Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2013, 10:33   #2536
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by revv_maniac View Post
Just buy the Ecosport, if you are waiting for a better car than any previously owned car < 15 lacs in India.
No offence but this is purely a subjective statement. I think you should change it to < 10 lacs. I have driven the Ecosport and I have driven every other car < 15 lacs and I can say for sure there are couple of cars in the 10-15L bracket which are much better than Ecosport. To name a few, Vento diesel, Linea T-Jet (BTW which is now available for < 10L), Laura TSI with discounts (absolute smasher of a car). There is a reason Ford has priced Ecosport below 10L because it knows the limitations of this car. Just adding gizmos shouldn't make a car great (read i20 ) IMHO.
In that sense, even below 10L I found Figo's handling to be miles ahead of Ecosport and then you also have the Polo GT TSI which will blow away any hatchback currently available in India (after all Ecosport is a jacked up hatch, isn't it )

Last edited by floyd.bell : 12th July 2013 at 10:41.
floyd.bell is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 10:36   #2537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by limited-edition View Post
Hmm... I have different perspective regarding the recall. Ford is ready to acknowledge their mistake, they are fixing the mistake via a re-call, which is good. Now, consider the case of Ford not going for a recall. There will be customers who may come up with an issue, many may not face the issue, then can replace the module if customer shows up with a complaint or they can do it when customers come up for their first service which will be due in one month. Instead of doing this Ford was ready to accept mistake and they called in for a recall.. its a good thing :-).

Recall means there is fault on manufacturers side, I agree. But its good to have the manufacturer back you when you are in trouble.
This is a better post to respond to. The GPCM (glow plug control module) fitment isn't a 'mistake' per se, because the component is still found in the same location on all EcoSports sold everywhere in the world.

Ford missed considering a change to a location inside the vehicle for India, specially as we experience moderate to heavy monsoon in different parts of our country and they anticipated 'moisture' related problems. Credit should be given to the individual/team that found this now rather than post monsoon.

It could have been thought of earlier and should have been corrected before the launch itself so that early adopters don't get disappointed and worried about their car, but I still appreciate Ford for calling it out so early to ensure the product experience doesn't turn out sore. They would also be well aware of their reputational damage caused by a recall on a car barely 2 weeks into customer's hands.

This proactive recall is better than customer's GPCM going kaput and irate customer's landing up at Ford's ASC. Considering the situation, I'm inclined to say smart move by Ford. This might earn some good will from the customers who'll have a balanced view. Also worth mentioning is that it is Ford India themselves taking the responsibility of calling out existing TCDi customers and informing them of this recall, rather than coyly making the ASCs call customers and inform them of the development. Truly appreciative, considering how Hyundai and Mahindra handled their i20 and XUV 5OO customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuv2390 View Post
Did you also get paint protection?

Though I am against paint protection because I feel that manufacturers like Ford would definitely follow stringent chemical processes prior to painting the car while on the other hand a under body coating maybe worth while! I may consider getting one done tomorrow! Do let me know how much you paid.
Every manufacturer will have a good painting process. I hope you didn't get the paint protection understood incorrectly. Paint protection is taken by those who want it, merely to 'preserve' the initial quality and finish from the harsh conditions of the indian environment.

Dust, dirt and dirty water will all come together to create 'swirls' and very minute scratch marks (micro-scarring) on your car's paint. If you're someone who loves to keep the car shining and brand new everyday, then your car will require additional efforts to preserve the original paint finish coming from the factory (bear in mind, that factory finish would have already taken a fine little beating by the time it reaches your hands, from the transportation stages to stock yard storage).

I can think of 2 types of paint protection. 1) is where you can take your car to a professional 'car detailing' center (like 3M car care, there may be other independent professional detailers in your city too) where they will completely clean your car off all (existing) bonded contaminants, hard dirt, etc and apply a layer of sealant and then (as applicable), a coating of wax too..
Paint protection by sealant and/or wax is also not permanent but this is a (viscious) cycle you must keep up with, every 4-6 months (depending on how harsh your city's condition is, on your car's body).

2) is where at 3M car care centers, you can get a paint protection film applied to certain parts of your car (or the entire car if you're so paranoid about paint and/or incredibly affluent ). Paint Protection Film (PPF) will help when someone brushes their vehicle or anything else against your car body. If the impact of the brush isn't heavy, it will save the paint from being chipped off and the PPF will take the impact of that brushing with the other object. Thus, predominantly car owners might like to have PPF stuck on their bumpers, lower parts of the doors (also saves from slush and mud), fenders, etc.. This is where any vehicle is most likely to be impacted in our daily bumper to bumper traffic.
This is more 'permanent' compared to sealants/wax coating BUT until you have that first brush or impact with another vehicle/object and if that impact dislodges the PPF applied on your car.

Hope this helps. Not regretting writing this for you, but if you were already aware of this and your intention of questioning paint protection was something else, then please pretend this post never existed and that you didn't read until this line.

Last edited by k_ajay : 12th July 2013 at 11:01.
k_ajay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 11:10   #2538
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I think Ford has been pro active in this recall and hence should be commended rather than reviled.

I am finding increasingly here on the forum that true to capricious human nature, we are all in general, very very quick to crib and find fault, but equally unwilling to appreciate good things!

Is this the sign of the psyche of the times?

I sincerely hope not!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 12th July 2013 at 11:12.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 11:28   #2539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post
Finally i decided to choose the Ambient 1.5 Diesel version ( Basically I have been all over the place) since my next work place is a minimum 30 KM away and multiple friends told me the Ford Petrol has miserable resale value.

The expectations set with me was very clear. We dont even know if the base versions of the Petrol & Diesel will ever be produced (So its basically a marketing gimmick to lure people into the showroom). Even if produced it would be for customers like me who pre-booked. So he asked me to wait 3 months again. By now i have given up and reconciled to the fact I have a long wait ahead. So I am going to wait till i move into the new house and then take this issue head on. Do PM me if you want to take it to the next level.
I booked the Diesel Trend the day after the launch and I am being told that I should expect it in August, which, if it happens would be around 1.5 months waiting period which is not that bad considering the response they have got. Yes, Ford would apparently prioritize the high end trims to generate max profits. As long as the waiting period is not unrealistic on the lower trims, I wont blame Ford because I would have done the same if I had such a winner on my hands.

On the subject of the recall, I am really happy about that because to my knowledge this kind of proactive action from manufacturers does not happen in India. That I believe is because our tort laws are horrible. In developed countries, if you can prove that a manufacturer had prior knowledge that an issue could arise because of a design flaw and they did not do everything in their power to set it right, they are gonners for sure. As a customer, you can claim enough damages from them to buy a Ferrari. But this recall is a nice little first step for sure.
Old 12th July 2013, 12:12   #2540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup? View Post
I booked the Diesel Trend the day after the launch and I am being told that I should expect it in August, which, if it happens would be around 1.5 months waiting period which is not that bad considering the response they have got. Yes, Ford would apparently prioritize the high end trims to generate max profits. As long as the waiting period is not unrealistic on the lower trims, I wont blame Ford because I would have done the same if I had such a winner on my hands.
I would partially agree with you as long as they had at least given me a timeline. I am only miffed because they are indicating that this version might never be manufactured & refuse to give a timeline. At least they should have delivered few vehicles for those who pre-booked it like me. My problem was that all choices i gave was given 3-6 months time line (AT, 1.5P Trend)

If nothing moves after 3 months, I will do my best to escalate this to the Ford Management and all auto journos in India. Looking at all auto website highlighting the Ford Recall, looks like any information on the Ecosport gets the media into a frenzy now. So let me give Ford the time they want before I decide the future course of action (once i move to my next house) which gives them a minimum of 3 -4 months time to act on my request.
Old 12th July 2013, 12:23   #2541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd.bell View Post
(after all Ecosport is a jacked up hatch, isn't it )
You haven't driven one yet, have you?

True, there are cars that offer more space, that offer more power, that handles better, ride better etc. Ecosport might not excel in any single department, but is a comprehensive package.
ecosport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 12:32   #2542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post
I would partially agree with you as long as they had at least given me a timeline. I am only miffed because they are indicating that this version might never be manufactured & refuse to give a timeline. At least they should have delivered few vehicles for those who pre-booked it like me. My problem was that all choices i gave was given 3-6 months time line (AT, 1.5P Trend)

If nothing moves after 3 months, I will do my best to escalate this to the Ford Management and all auto journos in India. Looking at all auto website highlighting the Ford Recall, looks like any information on the Ecosport gets the media into a frenzy now. So let me give Ford the time they want before I decide the future course of action (once i move to my next house) which gives them a minimum of 3 -4 months time to act on my request.

Is Ford trying to tell its customer that they wake up every morning to decide which model they will produce in their assembly lines !!!

All manufacturing schedules for Assembly line are planned upto 3 months ahead, they already know which model are going to be produced and in what quantities(including the color, variant etc) for the next few months.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 12:41   #2543
BHPian

Hi Limited -edition ,

You are right , that's exactly why I have planned to wait for some more time so that FORD can iron out all the issues and get the car to next level , possibly at it's best. Although I did not expect Ford to have such fault in first place. I understand if a particular part malfunctions.But here we are dealing with a wrong placement which is a design flaw and I really can't tolerate it. I feel expectations are higher this time and all the excitement which Ford created is backfiring on them. I am a Ford fan ( my Ikon and Fiesta proves it ) and that's why it hurts me more.

Regards
Amol
amolathalye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 14:15   #2544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post

I can think of 2 types of paint protection. 1) is where you can take your car to a professional 'car detailing' center (like 3M car care, there may be other independent professional detailers in your city too) where they will completely clean your car off all (existing) bonded contaminants, hard dirt, etc and apply a layer of sealant and then (as applicable), a coating of wax too..

Hope this helps. Not regretting writing this for you, but if you were already aware of this and your intention of questioning paint protection was something else, then please pretend this post never existed and that you didn't read until this line.
@ k_ajay: I agree with your perspective but I some what beg to differ on the 'professional detailing center'! I believe that if I were to maintain the original look of my brand new car then I must wax it every 4 months without fail and this should ensure the original finish is maintained. I personally do this to my BMW 520d, Hyundai i20 and now the EcoSport! These detailing centers charge exorbitant prices for a simple polish or wax job. Imagine taking your new car to a detailing center and the guy ends up using a buffing machine on a car just out of the showroom! Most people do not understand the difference between Polish and wax hence I posted this topic!

Another example is that BMW Authorized service center charges Rs. 8000 for polishing a car and I have personally witnessed that they simply use Formula 1 wax and a buffing machine. How ridiculous!
xuv2390 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 14:36   #2545
Senior - BHPian

On the point of the recall issue, Ford has done a good job of identifying the issue very early post launch.

Seems like they came across this quite recently else they would have surely launched the EcoSport after making those changes in the first place.

Now that they are on the correction mode, it might be only a few vehicle that they may have to recall as it would be less than even a month of retail sales.

All other diesel models can be modified while manufacturing itself and if it is just change in position of the glow plug then it may not cause any real delay in deliveries too.

We should take this as a minor correction and nothing more!
Old 12th July 2013, 15:04   #2546
Distinguished - BHPian

Fellow bhpian Speed.Demon saw an Ecosport 1.5AT. He met the owner and got the following details.

1) Completely satisfied with the AT box
2) MID showing 11.5 kmpl
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 15:11   #2547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Is Ford trying to tell its customer that they wake up every morning to decide which model they will produce in their assembly lines !!!

All manufacturing schedules for Assembly line are planned upto 3 months ahead, they already know which model are going to be produced and in what quantities(including the color, variant etc) for the next few months.
In this case, they can't. Without any past sales pattern available, they have to make guesses about what variants would sell more. Arguably, they have gone with the safest option by producing only diesel and Ecoboost variants. Now, looking at the sales/booking trends in the initial months, they would fine tune production so as to meet the current demands.
Old 12th July 2013, 15:23   #2548
BHPian

The overdrive review for that automatic version is up

http://overdrive.in/reviews/2013-for...tic-road-test/
pamishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 16:17   #2549
BHPian

On the way to rajshree ford to pick up our new car ecosport diesel titanium.
accessories rear wheel cover and seat covers
Old 12th July 2013, 16:20   #2550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Fellow bhpian Speed.Demon saw an Ecosport 1.5AT. He met the owner and got the following details.

1) Completely satisfied with the AT box
2) MID showing 11.5 kmpl
Can you find us the location? Which dealer? All along we had been told by dealers that the AT production has not yet started.

Last edited by ecosport : 12th July 2013 at 16:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks