Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2016, 09:56   #4081
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhisheKulkarni View Post
(mine is a 2015 model without the 6 bells & whistles).

Although the picture shows the instantaneous FE, the averaged FE (FE Meter 2) was equal to the instantaneous FE.
Hi Abhishek,

The FE in the picture is indeed the average FE for Trip 1, the other one you are mentioning is for Trip 2. So your actual FE is as much. Your Trip 1 & 2 must have been reset at the same time for this result to happen. AFAIK, Instantaneous FE is disabled in our GTs by default, can be enabled by VCDS.

I have done my share of MPEH trips, including some rush hour traffic (WEH in Mumbai) myself but have never got an FE above 14 KMPL, maybe you can guess why

PS: Loved your comment about the missing 6 Bells & WhistlesI am in the same boat. But I believe I have got the rawest deal because not only did I not get the new features, but also missed the Armpad fabric & Handbrake Leather.

Cheers,
Sid.
sidparekh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 14:18   #4082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidparekh View Post
The FE in the picture is indeed the average FE for Trip 1, the other one you are mentioning is for Trip 2. So your actual FE is as much. Your Trip 1 & 2 must have been reset at the same time for this result to happen. AFAIK, Instantaneous FE is disabled in our GTs by default, can be enabled by VCDS.
I understood the two trip meters differently, until now. What I thought was that the 1st mileage meter showed the instantaneous figure, while the 2nd showed the average mileage over the trip (and across multiple trips if one didn't reset it). Also I have observed that meter 1 gets reset automatically when I start the car, but meter 2 retains the previous value. This further reinforced my aforementioned assumption. I guess I will have to go back to the user manual and check what it says about the meters! Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
I have done my share of MPEH trips, including some rush hour traffic (WEH in Mumbai) myself but have never got an FE above 14 KMPL, maybe you can guess why
Haha. Partly done in 'S' mode, I guess.

Quote:
PS: Loved your comment about the missing 6 Bells & WhistlesI am in the same boat. But I believe I have got the rawest deal because not only did I not get the new features, but also missed the Armpad fabric & Handbrake Leather.
I definitely felt bad when the two facelifts came out one after another. But I guess it's fate. Can't do anything but move on.
AbhisheKulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 16:27   #4083
BHPian

Quote:
...The FE in the picture is indeed the average FE for Trip 1, the other one you are mentioning is for Trip 2. So your actual FE is as much. Your Trip 1 & 2 must have been reset at the same time for this result to happen. AFAIK, Instantaneous FE is disabled in our GTs by default, can be enabled by VCDS...Sid.
Quote:
I understood the two trip meters differently, until now. What I thought was that the 1st mileage meter showed the instantaneous figure, while the 2nd showed the average mileage over the trip (and across multiple trips if one didn't reset it). Also I have observed that meter 1 gets reset automatically when I start the car, but meter 2 retains the previous value. This further reinforced my aforementioned assumption. I guess I will have to go back to the user manual and check what it says about the meters!
I would still go by what Abhishek Kulkarni thought initially.

In my (2015) TSI, FE2 shows a change depending on how good or bad the traffic has been WHILE the drive is on. So FE1 is more 'current' therefore instantaneous, and FE2 is certainly the long term average.

What's new to me is the ability to reset these FE counters. But how is this done, by long pressing of the RHS steering controls?

Last edited by LithiumSunset : 29th September 2016 at 16:29.
Old 29th September 2016, 18:53   #4084
BHPian

Okay, so this has what happened to my TSI when I left it in the parking with a cover on for ten days.

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_0026.jpg
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_0027.jpg

I did not actually realize this had happened until after a week after my vacation when my colleague wanted to see the car before he booked one for himself. Until then I was merrily driving it around the city. I originally implied that something went bonkers with the battery and took it to service straight where the SA did not hesitate even for a moment before confirming: "This is rat bite sir." He checked the wiring and said nothing is broken for now.

Any suggestions on how can I keep the nibbling things at bay?
srinivasnvns is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 19:02   #4085
BHPian

You an reset the FE values by long holding the button on RHS steering controls. At least this works on my Vento TSI, I guess it should be the same on Polo as well
nagarjun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 06:16   #4086
BHPian

Quote:
I understood the two trip meters differently, until now. What I thought was that the 1st mileage meter showed the instantaneous figure, while the 2nd showed the average mileage over the trip (and across multiple trips if one didn't reset it). Also I have observed that meter 1 gets reset automatically when I start the car, but meter 2 retains the previous value. This further reinforced my aforementioned assumption. I guess I will have to go back to the user manual and check what it says about the meters! Thanks for sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
I would still go by what Abhishek Kulkarni thought initially.
In my (2015) TSI, FE2 shows a change depending on how good or bad the traffic has been WHILE the drive is on. So FE1 is more 'current' therefore instantaneous, and FE2 is certainly the long term average.
What's new to me is the ability to reset these FE counters. But how is this done, by long pressing of the RHS steering controls?
Average calculations, whether speed or FE, will have the 'Φ' next to it. The are two 'memories' indicated by the '1' or '2' superscripts on the right of the MFD parameter readout and each of them calculates trip distance/driving time/average speed/average fuel consumption. Memory 1 is basically a short term one that resets itself after more than two hours of driving time interruption. Memory 2 on the the other hand is a relatively long term memory, and isn't effected by 2 hour interruption criterion.

The other readouts on the MFD, like ambient temperature, digital speed display, max-speed warning, instantaneous fuel consumption and range left do not fall under memory 1 or memory 2, and thus are not influenced by them being reset. Thus there won't be '1' or '2' superscripts on the right of these MFD parameter readouts.

Also do note that, resetting anything calculated under Memory 1 or Memory 2 (i.e any one among avg FE or avg speed or trip distance or driving time) will effectively clear all the calculations made under the particular Memory. Below are screenshots from the Skoda Rapid owner's manual. They are the same in our 2013/2014 VW cars and I bet would be the case with current face-lifts also.

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-rapidpoloventomfdmenu.jpg
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-rapidpoloventomfdmenu2.jpg
-- Avinash
Old 30th September 2016, 06:30   #4087
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivasnvns View Post
Okay, so this has what happened to my TSI when I left it in the parking with a cover on for ten days.

Any suggestions on how can I keep the nibbling things at bay?
OMG. That should have been one ravenous rat

There is a dedicated thread discussing various options to save the car from rats. Check this out.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-car-rats.html

PS: Even my car is dead (reported by wife). As I am away on travel, not sure what is the cause. Hope it is just a dead battery which will be fine with a jump start and some charging.
Old 30th September 2016, 10:09   #4088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
Average calculations, whether speed or FE, will have the 'Φ' next to it. The are two 'memories' indicated by the '1' or '2' superscripts on the right of the MFD ...
Attachment 1560937
-- Avinash
Don't have either of the two buttons on the RHS stalk of my car, perhaps the newer versions do.
Old 30th September 2016, 13:42   #4089
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Don't have either of the two buttons on the RHS stalk of my car, perhaps the newer versions do.
Even my 2011 Polo had them. And the control on my 2014 GT TDI is the same.
Old 30th September 2016, 15:00   #4090
BHPian

Quote:
You are right that the two buttons (for toggling and selecting/resetting memory) are not on the RH stalk in the 2015 cars. Might have been only for the pre-2015 vehicles. However the same functionality is now achieved with the buttons on the steering wheel itself, on the RH side as in the pictures below (Source)

The RH stalk
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-2015-gt-tsi-rh-stalk.jpg

The buttons on SW to toggle between MFD options
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-2015-gt-tsi-rh-sw-controls.jpg

I expect that only the positions of MFD toggles have changed. Everything I mentioned earlier about the calculation of MFD readouts / memories / resetting / averages etc would be the same (similar to as described in Rapid Owner's manual, and as is the case with virtually all VW/Skoda cars).
Old 5th October 2016, 14:46   #4091
BHPian

Re: 2016 Volkswagen Vento Facelift spotted testing

Hey guys,

I'm on the verge of booking a Polo GT TSi. I'm planning to book it this Saturday.

1st option : With all the recent posts regarding engine updates, etc should I just wait to see what changes are going to be made ?

2nd option : Should I bargain with the dealer for discounts on the current one before the possible upgrade comes about ?

I'd appreciate it if people could post replies based on actual facts and not just assumptions.

Best.
Old 5th October 2016, 14:56   #4092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoaib3030 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm on the verge of booking a Polo GT TSi. I'm planning to book it this Saturday.

1st option : With all the recent posts regarding engine updates, etc should I just wait to see what changes are going to be made ?

2nd option : Should I bargain with the dealer for discounts on the current one before the possible upgrade comes about ?

I'd appreciate it if people could post replies based on actual facts and not just assumptions.

Best.
We both are sailing in the same boat!

The only difference being that I booked my GT TSI last month itself and I am planning to take delivery in 2 weeks or so. There are absolutely no discounts being offered on the GT TSI. With so many rumors/news floating around, I still feel its highly unlikely that they will tweak the GT engine. The only change I think that might come to GT as well will be addition of: (These updates are coming to the Polo, apparently)
1. Front arm rest
2. Rear AC vents
3. Rear camera, the one found in Ameo

These additions might lead to a price hike as well but then again, I'm just speculating since dealers across multiple cities are quite clueless about the coming updates.

Do share any information you receive regarding GT TSI updates. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Aston Singh : 5th October 2016 at 14:58.
Old 5th October 2016, 15:01   #4093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Do share any information you receive regarding GT TSI updates. Thanks in advance.
Haha. Mate, the sales guy has been calling me since the last one month pestering me to take the plunge asap. He says the waiting period is almost a month. However, I read in some other post (in this thread) that the GT production has been stopped since the last 2 months. Is there any correlation between this and the possible upgrade ? ( I can't vouch for the credibility of this information though)

I asked my sales guy about the possible upgrades. He told me only the Vento will be updated and not the GT. I would like a reverse camera though ! haha.
Old 5th October 2016, 15:07   #4094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoaib3030 View Post
Haha. Mate, the sales guy has been calling me since the last one month pestering me to take the plunge asap. He says the waiting period is almost a month. However, I read in some other post (in this thread) that the GT production has been stopped since the last 2 months. Is there any correlation between this and the possible upgrade ? ( I can't vouch for the credibility of this information though)

I asked my sales guy about the possible upgrades. He told me only the Vento will be updated and not the GT. I would like a reverse camera though ! haha.
Exactly the issue out here! Everyone's saying something or the other with no solid proof or confirmation. I guess, all we can do is just wait and watch. But then again, till when?! I am getting restless and can't wait to get my hands on the GT!!

I did my booking last month around the 15th. One month is your usual waiting period for the GT TSI. I am trying to take out some time to go to VW here in Pune and try and find out what news they have regarding updates for the Polo lineup.

Reverse camera is something I want as well! Rear AC vents I don't mind skipping and the funny thing is, I've already bought the front arm rest from Ali Express. Haha!
Old 5th October 2016, 15:10   #4095
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 7th October 2016 at 17:26.
shoaib3030 is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks