Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2015, 20:40   #3091
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

So finally the long awaited upgrade is here. This is one thing i was hoping for right from the day of purchase. Will update once its complete. Lots of thanks to Frank and Ventoman for their help. Here's the preview.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-wp_20150902_17_26_05_pro.jpg  

drpudhi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 19:05   #3092
Distinguished - BHPian

DSG Rattles!

My GT TSI has completed about 4,500 kms in the 10 months or so its been with me and I would like to give out some observations on the DSG.

Some six months into ownership of the car, I started observing a few clanking sounds from the DSG, most pronounced when the box downshifted from D3 to D2 upon braking. I did a DSG 'memory reset' and topped up some engine oil and things seemed better for a while, but the rattle was back after a few weeks. I've been extremely busy with my work have had absolutely no time to take the car to the service centre and have been using the car as is, observing its traits and making mental notes.

My observations are as follows
  • There is a clanking mechanical rattle at low speeds on broken or cobbled roads, when the DSG is in D3/D2.
  • This sound is heard only when the widows are down, more particularly the left window
  • On medium to hard acceleration from D2, there is Crrrrrrrrrr sound for a second or two before the RPM picks up. This could be the fuel/ AC lines rattling against the body. This also is not heard when the AC is on and windows are up.
  • The D3 to D2 clunk : The sound does not come when the box downshifts from D3 to D2 but rather when there is engine braking for the first time after downshifting from D3 to D2.
  • Even when I move the gear lever from R to P or D to P there is a very mechanical crackle, which I am sure was not there in the first 3 or 4 months.
  • The tendency of the box to make these noises is more when there is a build up of fuel vapour pressure in the petrol tank. Say I open the fuel lid and let out that vapour, the rattle is very subdued or almost not there!
  • All these sounds are only heard when the windows are down and they are not pleasant sounding for the car loving owner. They are not so pronounced either. In fact none of my family members have even noticed it!
Anyway, apart from these clikety clakety sounds, the DSG has been doing its job just fine and I have no complaints on its performance or the engine for that matter.

Given the attitude of the service centres, I know I will be running around in circles and frankly I don't have the time nor the energy to chase them. I've got extended warranty and if the DSG fails on me, I've got cover.

Now here's the complication. I am itching to go get the car modded. The remap, B6 suspension, 16" wheels and tyres and paddle shift steering are what I've got lined up. But the rattly DSG has got me worried. If I go ahead with the mods, VW will surely deny me my warranty.

Maybe I should visit the service centre for a software update and see if it makes a difference. Any one else facing DSG rattles like me out there? Any experience with solutions and fixes?
Santoshbhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 00:30   #3093
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
So finally the long awaited upgrade is here. This is one thing i was hoping for right from the day of purchase. Will update once its complete. Lots of thanks to Frank and Ventoman for their help. Here's the preview.
Someone please tell me how to get this in India and for how much. And does it affect warranty?

Last edited by SLK : 5th September 2015 at 00:42.
Old 5th September 2015, 09:58   #3094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Someone please tell me how to get this in India and for how much. And does it affect warranty?
You can get it in India, albeit at an increased price. Try vagtune or AVS or Tbhp classifieds. Might set you back by 60 to 70k. And warranty, You will be at the mercy of VW. Upto you to take the risk or not.
Old 5th September 2015, 11:00   #3095
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can get it in India, albeit at an increased price. Try vagtune or AVS or Tbhp classifieds. Might set you back by 60 to 70k. And warranty, You will be at the mercy of VW. Upto you to take the risk or not.
Thanks.

Would anyone have any idea, where to get this in Germany! (probably cheaper there) as I do travel. Or I can even source it from UK or US, but I can't seem to be able to find a reliable website/ which stocks such things.
Old 5th September 2015, 11:22   #3096
BHPian

Re: DSG Rattles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Some six months into ownership of the car, I started observing a few clanking sounds from the DSG, most pronounced when the box downshifted from D3 to D2 upon braking.

[*]On medium to hard acceleration from D2, there is Crrrrrrrrrr sound for a second or two before the RPM picks up. This could be the fuel/ AC lines rattling against the body. This also is not heard when the AC is on and windows are up.
Rattling problem faced by me:
Intermittent rattle while shifting gears: It is very evident when shifting gears, and generally happens when the rpm is close to 2k.
Consistent rattle: Sometimes when the AC is switched on, I also get the consistent rattle. When I switch off the AC, the rattle disappears.

Possible Root Cause:
This might be because of fuel line and AC line rubbing against the body

Here is the dealer notes from a Australian 1.2TSI fix:
"Multiple pipes under bonnet and fuel lines noisy, road-tested vehicle with customer and confirmed presence of noises. Traced noise to fuel pipes rattling in chassis rail, removed pipes and insulated with foam, tested, noise now gone. Traced other noise to L/H/F chassis rail holder/clip adrift that holds P.A.S pipes. Refitted clip correctly, tested, noise now gone. Heard another noise, traced this noise to air coupipe rattling against chassis rail on R/H/S man overed pipe away from chassis, no noise evident now."

Found some more people reporting similar issue(in Team-BHP)
1) Over the weekend had to make an early morning run to the airport and in the still of the night, with no external noises, I realized there is a rattle in the engine bay in 1st and 2nd gear. It sure does sound like some metal pipes rattling against the body somewhere inside the engine bay. No noise on gears after 2nd. The vibration harmonics must be just right that it makes some rattling noises. A number of interweb searches have numerous discussions on the same rattle. Need to check this evening if I can locate the AC pipes and fix it.
2) Me too. It happens usually when the AC is running high (hot outside) or without AC on higher RPMs. I think it has been there since day one.
3) New rattle from the ac lines, also normal for this car. Sounds like its coming from the gearbox at 2k rpm, when the car is cold, which was a bit scary. Turned out to be the ac lines. Called VW, They have a fix for it.
4) I took the car to the workshop today and went for a drive with the head technician to highlight a few problems. Minor ones being the doors creaking and a small rattle from the dashboard when accelerating, and the major one being the metallic rattle while shifting gears. He too drove the car and it was still making that noise while shifting gears. He accepted the rattling noise and said that he'll look into it and is gonna perform the "sound test" or something like that , can't remember the exact words he used.
5) Correction. Vibrations have been isolated to fuel n ac lines that rattle against the body. Known issue in the 77tsi motors and is reported by 1.2 tsi owners worldwide. Going to dealer tomorrow for a fix.

Note: I have taken the car couple of times to the dealer. Since it is difficult to reproduce, I am unable to get this fixed. So, I have been living with the rattles
shetty_rohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 11:24   #3097
a2k
BHPian

I have been owning a TSI for the past 6 months now. This has been the best VFM car in the sub 10 lac segment. However one things I have observed it at raw idling when waiting in a traffic light say the car just guzzles fuel as indicated in my fuel consumption meter. When the traffic is moving I can extract about 12 kmpl by not driving in a spirited fashion. My Honda city automatic on the other hand while waiting for a light does not guzzle as much gas. However on the average they both give me the same mileage. Do I need to get my Polo examined? I use 93 octane gas.
Old 5th September 2015, 11:31   #3098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2k View Post
I have been owning a TSI for the past 6 months now. This has been the best VFM car in the sub 10 lac segment. However one things I have observed it at raw idling when waiting in a traffic light say the car just guzzles fuel as indicated in my fuel consumption meter. When the traffic is moving I can extract about 12 kmpl by not driving in a spirited fashion. My Honda city automatic on the other hand while waiting for a light does not guzzle as much gas. However on the average they both give me the same mileage. Do I need to get my Polo examined? I use 93 octane gas.

The polo shows you mileage for each trip, since the trip meter automatically resets, while the honda city will be showing you the mileage for the entire duration until trip meter is manually reset. So drop in mileage will obviously be more noticeable in the polo. Do correct me if i am wrong though, im comparing my own vw and honda vehicles, but there can be differences.
kkkkkaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 19:41   #3099
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Please let us know how the backlighting issue will be resolved. Since this steering is going to be installed in the pre-facelift GT, your backlighting will not work when you turn on the parking light. There is a workaround but no one except the Russians have tried it out (so far) and I am not sure if it is that or a combination of them which helped them get the backlighting on.

Solutions:

a. 2 new cables have to be routed to the cluster from the BCM.

b. Firmware upgrade for the BCM.
Old 5th September 2015, 20:23   #3100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Please let us know how the backlighting issue will be resolved. Since this steering is going to be installed in the pre-facelift GT, your backlighting will not work when you turn on the parking light. There is a workaround but no one except the Russians have tried it out (so far) and I am not sure if it is that or a combination of them which helped them get the backlighting on.

Solutions:

a. 2 new cables have to be routed to the cluster from the BCM.

b. Firmware upgrade for the BCM.
yep aware of it and working on that. Have also asked my VW service manager to help me out. That's what is taking time. If its complicated, might go ahead for now without backlighting. Do chip in if you find anything.
Old 6th September 2015, 09:44   #3101
BHPian

Quote:
yep aware of it and working on that. Have also asked my VW service manager to help me out. That's what is taking time. If its complicated, might go ahead for now without backlighting. Do chip in if you find anything.
Hey im waiting for my baby tsi from sundaram vw (chennai). Should be delivered in two weeks. Already ordered the mk7 gti steering with paddles (the full unit with the airbag). Should be a direct swap for me right???

Could you PM your number or email add? Would love to have a chat about some of the mods you went for..

Waiting for the delivery my red polo tsi..Should be here in 2 weeks. Some general advice needed

1)205/55/15 is the recommened upgrade for the stock polo tsi. Has anyone faced any issue with this upsizing? can i expect a significant drop in the FE?
2) Will the mk7 gti steering be a plug and play for me?
3) Can i do something to reduce the gap between the tyres and wheel arches? Looks ugly as hell. I dont want change the suspension setup too much though
4)Any one painted the original alloys gunmetal grey/ black? Would love to see pics..

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th September 2015 at 10:02. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your post within the 30-min window to add content to your post.
Old 6th September 2015, 13:10   #3102
BHPian

A couple of queries -

1. At what speed does the Sports mode shift to S7? Mine is mostly doing at S6 mode and VW service staff are telling me that it'll shift to S7 only by cruising in excess of 150kmph.

2. What are the bulb specs for new double barrel headlights? I'm thinking of upgrading to Night breakers and would appreciate any pointers on this.
Old 6th September 2015, 13:29   #3103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
1. At what speed does the Sports mode shift to S7? Mine is mostly doing at S6 mode and VW service staff are telling me that it'll shift to S7 only by cruising in excess of 150kmph.
Sounds highly unlikely: such a speed wouldn't even be legal in many countries.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if it were rarely used: I seldom use my manual 5th.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 13:34   #3104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A couple of queries -

Yes, I think that is true. I have never seen S7. Once on a controlled empty stretch of road, tried to see if I could get it to S7, but could not. That 6th gear in S mode seems infinitely tall.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 6th September 2015 at 13:43.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 15:13   #3105
BHPian

Quote:
A couple of queries -

2. What are the bulb specs for new double barrel headlights? I'm thinking of upgrading to Night breakers and would appreciate any pointers on this.
1. That's right. Have tried couple of times without success. It just cruises at little more than 3.5k rpm at that speed, not enough for the DSG to upshift to 7 in sports mode.

2. H7 for low and high beams. Its upto you if you want both low and high beams changed. If you hardly use high beams, you can go only for the low beams with stock bulbs in high.
drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks