Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2013, 16:59   #241
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravdc View Post
Does the driveability of a 3 cylinder vary with a 4 cylinder in Diesel?
Hi all,

Ultimately after a long wait (and numerous phone calls and three nasty emails to HMIL Noida) I finally got to test-drive the Grand Diesel.

Drove the top variant (Asta).

Steering : Butter smooth, The EPS is wonderful, don't feel like you are maneuvering the car seems the car is following your thoughts. Light, nimble, obedient, soft to touch, etc. ...
Horn : too feeble, not good for Kolkata roads, multiple honkings required to move pedestrians who merrily walk on the vehicle tracks.
Turning Radius : Dream - drives like a M800. (zip-zap-zoo)
Clutch : Too soft, but good for nimble drivers. Hydraulic clutch, but does not feel so while driving.
Gear shift : Smooth, except faltered while reversing because of the technology. Gear up-shifts & down-shifts at low RPMs compared to DDIS engines.
Gear lever position : I love this position, common to i10, Grand, Ritz.
Engine : Idling vibrations are obvious and irritating. Noise is lesser than FiatMJD and i20CRDI. The engine rattle goes away with increased RPM. No turbo lag. Climbed the Taratala flyover with 3 on board, started @ 30kmph and accelerated on the incline to 70kmph with two up-shifts (3-4 & 4-5). But you still feel a lack of the turbo punch in the engine. At low RPMs & snail-pace speeds (e.g. Crossing a speed-breaker), the engine knocks and you need to compulsorily downshift to 1st, else the car stalls. With no turbo boost, you cannot suddenly zoom past other traffic. However a "fast start" from a stop signal is possible. The torque is gradual and "under control". Somehow I have a personal feel that Hyundai could have done better with a 4 cylinder 1120cc engine. The length & weight of the engine would have increased marginally but engineers should have been able to accommodate that in the engine bay. Seems, the drive-ability would have been better. It lacks the muscular diesel feel.
Engine Bay : Neat and compact. Cold air intake is in a awkward position. In real life driving situations it will suck in more dust and hot air, compared to the design followed in old i10 / Ritz / Amaze.
Braking : Decent alike most cars today.
Rear AC Vent : Did not make much difference to the guy sitting in the rear seat. Our Tata Safari has a rear AC vent, now comparing the rear AC vent of Grand to Safari is injustice. No match surely. But of course better than cars not having it. (In Bengali we say "nei mamar theke kana mama bhalo" -- Translated: It is better to have an one eyed maternal uncle than not to have one). It is the only car I have seen among the hatchbacks that have it.
Rear power outlet useful to charge mobiles / laptops on long drives.
AC is powerful and cools fast. The AC compressor does dip the engine power, but seems acceptable.
In-cabin space : very well utilized by Hyundai. Rear seats, leg space, et. al.
Cooled Glove box was an added attraction.
I took the test drive with my MASS SA in plains clothes.
After the drive, he was very impressed with the Hyundai product, himself being a MS man.

My views: Overall, a very good small car in diesel. Perfect for someone who is moving from being a petrol-head to being a diesel-head. It behaves very much like a petrol engine in city driving conditions with the vibrations of a diesel. It is more silent than a diesel engine but noisier than a petrol one. (Reminded me of those 'howling' petrol Ambys when my father's colleagues used to learn driving in our Coal India Township). The low profile tyres should give enough comfort on 4-lane highways during long drives. However, if you stay in a city / town with bad roads, and have to drive along those roads compulsorily, you better think twice before zeroing on Grand. It is a "practical" car in many respects.
My Suggestions: Include the 60:40 split seat option as in i20. Make the MID more meaningful by adding features as in Ritz/Swift. Add a spoiler in Magna, provide a tilt steering, and the front seat should be capable of being pulled a little forward than it is currently. That will suit the car with people height less than 5'3".

Overall, loved the product. It is capable of pulling die-hard MS fans to the Hyundai club. (Some MS fan I know, who used to find the smallest faults with Hyundai products, actually raised his eyebrows when I explained him Grand, more so expressed willingness to go for a test drive next time I go). It is light & nimble. Very good diesel car for ladies to drive too. Feels like petrol.

If I had not invested my money 10 months back in my Ritz, I might have had gone for the Grand.

Regards,
Saurav
sauravdc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 17:04   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemus View Post
One more point which may or may not be important is the waiting period for the particular cars, I am not sure but Grand has a waiting period of around a month, Amaze has a waiting period of 2 months and Swift has even higher, if I am not wrong.
In Mumbai,
  • Grand has < 1 month waiting any model/color
  • Amaze petrol available in 10 days except maybe Urban Titanium
  • Swift - Almost every model is readily available.
dipen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 17:07   #243
BHPian

Thanks Dipen for the update!
My manager booked an Amaze (top end) and he was quoted a 2 month waiting period. He is getting the car on 1st Nov now (almost after 2 months).

Swift - I was not sure only had heard about it.
Old 31st October 2013, 15:47   #244
BHPian

Looks like Grand i10 Top end and Amaze mid variants are priced almost same. Is that true. If that is the case, why will one go for a 1100 cc - 3 cylinder - 70 bhp engine...if you are getting a 1500 cc -- 4 cylinder -100 bhp powerful engine in same range...and importantly HONDA badge.

Any comments friends...!!!!
Old 31st October 2013, 17:27   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun1010 View Post
Looks like Grand i10 Top end and Amaze mid variants are priced almost same. Is that true. If that is the case, why will one go for a 1100 cc - 3 cylinder - 70 bhp engine...if you are getting a 1500 cc -- 4 cylinder -100 bhp powerful engine in same range...and importantly HONDA badge.

Any comments friends...!!!!
Off topic to this thread, but:

1> Yes the engine specs of the Honda are better
2> The second point about the Honda badge is debatable, Hyundai is now one of the biggest automakers in the world, and in India certainly, has a better sales and service network than Honda.

Basically if you are comparing the cars solely based on the paper specs of the engine, and nothing else, then your line of reasoning is valid, otherwise it doesn't make any sense. Going by that logic you can buy a Tata Sumo with 3 liter engine for around the same cost as well.

Last edited by chncar : 31st October 2013 at 17:28.
Old 31st October 2013, 17:32   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Off topic to this thread, but:

1> Yes the engine specs of the Honda are better
2> The second point about the Honda badge is debatable, Hyundai is now one of the biggest automakers in the world, and in India certainly, has a better sales and service network than Honda.

Basically if you are comparing the cars solely based on the paper specs of the engine, and nothing else, then your line of reasoning is valid, otherwise it doesn't make any sense. Going by that logic you can buy a Tata Sumo with 3 liter engine for around the same cost as well.
I can understand that, but the question in my mind has come up due to the Value for money, both being at similar price lines.

how about the Products in particular....Grand i10 and Amaze. Which one is better product in totality?
Old 31st October 2013, 18:49   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun1010 View Post
I can understand that, but the question in my mind has come up due to the Value for money, both being at similar price lines.

how about the Products in particular....Grand i10 and Amaze. Which one is better product in totality?
It's hard to answer such a question correctly, unless one car is either really bad or exceptional. Also they are different not exactly the same segment of car though they target the same segment of buyers. You haven't mentioned your requirements here, you will need to look at what is practical for you in that context.

The fully loaded i10 is not as powerful as the Honda but it has great interiors, refinement and ride quality along with a vastly higher level of equipment. Since I don't know your needs, I would say that in general if I were looking for a purely city car I would go for the i10, whereas if I had a lot of highway driving I would consider the Honda. Also, you can't put a price on safety, stuff like airbags, (and even rear dimisters, wash/wipe) cannot be added on later, so if you buy a lower variant of a more expensive car, you might miss those features later. Better to shell out a bit more and get the top variant (or the variant with enough safety features) IMHO.

Last edited by chncar : 31st October 2013 at 18:52.
chncar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 11:29   #248
BHPian

Hi all,

I test drove both in a span of 3 days.

Now, prices in Kolkata for mid variant (Magna) i10 Grand is 6.17 lakhs on road, and mid-variant (S) Honda Amaze is 7.89 lakhs.

Honda Amaze comes with standard safety features on all variants. Which simply translates to: irrespective of the price you pay, Honda considers your life priceless. Other car-makers do not follow that, hence you land up having ABS as features in only top end models of most automobiles today. So to say, if you are paying less than me (buying mid / base variant, depending on your pocket constraints) your life is less priced than mine !!

But again, if given 8 lakhs to spend, I would go in for the Amaze (S) rather than i10 Grand top variant and save about a lakh.
Amaze was smoother to drive.
A few technical niggles (not elaborating here)
It has a larger boot space.
Similar mileage.
More comfortable ride on the Amaze.
More "izzat" riding a sedan.

But not buy the Tata Sumo mainly for the "izzat" reason.

Regards,
Saurav
Old 2nd November 2013, 17:01   #249
BHPian

I had quite an experience when I took the test drive for the Grand i10 last week. Please read on, as this will not tell you about the things you must have already read in the review by GTO and others.

I called our local Hyundai dealer and had him send a TD vehicle for me to test drive. The next morning took the test drive for the Grand i10 (Atra O trim). This is when I noticed an unique issue with the keyless entry system & go. The Hyundai salesman brought the TD car to my home and we went for a small drive. We came back to our house to sit and crunch some numbers. I parked the car right outside my main door and went in. After we did our debrief session, we stepped out and the salesman realized that we had forgot the keys back at my house in the key bowl beside the door.

As I was turning to fetch the keys for the gentleman, he proposed to demonstrate the keyless entry & go feature of the car. The distance between the car and the keys were not more than 10 feet, which was still inside my house. The gentleman from the Hyundai walked up to the car, pressed the tiny black button and viola! the car was open. Bear in mind, that I am certain I had locked the car post our TD. I soon realized that this might be an issue on the road when we step out of the car and go to get something from the roadside shops. When I raised my concern with the salesman, he said that the feature would only work to open the car doors as the range is somewhat around 3-4 meters. However, he also assured that the car wont start as the range for that is much lesser (read 3-4 feet). I could not stop myself and went ahead to start the car right there. And to all our astonishment the car sprang into life. The gentleman from Hyundai seemed a bit tongue-tied at that moment and said that was not supposed to happen. I asked him, what would stop someone to steal the car with that kind of a feature. That was when he came up with a gem of an answer. He said, and I quote, "If the car stops after moving out of the keys range the thief won't be able to start the car back up."

That was more than enough for me to go back inside and fetch the keys. I returned the keys and thanked the gentleman for such an enlightening experience.

Now, comes my question(s).
1. Is this really how the keyless entry & go works?
a. If yes, did anybody think on the consequences?
b. If no, then was this an issue with the TD vehicle or the Grand i10 in general?

Till then, I am shelving my plans to acquire the Hyundai Grand i10.
Burn_out is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2013, 08:37   #250

Hey guys, I'll be getting a new car around Jan-Feb and I've been considering the Grand i10 diesel Astra diesel seriously. Will the Jan-Feb still be a good time to get the i10 grand ? Considering the large number of bookings will there be a long waiting period?
Old 4th November 2013, 09:15   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn_out View Post
b. If no, then was this an issue with the TD vehicle or the Grand i10 in general?

I also had a test-drive of the car about a month ago and I had my apprehensions about the keyless entry too!
Hence, once we were done with the TD and parked the vehicle, we (me and my friends) tried and tested various scenarios for the keyless entry.

- To unlock the vehicle the key has to be much closer to the car, 4-5 feet is what we tested.
- I took the key away, around 10 feet and then my friend tried opening the car and it didn't.
- To start the car, the key MUST be inside the car. You cannot start the car if the key is out of the vehicle.
- We even tested if the car autolocks once the key goes out of the range, but I am sorry I am just not able to recall if it didn't happen.
But, normally it should. Will make it a point to check once I go for another TD in December or January.

What happened in your case is surely NOT how it's supposed to work.
The only explanation for this would be the presence of another key in the car (maybe in glovebox); or perhaps the equipment being faulty.
I suspsect the former.

If that is not the case and if it's a problem of programming of the keyless module, then I believe the car thieves would be more than thankful for these posts and Grand i10 will be India's most stolen car for sure!!

Last edited by teemus : 4th November 2013 at 09:18. Reason: minor formatting changes
teemus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 11:37   #252
Senior - BHPian

Hi @Burn_out & @teemus

I believe that's on problem withe the cars equipped with smart key & start stop system, if the key is in range, it can easily be opened & started. But, as per discussion on some other thread (on TBHP) & of I recall correctly, you still need to have the key in the range to drive off the car, lest the car won't go beyond its programmed limit.

Please the mods or expert could validate/ confirm the same.

Thanks in advance

Cardeep
Old 4th November 2013, 12:45   #253
Senior - BHPian

BHPians, don't know if it has been posted here before, but, according to Autocar, the Grand i10 takes 20.25 sec to hit 100kph. I think I'd be yawning before it reaches there. Again, according to Autocar, Swift touches 100kph in 13.5 sec. Here's the link for the same.
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...-361833,4.aspx

Wondering how there is so much difference in performance.
Old 5th November 2013, 14:04   #254
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 7th November 2013 at 18:57.
Arjun1010 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th November 2013, 16:50   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn_out View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemus View Post
I also had a test-drive of the car about a month ago and I had my apprehensions about the keyless entry too!
Hence, once we were done with the TD and parked the vehicle, we (me and my friends) tried and tested various scenarios for the keyless entry.

- To unlock the vehicle the key has to be much closer to the car, 4-5 feet is what we tested.
- I took the key away, around 10 feet and then my friend tried opening the car and it didn't.
- To start the car, the key MUST be inside the car. You cannot start the car if the key is out of the vehicle.
- We even tested if the car autolocks once the key goes out of the range, but I am sorry I am just not able to recall if it didn't happen.

If that is not the case and if it's a problem of programming of the keyless module, then I believe the car thieves would be more than thankful for these posts and Grand i10 will be India's most stolen car for sure!!
Hi Folks,

Since I am using the keyless feature on a day to day basis on my Grand i10, let me clear some fears for you:

As Teemus says, first the key has to be inside the car, before the car can be switched on. You can be on the passenger side, and let your friend start the car without handing over the key to him. However, if you are sitting in the rear seat, your friend will not be able to start the car. So the distance is very very less.

Secondly, here is a scenario I tested multiple times. Lets say you are standing right next to the passenger side door with the remote key in your pocket, and your friend is pushing the black button on the driver side door - the car will not open!!!! You can open the car from the passenger side, and only you can. But rest assured, if you are standing more than 3 feet (say at a roadside tea shop), the car cannot be opened. And even if it is opened, it cannot be started.

Like Teemus says, the rep might have had a spare key in his pocket or it may have been a faulty car (although I doubt that). I would suggest testing the keyless entry multiple times to clear any doubts personally. But nope, I do not fear that my car can be stolen at all. In fact, in case you leave the door unlocked, and if someone tries to manually start the ignition by pinching the wires, the car will not start. If you leave the keys inside the car, and try to lock the car from the outside buttons - the car will not lock. It has been solidly designed - rest assured.

I have driven close to 1000kms in it, and apart from the lack of greater power and lower end torque (which is the same in all cars in the segment), the car is something you just fall in love with. If it had a 1.6L engine or 1.4L engine - it will be the best car ever!
mechramc is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks