Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2013, 10:38   #3526
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Mod note: Post edited to fix the
Quote:
Quotes
Please do a Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
People think they are infallible and it is the vehicle that is at fault.

Many first time drivers of tallboy cars simply do not take time to understand the characteristics of the vehicle and its applications.

They treat a high GC and tall SUV or van like they would, a low slung sedan or hatch back car and typically pay the price by turning turtle or other similar.
Hi Team BHP friends,

This is my first post on Team BHP and happy to be here(after months of watching from and waiting in the sidelines).

I am an Ecosport-awaitee as well and have been following this thread on its alleged tumbling tendencies. I agree with Shankar.balan above and feel that drivers need to be conscious of a few things about Ford Ecosport:
-we all know that an object with higher Center of Gravity is prone to a higher centrifugal force at the top when force is applied sidewards. The higher ground clearance of Ecosport means higher CoG
-the higher gauge steel also means greater weight in 'relative' terms towards the top as compared to other cars(where the heavier chassis/engine combination close to the ground keep things grounded)
-the smaller engine(that fits on an A4 sheet paper) probably also contributes to lesser relative chassis/engine weight
-the rear-mounted wheel(as against bottom mounted or placed-in-boot wheel of other cars) also contributes it mite to higher weight distribution
-finally, we should get a hang of the steering response before any adventures lest we overcompensate in panic

Waiting for the call from the SA with my delivery details - Ecoboost Mars Red booked 10 July, Chennai Ford.

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd August 2013 at 11:21. Reason: Fixing Quotes.
Old 22nd August 2013, 10:54   #3527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by royfernandez View Post
Hill Assist feature works great on the AT on any slope or ramp upward or downward.
I feel hill assist must be a mandatory feature for all 4 wheelers to be sold.
In slow traffic people keep rolling back on Culverts and humps while there is no way for you to know a hump exists in bumper to bumper traffic. When you try maintain distance, there are two wheelers that fill that gap.
HillMan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 11:46   #3528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Guys please don't get confused. There is absolutely no way one can turn off ABS in a car. No manufacturer will give you that option. The only hack is to remove the ABS fuse.

A DSG will not crawl as much as a regular torque converter AT. It will roll back. In an AT you still only use one foot for brake and accelerator. The time to remove the foot off the brake and on the gas is enough to allow a car to roll back.
Quote:
Guys I apologise We cannot turn off ABS but have an option to turn off the ESP(Electronic Stability Program), sorry for the confusion caused
Thanks for the clarification guys.

So it is possible to turn off ESP and Traction control on Ecosport. I don't think that Ford would have given the option to turn them off individually.
Old 22nd August 2013, 13:58   #3529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Normally AT efficiency is lesser than in the Manual as most AT available earlier were 4 speed ones (Cielo was 3 speed) while the Manual box would be a 5 speed box. But with a DSG box like in the Fiesta the AT will be 6 speed and also this being a DGS the shifts will be much faster and smoother. Theoretically a DSG AT FE should be better than that of the Manual. Also the 0-100 times should be better than in a manual. This is indeed the case with Skoda (and I guess all VW group vehicles) vehicles like the Laura and Superb where the DSG is 6 or 7 speed and more fuel efficient that their manual versions as also faster.
Hi ACM, Just for the record THe EcoSport AT has a six speed gear box. I noticed this when I switched to the S Mode and used the TipTronic. AM not sure that more gears help increase FE
Old 22nd August 2013, 14:21   #3530
Senior - BHPian

Ford EcoSport Bookings Stopped Temporarily

Link to News Section

Unable to service the stiff demand for the Ford EcoSport, many Indian dealers of the American car maker have temporarily stopped accepting bookings for the crossover. While some Ford dealers aren't taking fresh bookings for the base-diesel model of the crossover, other dealers have stopped accepting bookings for the mid and top end variants of the EcoSport.

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-2013-ford-ecosport-crossover.jpg

While the 1.5 liter petrol engined model of the EcoSport seems unaffected by high demand, bookings of the top-end EcoBoost engined model are also said to be stopped at certain dealers. Waiting periods for the EcoSport range from a few weeks at certain parts of India, to as much as 8-12 months (for select variants) in most other parts of the country.

The stoppage in bookings at the dealer level seems to be prompted by the car maker, who is seeking to gain control over the growing waiting periods. The stoppage of bookings is at odds with Ford India Managing Director, Mr Joginder Singh's statements. Mr Singh, in an May 2013 interview to BusinessStandard, had this to say,

Quote:
We are not only ready for the domestic market but are geared up for the export market as well. Chennai will be the source for domestic and exports. If the demand goes through the roof, which we think it will, then we are geared up for that too.

The crossover is available with three engine and two transmission options. A 1.5 liter naturally aspirated petrol unit, a 1 liter turbo petrol unit and a 1.5 liter turbo diesel motor are the three engine options on the EcoSport. A 5 speed manual gearbox is standard on all three engines while the 1.5 liter petrol motor gets a dual clutch 6 speed automatic gearbox as an option.

The EcoSport is sold in 10 different variants, spanning across the 3 engine options. The crossover is built at Ford India's Maramalainagar factory, off Chennai, with a localization level of about 70%. Ford India also exports the EcoSport to markets across the globe. Eventually, the EcoSport will be Ford India's biggest export driver, taking over the mantle from the Figo hatchback.

The Ford EcoSport is manufactured across three locations, Brazil, China and India, with the fourth location, Thailand, to begin production soon. While the Brazilian facility will cater to Latin American markets, the Chinese facility will cater largely to local demand. India will be an export hub catering to Middle Eastern and European markets while the Thai facility will focus on the Far East.

Source Profit.NDTV

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 22nd August 2013 at 14:22. Reason: News Link Added
Old 22nd August 2013, 14:44   #3531
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi ACM, Just for the record THe EcoSport AT has a six speed gear box. I noticed this when I switched to the S Mode and used the TipTronic. AM not sure that more gears help increase FE
Yep it has 6 speed box and more gears do help increase fuel efficiency as there is a correct (most optimum) gear for each smaller range of speed and torque requirement. There are today even 7 & 8 speed boxes in certain luxury vehicles.

Jayprashant

A Mumbai/ Thane Dealer has in fact only stopped taking orders for the EcoSport AT rather than the variants mentioned in your post. It seems Ford does not wish to spend energy on focusing on this variant right now as it would be a limited order book in the longer run, and it is attempting to either convert these to other variants or full fill with specific colour production runs.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 22nd August 2013 at 17:46. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts.
Old 22nd August 2013, 15:08   #3532
BHPian

I understand from one of the dealers that TDCi Titanium (O) shipment from the factory is expected to resume / start from 2nd week of Sep.
Old 22nd August 2013, 15:37   #3533
BHPian

I visited the showroom with two of my friends since they thought i used influence to get the Ecosport (I kept telling them I booked it even before prebooking started which is why my car was delivered but they didn't believe me) & tagged me along to use me so called "influence"

Anyway the SA told me they are getting more Trend & Ambient versions than Titanium for deliveries now. He told us that they have stopped taking bookings now & there is a rumor about an eminent price hike in the next 2 months. So far he has been spot on about everything! My friends then started insisting on doing "something" & that they were prepared to pay full cash down payment but my SA denied it flat out. They glared at me as my invisible coat of "influence" was fading away. >

Anyway I am glad that my car is already delivered (My biggest kick is when everyone who sees my car says "8 Lakhs on-road? That too for a diesel? Ru sure? This looks like a 11-12 lakh car")

I hope ford keeps the old prices for people who booked it earlier (If the price hike is indeed true).

Last edited by urajkumar : 22nd August 2013 at 15:41.
urajkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 16:27   #3534
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Guys I apologise We cannot turn off ABS but have an option to turn off the ESP(Electronic Stability Program), sorry for the confusion caused
Interesting. Even the Yeti I dont think has this option of turning ESP off. It has the option of turning off the front passenger airbag though. I for one, did not know that the EcoSport had ESP.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 22nd August 2013 at 16:28.
Old 22nd August 2013, 16:44   #3535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

Interesting. Even the Yeti I dont think has this option of turning ESP off. It has the option of turning off the front passenger airbag though. I for one, did not know that the EcoSport had ESP.
Hill climb assist and esp is available only in AT variant.

I have heard that abs can be disabled in safari via taking out the fuse. For those who drive on snow would wish to use the same technique on EcoSport
Old 22nd August 2013, 17:28   #3536
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Bookings Stopped Temporarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Link to News Section

Unable to service the stiff demand for the Ford EcoSport, many Indian dealers of the American car maker have temporarily stopped accepting bookings for the crossover. While some Ford dealers aren't taking fresh bookings for the base-diesel model of the crossover, other dealers have stopped accepting bookings for the mid and top end variants of the EcoSport.
Toyota had to do it for the Fortunner, Mahindra had to do it for XUV500 and now Ford has to do it for the EcoSport. I guess this was expected because a waiting period of 6+ months is just not ok. It will also help company get a bearing on the outstanding demand. I remember seeing the interview with Mr. Singh where he had said that Ford is ready to meet whatever the demand. I guess he too did not expect the response to be so fantastic!
Old 22nd August 2013, 17:56   #3537
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Bookings Stopped Temporarily

Quote:
AM not sure that more gears help increase FE
It's not just the number of gears that determine a better efficiency. Consider the Maruti Esteem Di, for instance. If you were traveling on 5th gear at 100 km/hr, which would be at 3000 rpm, you could go from Hyderabad to Soan without re-fueling. If you are traveling at 160 km/hr, which would be at over 5000 rpm, you would be using close to twice as much fuel. If the Esteem had a 6th gear, it could have helped in reducing the rpm and thus consume lower fuel. However, they could just as easily have decided to make the 5th gear taller for better efficiency while spacing out the ratios of the other gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Unable to service the stiff demand for the Ford EcoSport, many Indian dealers of the American car maker have temporarily stopped accepting bookings for the crossover.

Mr Singh, in an May 2013 interview The Ford EcoSport is manufactured across three locations, Brazil, China and India. India will be an export hub catering to Middle Eastern and European markets
Everyone would like to say that they can deal with unexpected demand, but it's within certain limits. The design of the EcoSport is much better than that of the average-looking Duster and modern but van-like Ertiga; Chevrolet Enjoy and Nissan Evalia are further away from creating an appealing design. In a country that won't use sidecars or pedal away on bicycles, looks sell and in big numbers. Design aesthetics are something that are very subjective and it's difficult to tell if something will have a mass acceptance based on focus groups.

Either way, Ford has a lot to lose in sales to the Duster and Ertiga (and maybe even Bolero?) because of the long waiting period and by not accepting any more bookings.
k_nitin_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 21:33   #3538
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Jayprashant

A Mumbai/ Thane Dealer has in fact only stopped taking orders for the EcoSport AT rather than the variants mentioned in your post. It seems Ford does not wish to spend energy on focusing on this variant right now as it would be a limited order book in the longer run, and it is attempting to either convert these to other variants or full fill with specific colour production runs.
Nope I was a bit wrong now they have stopped taking all petrol bookings at a dealership I checked with.
Old 23rd August 2013, 09:09   #3539
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,

A got a call yesterday by Ford dealership to make the payment for Ecoport D Titanium (O).
the vehicle is in transit. time for yet another experience with Ford
Old 23rd August 2013, 10:07   #3540

Apparently booking has been halted for the automatic variant at (at least) : Shreeji Ford (thane), AVK Ford (Powai) - Mumbai. Still waiting for someone to answer my calls at Wasan and SC Ford.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks