Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2016, 08:20   #1666
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by makk View Post
Can you please mention the steps that your SA has followed to update the Software/Firmware and also the map updates? My SA in Hyderabad (Talwar Hyundai, Tolichowki) is clueless on how to perform these updates. Also I gave him my SD card and after the map updates (which he said he did), my maps aren't working now. Its been 4 days and I have been to the service center multiple times till now. If you could please explain the step-by-step process, I will go and teach him.
There is a SD card (update SD card) for the software and firmware update. I don't really remember the exact step-by-step procedure but here is the overview.
There is a separate update SD card for i20 and different card for Creta. Also the procedure too will be different. The map update too has different method for i20 and other cars.
To update software/firmware:
Long press of "setup" button of AVN will display the current versions of software, firmware, map-app and map.

While the update happened, the car was idling.

1. SA just removed the map SD card and inserted the update-SD card.
2. On reading the card, the system recognized it to be update-SD card and asked for confirmation of whether to update?
3. On pressing "OK", it started updating software and firmware.
It took ~10 minutes to update both.
Intermittent restart happened during the update.

4. After update, it displayed "update complete". Pressing "OK" here will reboot the system. It again starts from beginning (step 1) where it asks whether to update.
5. This time SA pressed "No" and took out the SD card.

I'm not sure the below step is required or not; I found it redundant to do it.
6. The SA as final step, went to the setup screen and did the factory reset.

Again long press the setup button of AVN and I noticed that software and firmware versions were updated.

For map update:
You yourself can do the update. See here: http://www.map-care.com
The map and map-app both to be updated. I don't think map update without software/firmware update will cause map to not work.
Again there is separate map-data/map-app for i20 and for other cars.
Map-update is not straight forward as software/firmware update where it does everything on its own. Map update requires some manual steps.

The website has everything you need to update the map and map-app. There is a pdf which explains step-by-step procedure to update.
The map-data is huge; its around 2.6GB and took some time to download. If the SA already has the map-data, you can get it from him.
You need to download the pctool as well.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Last edited by iamswift : 7th June 2016 at 08:21.
iamswift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 00:26   #1667
BHPian

Dear Elite i20 Owners and Users
We have been thinking to add first Diesel car in our family and being so used to petrol, we would prefer the diesel to feel same/similar to drive when switching our cars.

In my last test drive of brand new Elite i20, the low end was average and throttle response was dull below 2K rpm though the Grand i10 (1400kms on ODO) felt much better. In general I have observed the car's low end to increase after run in period but the dull throttle response is a deal breaker.
Please share your experience on it.

The Diesel Elite i20 will cost us 1.3L+ over the petrol counterpart hence FE should be good. Please share your city and highway figures along with average speed of commute/journey.

Since we intend to keep the car for long, the reliability , After Sales Service and Service Costs are equally important.

Do you feel increase in NVH and judders at low revvs over the period of time?

Thanks

Last edited by procrastinator : 8th June 2016 at 00:27.
Old 8th June 2016, 01:08   #1668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrastinator View Post
In my last test drive of brand new Elite i20, the low end was average and throttle response was dull below 2K rpm though the Grand i10 (1400kms on ODO) felt much better. In general I have observed the car's low end to increase after run in period but the dull throttle response is a deal breaker.
Please share your experience on it.
I never felt that dullness on low rpms as mentioned by you. However, if you are feeling so, it would be worthwhile to check out Figo/Aspire, along with the service guarantees being provided by them. They are cheaper too, so more cost effective.

Hyundai service costs are mostly reasonable, but tend to increase as years go by.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 01:32   #1669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
I never felt that dullness on low rpms as mentioned by you. However, if you are feeling so, it would be worthwhile to check out Figo/Aspire, along with the service guarantees being provided by them. They are cheaper too, so more cost effective.

Hyundai service costs are mostly reasonable, but tend to increase as years go by.
I guess the dullness (or turbo lag) is quite natural after being used to petrol engine.
I test drove the new figo too and it felt much better. The car rushes at 1.5K rpm and flies at 2K Rpm. Everything was great except for plastics quality and refinement levels being SOHC engine. Though, they aren't a deal breaker.

The only thing which is holding us back is less demand and the repercussions in long run (After Sales Service, Parts availability and Resale)

Last edited by procrastinator : 8th June 2016 at 01:33.
Old 8th June 2016, 14:27   #1670
Senior - BHPian

Does Elite i20 has 3 point seat belt for center seat passenger as earlier gen i20?
Old 8th June 2016, 14:58   #1671
BHPian

Could someone please help me with the FE they are getting on their petrol variants in city driving? My friends Elite is giving him an FE of around 10~11 within city traffic. He is not a rash driver, no sudden acceleration or braking, and for his driving style ~11 looks very less.

He has run around 15K till now. The FE has remained same after the first service.
Old 8th June 2016, 18:01   #1672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinrawatdun View Post
Could someone please help me with the FE they are getting on their petrol variants in city driving? My friends Elite is giving him an FE of around 10~11 within city traffic. He is not a rash driver, no sudden acceleration or braking, and for his driving style ~11 looks very less.

He has run around 15K till now. The FE has remained same after the first service.
My elite returns FE of 9-11 in city traffic as well. My driving style is sedate.
The FE and the slight underpoweredness of the petrol engine are the only downsides i can find in this car.

Highway FE shoots to 12+ but isn't a magical number that will surprise you. I have completed my 2nd service and the odo reads 11k.
hakunabatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 18:31   #1673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Does Elite i20 has 3 point seat belt for center seat passenger as earlier gen i20?
No, it doesn't come with the 3 point seat-belt for the third passenger, it is the regular around-the-waist, 2 point seat-belt. Neither, does it come with Isofix mounts as in UK and other countries where it is sold. Special ways to cost cutting for India .
Old 8th June 2016, 20:13   #1674

My elite i20 Petrol has crossed 9k yesterday. I have very strange FE. I don't know how to calculate exactly. This is how I calculate, there are 12 points in fuel gauge. Dividing with fuel capacity (usually fill full tank, cut off when pump stops). Hence each point is around 3.75 Litres. I travelled around 203 KMs and found exactly 3 points reduced at 203 KM. If I calculate, FE comes around 17 kms per litre. Is it correct? I tested this for about 6 times. Result is same. Confused. I travel Bangalore to Salem often.
Old 8th June 2016, 22:16   #1675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balachandran View Post
My elite i20 Petrol has crossed 9k yesterday. I have very strange FE. I don't know how to calculate exactly. This is how I calculate, there are 12 points in fuel gauge. Dividing with fuel capacity (usually fill full tank, cut off when pump stops). Hence each point is around 3.75 Litres. I travelled around 203 KMs and found exactly 3 points reduced at 203 KM. If I calculate, FE comes around 17 kms per litre. Is it correct? I tested this for about 6 times. Result is same. Confused. I travel Bangalore to Salem often.
One thing I've noticed is that even after the automatic cutoff, there's space for a LOT of fuel. I was able to fill 35L of fuel with 3 bars of fuel left which makes the fuel tank capacity over 50 Lit. The tank capacity mentioned on the site and the manual is 45 lit. Assuming there's 5 lit of reserve, i still filled over a litre of petrol during that fill. I am not sure on the reserve capacity of the tank. Perhaps, other members can clarify weather the tank capacity mentioned is inclusive of reserve or exclusive.

I used to calculate in the same fashion but one thing i observed is that the car tends to travel more for the higher three bars than the last three bars. This makes me believe that calculating based on the bars is not the right way to do factoring in the non linearity. May be this has to do with the dimensions of the tank and how fast the level drops in the tank.
Since then i just reset the trip meter everytime i fuel up, check the fuel gauge and calculate the distance travelled till the gauge drops back to that level again. Dividing the distance with the amount of fuel filled gives an approx estimate of FE.

Hyundai, if you're reading this, not giving a DTE/FE meter on a car being sold with a tag line of "un compromise" is a huge compromise i must say.
Old 8th June 2016, 23:35   #1676
BANNED

Quote:
fill at a particular amount, say for 500 rs. note down the fuel level, the amount of fuel you got at 500 rs and the odo reading. after the fuel level reaches the same, take down the odo reading and divide it by the amount of fuel you got at 500 rs. this will give you an approximate FE. it wont be 100% accurate because the fuel levels fluctuate .
Old 9th June 2016, 07:00   #1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakunabatata View Post
One thing I've noticed is that even after the automatic cutoff, there's space for a LOT of fuel. I was able to fill 35L of fuel with 3 bars of fuel left which makes the fuel tank capacity over 50 Lit.
Thanks. But I found the same result even the fuel tank is half filled meaning has 6 points of fuel.

Last edited by GTO : 10th June 2016 at 09:58. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
Old 9th June 2016, 07:16   #1678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My elite i20 Petrol has crossed 9k yesterday. I have very strange FE. I don't know how to calculate exactly.
There is only one way to calculate FE accurately, and that is the full-tank to full-tank method. Gauges and DTE displays are never as accurate.

(1) Fill up your tank (preferably till auto cut-off, and not more)
(2) Drive (as many kilometers as you want, but at least 200 km or so to get a clear picture)
(3) Fill up your tank again

Note down the kilometers you covered, and the fuel the car took in when you re-filled. Distance / quantity of fuel = your fuel efficiency during that drive.

If you do tankfuls every time, and reset your trip meter at the pump after noting down the distance, you can accurately monitor your car's fuel efficiency every time.
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 07:46   #1679
BHPian

Quote:
Never calculate the FE looking at those bars,specially on the i20. If you notice, the car travels a far bit of Kms on the first half tank and then the bars just keep on plummeting to the reserve level.

My advice would be to check the FE in the tankful to tankful method as it'll give you more accurate results.

Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 09:21   #1680
BHPian

This is true of all cars
The tankful method is the best though i agree a DTE Display should be provided

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks