Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2019, 09:00   #2686
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Those who are considering the i20 CVT, please do your research on the FE part before finalising. I am getting a FE of 6.5 KMPL (it comes down to 6 if driven in the bumper to bumper conditions) in Bangalore traffic. Car is 2 months old and the first free service is done. I haven't seen any improvement after the service.
Guna is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 09:20   #2687
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Those who are considering the i20 CVT, please do your research on the FE part before finalising. I am getting a FE of 6.5 KMPL (it comes down to 6 if driven in the bumper to bumper conditions) in Bangalore traffic. Car is 2 months old and the first free service is done. I haven't seen any improvement after the service.
Not sure about Elite i20 but I have had couple of friends reporting super bad numbers with the prev gen i10 Automatic (guess it came with 1.2 Kappa) and nothing helped them to make these numbers move north of 10 Kmpl in city traffic.

6.5 Kmpl is abysmally low and I do not want to doubt about the way you have measured the FE.

On Service, this is a classic statement I get to hear but honestly, nothing should change after that first free service - FE or the way the car behaves.

Please check the FE reported by other owners in similar conditions and get in touch with the Service center too. I also hope that as you get adapted to your car in days to come, your driving style will change and the FE may get better too!
Old 12th March 2019, 09:43   #2688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
6.5 Kmpl is abysmally low and I do not want to doubt about the way you have measured the FE.

On Service, this is a classic statement I get to hear but honestly, nothing should change after that first free service - FE or the way the car behaves.
As per my understanding the first service is mere inspection and tightening of any loose parts. This will not change absolutely anything. Probably third free service will make some changes since there is oil change involved.

Coming to MT elite i20. What is the average in city in real life conditions for petrol car? One friend of mine is looking for it and obviously asked this as the first query.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 09:43   #2689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Please check the FE reported by other owners in similar conditions and get in touch with the Service center too. I also hope that as you get adapted to your car in days to come, your driving style will change and the FE may get better too!
I remember 1.2 i20(Older version) has a bad drinking habit. We had been to Wayanad and i20 was driven without AC all the way with 4 people on board. All it could achieve was 11.xx KMPL. So 6.5KMPL for a Autobox in a bumper to bumper traffic sounds realistic. Note that my Kwid 800CC manual gives only about 11-12 in manic Bangalore traffic.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 09:45   #2690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure about Elite i20 but I have had couple of friends reporting super bad numbers with the prev gen i10 Automatic (guess it came with 1.2 Kappa) and nothing helped them to make these numbers move north of 10 Kmpl in city traffic.

Well, I mentioned the first service because I had reported the low FE and they said they have done some tuning (which I don't believe). I can understand the low FE on i10 AT as that one is a 4 speed Torque Converter. I used to drive Honda City AT (way back in 2010 when the traffic conditions were much better) and I was not happy with the FE of 9.5 kmpl the car used to give . My other car is a 15 year old Forester (which weighs 300 KG more, has full time 4 wheel drive) and gives a similar FE in the same driving conditions. I am yet to take the i20 on the highway and test the highway FE.
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 09:52   #2691
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
First service is mere inspection and tightening of any loose parts. This will not change absolutely anything.
I do hope service centers do this at least. (Anyway, this is what I said that first service shouldn't change things drastically or even marginally, especially with FE).

Quote:
Probably third free service will make some changes since there is oil change involved.
Again, not something that I personally have experienced as things have mostly remained consistent. However, a fresh oil will make things smoother and effortless as compared to an aged oil which may result in better FE. Not to forget new Air filter too.

Quote:
Coming to MT elite i20. What is the average in city in real life conditions for petrol car? One friend of mine is looking for it and obviously asked this as the first query.
12-14 Kmpl is what I know from my circle of friends and neighbors.

I particularly referred to i10 Automatic as the owner of that car (and ex colleague) once pulled over when I was driving back home from work that night and expressed his disappointment that how good (Better) was his Santro Manual that the i10 Auto disappointed him with the FE.
Quote:
they have done some tuning (which I don't believe).
Indeed. If at all we all know what this tuning is that all the SAs claim, we can make our cars deliver better FE .
Quote:
I am yet to take the i20 on the highway and test the highway FE.
You should ideally get anything from 13-15 KMPL for your highway runs.

My uncle who owns the i10 Auto who recently accompanied us for a 700 Km drive told it returns 14 kmpl for speeds between 90-100 Kmph.

Last edited by paragsachania : 12th March 2019 at 09:56.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 17:13   #2692
BHPian

I recently took the delivery of i20 and the service center guy insisted that the car be driven at a Max of 80km/hr until the first service was done. When I told him that the first service is only an inspection, he corrected himself and said until the first of change that happens in 2nd service.

How strict are these rules? Will the engine be adversely affected without a proper run-in? (Not that I'm going to drive around like a maniac but I just wanted to get a perspective from the experts here)
Old 14th March 2019, 17:46   #2693
Team-BHP Support

Just completed a 1100-odd km Vizag-BLR drive on a colleague's 2 yrs/12k kms old pre-facelift i20 Petrol.

Managed 13-14 KMPL overall, could've possibly eeked out another KMPL if driven specifically for it, but this motor is neither powerful not efficient, and can get really frustrating overtaking on undivided highways.

Refinement and a sweet muted growl when revved is pretty much all it has going for it. Total mismatch with an otherwise lovely car. How I wish there was a 1.6 VTVT variant, would be an awesome highway cruiser.

P.S. Vijayawada-Naidupeta section is awesome.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th March 2019 at 17:48.
Old 14th March 2019, 23:30   #2694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That is crazy. I remember that my dad's old Prado with a 4 speed slushbox used to give around 9kmpl. And that was a heavy suv with a 2.7l petrol engine. For a lightweight hatchback with a small 1.2l engine and along with a CVT which is a transmission that is inherently better for mileage, 6.5kmpl is way too low. I don't want to alarm you but I think there might be something wrong with the car. Have you tried complaining at the service center? Ask them to examine the car and make sure that nothing is wrong with it, especially with the transmission.
Old 15th March 2019, 10:11   #2695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
That is crazy. I remember that my dad's old Prado with a 4 speed slushbox used to give around 9kmpl. And that was a heavy suv with a 2.7l petrol engine. For a lightweight hatchback with a small 1.2l engine and along with a CVT which is a transmission that is inherently better for mileage, 6.5kmpl is way too low. I don't want to alarm you but I think there might be something wrong with the car. Have you tried complaining at the service center? Ask them to examine the car and make sure that nothing is wrong with it, especially with the transmission.
Yes I had complained during first service. I wanted to watch for some more time but the fresh tankful after the service also has given the same FE. I think someone else also complained about the utterly low FE of the i20 CVT. I will take it up with the service center again.
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2019, 12:50   #2696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Just completed a 1100-odd km Vizag-BLR drive on a colleague's 2 yrs/12k kms old pre-facelift i20 Petrol.

Managed 13-14 KMPL overall, could've possibly eeked out another KMPL if driven specifically for it, but this motor is neither powerful not efficient, and can get really frustrating overtaking on undivided highways.

Refinement and a sweet muted growl when revved is pretty much all it has going for it. Total mismatch with an otherwise lovely car. How I wish there was a 1.6 VTVT variant, would be an awesome highway cruiser.

P.S. Vijayawada-Naidupeta section is awesome.
My experience with my brother's 2014 i20 Petrol (1.2 Manual) has been quite different. Those days Odd-Even was being implemented in Delhi, & I got 15-17 kmpl depending on time I drove the car (I was serving APAC clients). I have mentioned the same on fuel efficiency thread as well.

In fact, my brother has managed 17 kmpl (with AC usage) on his Taj Expressway & Jaipur (multiple) drives. 15 KMPL was something his colleague managed on these routes, & the gent drives with a heavy right foot.

The car is bit heavier than competitors that adds to premium feeling, but blunts the top end performance. Yet it is quite good if you are doing legal speeds.
Old 16th March 2019, 14:01   #2697
BHPian

Quote:
Bought the i20 Magna CVT on 31st Dec with super heavy discounts.
The showroom folks told me that the realistic FE would be around 10.
In last 2 months of driving without AC, i've been getting 10kmpl consistently. Since march, that figure has been around 9kmpl with as the aircon has been in use. But these figures are achieved by my wife who's learned to drive on 31st December itself. So basically she's almost always in 2-3rd step of CVT. These figures are for Jodhpur, where traffic is negligible. I am sure if i drove it as my daily commute, i'd be able to get 12-13kmpl. But since i got it at a steal price, i don't fret too much over the poor FE as i saved quite a lot up front.

So if you're getting 6.5kmpl in Bangalore b2b traffic, it's quite low. The minimum you should expect with careful driving is 8kmpl. Max being 10kmpl.

Last edited by DeepakS : 16th March 2019 at 14:03.
DeepakS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2019, 14:49   #2698
BANNED

Hi guys I have an elite i20 petrol which has expired it's warranty.
I am looking to upgrade the headlight bulbs could you suggest any options?
Old 18th March 2019, 13:08   #2699
BHPian

I have been driving Elite i20 (Petrol) for the last 3 years. We purchased the car in April 2016, and its insurance renewal is due next month (shortly).

Now, I am in a dilemma, coz with the quotes that I have received, the IDV offered is too low, and with respectable IDV, the premium amount is too much.

In the 3 years of ownership, I have never claimed the insurance. I seek your help to help me choose the best insurance provider. SO far, I have received the best quote from Acko, but I am pretty unsure about this. Any inputs and suggestions will be of immense help.

Warm Regards
Old 18th March 2019, 13:46   #2700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsav3010 View Post
Now, I am in a dilemma, coz with the quotes that I have received, the IDV offered is too low, and with respectable IDV, the premium amount is too much.

I seek your help to help me choose the best insurance provider. SO far, I have received the best quote from Acko, but I am pretty unsure about this. Any inputs and suggestions will be of immense help.
The IDV and the premium are proportional. So, a higher IDV always leads to a higher premium amount. What you can do is to see if the IDV is very high compared to the normal depreciation. AFAIK, the first year IDV is calculated upon 95% of ex-showroom price. There on, 10% is reduced from the IDV every year.

Let's say the ex-showroom price 3 years ago was 600000
IDV during purchase of the car: 570000 (95% of 600000)
IDV during 1st renewal of insurance: 513000 (90% of 570000)
IDV during 2nd renewal of insurance: 461700 (90% of 513000)
and so on.

Some insurance companies provide with higher IDV (like the 2nd renewal IDV would be the same similar to the first renewal IDV with negligible difference). If such is the case, you can ask them to reduce to IDV to optimum price and then calculate the premium to be paid. IMO, the IDV should neither be too high nor too low.

BTW, you can try getting an estimate from Future Generali. They usually quote optimal IDV and do not unnecessarily play with the IDV values.
samcan123 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks