Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2018, 12:35   #2566
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurupalani View Post
I hwave an ugly dent in the rear door and body, courtesy of a tight parking spot at a friend's place. The service centre quoted about ₹12k for repair and repaint. I have option to claim insurance. Am I right in assuming that claiming insurance is the better choice and that NCB that I lose will be much less than this amount?
Hello,

It'll make sense if you have zero dep policy (I'm assuming that you do). Since you gave your car for second service I'm also assuming you are in the second year of insurance so the NCB is less (maybe around 20%). The overall amount you'll spend from your pocket considering these assumptions would be around 3-4k (including compulsory deductible and the NCB you lose). You'll still end up saving 7-8k overall which is a good saving. The quote given by the service centre is the quote for insurance claim or if you pay from your pocket? They have two different quotes. They charge less if you pay from your pocket.

I had a similar situation where the quote given to me was 14k. I went for the claim as it made sense.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Dhananjay

Last edited by Dhananjay_Desai : 16th June 2018 at 12:36. Reason: Correcting the typos
Old 16th June 2018, 13:31   #2567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
On the "Repair order" receipt I have been given, the "delivery date" is mentioned as 31st March 2018. The SA advised me to give the vehicle for next service on 31st March 2019 as that would be the next free service after 1 year.

On asking the guy who completed the sales transaction about why delivery date is 31st March and not 29th April, he is telling it is manufacturing date.
We had taken delivery of our car on 18-03-2015. But the Service Book mentions that the Car was delivered on 08-04-2015.
Old 16th June 2018, 16:04   #2568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhananjay_Desai View Post
Thanks much! Could you please help me in how you contacted the customer care? I'll do the same. Maybe they'll listen if we get enough voices out there.
Any updates on this? Would love to have this feature available in my 2016 sportz model
Old 16th June 2018, 17:15   #2569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adutta2k View Post
Any updates on this? Would love to have this feature available in my 2016 sportz model
Nope. Nothing. Didn't receive any other communication from Hyundai other than that automated email. The service center people are also not sure when it'll come. If there are any hardware changes in the ECU between the two models then it won't come. If it's just software then maybe it'll come a bit late. Like how older models are getting the Android auto update now. Just my guess though.
Dhananjay_Desai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2018, 22:32   #2570
BHPian

To AC or Not AC

I had my elite i20 CRDI Sportz O since August 2014. So far, I have never had any major issues other than the occasional left pulling and multiple failures of key-less entry sensor on door handle and electric boot latch release. Everything was going normal, while I raked up 50000 km in 3 years. All the services were done as recommended on the right km limit from Hyundai ASS.

Trouble started with my AC in July 2017, when the usual 24 deg in ACC was found not cooling the car enough. I also started to notice a small hissing sound every morning when I turned on the ACC. My wife also started to complain of foul smells every time the AC started and all inside the Car. So I took the car to Popular Hyundai Kochi, to check the ACC. I had tried the built in troubleshooting method for the ACC, and no error codes were present. They did a quick check and checking the AC gas pressure revealed that it was around 100. I was informed that it should be around 450-500 by the SA. So, there was a gas leak. Thus began my leak finding odyssey with the car.

Hyundai, somehow has outsourced every work related to ACC to a third party vendor and the moment my SA called up the vendor, he mentioned that the expansion valve "is" faulty and he is 100% sure of it. Thankfully, I had the extended warranty to my aid. So he came in next day, replaced the valve and topped up the gas. I was charged around 800rs for the AC gas which I happily paid thinking that was the end of it. I never knew that it was just the beginning.

Within few days, the hissing sound was back, and the cooling started to degrade, again. It was august 2017, and i went back to the same SVC. The whole process repeated and the vendor comes in again, does "troubleshooting" and declares that the compressor is dead. In this whole process, he had let out what ever gas was left in the system. So, I was informed that the order for a new compressor has been placed and I can expect the part in a week. Again, thanks god for making me extend the warranty. The compressor alone costs around 20k. On the downside, there I was left with no AC in the car for a week. The SVC called after a week to let me know that the compressor was there and I took the car there to get it changed. They changed the compressor and refilled gas and added new oil to the line. Thankfully, this time I was not charged for the gas, but was only charged for some O rings, seals and some other small things, bill was under 100rs.

I was happy, though I had to suffer for a few months, I now had a brand new compressor. The cooling was back to normal. Again, I thought it to be the end of that. 6 months later, I was back to square one. There was a loud hissing sound every time ACC started, there was always a foul smell inside the car, and absolutely no cooling. This time, was frustrated so much that I went to as SVC (VTJ Hyundai) who was quite far from my house, but had a better reputation at solving issues. I mentioned all the problems to the SA, who listened patiently to my ordeal. First thing done was a leak test using nitrogen, which I had to pay for. The test took a whole day, and by evening, he confirmed that there is no large scale leak which means all the lines are good. Since I had already changed the expansion valve and compressor, and the condenser had no visual indication of a leak, he pointed that the only other place where gas could leak is from the evaporator coil inside the Car. Given the foul smell inside the car, he confirmed that would be the case. They had the part in stock, they had the AC gas recovery/ refill machines and the staff who can do all this work.

Now, all that we had to do was to change the evaporator coil. Simple???? ohhh noooo. Hyundai, for unknown reasons, have placed the evaporator coil deep inside the dashboard. So all they had to do was to remove the steering wheel, remove lots and lots of trim in and around the dashboard, and then remove lots and lots and lots of plastic screws, fasteners, wiring harnesses, clips, clamps, and electrical stuff and finally pull out the entire dishoard!. The work started and by evening, they were able to pull out the evaporator coil. It’s a fairly large coil to be honest, almost twice the size of coils I have seen in Wagon R. Near the middle of the coil, there was a place where lot of oil, dust and debris was stuck on and voila, that was our leak all this time. All the other parts changed, did nothing to fix this. It was a nightmare for me to watch and I really do appreciate the service team who had the patience to do all this, pull out the coil, replace it, check for leaks, and then put back the whole thing. The refit of things were done the next day and by next day evening, they filled up gas and oil into the system. Again, extended warranty to the rescue!. Though I had to pay the full cost of gas and oil, around 1300 rs.

And the reason for the leak or theory of the leak as per my last SA:
I use the car for long highway runs on the weekend only. That’s a 5 hour one way trip with one stop in between. City use is limited to 20-30 km max every week. Most of the time, I keep the ACC on external air mode as on long rides. Whenever I had kept it in recirculation mode, by the end of the trip, my wife and I both had headaches. So to have fresh air inside the car, except for city drives or on traffic blocks, the car would be running mostly on external air. Now, as per the SA this is not that good for the evaporator coil because of the following reasons:
1. External air means more humidity and more water content the evaporator coil.
2. External air will have dust which can accumulate on time, especially if the moisture content is high.
3. Switching between external air and re circulation mode repeatedly puts more stress on the coil owing to rapidly changing temp of incoming air.
4. Dust combined with moisture is like cancer for Aluminum based coils. It degrades and corrodes the coils easily.

After all this, my car had a whole new ACC system, everything was brand new. But the pain I had to go through, running from SVC to SVC once in every couple of months for the last 8 months cannot be justified.

Lessons learned:
1. Finding a leak in ACC, most of the time is a difficult and time taking trial and error process.
2. If it smells inside your car and there is a leak in AC gas, mostly it would be the evaporator coil.
3. Always take extended warranty, no matter how much you have to pay, its always worth it. (I had to pay around 19000 rs for extended warranty).
4. Try to run the car ACC mostly on recirculation mode, unless you are on long drives or there are more people on board.

Last edited by ps_abhijith : 16th June 2018 at 22:34.
ps_abhijith is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 14:40   #2571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps_abhijith View Post
To AC or Not AC

Always take extended warranty, no matter how much you have to pay, its always worth it. (I had to pay around 19000 rs for extended warranty).
How many years did you extend it for?

Quote:
To AC or Not AC

4. Try to run the car ACC mostly on recirculation mode, unless you are on long drives or there are more people on board.

I always do that. If you are driving over dusty patches of road (always the case with Bangalore), the dust just gets sucked in. On very hot climate I swich on the fresh air mode after getting into the car. Switch it back to recirculation once the temparature inside the car is normal. I try keeping a car perfume inside. Avoids foul smell and it feels nice too

Hi All,

Has anyone faced the issue of the Elite I20 front bumper scraping when driving over very bad stretches of road? Like a non paved area of the road, steep inclines like the ones found in the entry exit of some parking lots?? Somehow I need to be a little more careful in my Elite I20 than I was on my Alto when driving over the aforementioned areas. Looking forward to your comments

NOTE FROM T-BHP SUPPORT: Please avoid submitting back to back posts. Use the EDIT function within 30 minutes of submitting the first post, instead of posting consecutively. Thanks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st July 2018 at 09:09.
Old 17th June 2018, 18:09   #2572
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Has anyone faced the issue of the Elite I20 front bumper scraping when driving over very bad stretches of road?
Hello,

Yes I've faced this a couple of times. This is probably because of the long and low hung stance of the front section. However I've faced this only on steep inclines or speed breakers and not on bad patches of roads. So I tackle the incline/speed breaker at an angle rather than going perpendicular to it. This works fine and I've not scraped the front since I started doing this.

Regards,
Dhananjay
Old 18th June 2018, 08:26   #2573
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After all this, my car had a whole new ACC system, everything was brand new. But the pain I had to go through, running from SVC to SVC once in every couple of months for the last 8 months cannot be justified.
Sorry to hear about your ordeal. I have experienced the same as well. What I have noticed is that the guys over here are good in finding/resolving the faults. They just follow the standard procedure and when tend to question things outside this "standard" service procedures, they just mumble. Here's my ordeal:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-3-years.html

How good is VTJ? I need to decide on MGF (that's far from my house) or VTJ. I don't mind the distance, need a good place.
Old 20th June 2018, 10:08   #2574
Senior - BHPian

Please provide below information on 2018 elite i20 Sportz model

1. Sportz seems to be a VFM model, but does anybody know of the price of rear parking camera + sensors?

2. The tyre size is perfect for this size of car and not being the alloy wheel car, the spare tyre is of the same size. Does the spare tyre have same capabilities as other tyres? (Many cars have speed limit specified on the spare tyre)

3. What is the service interval and in real life what is the cost of each paid service? (Assuming there are no major damages to car of any sort) An honest answer here please

4. There is only one folded key and one normal key supplied with this car. Is an extra folded key available from accessories department? I am worried if I lose the one provided. Usually there are two keys provided with any car.

5. Now comes the real question. I am getting variable responses on "Kitna deti hai?". I understand the city mileage is between 11-13KMPL and some 15-16KMPL on highways (50% AC). Has anybody got any better numbers with 2018 model (since ARAI has increased that number to more than 19KMPL)

After some horrifying videos of new Maruti Swift/DZire accidents I am thinking to go for i20 elite sportz as next car (due in next few months after exchanging my Santro). But please help me with above information. I feel Sportz as the best model after adding the reverse parking camera/sensors.
Old 20th June 2018, 14:54   #2575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post

5. Now comes the real question. I am getting variable responses on "Kitna deti hai?". I understand the city mileage is between 11-13KMPL and some 15-16KMPL on highways (50% AC). Has anybody got any better numbers with 2018 model (since ARAI has increased that number to more than 19KMPL)

After some horrifying videos of new Maruti Swift/DZire accidents I am thinking to go for i20 elite sportz as next car (due in next few months after exchanging my Santro). But please help me with above information. I feel Sportz as the best model after adding the reverse parking camera/sensors.
2017 CRDI

A/C - 100%

City - around 14
Highway - around 19-20 ( Speed 80-110 )

( no special efforts for fuel saving except 1. following gear change indicator , which initially i had to look at now my eyes catch it even if I don't see at it. 2. anticipatory releasing accelerator as you approach signal / speed breaker)
sanjubaba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2018, 15:00   #2576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjubaba View Post
2017 CRDI

A/C - 100%

City - around 14
Highway - around 19-20 ( Speed 80-110 )

( no special efforts for fuel saving except 1. following gear change indicator , which initially i had to look at now my eyes catch it even if I don't see at it. 2. anticipatory releasing accelerator as you approach signal / speed breaker)
Any information on Petrol Sportz?
Old 20th June 2018, 15:19   #2577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post

2. The tyre size is perfect for this size of car and not being the alloy wheel car, the spare tyre is of the same size.

3. What is the service interval and in real life what is the cost of each paid service? (Assuming there are no major damages to car of any sort) An honest answer here please

5. Now comes the real question. I am getting variable responses on "Kitna deti hai?".
The spare tyre size matches other tyres and there is no limitation regarding speed. I am using it as a full-time tyre, following the tyre rotation process.
Service interval is 10k KM or 1 year, whichever is earlier.
My car (2015 1.2 vtvt) is giving an average of 13.5kmpl, with 40:60 of city and highway drives.
Amit_Kapoor4750 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2018, 18:40   #2578
BHPian

Quote:
How many years did you extend it for?
Almost all Hyundai cars come with a standard 2 year warranty. I opted to extend it for two more years, giving 4 years in total. That is the maximum we can extend for diesel cars while Hyundai lets you extend up to 5 years for petrol cars.
Old 20th June 2018, 18:43   #2579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
How good is VTJ? I need to decide on MGF (that's far from my house) or VTJ. I don't mind the distance, need a good place.
I used the new VTJ hyundai SVC near Inopark gate on seaport airport road. About the one at Vytila, I have heard that its a bit too crowded, sometimes resulting in poor service.
Old 24th June 2018, 21:47   #2580
Senior - BHPian

Took a test drive of 2018 asta o model today. Here are the points I did not like.
1. Lower back support for front seats is really poor. It will surely hurt on long drives. The SA was denying that but I made him sit in my ertiga on driver's seat and he agreed totally. In fact he asked me to sit in a verna and I found verna's seats have better lower back support than I20.
2. The side arm rest for front seats (not center arm rest) has odd shape and you will endup putting your arm in awkward position. Usually the fingers are turned inwards for relaxed position but here you have to stretch them outwards. Quite odd.
3. I am looking for Sportz varient but at the highest or medium driver's seat height position even my wife' knees were hitting the steering column while getting out or in. This may not be a big issue with upper models with tilt steering but I was looking for Sportz model due to budget.

Overall not completely happy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks