Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2016, 13:50   #1771
BHPian

planning to buy, had a few questions

Hi All,
I am seriously considering buying the i20 Asta Diesel (wanted the option of projectors and DRL but missing ECM is not a good idea hence will stick to Asta)

I took a test drive of the i20 diesel recently, they did not have the latest car with projectors and AVN . Drove the car and the moment i cranked it up and shifted to first, the car stalled. I own i10 and have seen that hyundai's are really not the best for clutch feedback, but this one was really bad. Then second problem i noticed was the car was sluggish in first and second gears until the turbo kicked in. Took a little aggressive U-turn and felt quite a lot of body roll. The most disappointing for me was the steering which felt a bit too light (even more so than my i10)
Are these issues faced by many users or was this specific to test car ?

I had a few questions
1. What are the general niggles i should be aware about in this car, i tried reading as many pages i can in this thread but covering 102 pages was not easy hence the question.
2. Is diesel costlier to maintain, and what is the average cost per servicing
3. what is the real life FE we can expect, my driving involves 60% city and 40% highway.

Thanks in advance
Old 1st August 2016, 14:28   #1772
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by saketheerdha View Post
Jebs,

After a couple of weeks of K&N, I have now found a new place for the filer - in my boot. And here is why - I think you might find a difference if you reset the ECU and all that, but that is something I didn't do. What I experienced was a free breathing engine and a 10% increase in the Fuel economy. It is for the same driving pattern so I can confirm that I have experienced a proper breathing engine and a bump in FE. That being said, only in the city ride. Out on the highway, there was a lot of vibration and noise upon hitting the 85kmph mark and then the car struggled and growled (while vibrating) to reach and cross 100kmph. Reality hit me when my not-at-all-interested-in-cars better half asked me why my car was making so much of a noise. Being a super duper fan of K&N, I think my car just rejected it. I had the same drive again after replacing it to the stock air filter and I could not even feel a bit of vibration or growl hitting 120+ kmph. So, for what it is worth, (may be I did a partial install by not resetting the ECU) K&N is great with the growl and increased FE in the city. On the highway, it is just no where in comparison with the stock and not worth a penny.

Again, it is just my personal experience and I believe every car is different. But this is something I had to share.

Thanks and Regards,
saketheerdha.
Oh, man, thanks a ton for your feedback. I do more highway trips and I feels the power shortage mostly during highway trips. If this change doesn't fill that at least to some extent, then it's no go i think. But please keep me posted there may be some ECU reset or some tuning may needed to align with K&N filters
Old 1st August 2016, 15:05   #1773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul_ View Post
30k Service Update
=============

Gave my car for 30k service today. Following are the details of Jobs done.

1) General Service - Throttle body cleaning and other essential checks and Wheel Alignment & Balancing and Rotation.
2) Replacement - Engine Oil, Oil filter, Air Filter, Brake Oil, Coolant and Front brake Pads.

Other Items
* Didn't opt for decarbonisation as I use STP injector cleaners before every service/oil change myself. The cost had huge difference. ~300 for the bottle and you need to pour it to the diesel tank yourself, they would charge ~1800 for the same.
Is use of any injector cleaner recommended by Hyundai or its dealers? if yes, is STP brand recommended? I could not find any reference to use of injector cleaners in the user manual.
Old 4th August 2016, 11:04   #1774
BHPian

Re: planning to buy, had a few questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by shridhar.s.i View Post
Hi All,
I am seriously considering buying the i20 Asta Diesel (wanted the option of projectors and DRL but missing ECM is not a good idea hence will stick to Asta)

I took a test drive of the i20 diesel recently, they did not have the latest car with projectors and AVN . Drove the car and the moment i cranked it up and shifted to first, the car stalled. I own i10 and have seen that Hyundais are really not the best for clutch feedback, but this one was really bad. Then second problem i noticed was the car was sluggish in first and second gears until the turbo kicked in. Took a little aggressive U-turn and felt quite a lot of body roll. The most disappointing for me was the steering which felt a bit too light (even more so than my i10)

I had a few questions
1. What are the general niggles i should be aware about in this car, i tried reading as many pages i can in this thread but covering 102 pages was not easy hence the question.
3. what is the real life FE we can expect, my driving involves 60% city and 40% highway.

Thanks in advance

You managed to Stall a diesel i20? Are you serious?
In the entire 21000 kms of ownership, I haven't stalled the machine ever. My dad owns a Jazz ivtec and I have to give some clutch push to make it roll in uphill. But the i20 does not even require the accelerator to be pushed. Just leave the clutch in 1st gear slowly and she will roll. As cool as that.

Yup, the car feels sluggish in the 1st gear compared to the swift. This is because of the gear ratio and this is exactly why it NEVER stalls in the 1st gear. Regarding 2nd gear, ample power is there.

Regarding body roll, it is present but to be fair, it is lesser than the swift, i10 etc and more than the polo and likes. The suspension is tuned for cushioning. Thats the reason.

Steering is light, but not in the league of smaller hyundais. I am not sure with the i10 but I have driven the excent and the eon. Excent and eon gave me trembles when I drove above 80. But i20 steering tightened a lot at those speeds. Yes the steering feedback is lesser than Punto, Polo and even the swift but by a tiny margin. If you want better feedback and handling, always the punto, buy nothing else.

1. General Niggles: My car had squeaking sound from the suspension from the day I bought it. It was resolved by changing some bush free of cost. None till date
2. Diesel servicing cost. Yeah! it is a bit higher than the petrol cars. Should expect anything around 7000 per service after the free service is over. I was charged around 1700 for 1st free service and 5000 for 2nd free service. Please note that for every 10000 kms, you need to do a minor service which averages around 3500 and for every 20000, a major service which averages around 7500.
3. FE depends on the driving style a lot. The machine rewards me with 20+ mileage for my driving pattern which is 70% Highway, 30% City. For you it may be around 17 I guess.

As per me, It is a car made for the Highway and the City equally. It handles all sorts of roads with ease. I have driven cars like the Jazz and the Polo which are not at all comfy at similar situations.

Last edited by vishnurajanme : 4th August 2016 at 11:10. Reason: Forgot to write something
vishnurajanme is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 12:12   #1775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme View Post
Yup, the car feels sluggish in the 1st gear compared to the swift. This is because of the gear ratio and this is exactly why it NEVER stalls in the 1st gear. Regarding 2nd gear, ample power is there.

Regarding body roll, it is present but to be fair, it is lesser than the swift, i10 etc and more than the polo and likes. The suspension is tuned for cushioning. Thats the reason.

Steering is light, but not in the league of smaller hyundais. I am not sure with the i10 but I have driven the excent and the eon. Excent and eon gave me trembles when I drove above 80. But i20 steering tightened a lot at those speeds. Yes the steering feedback is lesser than Punto, Polo and even the swift but by a tiny margin. If you want better feedback and handling, always the punto, buy nothing else..

As per me, It is a car made for the Highway and the City equally. It handles all sorts of roads with ease. I have driven cars like the Jazz and the Polo which are not at all comfy at similar situations.
That was a nice and positive review of a quite mid-term ownership. Even my petrol feels nicer after the two services and it zips like a rabbit thru traffic. Have been using the ELM OBD II since a month to monitor vehicle stats. Will post more on the results, need some clarifications on that.

Last edited by anoop_gkris : 4th August 2016 at 12:13.
anoop_gkris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 13:14   #1776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop_gkris View Post
That was a nice and positive review of a quite mid-term ownership. Even my petrol feels nicer after the two services and it zips like a rabbit thru traffic. Have been using the ELM OBD II since a month to monitor vehicle stats. Will post more on the results, need some clarifications on that.
Wow. Me too use the ELM OBD II
With that only found out ways to extract maximum mileage and power out of her. Still using it to see the avg mileage am getting. Are you using Torque application with it?
Old 4th August 2016, 15:00   #1777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme View Post
Wow. Me too use the ELM OBD II
With that only found out ways to extract maximum mileage and power out of her. Still using it to see the avg mileage am getting. Are you using Torque application with it?
Yeah using the pro version of Torque that i got with the ELM adapter.
Attached the mileage information(KPL). Found that it's a hearty 14.1 for city driving. My doubt was that when i check it during my drives it hovers around 12.5. But the long term average shows this high value. Not complaining at all(actually happy and cannot believe it).
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-torque_kpl_4aug.jpg  

anoop_gkris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 00:57   #1778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shridhar.s.i View Post
Hi All,

I took a test drive of the i20 diesel recently, they did not have the latest car with projectors and AVN . Drove the car and the moment i cranked it up and shifted to first, the car stalled. I own i10 and have seen that hyundai's are really not the best for clutch feedback, but this one was really bad. Then second problem i noticed was the car was sluggish in first and second gears until the turbo kicked in. Took a little aggressive U-turn and felt quite a lot of body roll. The most disappointing for me was the steering which felt a bit too light (even more so than my i10)

I had a few questions

Thanks in advance
As Vishnu said, it is extremely difficult to Stall this car in first gear. Something must be massively wrong (handbrake,incline,etc) which resulted in this. In my ownership, I have never been able to stall the car until I released clutch by mistake thinking the car is in neutral.

The sluggishness you say could be due to the gear ratio. The first gear is really really short - in actual sense a crawler, you need to upshift to 2nd for speed > 10kmph. As you say you have been driving the i10 (petrol), gear ratio for diesel are different and it would translate into a need of lot of change in the driving pattern.

The turbo lag is only felt prominently in may be 2nd or 3rd gear and mostly towards the time when my car needs service. Everytime, it comes out of service feels more linear for some reason. Also, when I switched over to the full-synth oil, the engine feels more rev happy and less restrained. So, given what you drove was a demo car, the upkeep could be really questionable. You should try a different showroom for sure.

Having driven both petrol and diesel variant of i20 extensively, including the previous generations - I see a very clear difference when I drive the diesel. It is much much powerful and torquey. Also, there is a major difference in how it handles now (2014 model) and how the steering feels. Actually to be honest, the suspension setup in the models with alloys (and low profile tyres) feels bumpier to me on lower speeds, but at the same time it does impart a lot of confidence on the curves and higher speeds. I have driven it extensively on the hills and curves. Everytime I take it on the highway or the curves, my love grows for the new version by a tiny bit. (coming from the older version of this car). It is nowhere like how the previous versions of hyundai used to be.

Fuel efficiency : Best that I have ever got is north of 22 when driving to Bangalore-Hyderabad (Excellent highway conditions) and worst is ~11 with lot of idling involved. (All number with 100% AC). One more observation, unlike petrol version where you would try to keep rpm on the lower side, if you drive the CRDi in the turbo zone, the mileage numbers improve. On an average with lot of city (Bangalore) driving involved, I get numbers close to 15-17.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
Is use of any injector cleaner recommended by Hyundai or its dealers? if yes, is STP brand recommended? I could not find any reference to use of injector cleaners in the user manual.
The SA had no objections to usage of STP brand. He infact said that this is a good brand that you are using.

On a separate thread: I lost the service manual unfortunately during some service, any leads on how to get a new one. I really do read the manuals !
Old 5th August 2016, 10:17   #1779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul_ View Post
On a separate thread: I lost the service manual unfortunately during some service, any leads on how to get a new one. I really do read the manuals !
If you have setup login here http://www.customercare.hyundai.co.in/ You can download a soft copy.
Vizay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 11:43   #1780
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah using the pro version of Torque that i got with the ELM adapter.
Attached the mileage information(KPL). Found that it's a hearty 14.1 for city driving. My doubt was that when i check it during my drives it hovers around 12.5. But the long term average shows this high value. Not complaining at all(actually happy and cannot believe it).

It would be pretty helpful if you could post the settings for the torque pro app. I had tried to get the FE meter to work but it didn't happen.

I'm assuming you drive a diesel.
Old 5th August 2016, 14:04   #1781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakunabatata View Post
It would be pretty helpful if you could post the settings for the torque pro app. I had tried to get the FE meter to work but it didn't happen.

I'm assuming you drive a diesel.
Mine is a petrol. I only added the long term average display to the display, no other settings done.
What kind of problem are you facing?

BTW, today's reading is 13.8kpl.
Old 5th August 2016, 14:38   #1782
BHPian

Quote:
Mine is a petrol. I only added the long term average display to the display, no other settings done.
What kind of problem are you facing?

BTW, today's reading is 13.8kpl.
Thats a good figure man. I usually get 12 tops. But the last FE calculation returned a whooping 17. Too good to be true. Something must have been wrong, maybe i wrote the readings wrong.

As for the problem, i tried a couple of months back and I'm totally blank about what i had done. Haven't had access to my car since the past 1 month now. Maybe you could post a pic of the profile settings. Any plugins you might have added.

Btw 13.8 in city or highway ?
Old 5th August 2016, 23:32   #1783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakunabatata View Post
Thats a good figure man. I usually get 12 tops. But the last FE calculation returned a whooping 17. Too good to be true. Something must have been wrong, maybe i wrote the readings wrong.

As for the problem, i tried a couple of months back and I'm totally blank about what i had done. Haven't had access to my car since the past 1 month now. Maybe you could post a pic of the profile settings. Any plugins you might have added.

Btw 13.8 in city or highway ?
I haven't changed any settings, maybe only enabled logging. Mine is 80% city driving. The highway part is when i take an extra long route to avoid traffic. Couldn't make a long trip yet to check highway performance.
Attached some part of the app settings which could be useful, but i don't remember changing more than a couple of checkboxes.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-screenshot_20160805232239.png  

Old 7th August 2016, 15:31   #1784
BHPian

Anyone knows anything about the security system in the i20 Elite/Active?
There was an accident in the office parking; a parked i20 got scraped up by another car while taking a turn but it seems no scream from the i20.
I thought the stupid horn-based siren would atleast scream. But no - not even a bit of moan from the car.
Old 7th August 2016, 16:21   #1785
BHPian

There is no security system that comes fitted in the Elite or Active. Just an immobilizer.
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks