Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2015, 16:32   #1156

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckranjan View Post
No problem in doing high speeds. FE will be hit. expect 15-16 KM/L max. If the car is fully loaded you will feel the engine getting strained. Upto 2 people no issues. If the highway is undivided, you will need to downshift for overtaking.

The USP of i20 is not performance.
Thanks for the info
yeah. it will be just two people with little bit of luggage. nothing too heavy.!
will keep an eye on performance and update here so that others can make use of the info.
Old 27th October 2015, 16:46   #1157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blood_velocity View Post
Hi Guys,
... will the engine get strained too much.
I did 120 km/hr on my drive to coorg and saw that revs hover around 3100 for 120 km/hr.
Also any serious impact on FE at such high speed ?
For an engine redlining at 6k RPM, 3.1K is not a big deal at all. Infact many experts recommend doing an 'Italian Job' like this once in a while.

FE will definitely take a hit. For a petrol i20, 80-100kmph is the range where you can extract the maximum mileage. You should see your mileage drop by almost 10% if you are constantly cruising at 120.
racer_ash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 16:56   #1158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme View Post
I was driving most of the time at the 6th cog (Yes, the car will move at 6th gear even though the engine resonance is prominent). I thought it would reward a great mileage. But to my surprise, the yellow light came in much earlier.

I got around 15kmpl mileage only
As others mentioned, you were lugging the engine which is very bad for the motor in the long run.

Another point to add is that your i20 is a turbo diesel. 6th gear at 55Kmph is well below the turbo zone. The function of the turbo is to suck in larger volume of air into the engine. Now if you run at slow speeds in higher gear the turbo is not able to spool up thereby depriving the engine of air to burn along with fuel. Now to compensate for the less air the engine will pump more fuel and run rich thereby consuming more fuel.

Ofcourse all this is not as simple as it sounds and nowadays is a lot more complicated how the fuel is managed. What I explained above is a very high level gist of what happens.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 19:40   #1159

Quote:
Originally Posted by blood_velocity View Post
Coming back to point. The roads are good and one can easily do 120 km/hr on the roads. so my question is that will the car be okay in doing higher speeds, say 120 km/hr, for longer intervals of time ? will the engine get strained too much.
I did 120 km/hr on my drive to coorg and saw that revs hover around 3100 for 120 km/hr.
Also any serious impact on FE at such high speed ?
I did a Hyderabad - Bangalore two-way trip just after my first service. Since it was the first long trip for my i20 diesel, I maintained speeds of 80-100 kmph during my onward journey and my car returned 19kmpl.
However, during my return journey, I cruised at a constant 120+kmph. I was shocked to see my FE drop to 14kmpl.
Old 28th October 2015, 07:17   #1160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by makk View Post
I did a Hyderabad - Bangalore two-way trip just after my first service. Since it was the first long trip for my i20 diesel, I maintained speeds of 80-100 kmph during my onward journey and my car returned 19kmpl.
However, during my return journey, I cruised at a constant 120+kmph. I was shocked to see my FE drop to 14kmpl.
Considering your car is a crdi, it should not be in that way. Refer to my previous post here. I lugged the engine at 55kmph and the mileage was only 15. But when I rode her at 100+ speeds, the mileage rose to 21

My i20 has done 11k kms and this may be the difference.
Old 28th October 2015, 16:42   #1161
BHPian

Going to take delivery of my Elite i20 Asta(o) Diesel today evening. Can't wait to drive the car. A detailed review comparing my 2k11 i20 with the Elite i20 is under construction. Trying to cover all the vital areas. Wish me good luck

Drive safe.
Asta_la_vista is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 18:46   #1162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta_la_vista View Post
Going to take delivery of my Elite i20 Asta(o) Diesel today evening. Can't wait to drive the car. A detailed review comparing my 2k11 i20 with the Elite i20 is under construction. Trying to cover all the vital areas. Wish me good luck

Drive safe.
Wow, you already own an i20 and buying the elite now. Why bro?

:O
Old 29th October 2015, 00:44   #1163
BHPian

Took delivery of my Elite i20 Asta(o). Existing Asta(o) owners can u please confirm if u received any additional User manual for the AVN? I didn't receive any manual for the AVN and the user manual also does not have any details on how to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme View Post
Wow, you already own an i20 and buying the elite now. Why bro?

:O
The one I had already with me is the 1.2 kappa Magna variant. It was my daily drive. But the lack of safety features and the unenthusiastic engine means the highway runs will be boring and dangerous. So retired the 1.2 for household duties and bought the 1.4 Elite Asta(o) variant as my daily drive.

I cannot think of any other car that can replace the i20 other than the Elite. Detailed answer in my review! Stay tuned!!
Asta_la_vista is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 10:16   #1164
BHPian

Quote:
I cannot think of any other car that can replace the i20 other than the Elite. Detailed answer in my review! Stay tuned!!
My dad was of the same opinion as well. He owns a 2008 Swift and I drive a 2011 i20. Now since his Swift was due for a change, he was hell bent to getting the Elite. Such was his love for my car. Infact we would exchange cars whenever we got a chance and he would not hand over my car to me till the point of blackmailing.

Luckily I managed to change his mind and he has booked a Figo Titanium TDCi primarily because of the convenience of Diesel and safety on offer at ~8L
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 15:30   #1165
BHPian

Quote:
Took delivery of my Elite i20 Asta(o). Existing Asta(o) owners can u please confirm if u received any additional User manual for the AVN? I didn't receive any manual for the AVN and the user manual also does not have any details on how to use it.

The AVN manual will come along with your card which you need to insert in the AVN top right slot. I got mine within a week of delivery, primarily due to laziness by the SA i was dealing with.
AveekKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 18:04   #1166
BHPian

Quote:
There is a separate manual provided for AVN. Got it along with the delivery of the car.
crossroads is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 19:46   #1167

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossroads View Post
There is a separate manual provided for AVN. Got it along with the delivery of the car.
Actually 2 manuals to be precise. One is the Car Navigation system manual and the other is Navigation Map manual.
makk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2015, 02:30   #1168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveekKumar View Post
The AVN manual will come along with your card which you need to insert in the AVN top right slot. I got mine within a week of delivery, primarily due to laziness by the SA i was dealing with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossroads View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by makk View Post
Actually 2 manuals to be precise. One is the Car Navigation system manual and the other is Navigation Map manual.
Got the AVN Manual and SD card from the SA. Didn't know that an SD card is needed for the navigation to work. This is the 1st time am dealing with these navigation systems. Anyways thank you BHPians for your prompt reply.
Old 30th October 2015, 15:12   #1169
BHPian

hello friends.
On the elite i20, that has the cd/mp3 player headunit (not the AVN), can one add an amplifier to the output and is there a separate RCA OUT for a separate amplifier and a subwoofer? If anyone has done this kind of a modification, could you please share on this thread?
If anyone could quickly reply regarding the former, would appreciate, I could order an appropriate 4 channel amp from abroad, this weekend.
thanks in advance.
Old 30th October 2015, 16:02   #1170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
hello friends.
can one add an amplifier to the output and is there a separate RCA OUT for a separate amplifier and a subwoofer?
No, there is no RCA out in the oe head unit but yes, u can add a crossover to the existing head unit and the add your 4 channel amplifier and subwoofer. Be sure not to cut any wires as it will lead to loss of warranty on electrical system.

Happy motoring

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks