Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2013, 14:36   #1996
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Any comments on this....

On the AT model, it looks like there is no start stop button (based on the brochure) and the dealership guys are not very clear if it is going to be a key less entry (keep the key in your pocket) with an ignition key or it would be just a regular key with remote opening closing function? any idea?
Old 1st July 2013, 14:44   #1997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknair View Post
An interesting thing at Elite ford I saw last week was that they were jump starting the Ecosport display model (probably the battery ran out with every one switching on/off electrical stuffs) and they could not open the boot till the battery got charged. I would think there would be an emergency (manual) boot release from inside?
I just came back from there and saw same thing. Rear door is locked and there is absolutely no way to open it unless you have the key and the battery working !!

Also I can see that individual doors do not have the lock/unlock options. Seems to be electrically controlled, which also means no auto unlock in case of emergency !! Ford has only mentioned auto unlock on top end variant. Those who buy lower trims have to figure out a way to come out of the car in case of any emergency
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 15:20   #1998
BHPian

1. At most malls etc security guys now make you open the boot and check inside. Will they know how to open the ecosport boot? Chances are they will pull hard and damage it.
2. Do valet parking guys know how to start/stop these kind of cars?
Old 1st July 2013, 15:47   #1999
BHPian

Quote:
Any comments on this....

On the AT model, it looks like there is no start stop button (based on the brochure) and the dealership guys are not very clear if it is going to be a key less entry (keep the key in your pocket) with an ignition key or it would be just a regular key with remote opening closing function? any idea?
We were told at Harpreet Ford Gurgaon that the start stop feature will be there in the auto
Old 1st July 2013, 15:59   #2000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
I saw the same at Noida Ford this weekend. They had started the two showroom cars (diesel and ecoboost) and were trying to charge the battery. The cars were on for about 40 minutes inside a showroom with central AC

There was a guy trying to figure out if there is a way to keep the boot open and was contemplating placing something in the boot to prevent it from closing.

I just hope it was his ignorance, and there really is another way to open the boot from inside the car. It isn't a deal breaker but an annoying "feature".
I saw the same phenomenon in AVK Ford, Mumbai. Guys were jump-starting using a demo fiesta. Guess ford did not contemplate this issue. I feel its more of a dealer ship related issue and potential buyers should not worry..
Old 1st July 2013, 16:09   #2001
BHPian

Hello All,
I had an opportunity to test drive the Ford Ecosport 1.5D titanium edition. Here are a few impressions i got from the Short TD in JP Nagar Ford.
I will not cover all the topics which have been spoken about in the review. Just My Impressions.
1. The car feels big, i drive a Hyundai santro, and this car feels like driving a tank.
2. Steering Position is more like a sedan and less like an SUV (My opinion).
3. Music System is awesome for a stock Factory Unit.
4. Clutch Pedal action interferes with the Steering Column. I wear size 9(IND) shoe. My toe kept touching the steering column, and while i was holding the clutch in rush hour traffic and turning the steering i could notice it rub against my shoe. Too be honest its quite irritating as i have never had this occur to me before in the numerous cars i have driven.
5. Steering is Very Very Light, Superb for City Driving, although there isnt enough power in the car for it too zip around in gaps.
6. Power surge non-existent, you can feel the speed after it catches momentum.
7. I am looking at the white color option, the color was more on the cream side.
8. The rear seat is extremely comfortable.
9. Interiors are nice, dashboard has new age feel too it.
10. Gearshift feeling is good, gear knob is right size with proper height. (comparing it to the thar we have, feels little low.)
11. Due to the sedan like seating, difficult to see the hood for my height person (5'8).
12. Couldnt Test it on the Highway will hold my breath till then.

Thanks
nofear5611 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 16:22   #2002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srinivas C View Post
1. At most malls etc security guys now make you open the boot and check inside. Will they know how to open the ecosport boot? Chances are they will pull hard and damage it.
2. Do valet parking guys know how to start/stop these kind of cars?
Hahaha I thought exactly the same thing about the boot release but anyway cars these days allow you to open the boot from inside. Valet parking guys however can easily handle anything. The last time I went to a club, the chap seemed to know how to start/stop, engage reverse, lock the car and unlock it using the request sensors and he also surprised me by making use of the seat memory function and just casually pressing my button as he got out. That mind you, was in a car he probably never saw before (Kizashi) and by the looks of it, the EcoSport is pretty popular and will be a common sight so I don't expect that owners will have any such issues with the car.

As long as it aint French eh?

Last edited by IshaanIan : 1st July 2013 at 16:25.
Old 1st July 2013, 16:43   #2003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srinivas C View Post
1. At most malls etc security guys now make you open the boot and check inside. Will they know how to open the ?
That is a problem which I faced couple of days back at Marriott, Jaipur. Went there with friends for lunch, while checking my storme, the guy couldn't open the boot, couldn't locate the boot release on the hatch door! And finally came to ask me to open it.
I wonder, why was it required in storme anyway?
Old 1st July 2013, 17:17   #2004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by limited-edition View Post
Just confused, can some one start car by depressing break and hitting start button to start car? with out a( normal or key-less) key. If so, won't it be a huge security issue?. Some one can just break glass, depress break, hit/hold button for few minutes.. and drive away the car.
I never mentioned there is no key. There will always be a key/device that enables the start feature when you are within certain range of the car. It may not look like a key though. In fact the key fob may even have a start button, for remote starting, in addition to remote lock/unlock, boot release and locator/alarm switches.
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 17:21   #2005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchax View Post
I believe the shoulder space issue is cropping up every now and then. I do not know why car sites, forums and magazines like Autocar, Top Gear, Carwale, etc. do not list Shoulder space as a basic statistical information. In conjunction with knee / leg room (which thankfully the Ecosport has a plenty), the shoulder or hip space is a major indication of the overall cabin comfort of rear passengers. I also found the 2nd row a bit more cramped than I would like, especially for the 8-10L category car purchase range. Having said that, for 80% of the average trips incurred per month, which would not be more than 25km one way, I do think that 3 medium built persons can sit rather comfortably (snug... but comfortable). It's the once-in-a-while family vacation road-trp to Goa with your heavily-built in-laws that's going to be a bummer!
I too feel that it's meant for 4 not 5. It will be a squeeze for the 3rd person at the back. What makes it worse for that person is the hump down the middle which is quite pronounced, unlike say, in the Amaze. In fact the lack of rear space + the dark, gloomy which further makes the space look cramped is what put me off. Otherwise the exterior styling and road presence is what attracted me (and most others, I am sure).
Old 1st July 2013, 17:29   #2006
Senior - BHPian

I am yet to get a test drive after two visits to near by dealership
There seem to be a long wait. First visit, I was told 30-40 days waiting and today its 3 months waiting.

I am skeptical to book a car before taking a test drive. so holding on to my decision.

When you say power surge is non existent, Does it mean you could feel the torque at low RPM(Which is good) or the car lacks pickup ?

Flat torque(or power at low RPM) is anyday better than that surge past 2000RPM since in city limits we need torque in lower RPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear5611 View Post
Hello All,
I had an opportunity to test drive the Ford Ecosport 1.5D titanium edition. Here are a few impressions i got from the Short TD in JP Nagar Ford.
I will not cover all the topics which have been spoken about in the review. Just My Impressions.
1. The car feels big, i drive a Hyundai santro, and this car feels like driving a tank.
2. Steering Position is more like a sedan and less like an SUV (My opinion).
3. Music System is awesome for a stock Factory Unit.
4. Clutch Pedal action interferes with the Steering Column. I wear size 9(IND) shoe. My toe kept touching the steering column, and while i was holding the clutch in rush hour traffic and turning the steering i could notice it rub against my shoe. Too be honest its quite irritating as i have never had this occur to me before in the numerous cars i have driven.
5. Steering is Very Very Light, Superb for City Driving, although there isnt enough power in the car for it too zip around in gaps.
6. Power surge non-existent, you can feel the speed after it catches momentum.
7. I am looking at the white color option, the color was more on the cream side.
8. The rear seat is extremely comfortable.
9. Interiors are nice, dashboard has new age feel too it.
10. Gearshift feeling is good, gear knob is right size with proper height. (comparing it to the thar we have, feels little low.)
11. Due to the sedan like seating, difficult to see the hood for my height person (5'8).
12. Couldnt Test it on the Highway will hold my breath till then.

Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 17:49   #2007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
An interesting thing at Elite ford I saw last week was that they were jump starting the Ecosport display model (probably the battery ran out with every one switching on/off electrical stuffs) and they could not open the boot till the battery got charged. I would think there would be an emergency (manual) boot release from inside?
If this was on Saturday 29th June, then I was at the showroom the same time you were. The battery was down so they couldn't open the tailgate is what all sales executives mentioned. Later they got a figo to jump start the car and open the tailgate. As one of the sales exec was standing there to paste an A4 sized 'Don't close this door' note got busy answering a customer's urgent query, someone had forced shut the door already (in spite of keeping a thermocol piece at the bottom right side of the boot closing lock). Poor se was frustrated but he did well not to exhibit it. He was actually holding the paper note very close to the door. The Figo had also left by then. Ditto someone did the same on the other silver demo model as well.

From what I understood, there is no manual 'boot release' button on the inside (i searched the front driver seat for it as well and couldn't find one) but I could be wrong (didn't do a thorough search).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I am yet to get a test drive after two visits to near by dealership
There seem to be a long wait. First visit, I was told 30-40 days waiting and today its 3 months waiting.

I am skeptical to book a car before taking a test drive. so holding on to my decision.
30-40 days waiting for a td? and then 3 months for it? If it's the TD you're indeed referring to, then you've got to be kidding. Whose feeding these rubbish info to you?

Not sure where you went but if you want a td of the ecoboost or the diesel, go to Elite Ford in Marathahalli ORR, meet either Marc or Yogesh and one of the gents will gladly arrange it for you. Wait times is atleast 2-3 hours at max.

Tip i was given was to go early morning at 9.30am and they could do a quick slot for you (i was promised that). Hope that helps.

Last edited by k_ajay : 1st July 2013 at 17:55.
Old 1st July 2013, 18:06   #2008
BHPian

Guys, spoke to the sale guy in Mumbai to check the tentative time before I can get my hands on AT. He said 5 months. I was like whatttt?

I booked before the launch, now it's clear that I cannot wait so longer. I first tried to buy Fiesta AT which supposedly also delayed, hence booked Ecosport AT.

Looks like finally I will bid farewell to FORD. I have been loyal customer of FORD and I tried in every respect to be with them. Looks liKe its time for me to look elsewhere.

I am jumping off the FORD brand wagon. I sent email for processing refund of 50K. Since my booking was prior to launch I am getting all that back.

So everyone thanks for all information and help till now.

FORD's loss is going to be HONDA / VW gain.

There is light at the end of the tunnel if I get 1L discount on Dec 2012 Style AT. I am dreaming.
Old 1st July 2013, 18:07   #2009
BHPian

An update to the complaint I had logged with Ford regarding Elite Ford's insistence on insurance through them or they would not allocate a car to me. They had promised to resolve the issue today and promptly called me. But there is not much "resolving" happening. The ford customer care guy called and said he would send me an email confirming that insurance and any accessories are optional. I told him that is not the whole point. Even the dealer agrees it is optional but is trying to hoodwink me by threatening that he would not make allocation of the vehicle to me if I did not buy insurance from him. He kept repeating like a parrot that there is nothing he can do about dealer allocation as that is completely under the dealer's discretion. I asked him how he can plainly say he cant do anything when the majority of the dealers are doing something that is outright illegal. He kept repeating how Ford does not have a say in the allocation.

Finally, I got exasperated and asked him to send the god forsaken mail saying insurance or accessories are optional though I don't see how that will help me if the dealer decides to play games with the allocation. So, if things are not settled amicably with the dealer, I guess I have no option but consumer court.
sup? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 18:47   #2010
BHPian

Well. I went for a test drive yesterday evening at Harpreet Ford opposite Bhikaji Cama at Sufdarjung.

It was a free for all mela there, all kinds of people with kids in tow like they have come for a picnic. Small showroom was extremely crowded.

There was a coupon system for a small test drive with about 1 hrs wait. I chucked the test drive & got seated at the rear with a person having a test drive.

Ride quality is stiff though rear leg room is decent and so is the headroom. I found the ingress and legroom at the rear to be much better than the Duster.

A.C. is a chiller and the acceleration felt decent.

Even though I am thinking of selling my beloved 1.8s civic and buying a smaller chic looking diesel like Ecosport but the 5-6 months waiting has been putting me off.

Now , am thinking will wait till the initial hoopla settles down and have seen more of these cars on the road.

Loved the Kinetic blue color though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks