Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2015, 16:56   #3331
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Up until now, the jerks were only under heavy braking. Now noticing it in the scenario you mentioned.

No software update done yet. When i checked, one service center said there is an update and they need 2 days for it. I gave for 2nd service in another service center and they had no clue.

Can you share what exactly was done during the upgrade process. I was told that I need to leave the car with 3/4th tank fuel and they would take it on a long drive with their systems connected and then do the updates on the fly after observing behavior.
This is surprising. For me, the whole update took only 4 hours. Even before the update, service center advised that it will take only a day at the most (1/2 day for update+1/2 day for settings change). They told me that they will connect the car in standby to their system for updating. There was no mention of fuel tank requirement and on the drive update and also it was not done as per the fuel gauge before and after. They just asked me at what condition i experience the jerks.
senthils27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 17:33   #3332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
Hi Manish,
I have been driving with P3ST for close to 43,000 kms(with the Pete's remap) . I guess I could use it for another 15,000 kms.
It is worth spending money on P3ST, and I am sure you will enjoy your pocket rocket.
What exactly would be the driving difference between P3ST and Goodyear? Lesser noise? More grip? I haven't driven on Michelin tyres before and don't have much idea about what difference tyres could make to driving. Also does changing from 185/60 to 195/60 void any warranty component?
Old 4th November 2015, 17:53   #3333
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish84 View Post
Booked a Grey Polo GT TSI after 2 months of research and loads of confusion.
The tyres on my car are of Goodyear 185/60/15. Could members please advise if these are better or worse off than Apollo? Also should an upgrade to Michelin P3ST 195/60/15 be seriously considered? I am not looking for any addons as of now, maybe armrest at most.

Does everyone get sleepless nights between booking and delivery?
Congratulations on the new GT, Manish. Wishing you tens of thousands of niggle free, fun filled miles with smiles.

From what I have read from many other user experience, Good Years are definitely worse than Apollo in terms of noise and grip. They are made of hard rubber with long life and rough Indian roads as primary criteria. Because of this they will be noisy and less grippy. If you look for a comfortable silent ride, and also push the car hard, then an upgrade to Michelin P3ST or Continental MC5 is preferable. These will provide you with better comfort and grip levels.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 18:05   #3334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Congratulations on the new GT, Manish. Wishing you tens of thousands of niggle free, fun filled miles with smiles.

From what I have read from many other user experience, Good Years are definitely worse than Apollo in terms of noise and grip. They are made of hard rubber with long life and rough Indian roads as primary criteria. Because of this they will be noisy and less grippy. If you look for a comfortable silent ride, and also push the car hard, then an upgrade to Michelin P3ST or Continental MC5 is preferable. These will provide you with better comfort and grip levels.
Thanks graaja. I too hope for a worry free ownership. Leaving aside DSG, these days it is a big leap of faith to buy VW itself. But the truth is that there is no comparable AT car in Indian market as of now.

I have been driving Dzire Diesel on Goodyear tyres from past 2 years and I am happy with them. Diesel makes so much noise anyways! My previous car, Ikon 1.6, had Yokohama S drive. They were noisy and I liked it. But given that so many owners change to P3ST, I think I will too give it a shot.
manish84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 00:55   #3335
BHPian

Manish, you may also want to try Yokohama S drives 205 section tyres. A lot of guys are running on those & they're extremely satisfied with the grip & performance. Tad bit more road noise than Michelin but much better grip as claimed.
polo_ankit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 10:29   #3336
BHPian

Quote:
What exactly would be the driving difference between P3ST and Goodyear? Lesser noise? More grip? I haven't driven on Michelin tyres before and don't have much idea about what difference tyres could make to driving.
Since I have not used Goodyear, I can't comment on this.
“ST” stands for “Silence Tuned”. This tyre is pretty quiet even in very high speeds compared to other tyres
Michelin advertises P3ST with the following points
- This tyre that covers all your needs.
- Safety comes first with improved grip and handling on both wet and dry roads
Shorter braking distance for greater safety
- Get a quieter and smoother ride than ever
Shock absorbent sidewall for a class-leading comfortable and quiet ride
- Long lasting tread
Minimized tread block deformation to provide excellent tyre mileage

And I agree with all these points.
Quote:
Also does changing from 185/60 to 195/60 void any warranty component?
Other than visual upgrades(like sticker, grills), any other upgrade which involves the mechanical/electrical changes would void the warranty. In case of wider tyres, it would most probably only void the suspension(and may be brakes) warranty.

Having said that, it all depends on the dealer. For instance, even if you have suspension problem(after the tyre upgrade), and if you have good relation with the dealer, then he could replace this under warranty.

Last edited by shetty_rohan : 5th November 2015 at 10:34.
shetty_rohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 15:18   #3337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
PMed you adityan! Go for it, you'll love the feel good factor it brings along!
Hi I don't have the PM facility, hence messaging by quoting from one of your old replies. You took the steering from the ebay.com vwtuning dealer? Is there any source from India in a cost economical option or vwrtuning is the best option ?
If possible you can send details to my mail id so that I can clear more doubts, in case. My personal id is binishl@gmail.com.
Old 8th November 2015, 21:58   #3338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Hi I don't have the PM facility, hence messaging by quoting from one of your old replies. You took the steering from the ebay.com vwtuning dealer? Is there any source from India in a cost economical option or vwrtuning is the best option ?
If possible you can send details to my mail id so that I can clear more doubts, in case. My personal id is binishl@gmail.com.
vwrtuning from mexico is the most economical option. In India, you can go with vagtune but is costly. I had a good experience with him and no complaints regarding the steering either. And atleast 3 or 4 tbhpians had got after that and have heard only positive reviews. Chat with him and decide for yourself.
drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 09:42   #3339

Got the first service done last weekend. Bill came to Rs.10829.
Clocked only 8200 kms till now. No issues so far, enjoying the ride.

I am getting a mileage of around 10-11 km/l, 50% heavy traffic and 50% moderate traffic.
Using the D-Mode mainly when there is heavy traffic.
Otherwise I like to use the S-Mode with a light foot, and haven't noticed a major change in mileage this way.

The car is stock except the tires changed to P3ST on Day 1.
bobby74 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 11:14   #3340

I've clocked about 5700kms so far. Up until last week I used get an indication that the inspection is due in about a 2000+ kms. But now, every time I start the car I am notified to go in for an inspection. Is this urgent or do I still have about 2k kms to go? Thought I'll get the forums' experience on this. Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 17:24   #3341
zen
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohn52 View Post
I've clocked about 5700kms so far. Up until last week I used get an indication that the inspection is due in about a 2000+ kms. But now, every time I start the car I am notified to go in for an inspection. Is this urgent or do I still have about 2k kms to go? Thought I'll get the forums' experience on this. Thanks
The service interval is set in terms of number of kms OR a defined time period (6 months for the first service). You can check both these numbers by pressing the left button (used to set the clock) on your dash thrice. My guess is your 6 month service date might be up.
zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 18:49   #3342
BHPian

I got my Grey GT yesterday. Everything seems fine but I have been struggling to find a comfortable seating position. Firstly, since I was using Dzire, Polo seems too low even with maximum seat height. More problematic is that I get severe pain on bums (ball joints) after driving it for 10 mins. Under thigh support is very inadequate. I even tried with pushing the seats fully backward and pulling steering wheel fully forward so that my thighs are parallel to ground. But that didn't help much.

Is this a known issue with Polo? Have members got extra thigh support fitted? I didn't find any specific mention of it in reviews and ownership threads. I have an average height of 5.7". I am sure this issue has a solution. What is it that I am not doing something right?

Last edited by manish84 : 9th November 2015 at 19:01.
manish84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 21:00   #3343

Thanks zen ... Didn't realize it's been 6 months already. Good sign I guess Also, just to confirm, there should not be any costs associated to this first inspection, correct? Any comments on this? Something to ask for or get checked out or anything like that?
Old 9th November 2015, 22:19   #3344
Distinguished - BHPian

Now that you come to mention it, I do remember an initial difficulty with driver-seat hight.

I think, in the end, I just got used to sitting lower than I expected. I also found this necessary because, if I was higher, the RVM got badly in my way. I wish they had put it higher on the glass.
Old 10th November 2015, 00:01   #3345
zen
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohn52 View Post
Thanks zen ... Didn't realize it's been 6 months already. Good sign I guess Also, just to confirm, there should not be any costs associated to this first inspection, correct? Any comments on this? Something to ask for or get checked out or anything like that?
Time sure flies in the GT TSI huh? Yeah the first inspection should be free. If there's any problems you're facing (gearshift jerks etc), get those checked out. Might be a good time to get some VCDS tweaks performed as well if you're interested and your service centre is willing.
zen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks