Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2013, 10:47   #166
vij
BHPian

Re: Nissan Terrano : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abh1nav View Post
+1.

It's hard to pick Terrano over the Duster at the moment, unless you hate the looks of Duster and floored by looks of Terrano.
Its hard to "hate" Duster looks and "love" Terrano looks because their profiles are essentially same as we all know. But yeah, I sure liked the Terrano styling better and whatever accessories I wanted were there on it. Some I will get added.

Last edited by vij : 25th October 2013 at 10:49.
Old 25th October 2013, 12:40   #167
Team-BHP Support

The 100RXL as Vid mentioned is now quite a compelling proposition. Over any other variant. The only other option, in that case is the 85 RXL (O) (with the addition of navigation, alloys etc). I think an option w/o navigation is also available. So all in all 85 RXL (O) or the 110 RXL depending on power requirements would make a good buy.

Many would love the surge of power, but as per my experience I cas safely, say85 can be real savior for heavy city traffic. So people who want to buy should not just carried away by the extra power. (Of course its good, but evaluation of city driving conditions would help as well)
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 20:29   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
...So people who want to buy should not just carried away by the extra power. (Of course its good, but evaluation of city driving conditions would help as well)
Hey, could you please elaborate a bit about the city driving conditions with respect to the engine power? How will the 85hp engine be better than the 110hp? At lower rpms, won't both variants perform more or less identical (as they are the same engine)? It would be good to have a look at the torque/power delivery curves of the two variants if available.

Last edited by Reinhard : 25th October 2013 at 20:30.
Old 25th October 2013, 20:33   #169
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Hey, could you please elaborate a bit about the city driving conditions with respect to the engine power? How will the 85hp engine be better than the 110hp? At lower rpms, won't both variants perform more or less identical (as they are the same engine)? It would be good to have a look at the torque/power delivery curves of the two variants if available.
Just read the review on page 1 as well as the Duster review. It's clearly mentioned that the 85PS has a lighter clutch and minimal turbo lag whereas the 110PS suffers from heavier clutch and massive turbo lag before 2000rpm requiring frequent downshifts in city.

More details if you read the review.
Old 26th October 2013, 17:58   #170
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anil_neo View Post
Great review guys! (as always)

Was looking to get the XL Plus (85ps) variant, but seems like the Ex-showroom price is peaking over my budget. The Nissan website says1,133,300 for XL Plus & 10,66,300 for the XL. Bit surprised they are charging such a premium for a Passenger airbag + 4 alloys

Nissan Terrano XLD : 10.85L
Nissan Terrano XLD Plus: 11.13L

Price ex-showroom Hyd.

Difference is mainly for the alloys.

But the price for the alloys when you buy as accessory is 50k.

Last edited by vij : 26th October 2013 at 18:02.
Old 26th October 2013, 18:54   #171
BHPian

With the Duster feeling the pinch now, I guess once Nissan clear the backlog of bookings they will also start offering discount and then the price difference may closen.
terra85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 22:43   #172
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra85 View Post
With the Duster feeling the pinch now, I guess once Nissan clear the backlog of bookings they will also start offering discount and then the price difference may closen.
Normally in such agreements, the copycat agrees to keep the prices higher to an extent. So I doubt if the prices difference will lessen. I think pricing/discounts of Terrano will always depend on Duster's pricing.
vij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2013, 00:39   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
Normally in such agreements, the copycat agrees to keep the prices higher to an extent. So I doubt if the prices difference will lessen. I think pricing/discounts of Terrano will always depend on Duster's pricing.

, its only a matter of time. Another thing is why is Nissan not offering the XV without the rear ac.they must have known its not popular in the duster ?
terra85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2013, 23:49   #174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
Will people buy it just for the logo ? And a vehicle is not a proper SUV unless it has 4WD - pity there are so many of these 'pretenders' in India !
I see no real advantage in having permanent 4WD in a crossover that's going to see broken city roads and highways 99% of the time.

Sure, you can't call 'em blue-blooded SUVs if they don't come equipped with four wheel drive, but let's look at the market the car is aimed at.

Also, Let's not forget that 4WD adds a helluva lot of weight to the package. The effects of extra weight:

- Upsets handling and dynamics
- Requires more pulling power
- Increases fuel consumption

Nissan / Renault would do well to sell the 4WD models of the Terrano / Duster in limited numbers, to those who truly require it. (I believe it isn't very difficult given that they're made in India and then exported to other markets) But for all practical purposes, the 2WD variant works just fine. And I wouldn't go so far as to call them 'pretenders' given that they're reasonably capable even in their 2WD guises.
Old 28th October 2013, 00:00   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

Also, Let's not forget that 4WD adds a helluva lot of weight to the package. The effects of extra weight:

- Upsets handling and dynamics
- Requires more pulling power
- Increases fuel consumption
For traditional Body on frame SUVs with Transfer case, your theory is correct, but for soft roaders like CRV/Duster/Xtrail 4WD, the penalty for having 4WD is very minor as the vehicle runs in 2WD more most of the time.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 00:27   #176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
For traditional Body on frame SUVs with Transfer case, your theory is correct, but for soft roaders like CRV/Duster/Xtrail 4WD, the penalty for having 4WD is very minor as the vehicle runs in 2WD more most of the time.
Are you completely sure about that?

There is a reason why 4WD is available only on the 2.4 CR-V and not on the 2.0. Even the Duster 4WD is available only in the 110 variant, and it's not identical to the 110 sold here. Also, the car is going to continue lug-around all that extra weight in spite of the fact that it runs in 2WD mode most of the time. Besides, 4WD will be more expensive to buy.

Anyway, my point is that 4WD isn't an absolute requirement in the real world. If the need for a mud-plugger arises, one can always turn to other competent options in the market. Here in India, there are other options one can choose but in the UK market for instance, your only *NEW* option is the Duster.
Old 28th October 2013, 00:58   #177
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Are you completely sure about that?
The Yeti is a prime example. The XUV500 AWD being another example. With the AWD FE and handling dynamics are not compromised much at all.

It applies for vehicles like Fortuner which is full time 4WD.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 05:48   #178
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Yeti is a prime example. The XUV500 AWD being another example. With the AWD FE and handling dynamics are not compromised much at all. It applies for vehicles like Fortuner which is full time 4WD.

This is correct. The Yeti AWD and 2WD behave much the same as each other. The AWD, for the most part works in 2WD mode until AWD is actually needed.
The pure 2WD version feels a bit lighter though and it's clutch is certainly lighter and bites faster, like the Laura's.
In Europe recently I saw lots of Yetis including many of the 'Green-line' version, which is 2WD and touts greater efficiencies...
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 06:49   #179
Team-BHP Support

How much extra does the AWD variant weigh over the 2WD? If it's not too much more, I suppose it's not that big a factor. Weight is everything!

What's the reason for the absence of all wheel drive in the Duster (Terrano - mechanically identical) for the Indian market? Is it that it would be too expensive to sell, or are there only few takers? Or are they just cutting corners

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th October 2013 at 06:50.
Old 28th October 2013, 07:09   #180
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
How much extra does the AWD variant weigh over the 2WD? If it's not too much more, I suppose it's not that big a factor. Weight is everything! What's the reason for the absence of all wheel drive in the Duster (Terrano - mechanically identical) for the Indian market? Is it that it would be too expensive to sell, or are there only few takers? Or are they just cutting corners

There is a weight difference in the Yeti AWD and 2WD - about a 100 kgs.

The reason that the Duster and Terrano are not yet sold here in AWD form is the simple fact that maximum sales of any SUV in India, happens in its 2WD avatar.
This is right from the days when there used to be only the old Mahindra CJ jeeps available here. I know because I remember clearly that the Anamallais Agencies dealer in Coimbatore told me as much in the 1980's when my dad was going to pick up a new jeep for the plantation. The same thing was mirrored by the dealer in Ooty.

Now, the sales of AWD or 4WD is higher in Europe and other places because of some of the following reasons;
1. Higher perceived safety value
2. Psychological feel that the vehicle can take you anywhere pretty much
3. Requirement to handle issues like snow, ice and the slushy mush that results once the snow melts.
4. A larger number of vehicles out there are used to 'tow' something or other, which is why you will observe that most cars there have a retractable pintle hook and towing mechanism mounted on the back.
5. Generally those blokes have a more active, outdoorsy lifestyle than we do.
6. They have a greater DIY culture than we do and as of this moment do not have as much access to 'paid or hired help' the way we have, so their vehicles are more used as all round utility vehicles.

1. In India our typical SUV's are never asked for much more than the simple city commute and to add a bit of bling to the owners life!
2. Here, conditions are mostly dry enough to be managed by 2WD except in extreme cases like the plantations and other steep, slushy bits or sandy bits.
3. General plains based farm or gravel tracks can mostly be navigated by 2WD.
4. Else the user will typically have a tractor and/ or another jeep with a paid driver to run it.
5. 2WD is generally cheaper to buy at first and then is easier to maintain, run and handle on an on going basis.

My surmise is that there are far fewer takers for the AWD versions in India and this in a sense can be borne out by the fact that there are far fewer takers for the versins of these cars which are fully loaded with safety features too!

The average Indian car buyer will never shell out more than he has to, when buying a car.

If at all it is possible to save some bucks by dispensing legally (or illegally) with a few features, he will jump at the chance! So AWD and Safety generally do not figure largely in our Indian priority list.

For us it is more about space, perceived value, snob value, fuel efficiency and inexpensiveness to acquire, maintain and run...
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks