Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2015, 15:32   #1081

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Hi Guys, I have observed that FM audio does not sound sharp/clear in Elite i20's audio system, compared to other cars and other audio systems.
I am not sure if it is an issue with the system itself or with my FM antenna.

Anyone Elite i20 owner from Bangalore, who can give me some inputs?
Old 4th October 2015, 17:42   #1082
BHPian

FM radio means, you hardly get any clarity of sound boss. I20 is equipped with component speakers. Most other cars comes with normal combo ones. So i20 is able to reproduce sounds with higher bitrate in crystal clear spectrum, but when it comes to the fm, there is lots of noise which comes in the system along with the actual song which is played too. So what happens, you hear that noise clearly too. When you use the fm radio, try adjusting the treble a bit. Lower it. May sound like other cars.
vishnurajanme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2015, 22:27   #1083

Been driving my Elite i20 Asta(O) for a month now. The AVN system does have the issue of not turning on at times. I have to turn off the ignition completely and sometimes even step out of the car and lock it. After unlocking the car it starts working. Weird! Mileage is the biggest bummer for me. It struggles to get upto 12kmpl. However I didn't find the steering to be too light which is s good thing. Overall it's a good experience if not a great one. I hate to this though being the owner of Elite i20, it surely is overrated!
Old 5th October 2015, 07:35   #1084
BHPian

Avisek this is an already reported issue. You better contact your service center and fix it soon. If it is a petrol i20, the maximum you are going to get is 14kmpl after the run in period. Hyundai petrols are not known for high fuel efficiency. They are known for premiumness inside and outside. Thats all. My diesel i20 gives a combined mileage hovering at 20kmpl.
Old 5th October 2015, 14:00   #1085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisek View Post
Been driving my Elite i20 Asta(O) for a month now. The AVN system does have the issue of not turning on at times. I have to turn off the ignition completely and sometimes even step out of the car and lock it. After unlocking the car it starts working. Weird!
Yes i had the same issue with my week old Elite. AVN would not start. Stepped out and locked the car with my smart key and bam, the AVN switched on(the car was dead). Tried again and could not reproduce the issue when i took my car to the showroom today. SA didn't have a clue and got the usual response of fuse/relay might have been loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanishkster View Post
Hi Guys, I have observed that FM audio does not sound sharp/clear in Elite i20's audio system, compared to other cars and other audio systems.
I am not sure if it is an issue with the system itself or with my FM antenna.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme View Post
FM radio means, you hardly get any clarity of sound boss. I20 is equipped with component speakers. Most other cars comes with normal combo ones. So i20 is able to reproduce sounds with higher bitrate in crystal clear spectrum, but when it comes to the fm, there is lots of noise which comes in the system along with the actual song which is played too. So what happens, you hear that noise clearly too. When you use the fm radio, try adjusting the treble a bit. Lower it. May sound like other cars.
Yes i have observed the same. There is a lot of noise. Sometimes i feel the sound system is too good which is causing all this problem. You can really hear every single note playing in the background & sometimes that really really stands out, so much so, that you feel the song is not playing in sync. I try not to think too deep into the music and dissect every cord. Just enjoy it in the background.
AveekKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 15:56   #1086

Quote:
Avisek this is an already reported issue. You better contact your service center and fix it soon. If it is a petrol i20, the maximum you are going to get is 14kmpl after the run in period. Hyundai petrols are not known for high fuel efficiency. They are known for premiumness inside and outside. Thats all. My diesel i20 gives a combined mileage hovering at 20kmpl.
vishnurajanme I don't mind 12kmpl, but yes if it does get to 14kmpl I would be elated! From a premium point of view, well it doesn't seem anymore premium than my i10 1.1 really. If you are talking about the gadgets, I'd give it to you! If there is anything else technical which is premium and I am not getting it, then maybe I am just too noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveekKumar View Post
Yes i had the same issue with my week old Elite. AVN would not start. Stepped out and locked the car with my smart key and bam, the AVN switched on(the car was dead). Tried again and could not reproduce the issue when i took my car to the showroom today. SA didn't have a clue and got the usual response of fuse/relay might have been loose.
Is that what they said??? My car is due for the first service next week. I will surely ask the SA, but going by what you are saying I don't think I will have luck with them. So much so for buying the Asta(O) with AVN!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th October 2015 at 14:54. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote feature (QUOTE +) to quote and respond to multiple posts.
Old 5th October 2015, 17:00   #1087
BHPian

Quote:
Is that what they said??? My car is due for the first service next week. I will surely ask the SA, but going by what you are saying I don't think I will have luck with them. So much so for buying the Asta(O) with AVN!
Well best of luck with that. I do not know how much of training these guys have gone through as yet. Keep us posted on your findings. Best will be if you can replicate the issue on the service floor.
Old 5th October 2015, 20:34   #1088

Quote:
vishnurajanme I don't mind 12kmpl, but yes if it does get to 14kmpl I would be elated!
Well I am already elated, as I am consistently getting a minimum average of 14~15 with my Elite i20 in city driving, with AC turned ON most of the times.
Am not sure which of the following is the contributing factor, but this is what I have been practising:

1. Tyre pressure of 32~33.
2. Considering that the engine is slightly under powered, I try to be serious about speed to gear ratio. I took recommendation from gear shift indicator in initial days and later got used to it.
3. I prefer smooth acceleration, rather than pushing the pedal hard (try to keep RPM low). Just need to be patient with this car.
4. Have been driving with 2 passengers most of the times (including driver).
5. I turn off the engine on traffic signals where you've to wait longer than 30 seconds. Although it is annoying that the doors get unlocked and you have to manually lock them again after starting the car (no speed sensing door lock unfortunately).
6. AC is always on automatic climate control mode (however I doubt if this really helps as the compressor seems to be always ON. Only the FAN speed varies automatically - I read it somewhere).
7. I release the accelerator pedal in advance, rather than applying sudden breaks after approaching very close to the obstacle (speed breaker, signal or traffic). Give a break to your ABS !!

Most of these fuel saving tips are already known to everyone.
What I specifically wanted to highlight is that one or more of these practices have been helping me in extracting the best possible mileage from my Elite i20 in worst traffic of Bangalore.

I have got around 18Kmpl on highways, however since I have been to only one such trip, I am not very sure of this figure.
Old 5th October 2015, 21:24   #1089

Quote:
Well best of luck with that. I do not know how much of training these guys have gone through as yet. Keep us posted on your findings. Best will be if you can replicate the issue on the service floor.

This is so random that it might be impossible to replicate on the service floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanishkster View Post
Well I am already elated, as I am consistently getting a minimum average of 14~15 with my Elite i20 in city driving, with AC turned ON most of the times.

Am not sure which of the following is the contributing factor, but this is what I have been practising:
===========
Most of these fuel saving tips are already known to everyone.
I have got around 18Kmpl on highways, however since I have been to only one such trip, I am not very sure of this figure.

That was extremely informative! I can only try to get close to the disciplined driving that you do. But I sure can try!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th October 2015 at 21:40. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use multi-quote feature & quote only the relevant portions of the quoted post
Old 5th October 2015, 21:46   #1090

Quote:
I found the FM sound much better in my Figo and my friend's Honda City, and as far as I know they too have component speakers.
Probably the over stress on clarity (treble) and lack of bass in Hyundai's system (I remember salesman saying that it is actually of Kenwood make) adds to noise.
I however tried lowering the treble but it did not help much.

Quote:
That was extremely informative! I can only try to get close to the disciplined driving that you do. But I sure can try!
Yeah, but no need to be extra conscious. You sometimes need to let loose and enjoy your drive as well
You can try all this based on your convenience and with time you will develop these habits !!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th October 2015 at 14:54. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 6th October 2015, 14:33   #1091

Quote:
Originally Posted by makk View Post
1. Every morning as I sit in my car and start the ignition, I am greeted with loud radio sound which is quite annoying given the fact that I kept the volume low when I last turned it off. The user manual says that the volume settings last preset before turning the ignition off are applied when I start the car again.
My bad! There is a setting in AVN where you can set the default maximum volume you prefer to have when you start the car. Somehow, mine was set very high.

Quote:
The right knob is the on off switch. Just pressing it once should let you switch on the AVN. Off mode is when the clock is displayed. If it doesn't switch on, contact your SA.
I had my first service last week. The SA has taken the complaint because there is a different team which has developed this software so they will get back in some time. He has asked me to send a photo when this problem occurs again. Now I am waiting for this problem to happen!!

Now the best part! Had been to Bangalore for the weekend with her and my better half. The Hyderabad-Bangalore highway (NH-7) is so tempting, drove her at 3-digit speeds, at times beyond 130kmph and she cruises like a breeze. Overtaking at 6th gear was not at all an issue, just a slight press on accelerator was enough. Haven't experienced any bodyroll at curves or during overtaking.

One observation. When I was in Electronic City, Bangalore, I happened to meet my friend who owns a previous generation i10. I found that my i20 is more bumpy (particularly for those sitting in the rear seats) through the pot holes and speed breakers, when compared to his i10. I kept the tyre pressures at recommended levels. Is this something to do with wider tyres? I think this was pointed out and discussed already somewhere, but still asking.
Old 8th October 2015, 09:15   #1092
BHPian

Quote:
I found that my i20 is more bumpy (particularly for those sitting in the rear seats) through the pot holes and speed breakers, when compared to his i10.
At what speeds did you drive both the cars and in what sorts of roads did you feel it bumpy?
Old 8th October 2015, 12:22   #1093

Quote:
At what speeds did you drive both the cars and in what sorts of roads did you feel it bumpy?
As I said, the roads were very bad, so it was merely 10-20 kmph speed for both cars. Today morning when I was discussing this with my friend, he was citing the reason as longer wheel base of i20.
Old 8th October 2015, 13:19   #1094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As I said, the roads were very bad, so it was merely 10-20 kmph speed for both cars. Today morning when I was discussing this with my friend, he was citing the reason as longer wheel base of i20.
I doubt the wheelbase would have anything to do with it, maybe the suspension is stiffened or tyres over-inflated.
I have the same bounciness in my 2012 Punto, so can related to it.

cheers
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 13:48   #1095
BHPian

Quote:
That bumpiness should be there. i20's suspension will surely be stiffer than the i10 suspension. i10 is a smaller car with a smaller engine. It is designed to run at much lower speeds. So it's suspension will be tuned that way, to feel more cocooned at lower speeds. i20 is a much bigger car with higher displacement. It is designed to run at higher speeds. So suspension will be a bit stiff.

You can try this too.
Run both the cars at the same roads on 40+ speeds. i20 will amaze you.
Or, run both the cars on the highway.
vishnurajanme is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks