Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2015, 17:33   #3181
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngauravmalhotra View Post
Hi Guys,
My SA called me and said he wud be able to deliver me the grey TSI in a week. this is after telling me there was no production this month. should i go for it. i think maybe it was a car for someone who cancelled it. shud i wait and see if any offers come next month for sharad.
I don't see any issue with you picking up a car meant for someone else. May be that person didn;t get the loan processed in time or didn't release payment after repeated calls.
But before that....
Goto the dealer yard and do a PDI of the car (Carry the Team-BHP checklist)
Note down the VIN. Make sure that its a "new" model with the latest features.
When the dealer fills in the RTO forms, make sure the VIN/Engine/Chassis number that you noted down is put on the form. Don't sign any form with blank Engine/Chassis number.
Don't pay the full amount without looking at the car.
freedom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 18:29   #3182
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
I don't see any issue with you picking up a car meant for someone else. May be that person didn;t get
Quote:
Hi Guys,
My SA called me and said he wud be able to deliver me the grey TSI in a week. this is after telling me there was no production this month. should i go for it. i think maybe it was a car for someone who cancelled it. shud i wait and see if any offers come next month for sharad.
I wouldn't expect any great offers for the GT TSi even during festival season. So, if the latest model car (with cruise control, electrically foldable ORVM with indicators) is available, you should go ahead. As freedom has mentioned, do a thorough PDI check before releasing the payment. Take the VIN number and check that the manufacturing date is latest (it would be if the car is with the latest feature additions). Physically verify that the new features are there in the car, and check the ODO. If everything checks out, there should be no problem.

Even in my case, the dealer said that they have one Grey TSi being billed to them and as there is no other Grey TSi booking, I can have this. I too will be doing all these checks before I take delivery.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 19:59   #3183
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
Missed asking you in the earlier post.

Which dealer is this?
Old 21st September 2015, 20:05   #3184
BHPian

Thanks Freedom and graaja,
i gave him the go ahead. he has started processing my loan documents and as said i have asked for the PDI at the yard. i will go through the due diligence . no VIN as of now and he will update me when he gets the same. though he confirmed it is september build car.

Cheers.
Old 21st September 2015, 20:51   #3185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Hi,

I am back with some more questions.

2. If everything goes well, there is a chance of getting the car in a couple of weeks. So, I would like to plan for tire upgrade as well. As I have severe hearing loss, I need a very silent cabin for any conversation to be possible.

The SA told me that the car comes with either Good Years or Apollo tires. From my earlier experience with Jetta, I understand Good Years have significant road noise. For that reason I had changed to Michelin P3STs on my Jetta straight out of the showroom. If the Polo TSi comes with Good Years, I will plan to change these to P3STs.

In case, the car comes with Apollo tires, are these better than the Good Years in terms of grip, comfort and noise level? Will there be a need to change to P3STs?

3. How good are the 185/60/R15 tires in terms of grip, braking distance etc., for the power the car delivers? Has anyone felt the need to go for wider tires? If yes, what are the options?

Thanks in advance for all the pointers.
I've been using 195/60/R15 Primacy 3ST from day 1 for nearly 32k kms now. These are really silent ones and are comfortable. Since i changed the apollos straight out of showroom really can't comment about those. If you want to stick to the oem size of 185/60/R15, then the XM2 is a good alternative.
drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 21:31   #3186
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
I've been using 195/60/R15 Primacy 3ST from day 1 for nearly 32k kms now. These are really silent ones and are comfortable. Since i changed the apollos straight out of showroom really can't comment about those. If you want to stick to the oem size of 185/60/R15, then the XM2 is a good alternative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
a change straight after the show room is better, as you will get the best buy back, definitely the oem tyres aren't that bad, but if one needs more from cornering, breaking etc it better to have more rubber and also he needs noise free ride then he will be better of changing the tyres, (if good year then noisy).
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratika View Post
My PoloGT is now 4k kms old. I have driven it in the city and also on the national highways (50-50 run so far). So I will share my observations on the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Brakes are good.
If you plan to put in mods to increase the performance, better plan for spend on brake and tire upgrades.
Thank you all on the feedback on brakes and tire upgrade.

Regarding brakes, short of going for a disc brake upgrade, there is nothing else to do. So, I will get used to what ever the stock brakes have to offer.

Regarding tires, apart from the requirement of reduced noise levels, the main requirement is grip. I love to do hard cornering and need grippy tires. From the feeback from drpudhi, and also from information in the "Polo Tire Upgrade Thread", I have two options.

1. 195/60/R15 Michelin P3ST
2. 205/55/R15 Yokohama S Drives

Of the above, I believe P3ST will be very silent and comfort oriented (I have very good experience with them on my Jetta) and S Drives while sacrificing on noise level, are performance oriented that would offer the best in terms of grip and handling. Also, the 205/55 size has only 0.5% error on circumference, whereas 195/60 has about 2% error. I will give this some more thought and choose between the two.

Thank you all once again for all the information and guidance.

Last edited by graaja : 21st September 2015 at 21:32.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 01:28   #3187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you all on the feedback on brakes and tire upgrade.

Regarding brakes, short of going for a disc brake upgrade, there is nothing else to do. So, I will get used to what ever the stock brakes have to offer.

Regarding tires, apart from the requirement of reduced noise levels, the main requirement is grip. I love to do hard cornering and need grippy tires. From the feeback from drpudhi, and also from information in the "Polo Tire Upgrade Thread", I have two options.

1. 195/60/R15 Michelin P3ST
2. 205/55/R15 Yokohama S Drives

Of the above, I believe P3ST will be very silent and comfort oriented (I have very good experience with them on my Jetta) and S Drives while sacrificing on noise level, are performance oriented that would offer the best in terms of grip and handling. Also, the 205/55 size has only 0.5% error on circumference, whereas 195/60 has about 2% error. I will give this some more thought and choose between the two.

Thank you all once again for all the information and guidance.
I will give you a third option. Try the new Continentals. The Indian-made MC5s provide a good blend of both comfort and grip. As far as comfort is concerned, it offers a cushier ride and eliminates quite a bit of the tyre roar. In terms of performance, it's reasonably grippy too. I find that it's capable of withstanding some of the rough-stuff as well and that's an added bonus! It may not be as quiet as the Michelin's or as grippy as the Yokos, but it's a bit of both without being too soft or prone to blemishes.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 05:44   #3188
BHPian

Why anyone not talking about Bridgestones, especially MY-02 and Potenza-III?
Old 22nd September 2015, 10:41   #3189
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I will give you a third option. Try the new Continentals. The Indian-made MC5s provide a good blend of both comfort and grip. As far as comfort is concerned, it offers a cushier ride and eliminates quite a bit of the tyre roar. In terms of performance, it's reasonably grippy too. I find that it's capable of withstanding some of the rough-stuff as well and that's an added bonus! It may not be as quiet as the Michelin's or as grippy as the Yokos, but it's a bit of both without being too soft or prone to blemishes.
Thanks Suhas. I have one question. Will the Continentals be a significant upgrade over the stock Apollos or Good Years?
Old 22nd September 2015, 12:09   #3190
zen
BHPian

I shifted to using the Continental MC5s (195/60) after having a tear in the sidewall of my left front GoodYear DP-V1 going through a relatively small pothole. I had been reasonably happy with the Goodyears but changed over after this puncture. Have only done about 500 kms on them so far but the MC5s are definitely a significant step up on the Goodyears on all fronts - tyre noise, comfort and performance.
zen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 12:34   #3191
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Suhas. I have one question. Will the Continentals be a significant upgrade over the stock Apollos or Good Years?
My car came with MRFs from the factory so the swap was a no-brainer.

I've never had great experiences with stock Goodyears. Our old Civic's Goodyears had quite a few punctures before we swapped them for Michelins. Even our Octavia wears Goodyears and in our one year of ownership, we've had one puncture and one tyre seems to lose air at an alarming rate.

The Apollos are pretty decent and fuss free is what I've been told.

My Polo TSI's Conti MC5s have seen about 5000 km of decent as well as rubbish roads. I have babied it for the most part on the rough stuff and have driven it hard on less-than-smooth roads and I must admit that I have missed the odd pothole on rare occasions, but the tyres have held it together without breaking a sweat. One particular pothole that I missed would have definitely resulted in a bubble or a puncture if the car had been wearing Michelins.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 13:46   #3192
BANNED

Quote:
Hi,

I am back with some more questions.

1. While doing the test drive, I felt the brakes were not adequate enough for the power the engine and gear box were delivering. I did not have much confidence at all in braking. This is only during heavy acceleration. Is my experience because I am used to Jetta's brakes? Or is the Polo's brake under powered? What is the experience of Polo TSi owners?

2. If everything goes well, there is a chance of getting the car in a couple of weeks. So, I would like to plan for tire upgrade as well. As I have severe hearing loss, I need a very silent cabin for any conversation to be possible.

The SA told me that the car comes with either Good Years or Apollo tires. From my earlier experience with Jetta, I understand Good Years have significant road noise. For that reason I had changed to Michelin P3STs on my Jetta straight out of the showroom. If the Polo TSi comes with Good Years, I will plan to change these to P3STs.

In case, the car comes with Apollo tires, are these better than the Good Years in terms of grip, comfort and noise level? Will there be a need to change to P3STs?

3. How good are the 185/60/R15 tires in terms of grip, braking distance etc., for the power the car delivers? Has anyone felt the need to go for wider tires? If yes, what are the options?

Thanks in advance for all the pointers.
(Driven 8.2k kms )

1.Brakes are quite bad, an upgrade to brembo slotted rotors and red pads should sort you. Setting brake assist to early and XDS to string will do wonders for braking and cornering

2.Car engine is almost dead silent at 70 in D7, but i doubt you'll be spending anytime there. Change to P3ST.

3.Not the best, an upgrade to 205 rubber is highly recommended. General go to option are the S drives, but you can go with michelin if you desire less road noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Do you think that the GT is as solid? Or have they cut back on the quality of body work, etc, with later models?
Nope, not nearly as solid. Old ones were much better. Take a TD, you'll see for yourself.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 14:44   #3193
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
(Driven 8.2k kms )

1.Brakes are quite bad, an upgrade to brembo slotted rotors and red pads should sort you. Setting brake assist to early and XDS to string will do wonders for braking and cornering

2.Car engine is almost dead silent at 70 in D7, but i doubt you'll be spending anytime there. Change to P3ST.

3.Not the best, an upgrade to 205 rubber is highly recommended. General go to option are the S drives, but you can go with michelin if you desire less road noise.
Thank you for the detailed feedback.

205/55/r15 Michelin P3ST would have been the ideal choice. However, P3ST does not come in this size, only in the 195/60 size. So, if I have to upgrade to 205 sections, I have to choose either Yokohama or Continental.

Regarding brakes, I have a question. When you say brake assist and XDS setting will do wonders to braking, do you mean these settings will improve the performance of the stock brakes, or is it with the upgraded disc brakes. Have you upgraded your car to disc brakes? If yes, can you share (or PM me) information on sourcing of the brakes and cost etc?

EDIT: Are the brembo slotted rotors an upgrade to the front brakes, or are these to replace the rear drums?

Last edited by graaja : 22nd September 2015 at 14:54.
Old 22nd September 2015, 20:18   #3194
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
My Polo TSI's Conti MC5s have seen about 5000 km of decent as well as rubbish roads. I have babied it for the most part on the rough stuff and have driven it hard on less-than-smooth roads and I must admit that I have missed the odd pothole on rare occasions, but the tyres have held it together without breaking a sweat. One particular pothole that I missed would have definitely resulted in a bubble or a puncture if the car had been wearing Michelins.
Thanks. After your suggestion, I also talked to the tire dealer. He said MC5s are comfort touring tires and in a way are similar to Michelin P3STs. They provide a balance of comfort, silence and grip, whereas Yokohama S Drives are purely sport tires and will be both noisy with a harsh ride.

So I have decided to go ahead with 205/55/r15 Continental MC5s as upgrade.

Thank you all for the suggestions which helped me a lot in the decision.
Old 23rd September 2015, 02:05   #3195

Hello Folks. Been a while since I was on the forum.

Took the 2nd plunge in 2 years. Booked a GT TSI for my wife (and second car). After considering other ATs (Jazz, Micra, Brio, Celerio) the Mrs decided to circle back to Polo GT TSI. Our 2013 Vento TSI has been running great for the last 2 years.

Now the wait begins.

-Raghu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks