Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2015, 19:26   #1126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
By now, they should start providing 2 airbags, ABS+EBD as standard across all variants.
Maruti Suzuki will launch the Baleno & Ertiga with these as standard across all variants. So Hyundai should not be left behind in the race.
Elite i20 has been there for over a year now, and this car is now being spotted everywhere. With competition gearing up the safety aspect, Hyundai should do the same.
i20, being a competitive product it is, should not miss anything important that the competition can provide.
Agree with you.
Elite i20 being premium hatchback, dual airbags should have been standard across all variants.
Besides I feel EBD should not have been dropped.
And recently launched Asta(o) should have included six airbags like previous gen i20.
Maybe Hyundai kept these features for a mid uplift.
Old 18th October 2015, 12:45   #1127
BHPian

Hi, experts here please guide me. I am in the process of changing foglamp bulbs. I researched a lot and found out that i20 uses 881 bulbs for foglamp. So purchased 881 based H27 30W Cree LED bulbs from ebay US.

I successfully installed one at the driver side by detaching the fender cover a bit by removing 3 screws in the wheel well.

But when I try the same process in the passenger side, I can see a big black box in my way. Because of that black box, my hands cant reach the back portion of the foglamp assembly for removing the bulbs. Please help.
Old 18th October 2015, 13:45   #1128
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme View Post
But when I try the same process in the passenger side, I can see a big black box in my way. Because of that black box, my hands cant reach the back portion of the foglamp assembly for removing the bulbs. Please help.
Can u please post a pic so that situation become somewhat more clear and why don't you remove the fog light than put it back after replacement of the bulb. The fog light I think can be removed by removing a screw below it, if we see it from front, otherwise ask HASS bodyshop guys, because they everday replace bumpers there.
Old 18th October 2015, 14:28   #1129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldrifter View Post
Can u please post a pic so that situation become somewhat more clear and why don't you remove the fog light than put it back after replacement of the bulb. The fog light I think can be removed by removing a screw below it, if we see it from front, otherwise ask HASS bodyshop guys, because they everday replace bumpers there.
Dude, i20 fog lamps are fixed from the inside using clamps. This is applicable to the older i20, the i-Gen and the elite as well. In the i20, fo foglamp bulb removal, we always need to reach the back portion of the foglamp assembly. The wheel well is the appropriate region if you can pry open that wheel fender cover.

I have replaced the bulbs in my cousin's iGen i20, but when I follow the same procedure here, one black box stands in my way, between the foglamps and the wheel well. I think it is the air intake filter or something like that.

If I want to go to HASS, I could have don't that long back. Just want to do it by myself because I am a DIY lover.

Experts please pour your opinions.
Old 18th October 2015, 15:09   #1130
BHPian

Got her during Ganapati but was buried deep in work since then, here's the sneak peek. Will do a proper shoot soon.

Elite - Asta (O) VTVT
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-image.jpeg  

97octane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 10:54   #1131

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveekKumar View Post
Had been to the showroomw yesterday to collect my Navigation SD card and found the display i20 Sports model with a Dusshera offering of
1. Claimed 3D Mats(didn't see the mats in the car)
2. AVN
3. crome garnish front & rear
4. Door Window trim (no idea what that means)
5. Perfume

for ~44K. Attaching pictures. Frankly the add-on AVN looks cheap and not as well integrated as the factory fitted option in Asta (O). This unit looks unrefined, crude & cheap plastics ruin the feel.

Attachment 1425010
Attachment 1425011
Attachment 1425012
Wow! So similar to the Asta(O) AVN. I had to look twice to realise that it's not the same! Are Authorised dealers allowed to fit something which is not company made?
Old 19th October 2015, 18:24   #1132
BHPian

Fellow Owners, Need help!!!

Gave my i20 CRDI Sports (O) for its third service (20k) two weeks back.
It was noted that the silencer had started to rust at few places and the SVC suggested coating / painting the silencer. I agreed and they went for a Zinc coating. (I was told zinc coating, anyways the entire plumbing looks shiny and has a zinc kind of color after the coating)

When I took delivery of the car, noticed that there were a lot of changes in the behavior of the car.
1) The car appeared to be really sluggish.
2) All my preferences and settings of the ICE were gone. (Audio settings)

I checked with the SVC immediately about the performance issue. They told me that it could be because of the new diesel filter and air filter. But after 500 kms and two weeks, the car still feels to be sluggish, egine feels suffocated and lazy and the entire car feels like a different car or may be a new car but definitely not the same car that I drove for the first 20000 km. Mileage seems to have improved a little bit. Also, though the car is sluggish,engine appears to be a lot smoother than earlier. (New engine oil?)

Checked again with the SVC, and got a response that they had disconnected the battery for the coating process. They mentioned that the ECU could have been reset.

Does the i20 has a learning / adaptive ECU?
Or could this be some other issue? Pleas help...
Old 19th October 2015, 19:14   #1133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps_abhijith View Post
But after 500 kms and two weeks, the car still feels to be sluggish, egine feels suffocated and lazy...Does the i20 has a learning / adaptive ECU?
All modern car ECUs have an element of learning/adaption to driving style. However, very often people overrate the learning capabilities. ECUs typically store specific parameters learnt over some amount of engine running time, which typically equates to tens of kilometres.

You've driven 500 kms and still face a problem. This is not due to the ECU being reset by a battery disconnect. Please get it checked. Try another authorised service centre to get a second opinion.

I don't buy the explanation of diesel/air filters - changing these things correctly will only improve the engine performance, not dull it the way you've described.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 21:06   #1134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not an i20 owner, but yeah all cars have the same outline and so my answer is there is definitely a problem other than "ECU". You should also run a mile from this service advisor, no car (that too manual shifting) will have such a huge boost behaviour learning pattern programmed into the ECU.. perhaps if it were a dual clutch automatic with 7 gears then its possible. Manual shifting cars are mostly under the drivers control, we have two controls to accurately modulate the speed of the car viz., gear-shifting and accelerator. If there is an abnormal behaviour compared to what it was earlier, bottom-line there is a problem.

You mentioned i20 silencer, did you mean only the silencer was rusted or parts of the exhaust system as well? Were they all dismantled to be painted? If so incorrect assembly and hence blockage of gas outflow is a possibility because of which the car will become sluggish. 2nd opinion recommended.

Last edited by dark.knight : 19th October 2015 at 21:07.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 11:46   #1135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
You mentioned i20 silencer, did you mean only the silencer was rusted or parts of the exhaust system as well? Were they all dismantled to be painted? If so incorrect assembly and hence blockage of gas outflow is a possibility because of which the car will become sluggish. 2nd opinion recommended.
Rust was focused around the welding in the entire plumbing. The silencer assembly was not dismantled. A 500 km drive is coming up in the weekend. Will check again after that.
Old 20th October 2015, 13:32   #1136
BHPian

Quote:
Fellow Owners, Need help!!!

Gave my i20 CRDI Sports (O) for its third service (20k) two weeks back.
It was noted that the silencer had started to rust at few places and the SVC suggested coating / painting the silencer. I agreed and they went for a Zinc coating. (I was told zinc coating, anyways the entire plumbing looks shiny and has a zinc kind of color after the coating)

When I took delivery of the car, noticed that there were a lot of changes in the behavior of the car.
1) The car appeared to be really sluggish.
2) All my preferences and settings of the ICE were gone. (Audio settings)

I checked with the SVC immediately about the performance issue. They told me that it could be because of the new diesel filter and air filter. But after 500 kms and two weeks, the car still feels to be sluggish, egine feels suffocated and lazy and the entire car feels like a different car or may be a new car but definitely not the same car that I drove for the first 20000 km. Mileage seems to have improved a little bit. Also, though the car is sluggish,engine appears to be a lot smoother than earlier. (New engine oil?)

Checked again with the SVC, and got a response that they had disconnected the battery for the coating process. They mentioned that the ECU could have been reset.

I also got the third service done of my Elite i20 Asta Diesel about 2-3 weeks back but no change whatsoever after the service. Infact, it felt smoother to drive. I would suggest you to get it checked at another ASS and always get the service done in front of your eyes even at ASS.
ricky_1605 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 17:48   #1137
BHPian

Ask them about the engine oil they have used for the service. If they accidentally used a higher grade oil, it will lead to 2 things.

1. Smoother engine ( as the engine oil is of higher grade, it wont lose it's viscosity at even higher temperatures)

2. Low performance ( as the oil is of higher grade and is more viscous, it will provide more friction against the piston movements)

Unfortunately in your case, both the things are correct. May be they have used verna 1.6's oil in the 1.4 crdi engine. Just a guess

There can be one more issue. The oil filter the have used may be clogged due to some reason. Maybe unknowingly they must have left a piece of cloth scrap inside the filter bay or so.

Regarding the battery disconnection, it is a process they have to do before any repair. It wont do any harm at all except flushing out all the settings you have saved till date.

Yes, it may affect the acceleration a bit, but wont be even that noticeable. This is because the air-fuel mixture ratio is controlled by the ecu and as the ecu is reset, it may take around 50 kms to relearn your way of driving to adjust the ratio accordingly for optimum efficiency.

Apart from these, there shouldn't be any issues.
Regarding the engine oil grade, I guess you can find it in your bill. Just check to confirm.

Last edited by vishnurajanme : 20th October 2015 at 17:52.
vishnurajanme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 23:19   #1138
Senior - BHPian

Elite i20 Recommended Gear Oil, Coolant Brand and Interval

Hi Friends,

I have some doubts regarding the Periodic Maintenance of Elite i20 Diesel.

The Manual recommends the following-
1. Replace the Engine coolant at first 30000 Km or 36 months then every 120000 Km or 72 months.

2. Replace Manual transaxle fluid every 60000 Km.

But considering the fact (and experience I got) that the Engine Oil used at my Hyundai Dealer is from Open Barrel, I doubt whether the Engine Coolant and Gear Oil used is of recommended grade (especially Gear Oil given its lower viscosity grade- 70W) and will it sustain the recommended Interval of 30000 Km and 60000 Km, respectively.

What do you guys suggest/advise?

Our car has run 19000+ Kms and I have done the 3rd Free Service and am worried about the 30000 Km service where I will have to replace the Gear Oil and Coolant (and Brake Fluid as well). On the side note, I am thinking to get the All the Lubs (Engine Oil, Gear Oil, Brake Oil, Coolant) changed at @25000 Km odo reading itself.

Any pointers?

EDIT: -
There is a Section too where Maintenance Under Severe Usage Conditions is given
Under that it is recommended to Replace the-
1) Engine Oil every 5000 Km,
2) Gear Oil every 30000 Km.

I will be replacing the Engine Oil every 5000 Km henceforth (at HASS) but with my choice of Oil (I will buy Oil from outside).
Just I want my doubts previous to "EDIT: -" to be cleared.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 20th October 2015 at 23:38.
Old 21st October 2015, 10:28   #1139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
The Manual recommends the following-
1. Replace the Engine coolant at first 30000 Km or 36 months then every 120000 Km or 72 months.

2. Replace Manual transaxle fluid every 60000 Km.

I doubt whether the Engine Coolant and Gear Oil used is of recommended grade (especially Gear Oil given its lower viscosity grade- 70W) and will it sustain the recommended Interval of 30000 Km and 60000 Km, respectively.

What do you guys suggest/advise?

Our car has run 19000+ Kms and I have done the 3rd Free Service and am worried about the 30000 Km service where I will have to replace the Gear Oil and Coolant (and Brake Fluid as well). On the side note, I am thinking to get the All the Lubs (Engine Oil, Gear Oil, Brake Oil, Coolant) changed at @25000 Km odo reading

1. Do as per your manual always. No need to replace the oils or filters at an earlier interval except if you live in an area which is extra hot and is very dusty.

2. Your SC will change the oils as per the recommended grades mentioned in the service book. You have got the whole right to find out the genuinely of this. In the bill, the oil grade will be mentioned. If not, directly ask the service manager. They will surely explain

3. Even though the service is done in a regular interval and all the fluids are changed with that, it is not mandatory that the fluids need to be changed at those timings alone. If you feel that brake is getting tight/ feeling low brake in a highway ride, do brake bleeding and change the liquid. If you feel that the engine is getting heated too often, change the coolant, if the gear is becoming harder to operate, change the gear oil etc

5. It is better to reach out for the service center at the worst scenario. This is because, no service centers fix things better than the factory itself

4. Don't get worried about the future. Live in the present world :P
Old 22nd October 2015, 17:12   #1140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme View Post
881 based H27 30W Cree LED bulbs
Have you found the way to fix the bulb? If yes, can you post some pics?

I am about to receive my elite in a couple of days and I am interested in this LED fog lights.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd October 2015 at 09:40. Reason: u > you; please refrain from using SMS lingo while posting on the forums.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks