Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2013, 17:07   #121
BHPian

Superb review as usual GTO, crisp, precise and had every thing that one would need to know everything about the car. One thing I felt missing was the inclusion of Ritz in it. Even though you have included Swift, Ritz would have been a ideal competitors as people who buy swift for a great drive and it's immense brand equity, will not look at this car. But people who buy Ritz would definitely compare with Grand i10.
Just my opinion.
appu.bhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 17:47   #122
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Excellent review. Excellent detailing.

I joined team bhp community recently, but I am reading the official reviews, ownership reviews from long time. As always, the reviews are getting better and better.

Its my pleasure to share with you all that I booked grand i10 diesel few weeks back. This is my first car, I have selected twilight blue but still my family is deciding on color.
Dealer gave me choice of changing color until vehicle gets registered.

I am planning to take delivery of car in mid of October. My family wants it on auspicious day.

I took test drive of both petrol and diesel cars. Need not say much about kappa engine. But I should say that petrol engine is well muted and revv-happy. For a second, I was trying to find out whether car has started or not.
Diesel engine was bit noisy, after sometime I felt noise levels were acceptable. The car is excellent to drive in city corners, good braking and short throw gearbox. Yes, this engine is more suited to sedate driving style.
GRAND23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 18:34   #123
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
I am not familiar with diesel gear boxes and I would request someone to please throw more light on my following queries:

1. Do gear boxes in other diesel engines follow a similar placement/activation for the 'reverse' gear, as is present in the Grand i10?

2. If so, why is the placement/activation of the 'reverse' gear designed that way and what purpose does it serve?

3. If not, why could the Grand i10 have adopted this design for the gear box?

4. Is the traditional placement of the 'reverse' gear in a petrol Grand i10 not more convenient and easier to use, especially for new drivers?

Some info on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
1. It depends on the manufacturer. Some have the conventional H layout with the reverse gear in line with fifth, while others have it this way. Hyundai seem to have designed their six-speed gearboxes with this layout, while the five-speed ones have the conventional H layout.

2. The placement is probably because the Grand i10 diesel's gearbox is derived from the i20 diesel's gearbox, with only five forward gears instead of six. The activation mechanism for reverse (lever pull in this case) is very necessary because otherwise, the universal action to engage first gear would engage reverse (one can imagine the resulting disaster).

3. I guess the diesel Grand i10 has this design only because its gearbox is a five-speed unit derived from the diesel i20's six-speed gearbox.

4. Yes, indeed. The conventional H layout of the petrol is much more convenient, especially for new drivers. But Hyundai didn't use it because the petrol Grand i10's gearbox probably was designed to work with less torque than what the diesel Grand i10's engine generates. So they probably had to use the i20 diesel's gearbox without the sixth gear.

I feel this is where Hyundai could have gone one step further. Using the i20 diesel's gearbox as it is (with the 6th gear) would have improved the highway performance of the Grand i10 diesel, not to mention pushed up fuel efficiency a bit as well. More than the fuel efficiency, the Grand i10's small 1.1 lit. CRDi unit needs the improved highway performance that a six-speed gearbox can provide.

That would have pushed up the diesel Grand i10's cost by Rs.10,000 to Rs.12,000. For sometime, the diesel i20 was available with a 5-speed gearbox instead of a 6-speed unit with a similar price reduction, because of a shortage of six-speed units at that time. The diesel i20 came with only a six-speed unit after the shortage was addressed.

But I guess Hyundai really want the Grand i10 to make an impact on the sales charts, and therefore opted to sell the diesel with a 5-speed unit and an aggressive price tag. The Grand i10 diesel is a rare car where the difference between the petrol and diesel variants (for the same trim level) is less than Rs.1 lac, ex-showroom.

Last edited by RSR : 21st September 2013 at 18:38.
RSR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 19:07   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
I feel this is where Hyundai could have gone one step further. Using the i20 diesel's gearbox as it is (with the 6th gear) would have improved the highway performance of the Grand i10 diesel, not to mention pushed up fuel efficiency a bit as well. More than the fuel efficiency, the Grand i10's small 1.1 lit. CRDi unit needs the improved highway performance that a six-speed gearbox can provide.

That would have pushed up the diesel Grand i10's cost by Rs.10,000 to Rs.12,000. For sometime, the diesel i20 was available with a 5-speed gearbox instead of a 6-speed unit with a similar price reduction, because of a shortage of six-speed units at that time. The diesel i20 came with only a six-speed unit after the shortage was addressed.
Imagine if Hyundai had included the i20's 6-speed gear box on the Grand i10. I would gladly have paid that extra Rs 10-12,000 for the possibility of better performance and fuel efficiency on the Grand i10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
The Grand i10 diesel is a rare car where the difference between the petrol and diesel variants (for the same trim level) is less than Rs.1 lac, ex-showroom.
While it is true that the "ex-showroom" price difference between the petrol and diesel variants (for the same trim level) is less than Rs.1 lac, the "on-road" price difference still exceeds Rs 1 lakh.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3230470
misquitas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 10:24   #125
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Imagine if Hyundai had included the i20's 6-speed gear box on the Grand i10. I would gladly have paid that extra Rs 10-12,000 for the possibility of better performance and fuel efficiency on the Grand i10.
Yeah. And said good-bye to the overpriced i20 in the bargain ?
Old 22nd September 2013, 14:02   #126
MYB
BHPian

Did a test drive of both diesel and petrol variants. Variants provided to me were Asta and Sportz for diesel and petrol respectively. While the petrol is super smooth at idle (you can't say if it is on), diesel does give out a few undulations near foot resting area of the driver (idle time vibrations). Push the car and petrol really zips, diesel doesn't do bad either. The vibrations in diesel cease to exist after the initial rpm range (as duly pointed out by GTO). The leg room is quite generous and my friend who accompanied me for the test drive said that he was really comfortable in the back seat. The SA indicated that the AT might come by November end or December stating they had received a few brochure kind of a thing which had AT mentioned in it. As a side note, he said that his own personal drive returned 20 kmpl on diesel but he was pushing me to buy petrol if my usage is less than 1.5 kms per month, which makes sense and is also applicable to me since I mostly drive on weekends.

Now, if my Ikon trade in value is good, I might go for one of the two variants (petrol or diesel). Would like the experts' opinion on which one to go for. SA had just called up saying additional 10k discounts are on just for today. Meanwhile, hefty discounts on i20 which include close to 47k of corporate and exchange discount plus this 10k making me think of i20 petrol. Really confused. But budget is strictly 6 to 6.5k on-road in Bangalore. Senior BHP-ians, request you to give your quick suggestions please.

Last edited by MYB : 22nd September 2013 at 14:05. Reason: proof reading
MYB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 17:15   #127
BHPian

Hello everyone,
This is my first post in the forum after my membership got approved recently. I have been a passive reader for many years.

First of all a big thank you to GTO for the wonderful review. Also, congrats to Hyundai for getting most of the things right for this car. I fell in love with this car the moment I saw this the first time on Team-BHP.

We are planning to upgrade our loved Santro soon, by the end of the year and this ticks all the boxes for us. I am planning to get the TD sometime in next week. Will post my experience once done.
Old 22nd September 2013, 18:50   #128
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYB View Post
Now, if my Ikon trade in value is good, I might go for one of the two variants (petrol or diesel). Would like the experts' opinion on which one to go for. SA had just called up saying additional 10k discounts are on just for today. Meanwhile, hefty discounts on i20 which include close to 47k of corporate and exchange discount plus this 10k making me think of i20 petrol. Really confused. But budget is strictly 6 to 6.5k on-road in Bangalore. Senior BHP-ians, request you to give your quick suggestions please.
suggestion : since you mainly drive weekends get the grand petrol.
I know this is going to sound insane & will stretch your budget - if going for i20, go for the diesel, coz unlike the petrol i20, the 1.4 CRDI gem will somewhat make you forget the lack of steering feel on the highways with dollops of torque & punch - you will never downshift for overtakes

Last edited by venkyhere : 22nd September 2013 at 18:51. Reason: grammar
venkyhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 10:18   #129
BHPian

Recently test drove the Grand i10 petrol version and in addition to the positives (superb interiors, improved steering, good handling, etc), my observations are as below:
  • The driving position felt very low, for a short person. So only the top end Asta with driver seat height adjustment would make sense for a short person. This is in line with GTO's review that states short drivers need to check if the dashboard feels low without height adjustment. Didnt get a chance to increase the seat height & check the drive though. Deal breaker for me as my wife is on the short side & I feel the Asta version is pricey
  • There was quite a bit of road noise filtering into the cabin, I think this was the tyre noise. This is my personal observation, though the review does state very good NVH. Did anyone else notice this?
csanand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 13:51   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Meanwhile, hefty discounts on i20 which include close to 47k of corporate and exchange discount plus this 10k making me think of i20 petrol. Really confused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
I know this is going to sound insane & will stretch your budget - if going for i20, go for the diesel, coz unlike the petrol i20, the 1.4 CRDI gem will somewhat make you forget the lack of steering feel on the highways with dollops of torque & punch - you will never downshift for overtakes
I second what 'venkyhere' says. Driving the i20 1.2 petrol is a thoroughly underwhelming experience. If performance is a priority to you, I suggest you test drive the petrol i20 to find out whether it's powerful enough for you. I've test-driven the original i10-kappa2 and i20-petrol back to back and they were VERY different.
On the other hand, I haven't heard anybody complaining about the diesel i20's performance (save for the turbo lag).
SlowRider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 15:00   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRider View Post
I second what 'venkyhere' says. Driving the i20 1.2 petrol is a thoroughly underwhelming experience. If performance is a priority to you, I suggest you test drive the petrol i20 to find out whether it's powerful enough for you. I've test-driven the original i10-kappa2 and i20-petrol back to back and they were VERY different.
On the other hand, I haven't heard anybody complaining about the diesel i20's performance (save for the turbo lag).
If I am not mistaken, the Kappa2 engine is shared between the original i10, Grand i10 and i20. Of the three, the original i10 will be the pocket rocket, as the power/weight ration of the i10 is the highest compared to the heavier Grand i10 and still heavier i20.

That said, please confirm the following:
1. Costs to maintain an i20 diesel. I read somewhere in this forum sometime ago that the i20 diesel parts are expensive as they are imported.
2. If extended warranty is given to the i20 diesel. I think that the i20 diesel does not have extended warranty, but the situation may have changed and I could be wrong.
Old 23rd September 2013, 19:05   #132
MYB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post

Thanks Venkyhere. I intend to use it more as a city runabout hence the highway manners are of not that big importance. Moreover, Liva diesel is doing an excellent job for me on the highways and the fuel efficiency is really good too.

Quote:
If performance is a priority to you, I suggest you test drive the petrol i20 to find out whether it's powerful enough for you.
Thank you SlowRider. Performance is not on the top of my mind because I do more of sedate driving and less of the former. What do you suggest then?
Old 23rd September 2013, 19:52   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Performance is not on the top of my mind because I do more of sedate driving and less of the former. What do you suggest then?
Well, the i20 is a butter-smooth drive to be honest. With the light steering and soft contols, it'll be a delight in the city. But I don't know how it fares compared to Grand-i10 as I've not driven that one; perhaps the more recent Hyundai has even more to offer. And theoretically you should get more kit on the Grand i10 for the same money. Plus (hopefully) better FE figures and more pep to dart into gaps. I'm a FE-oriented driver myself and tend to drive with very light throttle inputs, but when I test-drove the i20, I found its performance to be a deal-breaker. I do not need more power most of the time, but I like to know it's available when I need it.
SlowRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 20:28   #134
MYB
BHPian

Quote:
Well, the i20 is a butter-smooth drive to be honest. With the light steering and soft contols, it'll be a delight in the city
Thanks SlowRider. Even i10 Grand has a butter smooth engine (petrol) to be honest. I will really impressed with it. By the way, I think we are deviating from the actual topic of the thread. MODS: Please move our discussion of petrol vs diesel i20 to an appropriate thread.
Old 23rd September 2013, 21:18   #135
BANNED

Source: http://overdrive.in/news/hyundai-dis...-i10-in-india/

"Hyundai has stopped selling the i10 with the 1.2-litre, Kappa 2 petrol engine. It has also discontinued the top two Sportz and Asta trims on the i10 which sported the Kappa 2 engine...

The i10 will also not come with an automatic gearbox anymore with the Grand taking on that mantle as well."
romeomidhun is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks