner's manual, everything is mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@NST440, Have you completed 1 year ?
Reason I ask is the service is due only @ 15000 km, and not 10k.

For items to be covered, pls refer owner's manual. Ensure that all those points are done.

Thanks guys just checked the service manual, mine has run around 8k , service due in Jan 2014 as my sweetheart would complete 1 year then. It has been a nice experience till now touchwood except some minor squeaks here & there & i am in utter love with my storme.

There is one thing which is bothering me since pas month , when i start the engine in the morning ( cold start), there is a belt noise kinda squeal for a minute or so everyday & after that it vanishes. Just wanted to know why its happening & how it can be resolved.
Old 10th November 2013, 00:13   #1791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NST440 View Post
when i start the engine in the morning ( cold start), there is a belt noise kinda squeal for a minute or so everyday & after that it vanishes. Just wanted to know why its happening & how it can be resolved.
Happens in a lot of TATA vehicles from what I know including my Indigo. The root cause seems to be the engine belt that runs the accessories. It seems that the teeth in the belt are placed too widely apart because of which dirt particles get lodged in between them. Once you start the car, the squeal is from those particles getting crushed. When the crushing is all done, the noise disappears!
neel385 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2013, 01:48   #1792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
Happens in a lot of TATA vehicles from what I know including my Indigo. The root cause seems to be the engine belt that runs the accessories. It seems that the teeth in the belt are placed too widely apart because of which dirt particles get lodged in between them. Once you start the car, the squeal is from those particles getting crushed. When the crushing is all done, the noise disappears!
It may be the case but what i don't get is everyday how is the squeal back, can it be a case of misaligned belt? Whenever i go to TATA workshop there's no squeal obviously as the engine is no longer cold.

Just need to know if this is something to be really worried about & whats the best way to resolve it.
Old 10th November 2013, 06:52   #1793
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys just checked the service manual, mine has run around 8k , service due in Jan 2014
So you did not need any service now. But what made you think that the service is at 10k ?

Quote:
can it be a case of misaligned belt?
If it was a mis-aligned belt, then I guess you would have had more problems. And the sound would not have disappeared like that. Misalignment is quite unlikely - check where all the belt runs & how those pulleys are monted and you will know.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2013, 11:05   #1794
BANNED

Quote:
There is one thing which is bothering me since pas month , when i start the engine in the morning ( cold start), there is a belt noise kinda squeal for a minute or so everyday & after that it vanishes. Just wanted to know why its happening & how it can be resolved.
This is a standard feature on most TML vehicles. My friend's Storme, which is a week old has the issue.

It is because of the cogged belt that TML uses. In fact, a lot of Jeeps in small towns too have the same issue. Nothing to worry, think of it as the Storme brushing its teeth before it moves out to the road..!!
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2013, 16:24   #1795
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
This is a standard feature on most TML vehicles. My friend's Storme, which is a week old has the issue.
Devdath, how do they add this feature on those select vehicles ? Looks like you may have stumbled upon a solution that many owners of Tata vehicles can make good use of !

Last edited by condor : 10th November 2013 at 16:46.
Old 10th November 2013, 21:38   #1796
BHPian

Quote:
Devdath, how do they add this feature on those select vehicles ? Looks like you may have stumbled upon a solution that many owners of Tata vehicles can make good use of !
What Devdath says is absolutely correct. This is a special feature for lot of Tata passenger vehicle. Mine has this from day 1 and continues and they have not been able to find a solution for this. I have put this in the "Self Healing Technology" basket. The sound is there for 5-10 minutes and then goes off. Happens with cold start or wet belt.

On a serious note, this happens more if your vehicle is washed everyday, basically wet belt makes the noise and then it goes off. Well, that's how it works for me. I have stopped caring about it.
Old 10th November 2013, 21:53   #1797
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
What Devdath says is absolutely correct.

On a serious note, this happens more if your vehicle is washed everyday,
No, no, Devdath seems to have found a more comprehensive cause of this special feature. In your case it you have an extra condition of wet belt.

But since the belt is behind the radiator, do you:
1. Open the bonnet & wash (causing belt to get wet)
2. Wash in the engine bay also (causing belt to get wet)
3. Any other way of washing that allows the water to get into the engine bay ? ( I ask, because, I havent seen water getting into the bay, unless the hood is opened, or water is sprayed/splashed from below - when the car is hoisted up)
Old 11th November 2013, 09:32   #1798
BHPian

Quote:
In your case it you have an extra condition of wet belt.
The guy in apartment in his overzealous attempt to clean my car would everyday splash 3-4 mugs of water with force from the front. Also, at the end of my parking (towards the front of the car) there is decent slope (for water to flow in drain). So, he also bends down and would splash water from below to remove all the mud which get accumulated. Mine is a perpetual dug up area by BWSSB ( I guess they started looking for gold under Bangalore roads).

So, yes I have a strong feeling that daily dose of water used to reach the belt. Makes sense?
Old 11th November 2013, 10:04   #1799
Senior - BHPian

Guys
when you get out of the beast , do you just turn to your right and slide out of the seat directly reaching out for the ground, OR, you place your right leg on the running board, stand up and then step down ?

reason for asking is : I feel using the first technique, can over a period of time, deform the right side quarter section of the seat foam which gets stretched out and again rebounds everytime you slide out. It could also tear off.

In a sedan/hatch, one doesnt put so much stress on the right side quarter section due to the low slung nature.

Just a small observation..
Old 11th November 2013, 10:12   #1800
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The guy in apartment in his overzealous attempt to clean my car would everyday splash 3-4 mugs of water with force from the front.
The water still cant cut thru the radiator
( Good washing guy, that )

Quote:
Also, at the end of my parking (towards the front of the car) there is decent slope (for water to flow in drain). So, he also bends down and would splash water from below to remove all the mud which get accumulated.
So have you checked if the belt gets wet each day ?
( Good washing guy, that )

Quote:
Mine is a perpetual dug up area by BWSSB ( I guess they started looking for gold under Bangalore roads).
So at that place, is there water every day, 365 days a year ? and is there so much water & you that your driving ensures that the belt gets wet each time you drive there ?

Quote:
So, yes I have a strong feeling that daily dose of water used to reach the belt. Makes sense?
You have a strong feeling, but have you checked each time the sound comes, if the belt is actually wet ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks