Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2015, 17:23   #1096
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Had been to the showroomw yesterday to collect my Navigation SD card and found the display i20 Sports model with a Dusshera offering of
1. Claimed 3D Mats(didn't see the mats in the car)
2. AVN
3. crome garnish front & rear
4. Door Window trim (no idea what that means)
5. Perfume

for ~44K. Attaching pictures. Frankly the add-on AVN looks cheap and not as well integrated as the factory fitted option in Asta (O). This unit looks unrefined, crude & cheap plastics ruin the feel.

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-ahkqm42ul9jhmucettltsmigodkpwxpakxenpi3ltg68.jpg
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-ah0nszxdqch4ndw3ueimw0gu74x4soorzwzddyb9l.jpg
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-ah0nszxdqch4ndw3ueimw0gu74x4soorzwzddyb9l.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-av63a14ge1bjm8ac0qcqdhz8own_cq6yuhehbccj9g01.jpg  

AveekKumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 11:19   #1097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveekKumar View Post
It is a Chinese made player. Dont go for it.

http://www.avninc.in/my-avn-2020-concert.htm
vishnurajanme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 11:36   #1098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme View Post
It is a Chinese made player. Dont go for it.

http://www.avninc.in/my-avn-2020-concert.htm
Just noticed that it's different from what we get in Asta (O)

Are they finding it difficult to sell limited edition? I went for limited edition only for its design and alloy wheels. I love exclusive feel. I know lot of sane buyers will compare it with Sportz (O) (almost same price as limited edition) as it comes with push button start, keyless entry, smart key etc
Old 12th October 2015, 13:55   #1099
BHPian

Has anyone found liquid/oil below their Elite i20 cars after a long gap(5-6 hours). I have observed some residue below my car daily when I reverse from my parking early morning & after work. I felt the liquid between my fingers today and found it to be a watery liquid(not water). Considering the car is ~3 weeks old now, needed to be sure if this is common in other i20s as well or not. I doubt it will be AC water since its been a long time and water in such small amounts will evaporate.
Also, if my brakes are lightly pressed and i travel over an uneven section of road, i can feel some distinct heavy vibrations. Need inputs on what this is as well. Is it the ABS?
Worried if the liquid is in any way brake fluid or not.

Last edited by AveekKumar : 12th October 2015 at 14:00.
Old 12th October 2015, 15:02   #1100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone found liquid/oil below their Elite i20 cars after a long gap(5-6 hours). I have observed some residue below my car daily when I reverse from my parking early morning & after work. I felt the liquid between my fingers today and found it to be a watery liquid(not water).
Don't worry much. The watery liquid could very well be water, which gets accumulated underneath the car from condensation of vapour while passing over the AC cooling coil (or evaporator coil).

Next time place a sheet of plan white paper or a wide mouthed utensil to collect this liquid. You will immediately come to know if it is oil or water. If plain water then you have no problem in first place. If oil, then raise the car on a ram the service centre and get it checked for any oil leakages.
Old 12th October 2015, 15:58   #1101

Quote:
Has anyone found liquid/oil below their Elite i20 cars after a long gap(5-6 hours). I have observed some residue below my car daily when I reverse from my parking early morning & after work. I felt the liquid between my fingers today and found it to be a watery liquid(not water). Considering the car is ~3 weeks old now, needed to be sure if this is common in other i20s as well or not. I doubt it will be AC water since its been a long time and water in such small amounts will evaporate.
This has never happened for my i20. Collect the oil/water by placing a white paper next time, and try to identify the color/texture. The fluids in new cars generally still have the original color, so you can easily identify by color.

Still, if in doubt, get it checked at your nearest garage.

Quote:
Also, if my brakes are lightly pressed and i travel over an uneven section of road, i can feel some distinct heavy vibrations. Need inputs on what this is as well. Is it the ABS?
This is nothing but the ABS working, don't worry
Old 12th October 2015, 17:50   #1102
Senior - BHPian

^^
Sorry but it's not ABS.
ABS comes into picture only in hard or panic braking situation not when someone is lightly pressing the brake pedal. ABS is triggered when the brake sensors feel that the wheels are going to lock. That's when ABS takes over and prevents the wheels from locking. Most of us have not experienced ABS in action though our cars are equipped with ABS. I experienced it only once and it is a very scary feeling as you will feel that you are not in control of the brakes. Please 'google' to get more information about the topic.

@Aveekkumar,
I would get it checked thoroughly from the service center/dealership.I hope it's not anything serious.What kind of vibrations you feel and where - steeering/ABC pedals/car floor/seats? Any sort of unusual vibrations should not be ignored.

The liquid below the car is normally the condensed water from the AC pipes. It happens always in my Jazz. Even I was scared the first time I saw it. But please do check if it's water just to be sure.

Last edited by adimicra : 12th October 2015 at 18:15.
Old 12th October 2015, 19:26   #1103

@adimicra If it's not ABS, I am also in trouble, as I have experienced these heavy vibrations at least 4-5 times till now on uneven roads and speed breakers when abruptly braking. I read about this somewhere in the same thread that it's ABS. Even my ASS person said the same during first service when I complained about this.

@aveekkumar are you getting these vibrations recently and often? Because for me it's irregular and once in a while.
Old 12th October 2015, 20:13   #1104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by makk View Post
@adimicra If it's not ABS, I am also in trouble, as I have experienced these heavy vibrations at least 4-5 times till now on uneven roads and speed breakers when abruptly braking. I read about this somewhere in the same thread that it's ABS. Even my ASS person said the same during first service when I complained about this.

@aveekkumar are you getting these vibrations recently and often? Because for me it's irregular and once in a while.
Yes, it is abs. Owns the crdi for 7 months and 10k kms as for now. I routinely experience the same at uneven roads. Some how, the elite abs is much more sensitive than other cars. I owned a swift earlier and own a jazz and elite now. Jazz is too new to experience such situations, but in the elite, about 20-30 times i have felt the same. In slippery surfaces, it is activated even in soft braking. Often experience the same in highways under hard braking.

It is like, the brake pedal moves to and fro automatically when the car is hard braken or braken normally in slippery surfaces.

Btb, the liquid is nothing but water. Elite uses a hefty ac condenser, with a higher capacity than most other cars in this class.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th October 2015 at 07:22. Reason: Language
Old 12th October 2015, 20:41   #1105
Senior - BHPian

First of all, uneven roads doesn't mean slippery.
I can't imagine how ABS can come into play on light braking when there is no chance of wheel locking. Slippery surface I can still understand but why would it happen on just uneven roads.

@makk and @aveekkumar - Where do you feel the vibrations? Is the brake pedal moving up and down (like someone else doing the braking for you) or you feel vibrations in steering etc? Does it happen only on slippery surfaces only?
Old 12th October 2015, 21:05   #1106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
First of all, uneven roads doesn't mean slippery.
I can't imagine how ABS can come into play on light braking when there is no chance of wheel locking. Slippery surface I can still understand but why would it happen on just uneven roads.

@makk and @aveekkumar - Where do you feel the vibrations? Is the brake pedal moving up and down (like someone else doing the braking for you) or you feel vibrations in steering etc? Does it happen only on slippery surfaces only?
By uneven, i meant the roads of Kerala. Here there are more gutters than tarmac. So the roads are quite uneven and even altos are tamed to run as SUVs. You do feel that to and fro motion clearly.

It is just like someone pushing the brakes hard, leaving it off, then repeating the same process.

And yes, ABS works even when there is not chance of wheel locking. It works to provide the best grip and braking together. So braking at slippery surfaces means, there will be some wheel slips in non abs cars. But with abs equipped one, even that is avoided. Yes, it is a truth that the elite abs get activated 50% more often than other cars. Don't know why. But no issues so far with the braking department. The braking power is too much that, once while hard braking, one bike rider rammed my car's rear bumper. :(

Regarding vibrations:

My swift after 8k kms, squeaking sound from rear suspension when car recovers from potholes, vibrations at clutch after 17k kms, and vibrations and sqeaking sounds all over when I finally sold it.
My new jazz, vibrations (feeble) at the gear lever even before the 1st service. Only felt when we touch it at 3rd and 4th gears.
My cousin's 1st gen i20: there was steering vibrations when he bought it. The steering was so lousy. It even had issues at the left and rightmost positions when it was turned maximum. Feels like something is grinding the steering from inside. Still he owns the car. A pain in the ass with that messed up steering though, it is a good performer in the city.
My elite: No vibrations from any part of the car after 7 months of acquisition and the 10k mark nearing.

Hyundai evolved a lot!!! Period!

Last edited by vishnurajanme : 12th October 2015 at 21:14.
vishnurajanme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 21:53   #1107
Senior - BHPian

I am going to stick to the cause of those vibrations and not about evolution of Hyundai and comparison with other cars.

I don't know about Elite I20 that much but ABS should not come into play under normal braking. Period. May be the I20 has some special extra sensitive ABS. And even if somehow the ABS comes into play, why vibrations?

Now, the entire discussion about ABS came from the fact that some people are experiencing vibrations while braking. Let them clarify what kind of vibrations they are finding. As you said, you have not experienced any vibrations. So, what you experienced and what others experienced might not be the same. I will wait for further information from @makk abd @aveekkumar.

I would also request team bhp technical gurus to comment on the issue being discussed.

Last edited by adimicra : 12th October 2015 at 22:03.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 23:29   #1108
Distinguished - BHPian

The OP will be well advised if the car is taken for a check-up at the service station just to make sure the braking function is normal. As for vibrations, its not exactly mentioned where the vibrations are coming from, just that they are distinct & heavy. If its the brake pedal that is vibrating or rather pulsing then most probably it should be the ABS.

As far as how ABS's really work, it depends on which type they are, it can be 4, 3 or 2 channel. 4 channel ABS monitors all wheels & hence are the most sensitive of them all. The 3 or 2 channel ABS's are typically restricted to larger vehicles. I think the i20 has a 4-channel ABS with EBD (EBD is a tweak to ABS which decides how much force per wheel is required for optimum stoppage). Its nothing new that ABS kicks in sometimes during bumpy roads when at medium speeds (a combination of sensors detecting each wheel being thrown about followed by sudden jamming of brakes during that time by the driver thus triggering speed sensors). Perhaps driving slower might offset this behaviour, also tyre pressures should be uniform on all 4. If all else fails the ABS system might need servicing/check-up.

I will not argue against the concept of ABS, however sometimes it is counter-productive to its purpose. Studies have indeed shown that it prevented wheel-lock accidents by about 35% in wet roads, but it only reduced dry-road incidents by under 9%. Technically its an always-active safety assist, so whenever its not helping you re-gain control of your car it might err in the side of caution and do such things. If OP feels that this braking behaviour is out of the ordinary, a good service station should take a look as soon as possible.

Last edited by dark.knight : 12th October 2015 at 23:34.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 23:47   #1109
BANNED

Quote:
Dark.knight has answered your doubt. When going over pothole hole road the ABS will pitch in and pulsate.

Does this happen on flat, good roads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Its nothing new that ABS kicks in sometimes during bumpy roads when at medium speeds (a combination of sensors detecting each wheel being thrown about followed by sudden jamming of brakes during that time by the driver thus triggering speed sensors).
You are right. It is the ABS and I have observed the same in my Swift too.

Last edited by a4anurag : 12th October 2015 at 23:49.
Old 13th October 2015, 05:28   #1110
BHPian

Guys,

I think am visiting the service centre soon. Problems that are affecting my car are:

1. Noise while pressing of clutch and brake, from the lever itself
2. Suspension feels very stiff (subjective)
3. Brakes have lost bite. Too spongy and are not reassuring at all. May be needs bleeding
4. Gears are a bit notchy. Miss the smooth shift the elite i20 is famous for
5. Noise from rear wiper water dispenser
6. Minor color touchups

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks