Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2013, 23:58   #1921
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Spent the entire day hopping from one dealer to another in the hope of booking the Ecosport but alas disappointed. No one is ready to take a petrol ecosport booking citing waiting period of 12 to 15 months. On prodding further, they tell me that Ford is yet to start production of petrol models and have no clarity on when it might happen. They are selling only the diesel and although the wait period quoted is 4-5 months, it should be available much earlier.

Disappointed and frustrated with Ford for bringing the models only on paper. Wonder why this strategy? if margins were the issue they could have removed some of the junk features, or could have priced the top variants higher and, made only them available.

Last edited by msmatic : 30th June 2013 at 00:00. Reason: corrected spelling
Old 30th June 2013, 00:10   #1922
Senior - BHPian

Was just doing some calculations on the waiting periods and to give you a flashback, i booked my diesel titanium through Harpreet, Moti Nagar and my booking number is 553 (read above that it has crossed 980+ now), they told me a waiting of 3 months but it seems next to impossible that the car will come before 4-5 months.

If we assume that Ford produces 6000 cars a month and they have around 260 dealers (read online), now if even 60-70 dealers are in small towns where Ecosport would hardly sell or sell in less numbers then that leaves us with a staggering 190 dealers and with a production capacity of 6000 it amounts to 31 cars per dealer/per month, in metro cities with big dealers this may more than double 70-80 cars a month so that leaves atleast me with a good 7 month wait.

I wish Ford stops bookings now and cater to customers who have already booked, this is another Swift in the making, 6 months wait for a car in 2013 is
Old 30th June 2013, 00:37   #1923
Senior - BHPian

I really hate this waiting thing. Why can't manufacturers simply produce enough cars and prepare their inventory before actual launch? Or they should first increase their production capacity and then take the plunge in the market.

The kind of sensation created these days are enjoyed by the companies but one never knows when the situation may actually change.
Old 30th June 2013, 00:56   #1924
BHPian

I just booked the Ecosport Diesel Titanium Sea Gray color.

Can anyone tell me which is a better deal. The Titanium or the Titanium (O) ?? I can change the option by monday.
There is a difference of 45k amongst the two. Are leather seats and airbags worth the money ?

Also why are the dealers charging with Handling charges of 6.5k, compulsory accessories of 19k, personal insurance of 1.3k, insurance with a premium of abt 30k with no option to chose your insurance company and zero depreciation of 6k ?
This amounts to roughly 40k of unnecessary compulsion. Has anyone else experienced the same. Can anything be done about it ? Has anyone tried complaining ?
deepjaju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2013, 05:28   #1925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post

Can anyone tell me which is a better deal. The Titanium or the Titanium (O) ?? I can change the option by monday.
There is a difference of 45k amongst the two. Are leather seats and airbags worth the money ?

Also why are the dealers charging with Handling charges of 6.5k, compulsory accessories of 19k, personal insurance of 1.3k, insurance with a premium of abt 30k with no option to chose your insurance company and zero depreciation of 6k ?
This amounts to roughly 40k of unnecessary compulsion. Has anyone else experienced the same. Can anything be done about it ? Has anyone tried complaining ?
If you see one of my earlier posts, I mentioned how the dealer at Elite Ford tried to fleece me with his insurance and accessories pack. I shot off an email to Ford. They replied and the latest update is that Ford customer care called me yesterday and said they would resolve this on Monday by putting me on a con call with the dealer. I had already got a call from the customer relationship manager of elite ford asking me what the issue was. I clearly explained to him that I want the option to buy my own insurance and would not buy any of his accessories. He agreed to the accessories part but was still trying to insist on his own insurance. I told him no. I hope things get resolved once and for all on Monday. If not I will see them in consumer court. It is high time we Indians stood up for what is right. I would advise all of you facing these issues to fight it. Paying 10k extra might not be an issue for many of us who r plonking 10 big ones on a car. But this is a matter of principle!
sup? is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th June 2013, 06:45   #1926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmatic View Post
Spent the entire day hopping from one dealer to another in the hope of booking the Ecosport but alas disappointed. No one is ready to take a petrol ecosport booking citing waiting period of 12 to 15 months. On prodding further, they tell me that Ford is yet to start production of petrol models and have no clarity on when it might happen. They are selling only the diesel and although the wait period quoted is 4-5 months, it should be available much earlier.

Disappointed and frustrated with Ford for bringing the models only on paper. Wonder why this strategy? if margins were the issue they could have removed some of the junk features, or could have priced the top variants higher and, made only them available.
It is a case of Ford showing the carrot. Nothing else.

I mean, come on, as 1-year waiting period? Are you selling a Bugatti Veyron? Or a hand-made Aston Martin? A 1-year waiting period is too looooog a period for this dynamic and upcoming Indian car industry. There will be other launches by then to sway you away from the EcoSport. Or make you rethink. Your budget and requirements might even change by then.

I say, if Ford did not have the cars in a reasonable time frame, why publish the prices like "EcoSport launched at 5.6 lacs?" This is misleading. The headlines should read "EcoSport launched at 6.69 lac (ex-Delhi)." Because this (the diesel one) is the car they are selling. Not the 5.6 lacs one.

Renault did a similar thing with the Duster. They had published the Petrol prices as a launch price to hit the headlines.

And as long as we customers show our weakness and our herd mentality, manufactures will continue to do it to us. Maruti did it with Swift. Renault with the Duster. And now Ford with the EcoSport. Because all of us are dying to have a piece of the gizmo-laden hardware in our driveway before our neighbor gets one.

And all this as the cost of being bullied by a Foreign company that our government gave our money to (read subsidy) to make a sub 4-meter car.

Further, there is no price protection by Ford for those who book early. And in 12 to 15 months or even 10 months, there will be price rises for sure. And for 360 days you wait for the car to come, Ford will be sitting fat on your 50K deposit + interest from it.

Last edited by johy : 30th June 2013 at 07:00.
johy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2013, 06:58   #1927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I think Airbags are worth the difference involved.

No dealer can pressurise you to take paid accessories or insurance mandatorily from them. You can highlight this to Ford's customer care by asking a simple question on email:"Is it mandatory to buy insurance from the dealer"? The response will be "No". You can take this printout and show it to the dealer.
However, you run the risk of missing out on your chance or being pushed back in the waiting line when the allocation of vehicles comes about.

Last edited by hrman : 30th June 2013 at 06:59.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2013, 08:05   #1928
BHPian

Quote:

I think its a steal at 45k more for 4 more air bags , leather seats and speakers with tweeters . Go for it !
Old 30th June 2013, 08:20   #1929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post
I think its a steal at 45k more for 4 more air bags , leather seats and speakers with tweeters . Go for it !
But, do you think those side curtain airbags are worthy enough to pay that price and lose grab handles for all the doors? Because I feel passengers clearly feel their absence in an enthusiastic driving.

Talking about leather seats and speakers with tweeters, you should get them at 20k maximum. Also, you'll have a choice of selecting your seat cover unlike in the top variant where we have to live with the stock ones.

I'm sorry, no offense. It's just my opinion.
Old 30th June 2013, 08:54   #1930
Senior - BHPian

Drove the TDCi and EcoBoost yesterday. The demo cars inside the showroom was idling as the battery was down. I thought it was the 3 pot EcoBoost and was surprised to see the TDCi badge. The Diesel is very quiet inside out. The wheel arches have a felt like lining on the inside.

The steering is light, no question about that. I drove back in our 2011 Swift afterwards and Swift' steering felt rather heavy. But the EcoSport is more like the Polo than then the i20. I took the car on the highway and the EcoSport was very composed at 80+ and took the big potholes rather well. It rides very well, a bit firm but very good for a car riding on 16".

The engine is just like what we have on the new Fiesta. Very good bottom end and linear acceleration. Loved the telescopic adjustment on the steering. It is very easy to find the best posture and the front seats are awesome.

The EcoBoost doesn't feel like a 1L engine at all. It packs a punch but I felt the engine was rather strained when I gave it the beans. Between the two, I would pick the TDCi over the EcoBoost. I think the EcoSport is a little heavy and too flat faced for that little wonder of a motor.

The dealer didn't force on any accessories, but was firm on the insurance. In KL, the hot colours are White, Black and Grey. Delivery expected in 3 months for any variant, any colour. The Panther Black looks amazing.

Here is the price list for KL.
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-p1040964.jpg
deetjohn is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th June 2013, 09:50   #1931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post
But, do you think those side curtain airbags are worthy enough to pay that price and lose grab handles for all the doors? Because I feel passengers clearly feel their absence in an enthusiastic driving.

Talking about leather seats and speakers with tweeters, you should get them at 20k maximum. Also, you'll have a choice of selecting your seat cover unlike in the top variant where we have to live with the stock ones.

Madhav, Any half decent Leather Seats will set you back by Rs 25- 30 K. These are not seat covers but leather seats.
Old 30th June 2013, 09:55   #1932
BHPian

Quote:

Airbags are worth the money, leather sets too. The side airbags can save the lives of your co passengers. But if you are not satisfied with the quality of leather, you can't install seat covers. All said and done, This is your money and you are the one who is going to relish the car. So decide between VFM and happiness. All the best mate.

Cheers,

Achyuth

Last edited by Achyuth Vaibhav : 30th June 2013 at 09:57.
Old 30th June 2013, 10:00   #1933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I really hate this waiting thing. Why can't manufacturers simply produce enough cars and prepare their inventory before actual launch? Or they should first increase their production capacity and then take the plunge in the market.

The kind of sensation created these days are enjoyed by the companies but one never knows when the situation may actually change.

Bluevolt the manufacturers can never predict the demand very accurately. The XUV had hug waiting lists and was selling around 5000 units /month. The same has slipped to under 3000 units. The initial months always see a rush, which tapers off as the novelty of the product wears off. The only exception that I can recollect is the Swift twins. Manufacturers can and have boosted their manufacturing capacity once they believe they can consistently sell in big numbers. Ford had built up an inventry of 5000 cars. How many cars can you stock. They take an enormous amount of space and it is lot of blocked money for the company and the dealers.

SOme of the eager beavers have gone in for bookong the car before the launch and have benefitted.

I like many others chose to wait for the official launch and will have to wait for the car for the next 3-4 months>
Old 30th June 2013, 10:11   #1934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I test drove the EcoBoost variant at Metro Ford this morning.

I wonder:
a) If a tire upsize will improve the steering feel?
b) If the steering's weightage can be increased, since its an EPS?

Just changing the tyre will make alot of difference in feel. Eg. I changed my Santro's front tyres from MRF ZVTS to Goodyear Duraplus. Now I get Ford like steering feedback.

This is mainly due to addnl. ply in the tread & can expect longer life also.

ZVTS
Sidewall - 2 polyester
Tread - 2 steel+ 1 polyester

Duraplus
Sidewall - 2 polyester
Tread - 2 steel+ 1 polyester + 2 polyamide

So it could be just a matter of finding a suitable tyre.
sridhar-v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2013, 10:39   #1935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post

Air bags can be a life saver whereas grab handles won't. I would rather have additional safety instead.

Leather seats will easily cost you 25-30 k alone.

Adding tweeters to a music system will enhance the crispness in sound of the already amazing unit EcoSport has.even if u wish to change your speakers later on that will also cost you 4-5k.

All this at a mere additional cost of 45 , which is another 4% of the cost makes a lot of sense.
niks_devil666 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks