Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2013, 22:25   #61
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaka46 View Post
Good to see that Hyundai has finally woken up to it's boat like ride quality.

1)They should've given ABS and Airbags along with each variant as optional. Honda must be appreciated on this front. Agreed that the aam junta might not take this seriously but at least our age old laws might be modified and ABS must be made either standard or optional for the customer who's willing to pay for it . People might come up with excuses like one may not need it if he/she drives slowly and carefully, but then you never know when you need it and given a choice the manufacturer would like to exclude it since the overall cost comes down and that could be their preference over customer safety.
2)Agree that their petrol cars mileage might be stopping them from including DTE and instantaneous FE but why not include it in diesel variants ? What could be the rationale behind excluding it time and again ?
3) Adjustable head rests would've been a nice thing to have although not a deal breaker.
I don't believe that Hyundai did not include DTE and FE because of low mileage, instead it could have been a limitation of some sorts. When they can emit a whole MID from Elantra , On the other hand, if they are hiding it, it is stupid of them as tank to tank method can do the trick. Also giving it for only the diesel would be difficult (Different programming and sensors, different manufacturers)
Old 16th September 2013, 22:31   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What I love about the angle of this photo is the fact that the front wipers of the Grand i10 are invisible, unlike in many other hatches. Hyundai has beautifully incorporated the front wipers in the old i10 and Grand i10 to minimise the protrusion of the wipers on the windscreen. Also, the nozzle for the wiper wiper water is beautifully integrated om the Grand i10.

By the way, GTO, where was the Grand i10 photographed? The background structure is really beautiful.

Last edited by misquitas : 16th September 2013 at 22:33.
misquitas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 22:33   #63
BHPian

On certain points I feel Hyundai have shown injustice to the more premium i20 in distributing the features. The rear AC vent, Bottle holders on the door (i20 has none other than on the central console) etc are not found in i20 feature list. The back seat recline angle for i20 too is very low.

On the steering part, many people complain it to be too easy. Having driven the i20 for last 1 year, whenever, I drive a figo or a swift, I get a doubt if it is power assisted or not. Once you get accustomed to that steering every other car steering feels very hard to you.
nettooran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 22:38   #64
Senior - BHPian

Great review GTO. I must admit it is a great leap over the i10 of yesteryears. But it is disappointing to see that diesel lacks grunt on highways. Imagine, you are driving along soaking in and relishing all those high quality inetriors and then a diesel Swift/Ritz just blasts past you leaving you in its wake by a long mile. That would be a little hard to digest. But then, in all fairness to Hyundai, we can't and shouldn't expect much from a 3-pot mill. But why no ACC? Love those chrome handles though.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 23:10   #65
BHPian

Quote:
I forgot to mention that Hyundai has also rectified a small, but significant flaw from the old i10. The old i10 owners (like myself) would acknowledge that filling air on the spare tyre was a pain, due to the downward placement of the air nozzle on the spare tyre. One was to forced to remove the securing bolt and lift the spare tyre to enable the tyre attendant to fill the air.

Looking at the above photo of the spare tyre on the Grand i10, I noticed that the nozzle is now facing upwards and this is a welcome change. So, no need to remove the spare tyre to fill the air.

Also, there is a lot more space around the Grand i10 spare tyre to place a thick nylon rope (in case of the need to tow the car during a break-down). The space around the spare tyre on my i10 is much lesser.
misquitas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 00:01   #66
BHPian

Hi GTO,

This is indeed an awesome review. I liked the review more than the car. The photographs are excellent. Your reviews have become synonyms with quality, facts and attention to detail.

Now we are expecting more from you. We would like to have shootouts coming from Team-bhp. Eg...Comparing grand i10 with other cars in the segment and coming up with a clear winner. Awaiting your initiative on the same.

Thanks,
Prakash.
prakasse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 01:11   #67
BHPian

Guys, after considering a lot of cars across all segments in last few months i just couldn't stop myself from buying a Pure White Grand i10 Diesel Asta Option a few days back, probably the first Asta Option variant in my city.

I really liked the petrol which is simply exceptional in terms of refinement & pep, but choose the Diesel as i somehow felt it had slightly better bump absorption (ride) & felt even the AC performance was better than the petrol.

Overall I rate Grand i10 as the best product from Hyundai till date after the i10. Its only sad that Hyundai couldn't carryover the visual appeal of the exteriors to the interior also, Barring the steering wheel with its design, finish & buttons which is too good for the segment. I would've liked Eon kind of textures, color and design approach for rest of the interiors.

Personally i simply don't like the odd shade of beige, it just doesn't go well as a combination with black, which itself could've got richer texture & better grade of plastic as this one is already getting scratch marks and getting blemished with finger prints.

Lot has already been written about the car & GTO's verdict is also out, I would call this a neutral car in all aspects - its not boring but at the same time doesn't excite you, its not exceptional in terms of handling but also doesn't get nasty and you will never feel out of control. Engine is just powerful enough & at the same time doesn't border on being termed under powered. Almost Fully loaded, except for 14 inch wheels instead of 15 with greater width, lack of climate control, Glaringly MID with fuel efficiency figures have been omitted.

What is exceptional is the price and Hyundai has managed to deliver the best value proposition in the segment till date, just as the Verna did in its segment. Though even the Verna had flawed handling, dicey braking & poor rear seat, The Grand has everything positive about it & doesn't really have any serious flaws at all, except some momentary hesitation in 1st & 2nd gears in traffic conditions rest of the car when looked at in all aspects makes competition look terribly overpriced even if each one of it may be good in any one aspect but none of them are well rounded and accomplished as an overall package as the Grand i10.

Now only wishing Hyundai will carry the same approach for all its future products in India & at the same time inject some excitement in them.

Tata's & Mahindra's - Forget about Jaguars, Land Rovers or Ssangyong, just bench mark the quality levels of Grand i10 & even the Eon, with products like Vista, Manza, Xylo/Quanto, Aria/XUV which though costing much more don't deliver the same level of Quality interiors, Components & Long term reliability, compared to Hyundai products which are positioned few segments down.

I some how i feel even all other manufacturers have got a completely flawed approach & taking indian customers for Granted - Brio & Amaze, priced well but lack in a lot of aspects,Toyota has stretched it too far with Liva & Etios i found them to be one of the worst products to be launched in recent times, Suzuki is dishing out comparatively good products but value in terms of features & pricing is questionable, least said about GM & Ford the better (except the Cruze & Eco-sport respectively)

Hyundai had proved that Cheaper Doesn't mean inferior, This should be a Slap in the face for entire Industry & a wake up call too, Others are simply selling on the Strength of their respective Brands and delivering flawed products which are low on safety & quality citing different reasons as Higher input costs, Rise in rupee etc. Which amounts to cheating the Indian public which is not acceptable.

Please don't treat this as some kind of one sided endorsement but consider this as a reaction coming from a person who has personally owned 18 cars and with many more in the family & having practically driven most different cars across all segments till now.

I am simply stunned by the positioning of the Grand i10.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-2013915132335.jpg  

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-2013915132350.jpg  

autohead is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 01:45   #68
BHPian

Superb review GTO sir. I am giving 5 stars to this thread for sure. The car has an amazing, gadget loaded interior as always expected from Hyundai. I feel that the 1.5KMPL drop in fuel efficiency is surely something worth investigating. The 75kg increase in weight cannot surely account for this drop. Maybe it will be an issue with the ECU tuning.

It will be interesting to see how well the diesel sells in the times of slow fuel price hikes and tightening economic conditions. How many people buying this car will opt for the diesel variant with its higher price and sure shot diesel price hikes, it is a question which will be surely answered with the passage of time.

The new Honda Jazz with its new chasis and the amazing 1.5L diesel and the efficient 1.2L ivtec petrol will surely provide tough competition to this car.
DrPriyankT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 02:28   #69
BHPian

Lovely review GTO. When I read the specifications of the Grand i10, I thought the diesel would be an out and out performer, given the power numbers on the engine. The lower torque number is what makes this vehicle lose grunt I guess.

This is where the Swift scores as an absolute performance diesel hatch, especially the old Swift. I still can't forget the sort of high I used to get once the turbo on my old VDi would start spooling. I haven't experienced that feeling in any other diesel, and really wish at times that I hadn't sold my old Swift.

All said and done about the engine, the Grand i10 is a lovely car, with head-turning looks and good build quality
HighwayofLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 08:08   #70
Senior - BHPian

Great review GTO. Thanks for sharing with us.

The new i10 looks like a very balanced and capable car. I really love the rear. It looks so European. And even the small bits inside looks good and well thought out. As you rightly said, it adds to the ownership experience tremendously. Well done Hyundai. An AT box coupled to the Diesel will make a great city car.

Quote:
Master 'On / Off' switch is unique, haven't seen it in any other car. In 'off' position, it will automatically cut off current leakage from the battery after 20 minutes. Can be useful for the times when you want to park the i10 for a longer duration. Could also help against uninformed car thieves:
One question: Will the alarm and auto lock/unlock work when the switch in the fuse box is in Off position?
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 08:32   #71
BHPian

Excellent review GTO! Hyundai seems to be getting better and better by the day. It is a lesson for other manufacturers. Hyundai products generally are not the best in any one area but when you consider the overall package (including after sales) they are amongst the leaders. Yes, their service is a bit on the expensive side, but I would rather prefer an expensive service than an incompetent one. Hyundai definitely has another hit on their list.
Hopefully they will start churning out cars that will cater to enthusiasts. Good luck Hyundai!
shivasuma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 08:57   #72
Team-BHP Support

Rush, No more comments on how good the reviews are.
Now they are a given...

On to the car :

- Brands like Hyundai/Samsung (not just limited to car alone) have really come from people saying I don't buy anything Korean; to wow look at it !
- And that is a testament to how silently and diligently they have come up the ranks.

- Till some time back I was thinking the Nissan Micra would have been the best city hatch to buy esp. the CVT version other than the diesel of-course.
- But this guy with the oil burner, really makes one think other wise.
- Ajit's comment really sums it all nicely.. This could easily have been a VW!
- With a high ARAI rating for the diesel and a brilliant flat power/torque, I think it can easily be a chart buster for a city car
- A "compliant ride" as described says a lot too. That was one was huge point negative in its favour. I have an i10 AT. Apart from the AT part, I never felt good about the ride.
- Full marks to Hyundai to turn this around. (I write this only based on what I read)

The only points to note:
- 5 year Warranty is very good. But still rising maintenance costs for Hyundai cars needs a watchful eye
- Was anything mentioned in that regard ?

Last edited by ampere : 17th September 2013 at 09:02.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 10:26   #73
BHPian

Excellent, to the point review.

Please update your findings about competing cars. They are just being carried over. You hardly tend to revisit them.

The Tata Vista service as well as sales experience has improved and so has the quality, fit and finish.

Even the latest JD Power SSI has similar findings.
AmarPaithankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 11:26   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The only points to note:
- 5 year Warranty is very good. But still rising maintenance costs for Hyundai cars needs a watchful eye
- Was anything mentioned in that regard ?
The rising maintenance costs for Hyundai cars especially the i10's is something that needs to be factored in. I have 2-3 colleagues who drive i10's and they keep telling me that their average service bills are 5-6k on a regular basis these days. I believe the i10 has 5k service intervals.

I still stick to the fact that I would not prefer buying Korean phones
Baddychat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 11:31   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
excellent review GTO!

As a long suffering owner of my i10 AT's bumpiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I have an i10 AT. Apart from the AT part, I never felt good about the ride.
+1 to both your comments - I have tried with all combinations of tire pressure from 28 to 33 - still feel like jumping beans in slightly bad roads! even dad's eon has better rear seat comfort. Currently I am running with 32 front 30 back configuration - and endure the broken potholed patches (sometimes affectionately called roads in Kolkata) hoping to stretch the fuel tank by a few miles.
If hyundai has solved this piece of puzzle called 'pliant ride of i10 on bad roads' - that's an achievement.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks