Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2014, 04:44   #391
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

I haven't been following news on Hyundai cars, and I am a bit ignorant about their offerings too. Is the "New Hyundai i10 1.2 Premium" same as the Grand i10?

News link that was up today: http://www.motoring.co.uk/car-news/n...m-review_61637
Old 8th March 2014, 09:01   #392
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay87kumar View Post
Is the "New Hyundai i10 1.2 Premium" same as the Grand i10?
The best answer to this would be yes and no. Yes because the styling and interiors are the same, and both are i10. Hyundai however decided to modify the i10 for Indian needs. The Grand is 4 inches longer than the European i10 Premium and has rear a.c vents. The European model though, has a whole host of additional features like heated steering wheel, 6 airbags, ESP, auto a.c, LED's up front, cruise control and tire pressure monitoring.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 09:59   #393
Distinguished - BHPian

The airbags and ABS are available only on the top end variant? Is that correct?
Old 8th March 2014, 11:11   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The airbags and ABS are available only on the top end variant? Is that correct?
Unfortunately, yes.

ABS and airbags are actually provided only with the Asta(O) variant. Very bad move from Hyundai IMO.
Speed.Demon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 21:12   #395
BHPian

Hi,

Got my Grand i10 Asta Automatic Petrol a few weeks ago. Cute little car and drives pretty well in the city. I am 6ft 4inches tall and can sit comfortably in the front seat.

Strange problem that I faced is that the car wont start if I park it for more than 2 days. 1 day, it starts, 2nd day patchy, but it starts. 2+ days and it just wouldnt start. The battery is fine; the headlights glow up and all that.

Turns out that it is the brake switch that is causing this trouble. I checked if the brake lights come on when I depress the pedal before starting. It comes on when I park it for up to 2 days. On the third day, I need to really press down (and I mean really hard) on the brake pedal before the brake lights turns on.

By the third day I am guessing that the vacuum in the booster leaks away leading to the brake switch not actuating. That is the reason the brake lights do not turn on and the computer thinks the brakes are not engaged.
On the automatic, you cannot start the engine till you engage the brakes.
So it wont start. When you press down really hard, the switch closes and the engine starts.

Was really frustrating before I figured this out since I was not sure if it was a problem with the computer, the starter or anything else.

I will get the switch calibrated or replaced at first service. However, posting here just in case others also have similar problems.
harikrishnanm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 13:54   #396
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harikrishnanm View Post
...I will get the switch calibrated or replaced at first service. However, posting here just in case others also have similar problems.
Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
...Turns out that it is the brake switch that is causing this trouble. I checked if the brake lights come on when I depress the pedal before starting. It comes on when I park it for up to 2 days. On the third day, I need to really press down (and I mean really hard) on the brake pedal before the brake lights turns on...
Sorry, but to check - Doesn't the brake pedal become hard when you pump it when the engine is switched off? Are you referring to this?
Old 12th March 2014, 14:03   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Thanks for sharing.

Sorry, but to check - Doesn't the brake pedal become hard when you pump it when the engine is switched off? Are you referring to this?
Yes. That is exactly what I am referring to. It becomes hard because the booster loses its vacuum every time you pump the brake and the vacuum pump is not running because the engine is off.

Last edited by harikrishnanm : 12th March 2014 at 14:12. Reason: Spelling error
Old 12th March 2014, 15:18   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. That is exactly what I am referring to. It becomes hard because the booster loses its vacuum every time you pump the brake and the vacuum pump is not running because the engine is off.
This seems quite normal , I observe this behaviour on my Astar AT which comes with ABS and EBD.
Old 12th March 2014, 15:56   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
This seems quite normal , I observe this behaviour on my Astar AT which comes with ABS and EBD.
Yes. It is normal. However due to this and the faulty or poorly calibrated brake switch, you cant start the car until you really press down hard on the brake pedal.

My wife drives an Automatic Scorpio and I dont see this problem of not starting up ever in that one. Anyway, its a minor issue and can be quickly sorted out.
Old 12th March 2014, 17:52   #400
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's a quite normal behavior as you say.

Quote:
...My wife drives an Automatic Scorpio and I dont see this problem of not starting up ever in that one. Anyway, its a minor issue and can be quickly sorted out.
Did you have someone from Hyundai accept it as a fault? You post has a tone that this indeed is verified by someone. Anyway, please do keep us posted.
Old 12th March 2014, 23:17   #401
Team-BHP Support

Guys, what is the exact turning radius of the Grand i10? Specially the automatic variant.

I do not see this covered in the review.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 07:36   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Guys, what is the exact turning radius of the Grand i10? Specially the automatic variant.
Amusing! Its not even there in the official website. Is it really very high?

Jokes apart, I see that the i10 page from UK puts it at 4.78 m. Should be the same here.

http://www.hyundai.co.uk/new-cars/i10

Spec > Technical > Steering
Old 16th March 2014, 21:01   #403
BHPian

I test drove the i10 Grand Petrol today. I'm looking for a replacement for my Santro Xing. The controls were extremely light and what a silent car. The interiors looked good, and seemed well built. It's sad that ABS and airbags is offered only on the Asta(O). Also, disappointed that the Sportz misses out on bluetooth.
I have some questions. How is the AC and How does the stock system sound?
and what are the realistic mileage figures?
I didn't drive it fast, I found the low end to be bad compared to my Santro.It doesn't take off in second gear :( Is the top end good? I read a few pages back, that the low end grunt is just a matter of getting used to..
And on the driving front, the i20 petrol, is it marginally slower or noticeable more so? I am yet to drive the i20.
Old 16th March 2014, 22:07   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
I test drove the i10 Grand Petrol today. I'm looking for a replacement for my Santro Xing. The controls were extremely light and what a silent car. The interiors looked good, and seemed well built. It's sad that ABS and airbags is offered only on the Asta(O). Also, disappointed that the Sportz misses out on bluetooth.
I didn't drive it fast, I found the low end to be bad compared to my Santro.It doesn't take off in second gear :( Is the top end good? I read a few pages back, that the low end grunt is just a matter of getting used to..
And on the driving front, the i20 petrol, is it marginally slower or noticeable more so? I am yet to drive the i20.

As an owner of grand i10, i would rate the A/C to be quite good. Stock system is ok. I get around 12-13 in peak hr traffic in blore with A/C. The low end is definetly bad in the grand but as u said u get used to it once u get to know the engine better. I havent stretched my car on the highway yet so cant really comment on the top end grunt. All the best for ur search.
spiler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2014, 23:15   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
Also, disappointed that the Sportz misses out on bluetooth.
Really? Surprised to hear that.
Quote:
The AC is good enough, it works.
Stock system is adequate, does the job for non-audiophile ears.
Sound from the Bluetooth streaming is a little subdued , but that is my subjective opinion. Solution is to raise the volume slightly.

Quote:
I have driven mine for close to 3400 kms in 3 months.
I extract about 480 Kms (tank full) without AC (till now, since it was winters)
But consider, that my driver drives like a maniac and is poor with gearing.
You can assume I drive about 300 kms , and the rest 180 is driven by him.

I suspect I can extract 500 easily by driving exclusively, since I drive conservatively, and can manage the gear shifts quite well.
There is no range/DTE system in the car ( much to my utter disgust), no average calculations on the MDI, no instant average figures either.

Quote:
I didn't drive it fast, I found the low end to be bad compared to my Santro.It doesn't take off in second gear :( Is the top end good?
Extremely short gears. Top - end is fair enough.

The car is ridiculously light. After my punto, this feels like a toy. The dynamics are much better than I expected out of a Hyundai an is a step in the right direction. ( I have had some bad experiences with Verna on the highways).

Overall does the job well in the city. I have an asta (o), all the bells and whistles, looks good, drives well. No niggles, the build quality is excellent.

Without AC - Average - 14
With AC - Average - 12 (Expected)
smilenow is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks