Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2016, 19:38   #1621
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezereo View Post
I have recently done a trip from Hyd to Shirdi and back in a month old Elite i20 CRDi. The lighting is pathetic to say the least. Looking for other alternatives/upgrades.

Anyone done a bulb upgrade without any additional task on Elite i20 ?

The SA here says I can go ahead with having auxiliary lamps fitted and it will not void any warranty.
Hi there! So I drive a lot on the highways and always want my car lights to be powerful. The stock headlamps of Elite i20 are just pathetic, I would say.

Wanted to get a wiring harness along with the relay done in my car but unfortunately, there's a plastic cap behind the bulb holder and hence could not get the ceramic holders fitted.

Opted for Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited instead. Nothing near to a 100/90W lighting but I would say its much better than the stock headlamps. Plus, a good solution for the morons on the opposite side who drive on high beams .

Do not think twice, just order it online or get it at a friendly neighbourhood place and you would like it!

Cheers!
Old 4th May 2016, 16:46   #1622
BHPian

Just completed my fourth service (First paid service) at 30000km.
In addition to the periodic service, got the following jobs done:
1) Oil & oil filter change
2) Air Filter Change
3) Coolant change (2 liters?)
4) Brake fluid top up
5) Gear oil level check
6) Suspension bushes check and cross member lube & tightening
7) All sensors were checked and cleaned
8) Steering calibrated to check left side pulling

Total bill came to around INR 7200.

Have not driven the car much after service. Buth the left side pulling appears to be corrected. Also, the suspension noise seems less.
ps_abhijith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 01:49   #1623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakunabatata View Post
Hey guys!

Also, Have you gone ahead with the installation @Dinesh_Malhotra ? If yes which ASC did you get it done from and how was your experience with the same.

Thanks
Hi,

No, I did not go ahead with the plan. The guys here in Navi Mumbai and Mumbai are very reluctant to even sell the projectors to me for self-installation fearing future warranty issues. One more thing that I got to know is that many are not happy with the output from these projectors by Hyundai anyways. In-fact, the normal headlight setup works better.

Hence, until I decide to go aftermarket, I am hanging in here. Also, my eyes are now stuck on awesome LED Taillights for the elite i20. They are plug and play and look beatiful. Might order soon.
Old 5th May 2016, 11:07   #1624
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

There is an ad in the Times of India today of the 2016 face lift i20 Elite. This one shows projector headlights as one of the new features.

People looking for a plug and play solution can check with the asc now since they've been made officially part of the Elite. I assume they're the same as those in the Active.
Old 6th May 2016, 00:18   #1625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh_Malhotra View Post
Hi,

No, I did not go ahead with the plan. The guys here in Navi Mumbai and Mumbai are very reluctant to even sell the projectors to me for self-installation fearing future warranty issues. One more thing that I got to know is that many are not happy with the output from these projectors by Hyundai anyways. In-fact, the normal headlight setup works better.

Hence, until I decide to go aftermarket, I am hanging in here. Also, my eyes are now stuck on awesome LED Taillights for the elite i20. They are plug and play and look beatiful. Might order soon.
I had just taken the car to the service center yesterday, for the "thud" sound while driving issue. I did ask the service advisor about the projector and he seemed reluctant as well. They claim that the mounting of the lamps on both projectors and stock is different. I have no way to check this claim and for now will have to take their word. This was told to me by service advisors at both Modi and Pramukh Hyundai. Both of them further mentioned about warranty being void if they somehow carry it out on the ground that , that specific part does not belong to that particular model even though it's the same car.

It did strike me later that the projectors may just be function over form and i guess it is that way, since you've had it confirmed. I'm considering getting the Phillips Xtreme vision bulbs for now. Will try them out to see if they make any difference to the stock lights.

Do link me to the LED tail lights though. I may get them too if i like them.

Also, deviating from the discussion a little bit. Have you faced the "Thud" and "Jerk" problem while driving your car ? SVC couldn't fix it in the 2nd service. Had taken the car to another SVC yesterday. Haven't driven it enough to check if the problem is solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
There is an ad in the Times of India today of the 2016 face lift i20 Elite. This one shows projector headlights as one of the new features.

People looking for a plug and play solution can check with the asc now since they've been made officially part of the Elite. I assume they're the same as those in the Active.
As i said above, the headlamp assembly on all three models seems to be different. Screw holes, mounts etc are placed differently, hence plug and play is not possible.
Old 6th May 2016, 09:30   #1626
BHPian

Got SMS today on availability of free map update and to contact the nearest service center.
Will visit the dealer this weekend and see how it goes.
Anyone else get it?
Old 7th May 2016, 03:30   #1627
BHPian

Quote:
I'm considering getting the Phillips Xtreme vision bulbs for now. Will try them out to see if they make any difference to the stock lights.

Do link me to the LED tail lights though. I may get them too if i like them.

Also, deviating from the discussion a little bit. Have you faced the "Thud" and "Jerk" problem while driving your car ? SVC couldn't fix it in the 2nd service. Had taken the car to another SVC yesterday. Haven't driven it enough to check if the problem is solved.
Hey,

I have installed Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs in my elite i20.

Also, Yes, I used to hear the thud sound coming in from the bottom part of my car. Mostly the issue is related to a very common concern reported by most of the elite i20 owners and should be rectified by replacing some part. I am not able to recollect the part name but it's a common issue discussed in previous pages here.

Can you please explain the "Jerk" problem in detail?

For the LED TailLights, I am attaching a few links here:

http://www.twobrothers.co.in/product...g.php?spid=240

https://www.facebook.com/FC-UNIT-429636365322/
Dinesh_Malhotra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 13:54   #1628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh_Malhotra View Post

I have installed Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs in my elite i20.
How big of an improvement is it over the stock bulbs ? Is it worth getting those installed ?

More importantly did you get them installed at ASC or by a local mechanic ?

Quote:
Can you please explain the "Jerk" problem in detail?
The car makes a loud "tock" sound while driving. This is a random occurrence and is seen when you slow down for a breaker and then accelerate. There is a sudden jerk after the sound is heard. The car feels like it is being pushed backwards for that instant of time and is back to normal once the sound is gone. The frequency of this is also random, sometimes it's just a single tock and sometimes it manifests as a chain of tocks. Much like how a machine gun fires. It happens mostly at 2nd and 3rd gear but is not limited to those two. It's a very strange problem that the SVC has failed to pinpoint till date. They said they've just re-torqued the suspension to optimal level when asked about how the went on rectifying the problem. I'm taking trials now to see if the problem persists. Hopefully it should be solved by now.
Old 8th May 2016, 15:21   #1629
BHPian

Quote:
How big of an improvement is it over the stock bulbs ? Is it worth getting those installed ?

More importantly did you get them installed at ASC or by a local mechanic ?
I have changed the stock bulbs to H4 12V 60/55W X-treme Vision Plus. There is definitely much difference. I find more confidence in night highway drives than earlier. The stock bulbs are just not adequate. Does not really cost a lot, I bought it via amazon for 650/piece, so worth giving a try.

I got it installed at the ASC, it hardly takes 5 mins to be done. ASC ideally do not even charge for it, but its good to tip the guy doing the job for you. Infact, if you watch a couple of videos online you can replace it yourself, though the left side is slightly tricky due to the cramped space.

On the other aspect of the sound from suspension, conditions just improved drastically for me once they replaced (recalled ?) the faulty bushing during service which so many folks have talked about in this thread above.
Rahul_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 15:32   #1630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul_ View Post
I have changed the stock bulbs to H4 12V 60/55W X-treme Vision Plus. There is definitely much difference. I find more confidence in night highway drives than earlier. The stock bulbs are just not adequate. Does not really cost a lot, I bought it via amazon for 650/piece, so worth giving a try.

I got it installed at the ASC, it hardly takes 5 mins to be done.

On the other aspect of the sound from suspension, conditions just improved drastically for me once they replaced (recalled ?) the faulty bushing during service which so many folks have talked about in this thread above.
I'm ordering the bulbs online too. Taking the DIY approach. Opened up the bulb housing just to check if it can be done at home, and it surely can be.

As for the recall, I have not received any calls or messages from hyundai. The ASC only just "Re-torqued" the suspension. Didn't really get time to take the car out for a spin after the service so unsure if the problem got solved or not.
Old 9th May 2016, 10:31   #1631
BHPian

Guys,

Yesterday I took my Elite I20 Sports (P) for its 1st free service. The car was purchased 1.5 months back and current ODO is 1100km. Overall nothing much to write about the service. Took around 2 hours to get the service done. They did a top up of all engine and transmission fluids and inspected the same. However no engine oil change was done. When I asked about the same and wanted to check the 1st service checklist they promptly showed it to me which mentioned "inspection" of engine oil level. They said oil change will be done during 2nd free serivce at 10k/1yr. I didn't argue but I still feel that engine oil should be changed during 1st service.

Guys - what do you advise? Should I get this changed? Will cost about 2k to do the same.
Old 9th May 2016, 11:13   #1632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adutta2k View Post
I didn't argue but I still feel that engine oil should be changed during 1st service.
Generally first oil change is done only at 10k/1yr. This is what most car manuals the recommend. If manufacturer says that it should be okay ( I still do not agree to their gear shifting speed recommendations though ).

In the case of Maruti, first two services at 1k/1month & 5k/6 month mainly involves inspections. I guess it's the case with Hyundai too.
Midas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 15:05   #1633
BHPian

Since there is some talk around the Engine Oils. I shall share some of my experiences regarding the same. I have used all 3 grades of engine oils in my car
- Stock (my understanding is that it is mineral) - Provided by Hyundai
- Semi Synthetic - Shell
- Full Synthetic - Shell.

Observations:
I feel there is a clear difference in performance, noise and free revving of the car with the full synthetic Oil. I used full synthetic for sometime, then moved back to semi-synthetic to optimise cost. I felt it is too much of a compromise so went back to full synthetic again. I felt the revving and performance gets much restrained if you are not using full synthetic.
To optimise cost, I used online retail to get the Oil.Full-synthetic oil bought online was only a little expensive than Semi and nearly 40% cheaper if I had got it done at a Shell Petrol Bunk.

PS: My observations are on CRDI engine.

Suggestion needed from fellow BHPians. I absolutely hate any rattle of objects kept in the cupholder in the central console or the doors, has anyone tried using any kind of mats for cupholders. I cant find anything specific to i20 online, is there any other cars' make that would fit in here well? Also, has anyone tried something like a clip-on retractable cup holder for the central unit ?
Old 9th May 2016, 19:31   #1634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adutta2k View Post

Guys - what do you advise? Should I get this changed? Will cost about 2k to do the same.
Your 2nd service would be more appropriate time to have this changed. When you near 7k mark, you can start to check your oil level and its colour. If the oil level is low or has turned little blackish, please visit Hyundai to have this changed or to do a top-up.

Please ensure to have your oil filling done only in Hyundai to avoid any warranty lapse. I was once tricked by Shell guys to have my oil changed from them and hence telling you out of experience. Until your vehicle is covered under warranty, never change oil outside Hyundai

PS: It goes without saying, oil check is must when you embark on very long drives

Last edited by mudhasir : 9th May 2016 at 19:32.
mudhasir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 00:39   #1635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul_ View Post
...I have used all 3 grades of engine oils in my car
- Stock (my understanding is that it is mineral) - Provided by Hyundai
- Semi Synthetic - Shell
- Full Synthetic - Shell.

Observations:
I feel there is a clear difference in performance, noise and free revving of the car with the full synthetic Oil. I used full synthetic for sometime, then moved back to semi-synthetic to optimise cost. I felt it is too much of a compromise so went back to full synthetic again. I felt the revving and performance gets much restrained if you are not using full synthetic.
To optimise cost, I used online retail to get the Oil.Full-synthetic oil bought online was only a little expensive than Semi and nearly 40% cheaper if I had got it done at a Shell Petrol Bunk.

PS: My observations are on CRDI engine...
Hi there!

Do you mind sharing with the folks here which specific oils you used on your i20?

As far as I know, these are the following oils available from Shell:

1. SHELL HELIX ULTRA DIESEL 5W-40
2. SHELL HELIX HX7 DIESEL 10W-40
3. SHELL HELIX HX5 DIESEL CH-4 15W-40

Can you also share the pricing per liter of oil and a bit more detail about the experience while running on fully synthetic/semi synthetic oil?

I'm curious to know the exact details of the oils you've got online as Amazon does stock Shell engine oil, but I don't see any detail about being specific to diesel engines mentioned on them.
All the items mention "Suitable for Gasoline & Diesel Engines". But the ones on Shell's actual website indicate there are specific oils for petrol & diesel engines. Here's the link to the ones I'm referring to:

1. Shell Helix Ultra 550041109 5W-40 API SN Fully Synthetic Car Engine Oil (4 L)
2. Shell Helix HX7 550040111 10W-40 API SN Synthetic Technology Car Engine Oil (3 L)

Thanks & Cheers!

Last edited by sourav9385 : 11th May 2016 at 00:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks