Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2015, 10:25   #1066
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

10 days since the acquisition and my odometer reads 614 km. The drive is 400 km in highway conditions and 214 km in city conditions (approximately). Mileage stands at 11.87 km. Is this normal for a new engine or on the lower side?

My vehicle: Sportz petrol special edition.
Old 28th September 2015, 20:36   #1067

PDI for my car (Polar White) is done. Hurray, the car is September 2015 make.
Everything is OK. However, the car came with Apollo Alnac 4g, anyone could shed light on its performance.

Further the radio antenna is a lengthy, rather a “traditional” one in my car. Off late I could see some of the bhpians posting their car with the shorter antenna.
How does Hyundai decides on this fitment? Is it possible to replace the existing antenna with the one from Grand i10? (shorter antenna)
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img_20150928_133912421.jpg  

Old 28th September 2015, 22:15   #1068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirjee View Post
How does Hyundai decides on this fitment? Is it possible to replace the existing antenna with the one from Grand i10? (shorter antenna)
The antenna is a simple screw on fitment. It can be unwound and another antenna can be fitted, as long as the threads match.

I'm not sure the Grand i10 antenna will fit. Perhaps the shorter stubbier antenna from the i20 Active is a more natural fit.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 00:46   #1069
BHPian

Quote:

Further the radio antenna is a lengthy, rather a “traditional” one in my car. Off late I could see some of the bhpians posting their car with the shorter antenna.
You should ask your dealer whether you can buy the antenna the new Asta(O) varaint comes with.

If that's not possible, you can buy the sparco antenna mentioned a few pages back on the this thread.

By the way Congratulations on the car it looks great in white.
chirag08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 16:18   #1070
BHPian

Quote:
Further the radio antenna is a lengthy, rather a “traditional” one in my car.
Maybe the small antenna comes with the Asta(O) option. Check with teh dealer.
Congratulations on your new ride. Apollo is good too.
AveekKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 14:30   #1071
dvv
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhasir View Post
Mileage stands at 11.87 km. Is this normal for a new engine or on the lower side?
Hi, the mileage seems a bit low considering the amount of highway running your vehicle has seen. However, since it is brand new and the engine has probably not run in fully that might be the cause. I usually get about 11-12 kmpl in city driving with full A/C running. On the highways if you drive past 100 KMPH then mileage does take a hit. Maintaining it in the 80-90 KMPH range gives you good mileage.

Cheers!
dvv
dvv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 10:00   #1072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
Hi, the mileage seems a bit low considering the amount of highway running your vehicle has seen. However, since it is brand new and the engine has probably not run in fully that might be the cause. I usually get about 11-12 kmpl in city driving with full A/C running. On the highways if you drive past 100 KMPH then mileage does take a hit. Maintaining it in the 80-90 KMPH range gives you good mileage.

Cheers!
dvv
It is perfectly fine for a new car. You car will show it's real world mileage figures post 5000 kms minimum. I own a 7 months old Elite i20 Sports(O) Crdi.

I took the car, filled in full tank diesel and calculated the mileage. It was 12. Being a diesel car, I expected much more mileage and I was like... I would have taken the Honda Amaze instead even if it feels cheap

1st service was over and I checked the mileage again. She gave me ~15 and I was almost happy

After 4k kms, I used the ELM327+Torque combo in my car and found out that she gives maximum mileage in 5th and 6th gears. Changed my driving nature a bit.

Checked the mileage again at 5k kms, now it gave an awesome mileage of 20kmpl. I thought, it was some error, so checked again and again for 2-3 times more. Every time, 17.9, 20.1, 21

All these figures are for CRDI Elite alone and driven at sane speeds and occasional triple digit bursts and some fun drags. 70% Highway driving, 30% City driving & FULL TIME ACC set at 23*C

My friend's Honda city D gives a mileage of around 18kmpl even though the company promised mileage is a whole lot higher. And my Honda Jazz V petrol gives a mileage of ~14Kmpl (She clocked only <1000 kms so far. Still running on temp regn). Of course the i20 petrol delivers sarcastic mileage, but it wont be stuck at 11kmpl anyways. You may see upto 14kmpl with a fine throttle drive.
vishnurajanme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 14:56   #1073

Hello All. I got hold of my Elite i20 Asta(O) 20 days back and I am loving every moment of it . The AVN touchscreen looks premium and the touch response is good, though not great. There have been few niggles, some regular and some as come as a surprise, so need the feedback of fellow bhpians having Asta (O) if you too are facing them.

1. Every morning as I sit in my car and start the ignition, I am greeted with loud radio sound which is quite annoying given the fact that I kept the volume low when I last turned it off. The user manual says that the volume settings last preset before turning the ignition off are applied when I start the car again.

2. This one came as surprise and it happened thrice in last 20 days. I turned the ignition on and was waiting for the AVN screen to turn on, but alas. I pressed the on/off button but nothing happened. I turned the ignition off, played with all buttons, but still dead as a rock. I exited the vehicle, locked the doors, again unlocked and turned on and then it comes out of its deep hibernation finally. As i said, it happened thrice, need to get this checked.

3. Has anyone else felt that the maps are quite outdated. I drive my vehicle in Hyderabad, so i have not used the maps when inside the city. But when I took her for highway trips twice, I found out that the maps were outdated and it was giving me wrong suggestions. They are outdated by atleast 2 years in my opinion.
The manual doesn't clearly say how to update the maps. In one section, it is mentioned that the ignition must be on when the maps are being updated. But how do I even start the update?
Also it seems, Hyundai is providing 2 free map updates during the warranty period. Does this mean I have to pay for updating the maps after 2 years?

4. Might be this has nothing to do with touchscreen, but I sometimes struggle to connect my HTC One M8 bluetooth for hands free and audio. Whenever this happens, I had to manually connect from the list of paired devices.

I will get all above issues checked during my first service due in a week's time. Meanwhile please pour in your experiences and let me know if you faced these issues already.
Old 1st October 2015, 16:29   #1074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by makk View Post
1. Every morning as I sit in my car and start the ignition, I am greeted with loud radio sound which is quite annoying given the fact that I kept the volume low when I last turned it off. The user manual says that the volume settings last preset before turning the ignition off are applied when I start the car again.
First of all congratulation on your new purchase and welcome to the Elite club. Regarding your point, haven't experienced this so far. Rather, the volume of the radio is the regular volume is listen to, so maybe it didn't strike me as odd.

Quote:
2. This one came as surprise and it happened thrice in last 20 days. I turned the ignition on and was waiting for the AVN screen to turn on, but alas. I pressed the on/off button but nothing happened. I turned the ignition off, played with all buttons, but still dead as a rock. I exited the vehicle, locked the doors, again unlocked and turned on and then it comes out of its deep hibernation finally. As i said, it happened thrice, need to get this checked.
The right knob is the on off switch. Just pressing it once should let you switch on the AVN. Off mode is when the clock is displayed. If it doesn't switch on, contact your SA.

Quote:
3. Has anyone else felt that the maps are quite outdated. I drive my vehicle in Hyderabad, so i have not used the maps when inside the city. But when I took her for highway trips twice, I found out that the maps were outdated and it was giving me wrong suggestions. They are outdated by atleast 2 years in my opinion.
The manual doesn't clearly say how to update the maps. In one section, it is mentioned that the ignition must be on when the maps are being updated. But how do I even start the update?
Also it seems, Hyundai is providing 2 free map updates during the warranty period. Does this mean I have to pay for updating the maps after 2 years?
Haven't received my card yet, so cannot comment.

Quote:
4. Might be this has nothing to do with touchscreen, but I sometimes struggle to connect my HTC One M8 bluetooth for hands free and audio. Whenever this happens, I had to manually connect from the list of paired devices.
My Nexus connects automatically as soon as i switch on bluetooth in my phone. No hassles so far.

A few niggles from my side
  1. Audio quality - I feel the voice volume is far greater than music volume in the AVN unit. Has anyone else experienced it? Sometimes i do not get the best music out of this unit. As in, the background instruments are not aligned as well as i would have hoped when i play through the AVN.
  1. The power window lock button doesn't seem to work. I had it pressed and released and in both occasions, my co passenger was able to pull down/pull up the power window at her side. I think it works only for rear windows. Will need to check the manual again.
  1. Still getting used to the lack of power in my VTVT. Stuck on an incline requires some revving to get moving. My Indica required a half clutch to get going on the same incline.

Last edited by AveekKumar : 1st October 2015 at 16:31.
AveekKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 17:35   #1075
BHPian

Quote:

Congratulations on the car, yes I have felt that the maps are not really accurate and reliable, a lot of POI's are missing for Mumbai. I guess it can only be used to get from one landmark to another, specific POI's and their directions are not really accurate.

Also, I found nothing in the manual about 2 free updates, nor did the Hyundai guys tell me anything at the time of delivery. Can you please show me where it's mentioned in the manual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveekKumar View Post
My Nexus connects automatically as soon as i switch on bluetooth in my phone. No hassles so far.

A few niggles from my side
  1. Audio quality - I feel the voice volume is far greater than music volume in the AVN unit. Has anyone else experienced it? Sometimes i do not get the best music out of this unit. As in, the background instruments are not aligned as well as i would have hoped when i play through the AVN.
  1. The power window lock button doesn't seem to work. I had it pressed and released and in both occasions, my co passenger was able to pull down/pull up the power window at her side. I think it works only for rear windows. Will need to check the manual again.
  1. Still getting used to the lack of power in my VTVT. Stuck on an incline requires some revving to get moving. My Indica required a half clutch to get going on the same incline.
1. The audio quality is decent for my taste , although I am not the best judge considering I prefer to drive without any music . I haven't really noticed any problem.

2.The power window lock only works for the rear windows, its the same in my car.

3. Yes, moving up on an incline requires downshifting to 1st , I experienced it yesterday while moving up a not so steep incline, even my Santro did better on the same road, the petrol variant is seriously under powered for the weight of the car.

The niggles I have noticed are:

1. After going through a particularly bumpy road yesterday,I hear a very soft whirring sound while accelerating in 2nd gear. I am not sure if the sound was present earlier but it was there yesterday. Has anyone else experienced the same?

2. I can't scroll through the last dialled or contact lists with the button on the steering wheel, I haven't connected a pen drive yet so don't know if one can scroll through songs via the steering wheel button or not. Hopefully this can be enabled somehow.

3. The driver side headrest is inclined towards the steering wheel/road, while the passenger side headrest is placed upright/straight, I searched about it online and it seems that this is how it should be and is normal for all cars. I got a pain in the neck after going for a long drive, hopefully will get used to it with time.

4. Also, all 4 tyres were inflated to 40 PSI when I took delivery and the ride was particularly bumpy and noisy for the first 2 days, however I got the pressure corrected and the ride has improved since then.
Old 1st October 2015, 20:27   #1076
BHPian

Hi, the bluetooth issue is particular to the htc one m8 phone. I had a m7 before and it had connection issues with my old swift. My present nexus phone connects to the elite without any hassles. Same is the case with my wifey's moto x2.
Old 2nd October 2015, 14:30   #1077
BHPian

Hi, anyone suggestions on seat cover dealers in Pune? Planning to get some good ones (pseudo leather type).
Old 2nd October 2015, 19:49   #1078

It's been two months now with the Elite now and I am very happy with the overall experience and the performance of the car. In the span of 2 months I got 4 calls from Hyundai asking for feedback and suggestions regarding the overall buying experience of the car, feedback about dealership and the overall performance of the car.

Came back from a trip to Goa last week and I must say that the Elite showed its true colours. There was an instance where I didn't even realize that I was doing 130kmph and it was still ready go beyond without a huff!! It can cruise around all day long in 6th gear in triple digit speeds. Would have certainly liked a better suspension setup but again nothing major to complaint about. Overall I'm quiet happy with my possession...
abhi_dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 10:53   #1079
BHPian

Quote:
PDI for my car (Polar White) is done. Hurray, the car is September 2015 make.
Everything is OK. However, the car came with Apollo Alnac 4g, anyone could shed light on its performance.

Hi,

My car too came with Apollo Alnac 4g. Having driven my vehicle on different surfaces (most of the times wet), I have found the tyres to have great grip, good comfort and cushioning.
anupams is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 12:51   #1080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_dude View Post

Came back from a trip to Goa last week and I must say that the Elite showed its true colours. There was an instance where I didn't even realize that I was doing 130kmph and it was still ready go beyond without a huff!!
Although mine is petrol, I have experienced such instance too when I was driving in Chennai-Bangalore highway. It was racing ahead of 130 kph and I didn't even notice. Like most of them have mentioned, the engine response/pick-up is not very good but once you know right gear shift ratios then its a breeze I love its stability in 3 digit figures.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks