Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2013, 14:25   #181
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemus View Post
Last week I had a TD of the Grand i10. Here are a few points that I noted

I am surely confused between Grand i10 and Ford Figo but now after the TD I am leaning towards Grand i10. What do you guys suggest?
If you liked the Grand i10 and feel it suits your needs very well, then just go for it!

You may want to wait a bit before buying IF you are of the cautious type - to see if any small issues that pop up in the initial batches are fixed in the next ones. It can happen with any new car from any brand. Even Hyundai's Eon had a vibrating gear lever in the initial batches which was subsequently ironed out. But if your need is immediate, you can still go for it as no initial niggle has been reported so far.

Both the Figo and the Grand i10 are very good cars, there is no doubt about it. The Figo is beginning to show its age (both inside and out) now though, and its replacement model is being tested in different countries around the world. And Ford's 1.4 TDCi feels a bit unrefined in the Figo because of the use of rubber engine mounts. The Grand i10 is also loaded with plenty of useful features. If more than one family member/friend travels with you, they would really appreciate the rear A/C vents (on the Magna onwards), as an example. The electrically folding mirrors (on the Sportz onwards) are another very useful feature for the city.

Ford's traditional strength of appealing to the enthusiastic driver is not applicable fully in the Figo, solely because of the two engines on offer. If you're looking to buy a petrol, choose the Grand i10 without thinking twice.

I believe you are looking at diesel, where the difference is closer. Both engines have similar PS and Nm figures (give or take a couple) and should offer great city driveability and maybe highway cruising ability, but both seem to lose steam in the higher reaches of the rev range. The 1.4 Duratorq has an extra cylinder but still the 1.1 U2 fares better on refinement, because of the NVH package and modern engine design.

In the end, it's up to you. You may take others' inputs (including mine) into consideration, but please don't make a decision solely on what I or anyone else tells you.

Follow what your head and heart tell you. It's going to be your purchase with your money and the car is meant for you (and your family).

Do keep us informed about your decision and put up an initial review when you buy the car. All the best!
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 18:05   #182
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Thanks RSR!
In fact, in any case we are planning to buy the car only in December or January, so there is no rush as such. Which also bodes well because some of flaws (as you said) will get ironed out. I remember the shaking of gear lever in Eon, didn't know it's taken care of.
Secondly, I also loved Grand i10 for the rear air vents, basically this is going to be our family car with my parents sitting at the rear, and the air vents will be very much appreciated by my mom especially.
Yes, I forgot to mention, I am looking for a diesel, as our good ol' Santro is causing a serious dent on my pocket. Also, I will be taking the car to the office which is a 40KM round trip daily and a Mumbai trip every fortnight, so a diesel is a must.
Coming back to Figo, the main USP is the version to version low price in comparison to Grand i10. On top of it, there are many discounts going around and Titanium version can cost at least 75 to 80K cheaper than Asta (o)!!
But what I don't like of Figo is most certainly the non-automatic rear window and the fact that rear window rolls down only about 60 - 65% (immediate no-no from wifey, but if need be I will convince her, I hope and pray!).
What I am going to do is list down the pros and cons and weigh each one of them and then decide, your and other TBHP'ians inputs will be helpful too!
teemus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 21:24   #183
BHPian

Quote:

I am surely confused between Grand i10 and Ford Figo but now after the TD am leaning towards Grand i10. What do you guys suggest?
Hi,
Since your drive involve fortnight trip to Mumbai, I would pick the Figo for its handling characteristics in highways. Also it costs a lot lesser than Grand i10 with the current offers. The engine is also tested and proven. Grandi10 would require atleast one upgrade [one year] to iron out all the issues based on feedback.

Thanks,
Prakash.
prakasse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 08:05   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

@teemus I would strongly suggest to pick Grand i10 on the following parameters : Convenience of features + great service + great resale as its a new model and high on demand. Things like rear a.c and push button ignition are first in class and do cost money to add.

Figo is obsolete in the current scenario- its engine is woefully weak (petrol) and unrefined (diesel) as its last gen design/tech. Add to this complete absence of rear power windows (a big minus), its no wonder that Ford is slightly cheaper with the discounts. Besides a new model will replace it within a year so in the long term re-sale will take a big hit.

Grand i10 is indeed a Grander alternative to those pursuing Figo/Ritz/Swift. To me its almost too easy to decide because Hyundai is very honest in these departments -build quality and convenience. Never before has there been a car in this segment with such well proportioned boot, rear legroom and front legroom. i10 has always been the model that sets the trend that is later put into other models of Hyundai (bluetooth, heated side mirrors, rear a.c, sunroof all started in i10). So even if Grand is new, you can safely assume the company will take no chances to spoil its reputation.

Last edited by dark.knight : 30th September 2013 at 08:22. Reason: Fact-check
Old 30th September 2013, 12:27   #185
Senior - BHPian

Had gone to Express-Hyundai on OMR last week with a friend whose Getz was to be given for body-work and I see the Grand i10 parked there for display. Exterior looks are really good - the erstwhile tallish stance has given way to more car-like low pleasant looks.
Old 30th September 2013, 22:01   #186
BANNED

Saw one black CRDi model yesterday, and is looking nice - especially from rear. Has enough glamour to fetch many customers from i20 also.

Source: Zigwheels; car looks good in most of the angles (except for the tiny bonnet), and in darker shades also, IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-hyundai.jpg  

Last edited by romeomidhun : 30th September 2013 at 22:05.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 10:12   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Other Points:

• The single OEM horn is too weak & timid. I suggest an upgrade to a dual-tone horn at the dealer.
IMHO the horn is quite OK, during the TD when I pressed the horn, I first thought that it didn't sound and I pressed it again and indeed it sounded meek in the cabin. So I cross-checked this once we reached the showroom again, I asked my friend to blow the horn while we stood outside. I was surprised to hear that it did sound reasonably loud! This made me realize how good the NVH has been done for the car. Kudos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Saw one black CRDi model yesterday, and is looking nice - especially from rear. Has enough glamour to fetch many customers from i20 also.

Source: Zigwheels; car looks good in most of the angles (except for the tiny bonnet), and in darker shades also, IMO.
I like this color! It was not available in the showroom that day, but today I saw a similar color on an i20 and it looks nice, no reason why it shouldn't look good on the Grand i10.
Also, the orange color was not available in the showroom, don't know how it looks on the road.

Last edited by teemus : 1st October 2013 at 10:22. Reason: minor additions to the post
teemus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 14:37   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Also, the orange color was not available in the showroom, don't know how it looks on the road.
I recently visited "Autoshow" which was arranged at Pheonix market city, Mahadevapura, Bangalore. There was a "Grand i10" at display with orange color. It was looking awesome.

Brands which were in display are DCdesign, Nissan, Toyota, Suzuki, Honda, Hyundai, Skoda, and Chevrolet.
Old 2nd October 2013, 10:23   #189
BHPian

Saw one in white at my home town. It is a well proportioned car which looks really nice. Out of all the cars Hyundai launched recently, this is "the best" looking car. Loved both, the front, rear and side views. Had experienced the petrol engine of this car in the old i10. The looks with engine is a nice package - heart wants to do a TD! This should be a grand success for Hyundai.
Old 2nd October 2013, 14:52   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am surely confused between Grand i10 and Ford Figo but now after the TD I am leaning towards Grand i10. What do you guys suggest?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
I believe you are looking at diesel, where the difference is closer. Both engines have similar PS and Nm figures (give or take a couple) and should offer great city driveability and maybe highway cruising ability, but both seem to lose steam in the higher reaches of the rev range. The 1.4 Duratorq has an extra cylinder but still the 1.1 U2 fares better on refinement, because of the NVH package and modern engine design.
Hey Teemus, RSR has already summarized things well. If you are looking at petrol then there is certainly no contest. However diesel would be close call. You need to look at your priorities and decide. I own a Figo and can tell you its pros/cons

Pros
- Well packages interiors in terms of space all around
- Drives like a big car. very steady road manner
- Stays super planted on highways
- decent diesel that is very smooth once you cross idling. Its noisy on the outside though
- diesel does not lose steam on highway till ~130kmph. Good enough in my opinion for our roads

Cons
- Ride is harsh on city roads that are bumpy
- Interior plastic quality and design are avg
- design would seem dated
- Diesel engine would be ~5-10% less efficient than current gen engines

You can decide based on these items. If you need a city car, then its a no brainer for i10, if more for highway then you gota re-consider. In general i10 would be strong contender being the new good looking kid in the block.
supertinu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2013, 18:13   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

There's something about the Grand i10's design that harks back to the clean lines of the Getz. I love the Getz's lines, and this is the first Hyundai hatchback since then to appeal to me as strongly as the Getz at first sight.

I'm tempted to consider trading in my Getz for the Grand i10, and the Magna/Sportz variants are the most appealing.

What's the difference between the 'clean silver' and 'diamond cut' alloys?
Old 2nd October 2013, 19:17   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post

What's the difference between the 'clean silver' and 'diamond cut' alloys?
The clean silver alloys do not have the darker accenting on the spokes as seen in the below image. The alloys will be completely in the lighter shade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Thin 165/65 R14 rubber on dual-tone 8 spoke rims. Hyundai calls this finish the 'diamond cut'. If you frequently head out on the highway, I highly recommend an upgrade to tyres of a 175 / 185 patch:

nipcarlover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 17:25   #193
BHPian

GTO, Outstanding review for this excellent car.
There is no surprise....from last month many Swift advertisements in TV (which never seen for last 5 years).
Old 7th October 2013, 02:00   #194
BHPian

Hello all,

Was in South City Mall in Kolkata yesterday, and the i10 Grand was on display.
wife and self went to see what it was and was quite impressed with the find.

I bought the "new" Ritz VDI 10 months back.
Was comparing my buy with the new kid on the block.

I did not compare top model to top model, but went for Grand (Magna) Vs Ritz VDI, generally what we ultimately end up buying because of pocket constraints.

The two cars are mostly comparable on features, however some points of difference I noticed are enumerated below.

+ve to Hyundai Grand (Magna variant) vs Ritz VDI:
1. Grand comes with parcel tray, in Ritz I had to buy one. (Rs 900+)
2. Boot lamp of Grand must be helpful while loading grocery in the dark parking of Metro Cash & Carry / Big Bazar, in my Ritz I have to use my mobile torch, holding it in my mouth.
3. Electrically adjustable ORVM in Grand should be a boon, feel the pain everyday in my Ritz during street side parking in Kolkata, while adjusting the LHS ORVM by stretching to my extreme left to check the left rear wheel & kerb distance, and then resetting it again while driving off. Esp as I am short @ 5'3".
4. Grand comes with key-less entry, I had to purchase one for my Ritz VDI. (Rs 4500+)
5. Body coloured Door handles and ORVM of Grand is surely an advantage over black Door Handle and ORVM of Ritz.
6. Mileage of 24.88kmpl of Grand as per ARAI compared to 23.2kmpl of Ritz.
7. Rear power outlet in Grand absent in Ritz.
8. Rear AC vents in Grand should result in faster cooling in the rear compared to the front vents "throwing" air till the rear in my Ritz VDI.
9. Packaging of tool kits in cloth bag of Grand compared to the plastic bag of my Ritz making noises over bumpy roads (omnipresent in Kolkata).
10. Grand is priced at INR 6.17 lakhs on road in Oct '13 compared to Ritz priced at INR 6.49 lakhs on road in Dec '12 (at Kolkata).

+ve to Ritz VDI vs Grand (Magna variant)
1. 60:40 split rear seat of Ritz missing in Grand, makes difference during long journeys with more luggage.
2. Ritz seems has a higher stack height in the boot over the Grand.
3. MID of Rtiz is very meaningful with (ODO, Trip A, Trip B, Instant Fuel Consumption, Average Fuel Consumption, Range / Kms to empty) compared to Grand (ODO, Trip A, Trip B, Average vehicle speed, Engine running time). In Kolkata traffic Average vehicle speed will tend to ZERO and Engine running time will tend to INFINITY !!
4. Rear spoiler in Ritz VDI adding to its beauty is sadly missing in Grand Magna.
5. Body side moulding of Ritz VDi is missing in the Grand Magna.
6. Tyre size of 165/80R14 of the Ritz surely adds to the stability and thicker sidewalls mean less chances of dented rims on potholed city roads, compared to the 165/65R14 of the Grand. Driving comfort will be better with Grand with lower profile tyres and a lighter car, but you have to be careful not to hit potholes at high speeds, esp in a one off pothole on a smooth road. (Like you sometimes find on EM Byepass)
7. Tilt steering in Ritz helps adjusting to different driver heights (e.g. me @ 5'3" and by B-I-L @ 6') is missing in Grand.
8. The driver seat of Ritz pulled max in front cramps me @ 5'3" and was comfortable for a madam in my office @ 4'9", who would not have been able to drive the Grand as its seat pulled max in front was just OK for me.
9. Rear seats with adjustable head rests is an advantage in Ritz missing in Grand.
10. Front seat headrests do not have any adjustability in any model of Grand compared to all models of Ritz.

Points of confusion:
Does the driveability of a 3 cylinder vary with a 4 cylinder in Diesel?
In petrol I know it does not, as I have driven Maruti 800 (both Carburetor and MPFI models) for years without being able to feel that it was a 3 cylinder, esp immediately after changing over from petrol (4 cylinder) Ambassador. Even did not find any difference while driving Zen vs M800.
Hyundai advertises on something called a battery saver, wherein the alternator cuts off when the battery is fully charged, thereby reducing load on engine leading to better fuel efficiency. This technology (though not advertised) is present in Ritz.

I have been able to conjure up these many points. Again, please note I have compared Grand Magna to Ritz VDI and these are all my observations. Any recent change in specifications by manufacturers have not been captured here.

Overall, I liked the car to a large extent, my wife loved the look of the car immensely, who had historically liked the look of Ritz immensely (still does).

Brickbats and accolades welcome alike.

Regards,
Saurav

Last edited by sauravdc : 7th October 2013 at 02:05. Reason: Just afterthoughts ...
sauravdc is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 21:36   #195
BHPian

Re: SCOOP Pics! Next-gen 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India

Mod Note : Your pictures have been re-uploaded via the Team-BHP Attachment System. Please upload images ONLY via the Team-BHP Attachment System.

To know how to, click here.

Saw this in chennai (porur to be specific) today afternoon.

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-1376405_10152047518647573_1778175792_n.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-1378399_10152047518462573_1287800599_n.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-1381616_10152047518522573_1064541340_n.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 11th October 2013 at 15:46.
irdevanand is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks