Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2016, 17:44   #4021
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

I am about to purchase extended warranty for my GT (2+2/100,000km) which will turn 1 year in couple of days. I am looking at this chart from VW and pondering whether to take up RSA as well. I don't have RSA from my car insurance, If someone has opted for it and had availed the services in an unfortunate event of a break down please post some feedback.
Old 29th August 2016, 19:04   #4022
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
I am about to purchase extended warranty for my GT (2+2/100,000km) which will turn 1 year in couple of days. I am looking at this chart from VW and pondering whether to take up RSA as well. I don't have RSA from my car insurance, If someone has opted for it and had availed the services in an unfortunate event of a break down please post some feedback.
I haven't had the need - touchwood - to use road side assistance, but I would strongly suggest you to go for road side assistance as well along with extended warranty. When I took the extended RSA for my Jetta, I thoroughly read through the terms and conditions and discussed in details with the representative. I was convinced that the terms and conditions were quite customer friendly and worth the 4555 premium. On the other hand the RSA offered by insurance companies had so many restrictions like within 150km radius of a VW dealership etc., and many exclusions.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 12:32   #4023
BHPian

GT TSI thread has been really quiet recently. Surprising!

I guess everyone out here prefers to spend time with their beautiful machine rather than discuss stuff on this thread
Old 2nd September 2016, 12:39   #4024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
This doesn't sound comforting. My major concern is the very obvious DQ200 gearbox and that's my primary reason of even thinking of extended warranty. But at the same time, the above mentioned modifications/upgrades are really needed in order to fully enjoy this beautiful machine.

If I do go down this road, I'll be picking up the GT TSI from Ahmedabad and getting it registered in Pune. I guess I will need to read the warranty clauses very carefully and hope that if VW service center in Pune is helpful and not too fussy. Would be good to get some feedback of the SAs from other members.
I purchased my TSI from B.U. Bhandari, Pune in March '15 and have had an excellent experience wrt. the sales/service.

We own a Maruti and a Honda along with the VW and I must say, B.U Bhandari's service center at Wakad is exceptional. To say that I have never had any complaints with their attitude/work would be an understatement. And I am a perfectionist and extremely demanding when it comes to any work on my car, so that's saying something.

Quote:
Guys a couple of questions regarding what all modifications/upgrades can be done in case of GT TSI without affecting the (2+2) warranty.

1. Installing VW MK7 steering wheel with paddles
I would be wary of this mod from both warranty and insurance perspectives. This is a serious modification to the car from a functional/safety point-of-view. In an unforeseen unfortunate situation if the airbag does not inflate, not only is there a possibility of injury, but both VW and your insurance would have the legal ammunition to absolve themselves of any liability.

Quote:
2. Upgrading front door speakers, installing a new after market head unit and installing 6x9 coaxials on rear parcel tray. (Damping doors as well)
My SA has told me clearly; this kind of modification would result in it being recorded in the job-card and VW would flatly refuse any warranty for the OE battery (which is for the 1st year only) and electrical issues (due to the wiring harness being spliced, if applicable).

Quote:
3. Upgrading to 16" alloys and 195/205 section tyres or sticking to 15" OEM alloys and only swapping tyres.
1. I was personally interested in this, and have spoken with my SA about it. So first of all, this would void the suspension/ABS warranty. Larger alloys equate to increased weight/wear n' tear for the suspension.
2. Also if there is any fault in the ABS ECU/sensors, they may not provide warranty/support for a root-cause-analysis/resolution.
3. Changing to 16" alloys would also impact the configuration/tune of the ESP system in my opinion and may lead to the expected ESP behavior being altered. This would be very difficult to validate on paper as those scenarios are difficult to reproduce in the real-world. The VW service center technicians do not have any understanding of ESP scenarios and impact to them due to modifications in ground clearance and wheel size due to an alloy upgrade.
4. Moreover, the ride would also get harsher with 16" alloys and the suspension setup on the Polo is on a slightly stiffer side with the OE suspension being pretty noisy on uneven surfaces. So I feel it would aggravate the ride for daily use. It may feel more planted on a 'perfect' tar highway but the Pune-Mumbai expressway ride would most probably be terrible as it has wild undulations on the 65-70 KM stretch which is made of concrete.

As per my personal experience with the OE alloys and the tyres (Apollo Alnacs), they are just beautiful from a reliability perspective. I have immense respect for them. The car has gone over multiple gigantic potholes (unintentionally, obviously) at speeds ranging from 50 - 100 KPH (during rainy night drives) and there has been no issue at all. I feel that a softer compound tyre upgrade would be unreliable if you intend to drive anywhere around the Hinjewadi area in Pune (just as an example) where the road conditions are awful (depending on your route, ofcourse). Doesn't make much financial sense to invest in costly alloys and tyres for performance/road-noise improvement if you have to replace them every time they get damaged.
However, given a preference between changing alloys to 16" or changing tyres on stock alloys, I would suggest you to go with the latter as it has a lesser percentage impact.

Do let me know if you need additional information!
AbhisheKulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 13:20   #4025
BHPian

Guys what kind of fuel economy can one expect out of POLO GT tsi if driven in a sedate manner within the city with a mix of open roads and heavy traffic. Inputs from owners in Delhi/Gurgaon would help alot. Also has any one got an experience regarding its resale value?
Old 2nd September 2016, 13:30   #4026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins View Post
Guys what kind of fuel economy can one expect out of POLO GT tsi if driven in a sedate manner within the city with a mix of open roads and heavy traffic. Inputs from owners in Delhi/Gurgaon would help alot.
Though I am not from the ncr region but yes I drive sedately

Real world fe on an avg has been ~13

Highest I got is ~ 21

Worst in bumper to bumper is ~ 6

With respect to used cars (gt tsi) I don't think the online portals have an understanding of the make as the quote thrown out is like 4.5 -5 lacs for like a 3 year old car ( I dread to ever list it with those kind of figures)
Rajesh Rawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 13:39   #4027
BHPian

Quote:
Guys what kind of fuel economy can one expect out of POLO GT tsi if driven in a sedate manner within the city with a mix of open roads and heavy traffic.
In very heavy traffic, assuming B2B driving and crawling speeds(never exceeding 35 KPH/D3): 3-7 kpl

In light traffic, on a route without too many signals and assuming an average speed of 40 kph with some portions having been traveled @ D6 and ~60 KPH: 12-14 kpl

Quote:
Also has any one got an experience regarding its resale value?
Resale value is excellent is what I've heard. 2014 TSI's (still in manufacturer's warranty period) are going at an asking price of ~7-7.5 lacs. I'm sure that the resale value of face-lifted TSI's with cruise-control and auto-folding ORVMs would be marginally better, as long as they are in warranty. However this is always very subjective and one cannot forecast/predict this value across time. If DQ200 failures start happening or any kind of recall is issued, resale value would get affected for sure. As of now, there haven't been any reported failures of the DQ200 which I feel is the primary factor driving this good resale value.
AbhisheKulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 13:40   #4028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhisheKulkarni View Post
I purchased my TSI from B.U. Bhandari, Pune in March '15 and have had an excellent experience wrt. the sales/service.
Yes I've heard that VW Pune service is far better than other cities.

Quote:
I would be wary of this mod from both warranty and insurance perspectives. This is a serious modification to the car from a functional/safety point-of-view.
I can live without swapping the steering wheel, atleast for a year or two. I can reconsider this mod at a later stage, maybe when I decide to remap the ECU.

Quote:
My SA has told me clearly; this kind of modification would result in it being recorded in the job-card and VW would flatly refuse any warranty for the OE battery (which is for the 1st year only) and electrical issues (due to the wiring harness being spliced, if applicable).
I think this modification is manageable especially if no wires are cut. I definitely need a good sounding system.

Quote:
However, given a preference between changing alloys to 16" or changing tyres on stock alloys, I would suggest you to go with the latter as it has a lesser percentage impact.
I can live with 15" alloys but I definitely need better quality rubber (Michelin P3ST or Yoko S drives), 195 at least if not 205.

Quote:
Do let me know if you need additional information!
Will do. Thanks a ton.
Old 2nd September 2016, 16:14   #4029
BHPian

Wish we could say that abt the dealers in hyderabad. My last visit to them was for a dent removal and as usual they charged 450 under consumables for denting and painting. The invoice however indicated as engine protection. Not sure why cant they bill properly . Gave the feedback to VW regarding this. however i havent heard back from them either.
Old 4th September 2016, 13:13   #4030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Yeah the glovebox doesn't readily have a provision to fit them. Get the damper used for the Toyota Camry's glove box and have it glued/screwed outside. Easier to install and works well. Part number - 55557-33030. eBay link.

Attachment 1441744

I've ordered this damper along with a bunch of check valves (from Toyota as well) for the windshield washer tubes. The check valve will ensure that the nozzles will spray the water instantly when the stalk is pulled (since the water in the tube will not drain back into the reservoir). Usually it takes a few seconds for the water to spurt out since the water drains back into the reservoir.

Toyota parts in VW vehicle.

Hey Gannu, sorry to revive an old post, but have you had the time to fit in the glove box damper from the camry?
Old 4th September 2016, 17:08   #4031
BHPian

It's actually great to know there are such satisfied and happy vw customers out there @Abishek

Regarding the same issue I wish to know if anyone has had any experiences with vw delhi west? I really don't wish to be stuck with horrible service experiences afterwards and even after searching extensively I just couldn't find anyone who has had any service experience with them.
Old 8th September 2016, 10:10   #4032
BHPian

Quote:
I think this modification is manageable especially if no wires are cut. I definitely need a good sounding system.
Hi Aston, You could check these out.

http://www.focal.com/en/dedicated-dr...ic-165-vw.html

These (IC 165 VW) come with a VW connector which is completely plug-and-play. I have read a lot about these being the default audio upgrade option for people with VW cars across the globe. It has an inverted cone tweeter; Sound quality is supposed to be great as well.

If you have any concerns about warranty, I think you should go for these. I doubt the boffins at VW A.S.S. would ever find out. I am personally looking to do this soon.
Old 8th September 2016, 16:08   #4033
BHPian

Apologies in advance if this has been covered before but I gave up after reading a few pages since I figured that reading all 269 pages would be too much for me.

The first question is about the AC in the GT TSI. When I want to fix the fan speed at a certain level I find that I cannot unless it is on 1 or 2 bars. After that it becomes automatic. Hence I need to play around with the temperature setting until I reach a suitable fan speed - but then it may not be the right temperature for me. On my last visit to VW ASS they were not able to explain or rectify it. Does others have the same experience?

The second is about the ignition - it takes a few more seconds to start, as compared to other cars. It is almost as though the battery is going down. This is from the very beginning but when I asked ASS, I was told that it is like that in all GT TSIs.

I have a third query and although this could be rectified in the servicing which is due, but I experience jerks when I brake too hard.

Request others who have GT TSIs to comment on the above. Thanks in advance!
Old 11th September 2016, 16:42   #4034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrodie View Post

The first question is about the AC in the GT TSI. When I want to fix the fan speed at a certain level I find that I cannot unless it is on 1 or 2 bars. After that it becomes automatic. Hence I need to play around with the temperature setting until I reach a suitable fan speed - but then it may not be the right temperature for me. On my last visit to VW ASS they were not able to explain or rectify it. Does others have the same experience?
If I understood your question correctly, this seems to be a fault with the AC control unit. The climate control will stay in "Auto" mode if you press AUTO button and then change the temperature to your liking. Pressing any other button will switch it to manual mode including the fan speed toggle button. So you should be able to adjust the fan speed as you wish and then adjust the temperature to your liking but this will be in manual mode.

Quote:
The second is about the ignition - it takes a few more seconds to start, as compared to other cars. It is almost as though the battery is going down. This is from the very beginning but when I asked ASS, I was told that it is like that in all GT TSIs.
I experience the same thing in my 5 months old GT but I've never actually cared about it. Might be the same for all GTs.

Quote:
I have a third query and although this could be rectified in the servicing which is due, but I experience jerks when I brake too hard.
I've read from other GT owner's posts that during servicing they sometimes do a software upgrade for the DSG which eliminates the jerks. I do not have this problem though so can't comment more.
Old 11th September 2016, 20:43   #4035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrodie View Post
You've just found out a good feature in your ACC system! The reason the system is going back to Auto mode is because you've previously turned on the Auto mode. This feature is useful when you accidentally change the fan speed instead of the temperature in Auto mode. You can go back to the Auto mode by going back to the fan speed set by the system.

Ideally you should be able to set any fan speed you like irrespective of auto or not. Even if it goes back to Auto you can change the fan speed later if you feel uncomfortable.

The ACC works by cooling the cabin at a fan speed proportional to the difference in outside temperature and the set temperature and then slowly reduces the fan speed to 1 or 2 as the cabin cools. So if you don't like the cold air hitting you, you can turn away or shut the vents for the time being
Hope it helps.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks