Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2013, 14:59   #2101
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I thought the engine guard is the under body protection (http://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/Ford...-diesel-08.jpg), and the engine cover is the plastic cover on the top (http://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/Ford...iesel-04.jpg)?
The under body cover is already there on the car (I guess). What I was told at the accessory wing of the Showroom is that this is the one that goes on top of the engine
I hope I've got it right
Old 3rd July 2013, 15:25   #2102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrider View Post
The show room just informed me that my titanium diesel will be ready for delivery tomorrow..essential?
Congratulations on your new car. Regarding extended warranty, It totally depends on how you are gonna maintain your car. If you are planning to do modifications on your car, like adding in RaceChips alloys, low profile tyres.. Then I would advice not to take extended cover, as they will be voiding the warranty blaming on the modifications you did.

If you are gonna drive around the car in its stock shape, then I would recommend you to get additional warranty. I am gonna add in 4th year warranty for my FIGO for 9.5k odd rupees.

I was facing a probable turbo charger issue before, but my mind was totally @ peace since I was having 3rd year warranty!!!
limited-edition is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 15:36   #2103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Can you please elaborate? What do you mean by 'its a dud'? What is 'power and fun'? I thought 1.5ltr and 100+ bhp is enough for a family of four. GT has lots of issues when compared to PowerShift.
The engine response, power delivery, driveability are on another planet if you pitch the Ford 1.5l to the 1.2TSI. Its not fair to compare them. A well designed and tuned turbo petrol engine will feel better to drive than a naturally aspirated one.

You should drive the Ford Fiesta/Ecosport AT and VW GT back to back and tell us what you think. I said "dud" in terms of power. I no longer accept paper power any more. What is said on paper turns out quite different when you drive the car and this is exactly what I experienced with the 1.5l Ford Fiesta and Ecosport Ecoboost. The engine isn't even a patch to their own Duratec powered Ford Classic.

The Power Shift belongs to the Ford family. The GT comes with their (VW) own DSG gear box. This gear box has a history of problems. What I've heard is, they are all ironed out in the GT sold in India and the other VW family of cars that come fitted with this gear box. Its left to be seen if this holds true.

A 1.5l 100 horse power engine is surely enough for a car like the EcoSport. Its what you want out of the engine and that will be your deciding factor. If you like driving sedate for the most part, the 1.5l will work. If you crave for instantaneous acceleration with a fun to drive factor, the TSI/Fiat T Jet is the way to go.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 15:40   #2104
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrider View Post
The show room just informed me that my titanium diesel will be ready for delivery tomorrow if I make full payment today.

Is extended warranty really essential?
Yes get it - good for you if you keep the car long. Even better if you sell within warranty period from resale point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmokid View Post
The under body cover is already there on the car (I guess). What I was told at the accessory wing of the Showroom is that this is the one that goes on top of the engine
I hope I've got it right
There seem to be some spec/engine variants without the underbody engine cover. The accessories guy showed me a snap and informed me that this one is below the engine. Though it cannot be 100% confirmed.
Old 3rd July 2013, 15:41   #2105
Senior - BHPian

Just had a look at the Eco Sport in the flesh at Orchid Ford, Meerut. Build quality was very good for its category. The size was a disappointment and nothing more than a glorified hatch there.

Overall it seems like a classy proposition but I would not be running to the showroom anytime soon to get the Diesel Titanium (O) at 10.53L on-road price, for the value it offers to me. Lower variants were not even offered for a look and that is where the whole numbers game may lie for Ford.
Old 3rd July 2013, 15:53   #2106
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmokid View Post
I hope I've got it right
Diesel variants get the one that goes below the engine. Petrol variants don't. So if you're looking at a diesel variant, you only need the one that goes on top of the engine (Vid called it the high frequency shielding).
Old 3rd July 2013, 15:55   #2107
BHPian

I spotted two EcoSport cars today on the way back from town. Mars Red and the other one was probably Moon Dust Silver and or the Chill Metallic, I could not decide which. Even after having seen innumerable pictures of the Red Ecosport, it still looked fresh to me! And the Silver, though understated was also very nice. I think the paint quality and finish on the exterior of the car is very impressive. Much better than what we have been used to so far.

And my better half quipped. "Buy me one!"
Old 3rd July 2013, 16:01   #2108
BHPian

I just read on autocar that in the Ecosport AT while in S mode we can actually change gears (although in an odd way).

"The ‘S’ mode also lets you manually select gears but the medium is a bit unusual. There is a small button that’s all but hidden from view on the side of the gear lever. This allows gears to be clicked up and down. It may take a little getting used to but the system works well"

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Autos/...1-1084717.aspx

Any feedback on this?
Old 3rd July 2013, 16:12   #2109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
The engine response, power delivery, driveability are on another planet if you pitch the Ford 1.5l to the 1.2TSI. Its not fair to compare them. A well designed and tuned turbo petrol engine will feel better to drive than a naturally aspirated one.

You should drive the Ford Fiesta/Ecosport AT and VW GT back to back and tell us what you think. I said "dud" in terms of power. I no longer accept paper power any more...
Thank you for the insights. I had been waiting for this car for the past 1 year and I thought my (car booking) moment had come. I am really concerned now. This, coupled with the toppling incidents are making me think twice. The problem is the non-availability of AT cars in Bangalore. Please let me know where did you take the test drives. I have a 9yr old Santro AT, and I am quite satisfied with it. I thought a linear extrapolation of capabilities in EcoSport would serve me well.
Old 3rd July 2013, 16:17   #2110

has anyone td the 1.5 petrol manual!!
Old 3rd July 2013, 16:17   #2111
BHPian

Quote:

Thank you for the insights. I had been waiting for this car for the past 1 year and I thought my (car booking) moment had come. I am really concerned now. This, coupled with the toppling incidents are making me think twice. The problem is the non-availability of AT cars in Bangalore. Please let me know where did you take the test drives. I have a 9yr old Santro AT, and I am quite satisfied with it. I thought a linear extrapolation of capabilities in EcoSport would serve me well.
My take on this is that if you've been driving a tall boy such as Santro so far, your driving style already must be good enough to drive the ecosport. The ecosport is a tall hatch and needs to be driven as such. The AT might not be a spirited performer but it'll be much better than the Santro AT you're moving up from. It's your call at the end of the day but don't worry about the toppling incidents too much.
sharninder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 16:22   #2112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbly View Post
One query i had was during the test drive, i put the car in reverse and even though reverse parking sensors were installed, they didnt work. on checking with the SA, he said that the cars sensors were not connected and on the titanium trim and above the rear sensors are only audible alarms, for visual display on the MID it would come as a paid accessory. i dont think that is the case.
The rear parking sensors and driver window one-touch up/down features were not working in the Ecoboost TD vehicles at two dealerships. It did work on the diesel though. The SA had no clue about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revv_maniac View Post

So at last, the OTR has come down to Rs.10.03 lacs. As I got insurance for Rs.22K (Zero-Dep) from outside.
Excellent work, hope all of us start doing this and force the dealers to mend their ways. One question, when do you apply for insurance outside - after RTO regn. is done ? which means you take the delivery of the car and get insurance after a couple of days or can it be done earlier.

Has anyone been able to negotiate at least the insurance part from any of the Bangalore dealers while booking?
Old 3rd July 2013, 16:22   #2113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am really concerned now. This, coupled with the toppling incidents are making me think twice. The problem is the non-availability of AT cars in Bangalore. Please let me know where did you take the test drives.
Please ignore the stories about the EcoSport toppling. I've driven it and its going to take some heights of stupidity to be able to flip the Ford.

The AT with the 1.5l isn't the best pairing. It would have been better with the Ecoboost. You should be more concerned about when you get your Ecosport. As in delivery.

Do try the VW GT. You will love it. If you find it a bit too much, you can try the Vento/Rapid AT. These two cars are not exciting drives and should feel similar to the Ecosport/Fiesta AT except that the Fords comes with a superior gear box.

Ford test drive was at Elite Ford, Ring Road, Marthahalli. Please do not go now and if you must, go on a week day and go first thing in the morning. They are over loaded and over worked.

VW was again on Ring Road near KR Puram. Schedule and go as the GT TSI does rounds for other VW dealers too.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 16:24   #2114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
I took a TD of the Ecosport TDCi last Saturday and even though the TD was a short one, I was impressed by the car.

I've driven naturally aspirated petrols all my life and have only taken short drives on diesel vehicles belonging to my friends. What I loved about the TDCi was how petrol-like it was to drive. The turbo boost also was pretty linear and I felt right at home driving the car.
Same here. I've driven petrols all along, except for those borrowed drives from friends. I was tempted to go for the Ecoboost, but the falling rupee, political uncertainty can cause havoc on the fuel bills...I was always apprehensive about a diesel, but the TDCi engine felt super refined, and the NVH levels are fabulous, and the linear power delivery makes it very petrolish.
Old 3rd July 2013, 17:24   #2115
Senior - BHPian

For all concerned about the topple effect. Attaching a pic which shows another car toppling as well. If you see correctly its a demo vehicle based out of Bangalore.

As somebody told earlier any road going car can be toppled.Any car will have threshold of speed beyond which it is bound to topple.

A normal sensible drive would find it hard to topple.Where as a guy completely out of his mind would take seconds to topple any car. Afterall one can trust the amount of investment to design, time of testing that has been put into before releasing to the car to market.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-i1.jpg  

PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed