Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2013, 09:59   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosbert View Post
You said you do not want to compromise on ABS, airbags and AT. Not sure how i10 Grand fits the bill in that case. i10 Grand does not have ABS and airbags in their Asta AT variant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
Asta is available only with auto transmission and Asta (O) only with manual transmission. No Asta (O) in auto and no Asta in manual available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
Can you opt ABS and airbags for the AT version? If yes, then can you please give the final ex-showroom price of the car inclusive of the options?
This is surprising.
I just checked out the Hyundai India site for the Grand i10. There is a built your own link which shows that the Asta variant of Grand i10 1.2 Kappa 4 speed automatic has both ABS as well as driver/passenger airbags as options.
http://www.hyundai.com/in/en/Shoppin...age/index.html

In fact it lists out all the items given below as part of the variant or optional.
Asta Variant
Grand i10 1.2 Kappa Dual VTVT 4 Speed Automatic Transmission
  • 1 GB Internal Memory
  • ABS (Option)
  • Adjustable Rear Seat Headrests
  • Bluetooth Connectivity
  • Clean Silver Alloy Wheels
  • Diamond Cut Alloy Wheels (Option)
  • Driver & Passenger Airbags (Option)
  • Driver Seat Height Adjuster
  • Leather-wrapped Steering Wheel
  • Rear Defogger
  • Rear Spoiler
  • Rear Washer & Wiper
  • Steering Wheel Mounted Controls (Audio & Bluetooth)
  • Tilt Steering

Last edited by wilful : 6th December 2013 at 10:02.
Old 6th December 2013, 15:50   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
This is surprising.
I just checked out the Hyundai India site for the Grand i10. There is a built your own link which shows that the Asta variant of Grand i10 1.2 Kappa 4 speed automatic has both ABS as well as driver/passenger airbags as options.
http://www.hyundai.com/in/en/Shoppin...age/index.html

In fact it lists out all the items given below as part of the variant or optional.
Asta Variant
The options are part of Asta(O) variant which is available only with manual transmission and not for AT variants.
msmatic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 19:13   #318
Senior - BHPian

The website is misleading then. Sad that Hyundai have removed 2 of the essential safety features in the AT version. Perhaps they feel it would push the price to unpalatable levels? Be that as it may, I feel these are must have (optionl) features for the Grand AT.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 23:52   #319

Dear All,

couple of weeks back I took a very short test drive on Grand i10, Sportz, petrol. I would hereby like to share my experience and have a few questions too.

As opinions formed from any TD depend on many factors including the ones that are hard to describe objectively, here is the context first:
Variant: Sportz, Petrol
Time: due to late arrival of Hyundai folks, I had only 10 minutes at hand before I had to run for other work.
Terrain: decently levelled tar road as usual, except for two short uneven patches I deliberately drove over instead of avoiding, just to get a feel of the suspension etc.
Opinions or observations would also depend on my previous experience and expectations, I believe, so here it is:

I had driven a Hyundai Santro for around 35000 KM, including some 1200 KM on Highways and rest mostly on city roads. Little longer than last one year I have been driving a VW Vento TDI Highline, done some 12000 KM so far, including just about 1500 KM on highways.
Besides, I have driven rented cars, few thousands of KMs on German Autobahns, but due to the obvious differences of road quality, I would not let that influence any experience here.

My questions would be on the brakes, hence I add here, although you may know already too well, that Santro Xing, being an entry level hatchback, has nothing special on the brakes (typical front Disc and rear Drum) but decent enough, and the Vento TDI Highline has ABS (still Front Disc and Rear Drum, i.e. not Rear Discs like Verna).
Indeed, experience of braking would not depend only the brakes, but also on the overall body dynamics, tyres etc.

So, I knew upfront that I am not going to compare The Grand i10 with Vento (probably not with Polo either), but would expect better than the Santro for sure, i.e. the experience would be, I thought, somewhere in-between these two limits – humble Santro and awesome Vento.

I found the Grand i10 suspension really good, way above average in the segment, Steering extremely light for my taste but would be winner in usual city traffic, gear-shift feel as good as Hyundai can get you (really nice) and would not talk about the already heavily discussed interiors or features – those were pretty good.

The Brakes disappointed me, simply put.

Braking power or the ability to stop within a very short distance from a “high speed”, (I mean >60 KMPH as I am thinking City traffic), is not the only parameter I looked for, where the Grand i10 would do the job quite well. I am thinking of usual braking, e.g. when I see a speed breaker, or the spot I want to stop, or, most relevant example, a “bumper to bumper” traffic, etc.

It felt like something was biting the front wheels rather sharp and suddenly. There was no “progressive” or gradual feeling. A crude analogy would be if you broke only the front brake of a two wheeler hard while not doing anything with the rear! (You would never want to do it).

The car ‘pitched’ every time the nasty brake took the bite. I tried being gentler the next time. But then I felt I kept pressing the pedal within ‘free play’ only, i.e. not actuating it soon enough. And when it did bite, note, that I was hardly at 30 KMPH, the car did pitch, and stopped, of course!

Okay, if I drive someone else’s car, even the same make-model that I believe I am familiar with, I would feel some differences for few minutes. The ‘free play’ of the pedal differs, the greasing etc. depend on the quality of the ‘last service’ done and so on. What I took a TD on was indeed one of those ‘Demo cars’ that are slightly abused, and the way the Hyundai folks are catering to many TD requests per day, I am sure they have not maintained that piece of car well enough!

But how much of this experience I could I afford to attribute to my ‘feelings’ which may be wrong?
Or to the condition of the particular piece of car I drove?
And how much would be the actual problem, if any?
Can I assume that these would be initial niggles that would get better in later batches?
Or is the design itself is little weird?

The Hyundai person sincerely attempted to convince me that it is a powerful brake, and I failed to make him understand that it is not the power and rather the lack of linearity, and the body pitch that I was uncomfortable with.
Looking for answers, I read the original post from GTO again in detail. And even the preview one from .Anshuman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

We've never had an issue with the brakes of Hyundai cars and the Grand i10 is no different. The brakes work as expected in terms of pedal feel & capability. Although some might find the bite to be a bit too sharp, it's easy to get a hang of. Replicating an emergency braking manouveur from 90 kph, the Grand i10 stopped in a straight line without drama. It's important to mention that the i10's brakes feel superior to the LXi / LDi & VXi / VDi variants of the Swift (no complaints with the Swift ZXi / ZDi).
.Anshuman wrote:
Quote:
While ABS will be standard on the top variants, rear disc brakes are not available on any variant. You'll see small drums at the rear instead. The brakes are well calibrated and stopping power is sufficient.
GTO touched upon the point, didn’t he?

Note, again, that I was not biased on this braking stuff by the review from GTO before I took the TD, rather came back and read again carefully after I took the TD.

So, it would be great if GTO could respond, or any of you who have taken a TD longer than my 10 minutes' scope, or already own one!

Is the brake way too sharp to surprise the car behind me for my “sudden” or abrupt slow-downs that you observe in a learner’s car?
Or, even if they were good with their reflexes, is it worth enough to get used to a ‘pitch’ feel, every time I brake?
Is the feeling of ‘pitching’ worth for the co-passengers whose reflex works later than the driver’s?

Or, am I asking for too much from a hatch without Brake-assist etc.? (Recall: I am not talking of Asta, but only up to Sportz petrol).

Kindly share your experience particular to this aspect. Also, it would be great if you mention the “yardsticks” against which you formed your opinion on the Grand i10 brakes.

Hyundai folks are insisting I take another TD. I hope to get some more insights from you before I do so, should I take another TD at all.

Thanks and Regards,
Old 12th December 2013, 12:16   #320
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seshadri75 View Post
It felt like something was biting the front wheels rather sharp and suddenly. There was no “progressive” or gradual feeling. A crude analogy would be if you broke only the front brake of a two wheeler hard while not doing anything with the rear! (You would never want to do it).

The car ‘pitched’ every time the nasty brake took the bite. I tried being gentler the next time. But then I felt I kept pressing the pedal within ‘free play’ only, i.e. not actuating it soon enough. And when it did bite, note, that I was hardly at 30 KMPH, the car did pitch, and stopped, of course!
Hi Seshadri75,

I haven't test driven a Grand i10 yet, but I can perfectly understand the thing that you have described. You are spot on with your observations about the sudden bite and lack of linearity.

We have an i10 and I have experienced exactly the same thing in our car some time ago. Instead of a linear progressive feel on the brake pedal, there would be a sudden bite, the rear of the car would kind of lurch forward and the car would come to a halt. Depending on the condition of the road and the tyres, the wheels may even lock up on sudden braking.

This is not an issue with the car's brakes per se. It is an issue with maintenance. Since it was a test drive (demo) car, I guess it would have been abused by many drivers and not serviced on schedule.

We experienced the same thing on our car before the first paid service. It could be a bit scary at times, especially if the wheels lock up on sudden braking. The service centre cleaned the brakes thoroughly during the first paid service (I don't remember the exact cost for this, but should be ~ Rs. 600 or so). The issue just vanished after that, and the brake pedal feel became linear and progressive, just as it should be.

I guess it's the same issue with the demo car. My guess is that dust and the tiny debris left by dirty water (puddles/rain) gets trapped between the brake discs and brake pads. Over time, these accumulate to the point where the brakes bite immediately and suddenly on pressing the brake pedal, instead of doing so in a linear and progressive manner. Cleaning the brakes during periodic maintenance services (if required) should sort out the problem and bring back the linear feel to the brake pedal.

Ask the dealer guys to send the demo car to their service centre and do a brake cleaning. Then take a test drive in the same car. You will be surprised at the completely different, linear and progressive feel of the brake pedal.

Last edited by RSR : 12th December 2013 at 12:25.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 12:29   #321
BHPian

I had recently purchased a Grand i10 Asta after having read GTO's review threadbare. The brakes are very linear and progressive. I have driven it extensively and have not found anything that required attention. Since, I also own an i20 Asta(o) and i10 sportz A/T, I feel that the suspension of Grand I10 is far better and superior than the other two. It is a wonderful car. You should try and do another test drive with a different dealer. I am sure you will feel the difference.
mints21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2013, 22:23   #322
rbp
BHPian

I own a 2009 i20 Diesel, done around 44K and I know the pluses and minuses inside out as far as Hyundai's are considered.
Yesterday I test drove the grand i10 automatic, and I couldn't believe the Grand i10's ride quality, it is leagues ahead of the i20, absolutely no comparison, I purposely took it over speed breakers with four people in the car and the car took each and every pothole effortlessly, I would never do the same in my car because of its bone jarring suspension. The auto box was nothing special to write about, the one thing I liked is the ability to manually shift gears on the fly[Sorry I don't know what it is called]. The steering is typical Hyundai feather light, the biggest disappointment was no airbags and ABS. All in all I was impressed with Hyundai' improvement in the ride quality. Another + was the rear legroom, it was more comfortable then my i20 for sure.
rbp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 15:23   #323
BHPian

My friend has a Diesel Magna Grand I10 and even, I have observed that it has that sudden brake bite feel to it.However, while approaching a speed bump, you can just take a feel of the brake and start to depress in a very slow and linear manner and not pump it which saves the front from diving(and anyone rearending from behind!!!).
Old 25th December 2013, 11:03   #324
BHPian

Hi Friends ,

I have finally booked Grand i 10 AT Asta , Orange colour on 16th December 2013. I have booked it with Shreenath Hyundai , Chembur - Mumbai by paying a basic booking amount. They have not yet confirmed any date/status of car allotment but have verbally informed that it could be in next 20-25 days or so. They also told me that this colour is not readily available in this variant and needs to be ordered. I shall keep you all posted as it progresses.

Regards
Amol
amolathalye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 15:39   #325
BHPian

[quote=amolathalye;3327757]Hi Friends ,

I have finally booked Grand i 10 AT Asta , Orange colour on 16th December 2013. I have booked it with Shreena

Congrats amolathalye for booking the new car. The delivery may take little longer as the plants are shut because of maintenance and the company is busy clearing inventory for the 2013 model. I would suggest, wait a while and ask your dealer to give you a 2014 model car. All the best and I will be waiting to hear the good news of the car delivery from you.
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 15:56   #326

I have made the booking for an i10 grand AT (Asta) for my wife, this is after the booking made for the EON for my Dad! I must have helped the sales guy achieve his december target by booking 2 cars .

Got no discounts whatsoever on the Grand, and they are out of stock. They have to place an order for the car and have promised delivery by Jan end.
meteor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 17:21   #327
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Varun Sharma shares the following email. Putting it up in case it helps other Grand i10 owners:

Quote:
Hello Mods,

I am writing to you to bring to your attention, my plight with a brand new Grand i10 Sportz CRDI. I believe it’s worth the share because there may be many people who would benefit from this post. Please share this if you feel necessary.

It all started with the thought of replacing my Ritz VXI with a diesel. I had decided to drive to work every day which would be about 55km a day and hence the need for a diesel. The Ritz was my second car and had clocked 15k. Other than the fuel economy I found it to be a reasonably good car. The choice I had in mind

1. Ford Figo (Exi/Zxi) Tdci – (proven vehicle, lot of discounts, bigger than ritz in terms of boot)

2. Ritz Vdi – Had a Vxi so knew the devil in and out

3. Micra Diesel – Just a thought

Test drove both the Ritz Vdi and Figo and found that Figo had a lighter clutch compared to the two but Ritz offered me more head room.
With discounts running on Figo, it made a better buy. Metro Ford offered me 3.5Lakhs for my car (2011make)+15K bonus. Bimal Maruti offered me 3.75.
With Figo Zxi, I would get a OEM stereo and remote locks. For Ritz Vdi I would have had to buy them separately. So I decided to go ahead with Figo.

The day before I was to book the Figo, I thought about Grand i10 Diesel which was just 3 weeks after its launch. I gave Lakshmi Hyundai a call and checked if I could get a test drive. The same evening (7.00PM) a test drive was arranged and I was floored by Grandi10’s design. The clutch was light, the gear shift was smooth. Had enough space. The Sportz Crdi came with remote lock and audio. Immediately I decided to go with Grandi10.

Next day checked with lakshmi Hyundai for an exchange and got a quote of 3.5 for my Ritz. The on road prize being 7.2 For Sportz, my budget was stretched but was happy that I am getting a new and fresh design. More happier because was going to get a car with a fancy Start/Stop button which later turned out to be a nightmare.

Since I went in for exchange got the new vehicle within 10 days of booking. The whole process of exchange + booking + finance + delivery was pretty smooth. Got the feel of royal treatment with flower , picture and chocolate during delivery. Maruti guys still need to learn from Hyundai.

Within a month I had already driven 1500km and got the car serviced at Lakshmi Hyundai. One fine day as usual took the car out for some work near to home and came back and parked it at my home. 10 Mins later had to go get some more stuff so decided to go by car and I with the smart key walk up to the door and press the request sensor and the door unlocks. I open the door and I get audible beeps from the car. Initially I didn’t pay an attention to it. I then close the door and push the Start button and nothing happens. I press in a second time and I get a beep three times but the ignition itself wont turn on. I press the clutch again and hit the switch nothing happens. I get out of the car lock it and unlock with the button on remote and get in and try to start the car nothing happens. I try this two more times but in vain. I then switch on the parking and fog lamps and they turn on indicating the battery is fine. The audio system which should turn on with clutch pressed doesn’t turn on either. The ignition which was suppose to turn on without the clutch pressed doesn’t happen either.

I then get out and call the service advisor at Lakshmi Hyundai telling them about the problem. He tells me he is going to send his roadside assistance guy but its going to take time as he is busy with some other customer. He then asks me to call central helpline. I call up the central helpline and they sent a technician within 20mins of the call. He came with a spare battery to check if the battery was dead. He checked and said that battery is fine there is some issue with the electrical system and he requests for a tow vehicle so I can take it to the nearest ASS which is Lakshmi Hyundai. Mean while the Lakshmi Hyundai on road assistance guy shows up and checks and he to confirm the issue to be within the electrical system.

An hour and half later the tow vehicle arrives and I have it towed to Lakshmi Hyundai. Its around 6 on a Saturday when the car is brought to the ASS. Immediately the service advisor has a team of 2 electricians who take a look at the car. They get the G Scan (OBD Device) and plug it in and then figure out that in order for G Scan to give an error code or shows whats wrong, the ignition should be ON. In this case the Ignition itself is not turning ON and hence G Scan is useless. In the mean time one more electrician checks for all the fuses and they turn out to be good. Its 6.30PM by then and I decide to get back home.

For the next two days they still cant figure out whats happening and thats when they call in their Trainer. He supposedly gets trained from Hyundai and he in turn trains the ASS staff whenever a new vehicle is launched.

His plan of action is simple but time consuming. They strip down the vehicle to access all the electrical circuits. Remove all the electrical components and with a multimeter start checking each circuit to see if the issue lies in the wiring. Since this is a model, they don’t yet have the wiring diagrams and they request Hyundai to email them. This process takes about two days and at the end they find no issues with the wiring.

Since they don’t have spares for this model, they cannot swap the sensors or the computer modules (There are in total 7 Computer Modules controlling a host of different systems) and check which one has an issue.

A work around they device is to swap the components from the demo vehicle (Asta Variant) with my car and check for issues. This can only be done after evening 6 as the demo car is out for demo in the mornings. After two more days they indentify the problem to with the ignition and steering lock module. They place the order for a replacement part with Hyundai Chennai. This took about 5 days. The parts arrives on Wednesday morning and they take a couple of hours to fit and reprogram the keys and do an alignment and a quick wash and hand over the car.

This was one experience I will never forget.

The technicians who worked on the car said that this is the first time this particular component had conked out in the history.

I guess it was just my bad luck to get a car with a defective component. In the ten days the car was in the ASS, I was given a loner vehicle and to be frank the guys at Lakshmi Hyundai were courteous and helpful.

Regards
Varun
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 21:26   #328
BHPian

Wow that's one hell of an experience after purchasing a new car. But what should be appreciated here is the commitment from you HASS.
sabsubs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 23:27   #329
Senior - BHPian

That is a pretty nasty experience with a new car but the service centre helped him with full commitment and even provided the customer a loaner car, from another horror story this turned to a happy ending. Kudos to your service centre.

No one would love to see his new car ripped apart for checking electrical faults but component failure in a new car is bad luck and there are some issues in the initial batches which do get rectified later (like glow plug recall for ecosport).

Have fun with your Grand Varun, hope it is a smooth sail from now. My friend had a issue with his Grand's rear right tail light, going into a pothole hard, the plate inside the tail lamp broke and was continuosly rattling, he mailed Hyundai and the said part was replaced under warranty with no questions asked.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 23:42   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Varun Sharma shares the following email. Putting it up in case it helps other Grand i10 owners:
Varun has been lucky and the most noticeable thing is the support from Hyundai after sale service. I have five Hyundai cars with me today and I have absolutely no complaint with the after sale service.

Varun's case is a case in isolation. This happened with me after just 4 kms of drive immediately after taking delivery of the car. I had shared my experience in this forum.(thread :flat bed trucks would run out of business)

Varun should feel lucky that it was Hyundai he choose and not Skoda. Imagine Skoda's handling of a similar plight.

Best wishes
mints21 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks