Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2013, 22:32   #2476
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post

I believe the 1.0 liter Ecoboost engine in India will also have similar characteristics so guys don’t expect very high mileage figure in Indian city driving conditions.
I too drove the US Escape with the 1.6L Ecoboost engine (got a nice new rental Escape with this engine last time) and I agree with you - the engine is butter smooth, torquey and punchy. But then, when I test drove the 1.0 Ecoboost in India, it was a very different experience. The engine felt anemic and strained to move the bulk of the Ecosport.

I was trying to do some analysis why this is so. Although the Ecosport is lighter than the Escape, it is not much lighter. On the other hand, 1.0 Ecoboost engine is substantially smaller and way less powerful compared to the 1.6 L Ecoboost.

The Escape with 1.6 Ecoboost has weighs 1588 KG and has 178 hp and 250 Nm of Torque. The Ecoboost weighs 1259 KG and has 123 hp with 170 NM Torque. So the Escape has 112 HP/Ton while Ecosport has 97 HP/Ton. More importantly, Escape boasts 157 NM/Ton while Ecosport makes do with 135 NM/Ton.

These numbers probably partly explain the vast difference in terms of how powerful and swift the Escape with 1.6L Ecoboost feels versus the Ecosport with the 1.0 Ecoboost. How I wish Ford had put the larger Ecoboost engine in the Ecosport. It would have been a rocket!

I ended up changing my booking from the Ecoboost variant to the Diesel variant after the test drives.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 10th July 2013 at 22:33.
Old 11th July 2013, 01:09   #2477
Senior - BHPian

Dear friends,

Just wanted to share my experience regarding compulsory accessories.I took delivery of my ecosport on 26th of June at 2pm from Mody Ford, Hyderabad.

I was not forced for any compulsory accessories though I took the mudflaps and the trunk tray as I needed them.

It was only later that I added the other accessories after I did an intense follow up with the dealer regarding availability.

One more thing, about the IVRM with camara is a day night automatic mirror with a built in screen and a very ordinary camara.Heard the supplier is Autocop , can any body please confirm this information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Thanks for posting the pictures. The ambient light is now easier to look at. I assume the ambient light and the illuminated scuff plates are wired to light up only when the front/rear doors are opened, is this right?

Did you get the 'rear spoiler with stop lamp' as an accessory or is a standard fitment on the Titanium and/or Titanium+ Option variants? Appreciate your help.

Also, seeing how D-I-Y oriented you are, I am expecting you would be one of the first to find how to retro-fit the DRL light.
Spoiler and stop lamp are standard on titanium and optional
You are right about illuminated scuff plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport View Post
I do not understand the point in "modifying" the already good-looking ecosport. The bonnet guard looks horrible. The stock alloys are already good-looking, and the new ones does not look one bit better than the stock alloys. And the 17 inchers are going to break his back.
I agree with you about the back and the bug guard doesnt even fit properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
That sounds suspect. If I'm not wrong, I think members 1 or 2 members who booked in early June (much prior to launch) have already got delivery of their EcoSport in Hy'bad and B'luru. Elsewhere in India too.

3 months waiting for someone who booked on June 14th doesn't sound right when others similarly placed are having their vehicles in their hand. You will have to investigate and get tough with the Elite Ford guys.

In B'luru itself, I'm seeing varying prices being quoted for accessories. IMO, Ford should regulate this and ensure the differences are very minimal. Spare wheel cover with Elite Ford is 8175 inc tax and with Lathangi, the same costs 10,485. Rear wing spoiler with Elite Ford is 5775 whereas with Lathangi Ford, the same costs 8900. Steep differences.
Totally agree with you!!!! Ford are you reading this.
Old 11th July 2013, 02:31   #2478
BHPian

Mine was the 11th car in Chennai to be delivered(informed by SA), loan process and RTO delayed it for me. Else could have been the first, since I booked it in the 2nd week of June. Nevertheless have not been able to locate the other 10 Ecosports around so far

Been with the car for a week and driven around 1400 kms so far, including a chennai --> B'luru trip thrown in.

- Massive crowd puller.
- Effortless Video game type of steering but not scary in highways.
- Ride within 40kmph throws people around in the car, definitely unlike sedans.
- Headlight throw and intensity of the beam is miles ahead of any hatchback and all of those Budget sedans with their Bu**ts chopped off (No offense to anyone, i got a Dzire myself ) Powerful Fog lamps unlike those namesake one's in cars <10 lacs.
- Seats are firm, pathetic city roads will test your bottom's tolerance.(courtesy : its suspension and slow speeds in city)
- Anything above 1350 rpm pulls this Wannabe SUMO champion neatly, without any complaints or wanting of more power.
- Intuitive Microsoft SYNC, already addicted to it and miss them in my Dzire(whenever i get to drive that).
- back bench is comfy, no one complained throughout the Chennai --> B'lure --> Chennai trip. 6" footers sat comfortably.

Here we go :
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-20130706_061031.jpg  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-20130706_061005.jpg  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-20130706_060944.jpg  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-20130706_061125.jpg  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-20130706_061226.jpg  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-20130706_061252.jpg  

Last edited by revv_maniac : 11th July 2013 at 02:47. Reason: Adding few points
revv_maniac is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 08:38   #2479
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revv_maniac View Post
Mine was the 11th car in Chennai to be delivered(informed by SA), loan process and RTO delayed it for me. Else could have been the first, since I booked it in the 2nd week of June.
Question - what is the class of vehicle as shown on your RC book/card?

I'm curious as to what Ford have homologated the EcoSport as. For example, my Getz has its class as: LMVCAR (Light Motor Vehicle - Car).
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 08:47   #2480
BHPian

Quote:
Mine was the 11th car in Chennai to be delivered :
Congrats on your Ecosport!! Awesome color. Me thinks its one of the best colors on the Ecosport.
You need to take those plastic covers off the seat. Like someone quoted in one of the forums "Having plastic covers over the seat is like wearing a condom to work!!"
shivasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 09:02   #2481
BHPian

Quote:
Mine was the 11th car in Chennai to be delivered(informed by SA), loan process and RTO delayed it for me. Else could have been the first, since I booked it in the 2nd week of June. Nevertheless have not been able to locate the other 10 Ecosports around so far
:
Wonderful! Congrats!!

One point: Yours is a diesel Titanium model and in your photos the interiors are beige. Well, my understanding was that Titanium comes with black/gray interiors. Can someone please clarify this??

Last edited by pamishra : 11th July 2013 at 09:18.
Old 11th July 2013, 09:07   #2482
BHPian

Quote:
Here is the blue Ecosport.
http://overdrive.in/reviews/2013-for...tic-road-test/

And you can read Overdrive's automatic review as well. 13.4s to 100, although not too quick, isn't bad for a 1.2 tonne heavy car.
A little rattled to hear that the build quality of interiors ain't that good.
Old 11th July 2013, 09:17   #2483
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Here we go :
Congrats on your new car. Looks awesome!

Did you buy through MPL Ford? I have also booked through them as early as May end but still no word on exact dates.

Did you take the essential package, extended 3rd and 4th year warranty and insurance through dealership? I do not want these items and was wondering about MPL's stance on this.
Old 11th July 2013, 09:34   #2484
BHPian

The day I had test driven the compact SUV from Ford I noticed that out of the three cars parked side by side in white, red and black , the black was looking biggest of the three.

Moreover the interiors of option pack look classy as compared to other variants.

Did anyone notice the same?
Old 11th July 2013, 09:40   #2485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I too drove the US Escape with the 1.6L Ecoboost engine (got a nice new rental Escape with this engine last time) and I agree with you - the engine is butter smooth, torquey and punchy. But then, when I test drove the 1.0 Ecoboost in India, it was a very different experience. The engine felt anemic and strained to move the bulk of the Ecosport.

I was trying to do some analysis why this is so. Although the Ecosport is lighter than the Escape, it is not much lighter. On the other hand, 1.0 Ecoboost engine is substantially smaller and way less powerful compared to the 1.6 L Ecoboost.

The Escape with 1.6 Ecoboost has weighs 1588 KG and has 178 hp and 250 Nm of Torque. The Ecoboost weighs 1259 KG and has 123 hp with 170 NM Torque. So the Escape has 112 HP/Ton while Ecosport has 97 HP/Ton. More importantly, Escape boasts 157 NM/Ton while Ecosport makes do with 135 NM/Ton.

These numbers probably partly explain the vast difference in terms of how powerful and swift the Escape with 1.6L Ecoboost feels versus the Ecosport with the 1.0 Ecoboost. How I wish Ford had put the larger Ecoboost engine in the Ecosport. It would have been a rocket!

I ended up changing my booking from the Ecoboost variant to the Diesel variant after the test drives.
Actually the Kuga (European version of Escape) would fit my requirements perfectly. There was talk on this thread of Ford launching it after Ecosport & an assembly line being prepared in their factory. Hopefully Kuga will not be put on the backburner now.
Old 11th July 2013, 09:41   #2486
BHPian

Quote:
Here is the blue Ecosport.
http://overdrive.in/reviews/2013-for...tic-road-test/

And you can read Overdrive's automatic review as well. 13.4s to 100, although not too quick, isn't bad for a 1.2 tonne heavy car.
Rattles at less than 5000kms! Yikes! Ford cars are known for their build quality and the Ecosport seems like an exception. My almost 7 year Palio hardly has any rattles.

The high-handed attitude of Ford and it's dealers is another thing that is making me do a rethink on the Ecosport. The Ecosport is a very good value proposition and I love it but I'm not sure if I have the time to deal with the dealers and the car's bad build quality.

When I TD'd the Ecosport, I felt the plastics weren't that great but they seemed well put together.

After waiting for a year for this car, should I wait even more or should I just buy the Linea since that's the other car I like and with the discounts going on, it seems like a good deal. Really confused right now.
Old 11th July 2013, 10:07   #2487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

- Massive crowd puller.
- Effortless Video game type of steering but not scary in highways.

Here we go :
Congrats mate

Nice to see another proud ecosport owner.Keep revving and sharing your experiences.

Some more facts I wanted to add

1)Ecosport is equipped with a lane changing indicator mode where in the indicator blnks thrice and goes of by itself (to activate slightly move the indicator stock but not all the way up or down)

2) suppose you have the music system on high volume and you are in the reverse gear, as soon as you reach an obstacle the sensors start beeping and meen white the volume of the speakers is attenuated to facilitate us to hear the warning beeps.

3)The tail gate needs to be opened only by 30 % , the rest will open by itself!!

4)Please do not cross the 2000 rpm before engine run in, also wait for 30 sec to 60 sec before the engine is switched off after your journey.Similarly wait for the same time after youstart the car.

5) Monsoon is here and ecosport has poor underbody protection, get your self a good anti corrosion treatment.I recommend 3M gold with a warranty of 5 years, will post the pictures with the procedure done on my car later.There is a 1000 rupees monsoon off now in 3M car care for anti corrosion and paint protection system

6)Whenever you are on a call and you switch off the power button (usually the engine is switched off+music system and sync switch off) the waits till you finish your phone call, cool idea Ford!!!!!

Feel free to clarfy any doubts you have .cheers!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img20130710wa0005.jpg  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img20130710wa0006.jpg  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img20130710wa0007.jpg  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img20130710wa0009.jpg  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img20130710wa0010.jpg  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img20130710wa0011.jpg  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img20130710wa0012.jpg  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img20130710wa0008.jpg  

Last edited by ecosport rules : 11th July 2013 at 10:21. Reason: to add pictures
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 10:28   #2488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post

1)Ecosport is equipped with a lane changing indicator mode where in the indicator blnks thrice and goes of by itself (to activate slightly move the indicator stock but not all the way up or down)

6)Whenever you are on a call and you switch off the power button (usually the engine is switched off+music system and sync switch off) the waits till you finish your phone call, cool idea Ford!!!!!

Feel free to clarfy any doubts you have .cheers!!!
No. 1 & 6 are available in Figo as well since its launch. No. 6 is really useful, I need it many a times while attending meetings in car

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th July 2013 at 19:47. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 10:43   #2489
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

2) suppose you have the music system on high volume and you are in the reverse gear, as soon as you reach an obstacle the sensors start beeping and meen white the volume of the speakers is attenuated to facilitate us to hear the warning beeps.
Both these features are also available in the Figo.
The volume control feature is known as "automatic volume control. It also increases the volume to the user specified level as the speed of the car increases. The parameters are preset by Ford with relation to the engine Rpm and the Speedometer. It also reduces the volume of the music when the speed of the car reduces.
Therefore after the highway run, when you pull onto a Toll plaza, the volume automatically reduces and then when you pull away, the volume raises back to the original level

Quote:
4)Please do not cross the 2000 rpm before engine run in, also wait for 30 sec to 60 sec before the engine is switched off after your journey.Similarly wait for the same time after youstart the car.
More information available on the following link. Very informative
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...rged-cars.html

Quote:
There were reports from Figo users that on the above mentioned scenarios, even after the call is disconnected, the music system will continue to play even when the ignition is 'OFF'.
That is, if you switch off the car whilst you are on a call, the call will continue. But, if you walk away from the car for a break, once you return, you will find your music system still playing.
I do not know whether Ford has addressed this issue in the Ecosport

Cheers!! Enjoy the wonderful vehicle
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 10:44   #2490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamishra View Post
Wonderful! Congrats!!

One point: Yours is a diesel Titanium model and in your photos the interiors are beige. Well, my understanding was that Titanium comes with black/gray interiors. Can someone please clarify this??
Ambiente, trend, titanium come with black and light grey interiors, titanium opt come with black and dark grey combination

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post
The day I had test driven the compact SUV from Ford I noticed that out of the three cars parked side by side in white, red and black , the black was looking biggest of the three.

Moreover the interiors of option pack look classy as compared to other variants.

Did anyone notice the same?

Definitely the titanium optional 's interiors look the best, also I think white and silver look the biggest of the lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Question - what is the class of vehicle as shown on your RC book/card?

I'm curious as to what Ford have homologated the EcoSport as. For example, my Getz has its class as: LMVCAR (Light Motor Vehicle - Car).
Hey even the Fortuner is LMVCAR, in fact all passenger cars are.I think only heavy commercial vehicles are clssified as HMV and you require a separate licence for them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks